1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Rental car from Canberra to the Ski Tube

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by GlenH, Jun 13, 2015.

1. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A friend is flying into Canberra and needs a Rental car to drive from Canberra to Bullocks Flat / Ski Tube.

Usually he gets a medium sized 2WD when he hires.

He tells me the rental companies he has looked at (the big names) these days prohibit their cars going to Jindabyne.

Does anybody know which rental car companies in Canberra do allow you to drive to Jindabyne and the Ski Tube?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

Just looked at Thrifty, to the snow is def ok, and even have optional snow cover you have to take out if going where chains are required

3. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I always thought the limit was the "snowline".

IMHO Bullocks Flat is below. Will be ignoring any "advice" to the contrary when I take a hire car in a few weeks.

4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Have hired at CBR and driven to Jindy and back. Never a mention of no go from the hire mob. I think we have used Thrifty and Hertz.

5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I've seen a car hire company specify anything past Cooma as requiring extra cover.

6. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Thrifty usually, note they have moved to Mort Street from Londsdale street if picking up in the city.
    Usually the companies don't want to permit you into the National Park without extra cover (if that), the tube is outside of the park and should be okay.

7. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

We hired from Thrifty Canberra Airport last winter (early July).
    Conditions of rental was driving only allowed anywhere below the snowline, with no extra charges. Snowline was listed as past the national park entry gates, so Bullocks was not a problem.
    If we wanted or needed to drive above the snowline (past the national park gate) we would have needed to pay $22 extra per day for the duration of the rental. Even if we may have only wanted to drive above the snowline for 1 day of a 7 day rental, they would have changed 7 days @ $22 per day on top. Luckily we where staying with friends in Jindy, so we didn't need to pay the extra and just went up with them and or drove to Bullocks ourselves.
    Make sure your friend takes out insurance to cover excess. Last year we were pole axed in the hire car in Jindy after dinner (raining and other driver drove straight through a giveway sign in town and cleaned us up). Even though I was insured (through another insurer) and the accident was not my fault (other driver was charged by police etc), Thrifty still deducted the full accident excess $3k from my credit card. I won't go into the bullshit that went on after, worst service I've ever experienced. Took more than 2 months to get my money back.

coolkoombaya likes this.
  8. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

faaaaark! :eek:

9. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Unless things have changed in the last year or so Eurocar would let you take their 2wd cars up to the Park Entry Gates and I think Hertz may as well, although we haven't used Hertz in winter for a few years.
    Budget and Avis considered anywhere above Jindy as a no go area during the gazetted ski season unless you had a 4wd/Sno Cover????
    I'm not to sure about Thrifty but Europcar were usually a bit cheaper,but be sure to check the T&C in regards to driving in the snow.
    We also take out additional domestic travel insurance through someone like One Cover which covers car hire excess damage and is a LOT cheaper than the additional insurance through the car hire companies .Sno Cover is a absolute ripoff, but since we only go to bullocks flats it is not needed, annoying when we want to drive up to Thredbo occasionally but you just cant get it for a particular day.

#9 WaitAwhile, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

So what are all those tourists in 15 seater hired mini buses admitting to when they go to the resorts from Sydney? :eek:

11. WaitAwhile

You only find out after you have been involved in a accident and the c/c that was used for the pickup gets a really good workout.

12. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Never trust a c/c to not bounce.
    I make them pay a cold hard cash Bond into my bank account before they walk into my rental accommodation door.
    If they f'up, they never see that cold hard cash ever again.
    Consequently - nobody f'sup at my rental accommodation. Win-Win :D

13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

typically you are not permitted above the snowline in winter. If you have an accident, you are fully liable

However, www.europcar.com.au offer something called snow cover, and this permits you above the snowline, and may also include a set of snowchains in the package.

I just banged in some random details and a camry for 8 days hire was $370 and another $227 for the snow cover

Its shown as an "option cover" on their webpage, once youve selected the vehicle

14. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

What a strange country Australia is. We have a little area that receives a small amount of snow and our rental car companies say "you can't drive there it's too risky" . Imagine if overseas rental companies followed this policy, most of Japan and large chunks of the USA would be off limits in winter. And Canada would be a complete no go zone. <shakes head>

Zimboo, Donza and bengarden like this.
  15. WaitAwhile

Totally agree, we typically go for a month at a time from mid August to mid september and it totally blows out the cost.
    I dont mind paying for it for 5-7 days but the extra cost is a complete rort especially towards the end of the season.
    I'd guess they do it because they can.

16. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yep. I hire Europcar, add 4wd or AWD. add snow cover. Done.

17. bengarden

bengarden One of Us

Yes, there is some kind of paranoia by the companies here about a relatively small amount of winter road conditions. And, if it was because they thought drivers couldn't handle those conditions here, then why if I go to Japan is it not a problem for me to hire a car there even though I'm from Australia and don't drive in those conditions regularly? The most ridiculous part is most of these rental companies are international ( Avis,Hertz,Europcar) and don't have these kinds of restrictions in other snowier countries.

18. gareth_oau

europcar doesnt say you cant go, they just say you have to buy extra snow cover.

further, Canada's cars have M&S tyres on them, so better equipped that typical aussie rentals

19. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Yep, the cc that bounces. In fact I was informed last year (after our accident) on another thread by another poster that they had now specifically set up a separate credit card with a very small limit (just for car rental). They had once had a very bad experience, arriving home from overseas after a great trip with no problems what so ever to find a $5k charge to their cc account for car hire damage that never occurred.

Ozgirl likes this.
  20. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Most SUVs come with M&S tyres even here in Australia. My 2WD dual cab Triton up here in QLD has M&S tyres fitted as standard.
    Yet I see Europcar still charge a snow premium on all their SUV/4WD range.

I think it comes back to what WaitAwhile said

21. WaitAwhile

We have one c/c card with a low limit that we try to use for car hire.
    We try to always take a few pictures of the car just as we return it, with cameras in all phones these days it is a very quick process.

22. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Yep, we always take picks ourselves as well, although we didn't need to take any pics of our hire car last year. It was a write off and towed away to NRMA depot in Jindy (air bags worked a treat) :eek::eek:. I lost a day having to bus it from Jindy to Cooma, then bus from Cooma to Canberra, pick up another car and return.

#22 Zimboo, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  23. gareth_oau

oh they are definitely exploiting a market.

But as an interstate traveller, its only really me they are exploiting

WaitAwhile likes this.