Renormed

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ziggy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

The duckbill boots have over 8 years on them and are close to clapped out; need replacing or relining at a minimum.
    I recall in the discussion on NTN that @TeleGirl said that the binding change was a thing to consider in this situation. It was an option I had ruled out as reliable release is a priority but it turns out this is available. So I made the change, have been renormed and am retele'ing ;)
    First day out today on them. I leave the carpark with the boots on (TX Pro) and the walk across the bitumen doesn't jar my knees. Climb up to the run and the motion feels natural and easy. Step in - takes a few goes to twig to it and then it clicks (cough). That's it: click in and good to go.
    And away we went. The knee bends and smoothly drives the cuff and cracks the bellows. Stand tall or drop right down. The Scarpas have a soft flex and that suits my knees down to the ground (cough again). It's possible to get some weight properly onto the rear ski in the dance and there's enough control to use it to help turn.
    The vis is crap and I can't see much of the surface and hell it doesn't matter. I go under the ropes for a couple of ungroomed lines in flat light and don't need to hold my breath and hope.
    What a difference: the stability, the feel, the responsiveness, the comfort, the light weight. Sensational :D
    And the Outlaws go onto Telebry Safeouts. I ejected twice on a blue run and the release tension needed cranking up a stop over the Axl setting.

Thanks to dossa5 for encouraging me to consider a 4-buckle model and showing how to try on boots;
    Pete Cranage at Snow Trek and Travel for advice on boot choice and painstaking fitting of the TX Pros;
    NE Home Improvements in Tawonga South for crafting custom shims out of merbau LOL
    Brian of Rocky Valley Hire for letting me raid his used fastener box, to find twelve 4 x 10mm metric screws!
    (See, it takes a village to renorm a telemarker :thumbs:).

2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice one Ziggy :)

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Day 2 ...
    The flex allows decent weighting of the uphill ski with the ball of the foot and that ski can be used to help with turning. There's much less, or no?, flapping around with it.
    It's much easier to get the weight forward.
    With the lead ski it's possible to get the heel involved in lateral moves.
    It's easier to get the edges engaged for that sweet railing feeling.
    It's easy to switch to some cruisy alpine turns when the thighs are burning.
    All up it's the difference between driving a tractor and a sports car.
    Helluva confidence boost.

piolet and Untele-whippet like this.
  4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

So, you like it then?

Haha, Ill never go back to 75.

zac150 and dossa5 like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

I hate it when people say 'lovin it' but...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Day 3
    Out for a tour to Mt McKay to see how the rig performs in EYT mode.
    The Outlaw walk mode isn't quite as smooth as the Axl's but there's plenty of ROM.
    The TX Pro's are much the same weight as the T2Xs. With the free pivot and all the buckles loose punting along or up is easily doable.

piolet likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Day 4
    Again today I spent a couple of hours in resort while the BC softened and used my resort tele skis, the smooth-base and well-waxed Liberty Sequence.
    They went like a cut snake on the morning hardback but didn't feel like they were going to be overwhelmed in the way the V6s can.
    After that I did a couple of lines BC, one on South Face just outside the resort and the other off one of what the resort calls the Knolls. The control in the NTN made for confident turns.

Untele-whippet likes this.