1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Reminder for beginners and parents

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Aug 19, 2008.

1. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Over the last week, I've come across a few people having a lot of difficulty getting kids down the home trail. The problem is they have attempted this long run before they have the skills to do it.

There is no point trying to ski wombats or the home trail till you or your child or your friend has some basic edging skills. If you can't do a reasonable snow plough on mousetrap/boardwalk to turn and to stop, then a long run home will be an ordeal.

Yes you'll probably get down eventually, but you will be exhausted and the kid will be miserable and quite possibly put off skiing. Yesterday I saw a boarding dad struggling to free himself from his bindings so he could get to his young son who was a few metres below, over the side and against the trees. He was fine, but it brings to mind scary possibilities.

Don't take someone down wombat's ramble or the home trail till they can snow plough.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Ssshhhhh! Gotta keep us instructors employed!

Without ignorant parents & husbands/boyfriends we'd be unemployed!

3. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We take our little one down there after a full day ski school, BUT we carry him most of the way. He has certain spots that he likes to ski but overall he has more fun on that trail in our arms!!!.

We let him ski what he wants to and carry the rest.

4. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

Yep the best idea is to download to the bottom of the falls express chair.
    We had our 2 kids 8 and 6 first time on ski up at cloud 9 last week they had a few runs on mouse trap and then we downloaded.
    One big tip carry there skis and yours including stocks on the chair and go in pairs not 4 people. Make shore you carry there stocks there is nothing worse when you get to the bottom and you find out there stock is stuck in the chair. Put them on the left hand side of the chair going down that way the lifty can get them off to the side.
    When you get down the bottom you can use the free shuttle back up into the village if you are staying over that way it turns around just above the bottom of falls express chair.
    Its not the perfect way to do it but they had smile on there face when they got back to the lodge and thats all that matters.

5. Sno4WA

Sno4WA One of Us

Agree - we downloaded with our daughter until she was more confident. Then we skied with her between our legs (although snow ploughing all the way down Wombats kills the legs!). Once she was confidently skiing in ski school and the instructors had taken them down - then she loved to lead us down and show us all the little tracks through the trees - it's great when they get to that point!

6. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely First Runs

By day 3 one of our kids had done the ramble (in class), although she wanted to ski down in the afternoon we opted for the chairlift.

Probably in a few weeks if she is still keen she can do the run between my legs or holding my hand/stock.

7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just try putting them in Ski School. It improves their skills and their confidence and is much safer than skiing with them between your legs.

8. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

Our first trip down Wombats Ramble was in a lesson as beginners with a wonderful instructor. She kept telling us to look forward and enjoy the beautiful views! We went over little bumps and through trees. Up until then beginner lessons had been snow ploughs on short runs. Looking back, those lessons probably inspired us to continue skiing more than anything else. And it meant we could get down the mountain safely and confidently!

We don't go down Wombats that often any more - I remember how wobbly people hooning down there disturbed my beginner concentration! But now and again we go down carefully, enjoy the bumps and jumps and remember why we took up skiing.

9. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

[stickler]I'm looking over there but I see no stocks, and is there a shore up in the mountains? Actually there is but it's on the other side of the valley to the Express chair[/stickler]

#9 Snorkler, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013