Red resort, thoughts??

BenWhite

Hard Yards
Aug 17, 2006
Auckland, NZ
Hi all :)

Ok so have an offer of cheap accom in Red. Bit harder to get to than the standard places (been deciding between Silver Star and Fernie). but what is the town/mountain like overall?

Doesn't seem much smaller than SS (inbounds exc cat area) and about the same as fernie. So probabyl plenty to stay occupied?

Bit close to the USA but can't have it all :)

Cheers

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
It's a wonderful place, excellent skiing, awesome in new snow, as easy and as challenging as you make it, awesome off piste, easy back and side country access, friendly fun bar, chilled out base town of Rossland, good coffee, good hooch, chilled Canadians,

Kinda Crested Butte without yuppies.

Incomparable with SS which is a "resort" and a far more compact a town than Fernie and Red would be colder.

Go

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

Ok so have an offer of cheap accom in Red. Bit harder to get to than the standard places (been deciding between Silver Star and Fernie). but what is the town/mountain like overall?

Doesn't seem much smaller than SS (inbounds exc cat area) and about the same as fernie. So probabyl plenty to stay occupied?

Cheers
It's awesome. Go.

Reactions: SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Not difficult to get to at all. Plane in to Castlegar from Vancouver (providing it's not closed;):D:D). Taxi to Red. Shuttle bus between Rossland and Red.
And I agree 1000% with what everyone else has said.

JeremyG

Hard Yards
Jan 7, 2015
It is an amazing place. Cool, low key town, no crowds, steep mountain, great trees and if it snows - incredible powder.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Our little one broke her leg there...local kinder had her going there everyday after she was patched up and looked after her so we kept skiing. Lovely locals hill.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane

Cheers
We went to Red and Fernie last year (2017). Wife and I preferred Red but the kids liked Fernie.

Rossland is smaller than the town of Fernie but just down the hill from Rossland you have the larger town of Trail with more shops etc.

Red needs a good snow base to open up the newer Grey Mountain area, otherwise you'll find lots of stumps and tree litter all over the place, even on the runs. Red and Granite mountains are ok. Red has lots of tree skiing with some rather steep terrain in the trees. Fernie is more about the open bowls but still has some very challenging terrain. They're both great places, just different.

p.s In relation to getting there, you can drive up from Spokane in the USA or there is a shuttle service if you're not driving.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Do it. When you asked Fernie vs SS I was definitely Fernie but Red vs Fernie you can't lose & Red probably just gets it. You are also only 1hr from Nelson and Whitewater which is an unbelievable resort. Red has some seriously tight steep trees and chutes. It is an awesome town, good pubs rossland brewery is great, free bus up mountain and great vibe. There is a lot of queuing on powder day to get up first lifts as its a bottle neck but then everyone spreads out. A couple of runs you wanna know the route or you'll be hucking off a cliff and not in a pleasant way. Loads of accessible BC & CAT operations. If you are going for the season take or buy an old pair of skis for early season. There are a lot of hidden mines (not literally actually rocks) & literally (Old mine shafts) that blew holes in my favourite skis after a big dump. I think I need to go back to Canada again after all this.

Wardy

One of Us
Jun 7, 2010
The edge of the bell curve
I met a guy in Jackson Hole last year, a local. 30 years working in the ski industry, skied literally everywhere, expert skier, retired to Jackson because it was his favourite mountain. I asked him what was the one resort he'd pick after JH if he could pick only one. He nominated Red.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Best if you have time to stay in Red for a while. For just a week or two it can be hit and miss. Elevation not particularly high so can be sometimes afflicted with the wrong type of moisture - not quite as vulnerable as Fernie though. 3-4 weeks or more in Red should give you the epic conditions you're after. Rossland will give you that classic mountain town experience. The terrain mix is tilted toward the advanced/expert end of the spectrum but there's plenty of grooming for when respite is needed. You can pretty much go as steep as you like in the trees. Doesn't have big swathes of high alpine bowls like KH, Revy, WB but there is great tree skiing with lots of spicy little chutes in the mix if you want them.

kieren gaul

Hard Yards
Sep 2, 2015
Lots of skiing at Red. Also whitewater is awesome - a bit more tan 1 hour away. There is also lots of accesseable side country options. Also, I started the cat skiing operation Big Red Cats there (just 15km away - with our welcome centre at the base of the resort). There is a huge amount of terrain (another 700-800 runs) and some good standby rates for cat skiing in January. We also do separate levels intermediate, advanced, expert and Uber expert. Every year we work hard to add more terrain and more runs - this year we will add another 55 new runs.

It will be a great choice to come to Red. What makes it different is: steep fall line skiing, really amazing real town, great side country, great local skiers, almost no crowds, great snow, really cool challeging terrain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass