1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Removal of Seniors concessional free entry

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ocker, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

In the past seniors over 65 years received free entry to Falls Creek resort. Suddenly this has been discontinued and replaced by a 10% discount. A cost increase for seniors of $310 for the season. The only publicity about this I know about this is on the resort entry page of the Falls Creek website. Most seniors would not be going there as in the past they did not need to pay resort entry. Without a lot of publicity over the next month or so a lot of seniors will get a double whammy. They will have to pay resort entry and will miss out on the early bird discount as they did not know that the free entry had been discontinued. Some seniors will have paid a deposit on a seniors lift pass and made other arrangements and commitments in the reasonable expectation that the concessional entry would continue or substantially continue and not be almost wiped out.
    The free entry may seem generous but when you consider that almost no where else in the world do you have to pay to enter a ski resort, and so much of the original basic infrastructure that visitors use at Falls Creek was government and tax payer funded. The SEC built the roads and the CRB sealed them. The SEC built the power network, and a combination of SEC, and government grants and subsidies over 30 years funded much of the initial car parks, sewerage system, public toilets and shelters. Eg. Windy Corner shelter was mainly government funded, a similar shelter near Haley's is now used by FCRM, the bowl public shelter was tax payer funded as was the now demolished one at the Gully Carpark (the space now used for helicopters). Also skiers like me have have been paying entry charges for over 45 years so it is not entirely unreasonable that we get it free after 65. That said I would be happy to pay for seniors entry but I think to replace free entry with a 10% discount is an insult. I think that at least 50% discount is reasonable.
    Whatever charge is reasonable for seniors one aspect is certain for sure in my opinion this whole change is ill-conceived, ill-advised and hastily and improperly implemented.
    This is too big an increase in one step and far too little advance notice. A change as radical as this should have been pre-warned at least last July so seniors had time to plan and adapt. I put it to you that this whole change is ill-conceived, ill-advised and hastily and improperly implemented.
    Senior skiers who are unhappy with this change should email the Minister of Ageing David Davis who is the minister to fight on your behalf email Minister.Davis@health.vic.gov.au
    you should also lodge a complaint with the ombudsman at http://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au
    At the very least seniors should be asking for;
    1. Defer any change to the free concessional entry for seniors until the 2014 year.
    2. The Alpine Resorts Co-ordinating Council should do an evaluation and review as to the level of discount provided to seniors. Any level of discount to seniors less than 50% in the first year of change should require a rigorous justification, impact assessment, and post audit review.

#1 ocker, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Well, all you Senior skiers (and snowboarders, if you must) had better head to Mt Baw Baw this season
    Seniors car entry FREE (All occupants of vehicle must be over 65
    Seniors season lift pass $330.00
    over 70 lift passes free weekend and midweek
    For details see www.mountbawbaw.com.au

#2 Charlie, Feb 28, 2013
  3. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting Ocker. Couple of mates of mine who make the occasional trip to falls used to get the seniors discount. To be honest they only ski three to four hours a day. The price income will probably be enough to put them off. They didn't spend much time on the lifts but I'm sure the money spent in the bar and on food while waiting for us generated substantial income. Just more petty dollar grabbing I reckon.

4. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting Ocker. Couple of mates of mine who make the occasional trip to falls used to get the seniors discount. To be honest they only ski three to four hours a day. The price increase will probably be enough to put them off. They didn't spend much time on the lifts but I'm sure the money spent in the bar and on food while waiting for us generated substantial income. Just more petty dollar grabbing I reckon.

5. weerab

weerab One of Us

Bugger, just when I was getting close! Though I do like Falls charging 1/2 price for singles, makes a difference.

6. BronnyBean

BronnyBean One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

One of the happiest days for my old man was the day he marched up to that ticket window for his free 70+ ticket. He'd been paying through the nose for a good 40 years so I reckon he earnt a few free runs. Poor bugger only got to do a few hours a day and his knees got too bad for him to go back after that season.

This wasn't at FC but my point is the same... anyone that's still skiing after 65 or 70 years of age has probably paid thousands to the resorts over their lifetime, so a little bit of respect is in order!

#6 BronnyBean, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. rukva

rukva One of Us

Geez, by the way they are going I will be 80+ b4 I get a discount in Oz..... And believe me they can lay a gold trail down for me at that age as I would have spent 10's of 1000's in the past 40+ years....

8. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

probably worth keeping in mind that this thread is about RESORT ENTRY not lift prices

70+ years season pass is free (well you will need to pay $3 for RFID)

9. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What about the golden oldies taking the teenage grand-kids up skiing for the day but not actaully skiing themselves.

10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

they could only get in cheap if they did not have grandkids or any other person under 65 in the car. now they can at least take people with them some people may actually save more this way.

It will piss people off but of the over 65s I know who ski (quite a few) I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever on how often they ski.

It may affect people from a bit further afield, eg Myrtleford, Wang, Albury, Wagga.

it was a nice thing while it lasted but not the worst thing to ever happen at falls.

an early bird season pass will cost only $247.50. xc skiing will cost nothing (free for everyone). if they were smart they bought a hero pass for $399. so a whole season for under $750

11. TripleM

TripleM Hard Yards

At some resorts in Japan lift tickets are discounted at age 50!!!! Hakuba 47 is one.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I finally cracked a Senior's Card having hit 60.

Brings lots of discounts: public transport and participating retailers.

Not at FC though. They don't need to. There's plenty of cashed-up baby boomers who can afford the charges.

The Hero Pass introduced last year is however a great boon. Add that to a season entry pass and you have good value.

Weerab, let's hook up again this winter for a day or two touring.

13. weerab

weerab One of Us

Didn't realise you were that old Ziggy, you don't look a day over 58.

You have to be working part time to qualify for the Seniors card so I don't have one.

I'd be glad to hook up for a days skiing, must start getting fit. I was thinking about pulling out the old inline skates this year but don't want to jeopardise my skiing by breaking a leg or something else. Haven't been on them for years when I fell backwards on to my backside.

14. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Others include Iwatake, Cortina/Norikura, Sanosaka & Kashimayari.

#14 Sandy, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  15. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

jeez, I thought we old people were a minority in this forum
    about 2½ years ago I was buying tickets to get into a museum in Helsinki
    the girl gave me a seniors concession without even asking how old I was - 58 at that time
    until then I thought I was doing a great job pretending to be young

16. weerab

weerab One of Us

They asked me at Lake mountain ticket office a couple of years back. I was a bit surprised because I have always looked young, at least I used to. I told them, yeah, I am a senior but no card so i had to pay the whole $40 or whatever.

17. Ziggy

weerab, in Vic you qualify if 60 and fully retired or working < 35 hours per week.

Clicky

Yeah, I've got inline skates sitting unused as well. If they had a decent braking system ...

#17 Ziggy, Mar 27, 2013
  18. currawong

last year on Hoppet day there were demos of a new skate designed for xc training. supposed to have brakes of some sort. can't recall what they were called but I can probably find out. I think the distributor is Len Budge, who would be well known to many in the xc racing community

19. Ziggy

Thanks Curra. No need.

I gym or swim 5x a week just to keep loose; will add in longer cycle rides before winter for cardio fitness. Cross fingers for another good season.

20. currawong

fingers & toes firmly crossed