1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Rental cars Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ret-ro, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Hi all, I enjoy and respect your comments in here. They have already assisted in our 6 week trip at the end of the year.

My question is specific to rental car companies, We enter on the 12/12 Vancouver and leave on the 18/1 via Seattle.,
    I can get Ford escapes for the 36 odd days for around 2800 AUD plus the $120 CAN country charge. But its alamo.. National.

We are driving to Sun Peaks, Big White Whistler then Seattle
    We are down to 17 days skiing due to 16 year old's ACL repair! (so touring a bit)
    Any ideas or good suggestions from your vast experience.? Thanks ret

2. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We have rented from Economy car rentals which you could on any given day end up at one of the majors, Alamo was fine. We generally go with Enterprise these days. Generally after you hit the 28 day mark with any company you'll get a good rate.

Ret-ro likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

www.economycarrentals.com is an agency, and there is a good chance you will land a car from Alamo or Enterprise. Had no probelms with both of those through Economy.

Also try www.airportrentals.com

make sure you either book one with CDW insurance included, or buy it extra - your travel insurance will not cover it. Dont pay extra for excess reduction - your travel insurance will cover that.

If you are palanning to get a Ford Escape, ask them to confirm you have booked an AWD and not a FWD - you can get either and it's not obvious on the websites which one you have booked.

Ret-ro and zac150 like this.
  4. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I got stung by Discount Car Rental insisting I pay the extra amount for excess reduction to zero because they don’t allow foreigners to rely on their travel insurance to cover it. I was told that they can’t recover it once we’ve flown home. This was the case even though I had booked and paid online, they still insisted on me paying the extra charge when I went to pick it up.

Ret-ro likes this.
  5. gareth_oau

Well there’s a warning to everyone not to use that crowd.

A con

6. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

Generally found Enterprise to be cheaper and never had any dramas with them.

Biggest tip is to rent off-site from the airport. The airport locations all charge a location service fee of about $26/day if you pick the car up from the airport. 36 x $26 = :eek::eek::eek:. $2800 sounds like a lot for a Ford Escape for 36 days

Grab a cab/Uber a few kms down the road to the nearby locations in Richmond and you will save yourself a lot. All the major rental car companies have locations just outside the airport near all the hotels. Book with them rather than at the on-site airport locations.

Ret-ro likes this.
  7. gareth_oau

Are you sure you have your numbers right there?

We rented an Escape from the airport for 30 days and the whole bill was $2300 including CDW

8. Limobook

Limobook First Runs

Based in Vancouver, Limobook has been serving the transportation needs of Vancouver's most discerning executives and travellers for many years.The world’s most influential people trust Limobook as their go-to Vancouver limousine service. With us, they know they’ll always get a level of personalized service and care that they won’t get with any other company.

https://www.limobook.ca

9. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This sounds like an Aussie type rort. Nth America business is all about volume. Majority of cars are rented at airports so that's where the volume is. Move away from the mainstream and that's when you'll pay more. I certainly saw that extra fee for airport in force when I was renting in Australia earlier this year though.

10. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

Just had a look for a Ford Escape via Enterprise for a month over Dec/Jan. So they hit you firstly with a higher rate at the airport ($1700/mth V $1359/mth).

On top of that is a $6/day for "Airport facility charge". Then a 15.6% airport "concession fee recovery"

So amount will vary depending on cost of vehicle. For a premium SUV for us it worked out at $26/day. Less for the escape but have a look at the two quotes below.

Airport:

Outside Airport (Literally 3kms down the road):

Nearly $700 more on a ~$1500 rental :mad:

Ret-ro and gareth_oau like this.
  11. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, away from the Airport will save you a bomb. I do not get the Insurance offered by any of the rental car Co.s.
    I buy third party insurance from the likes of Rentalcover.com.

Ret-ro likes this.
  12. gareth_oau

I havent sern that previously but will keep my eyes open to it in the future.

I have also found when renting Enterprise but booked via Economy, the rates are typically lower and all inclusive

13. gareth_oau

Typically look for rentals that include CDW otherwise its an expensive rental. The larger vehicles tend not to include CDW.

We used rental cover once and probably saved about $600 but it was a lit more clunky and there ate no guarantees they will pay out, plus if your car gets written off, the rental compsny hits you with the costs until your seoarate claim steps up

14. Beerman

Surprised you can get into a mid size with all you bags..............................:whistle:............:thumbs:
    With a family of 4, we need the big one, hence separate money saving ploys are required

Ret-ro likes this.
  15. gareth_oau

I play tetris as training LOL

16. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Fwiw we went through rentalcars.com, I picked up the Ford Explorer (two car sizes bigger) than the escape for $1800, including ski racks, that’s 18 days.

In the end the airport was the place we could pick the car up from so had little choice as there was only one place offering the service.

I might try and email the company and ask if I pick it up in town instead do I get a discount

17. Beerman

I would think as rentalcars.com is a middle man, they would scope all the major rental Co.s for pricing. As their volume of cars they rent is quite substantial, the majors would give them discounts/benefits we can't get, one of them would be Airport pick up, so I doubt they would offer discounts for other locations. There may not be enough margin in it to compete with the Major players in this area.

18. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Fwiw??

19. gareth_oau

Fishing weirdly in Wiki

20. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Rentalcars.com are owned by the mob that owns booking.com I believe.
    I like that the CDW is included.

21. gareth_oau

I just plugged in details for a 30 day Ford Escape into rentalcars who quoted the same $2400 for airport or city pick up through Alamo

Ret-ro likes this.
  22. sly_karma

This is not normal practice. Try other vendors. It might be something the resellers do to pad their small margins.

23. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Of interest speaking only with AVis it was the same last w/e in town as at the airport. I totally agree on the concept!!

24. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

The best evidence of this was Hobart Australia, Nissan xtrail 14 days , paid $1007. But at airport 2350..

Thanks all for comments , will try some of the companies direct as they must be cheaper than resellers. Glad to hear alamo not bad. Thanks. Might even try to get an explorer.as we have 5

25. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

That's not thru a reseller - that's direct through Enterprise on their website.

I always check one or two others and have never seen one come close to the off-site Enterprise prices.

Like Gareth said, the same rental thru Alamo at YVR is $2400

And same deal with different terminology - Customer facility charge 5.75/day and Premium location charge @ 17.21%. Interestingly Alamo seem to regard all their Vancouver sites as premium locations though where Enterprise don't.

If you go further out from the airport, Enterprise is even cheaper. You can get the Escape for $1000 for a month out of Richmond a few kms further down the road..

$2400 v $1000!

Ret-ro likes this.
  26. sly_karma

Interesting. Obviously I dont rent in the BC market but I do when I visit other nth American cities, havent seen this scenario.

27. Sbooker

Great info

28. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

All good so far. I have continued along looking at what sort of vehicle will suite our little fam of 5. I thought the Ford Escapee might be a tad shy and think the edge is the way to go.
    You are correct that Alamo are cheaper and do on e way form Vancouver to Seattle which is good. We end up as follows.

Now the downtown locations are the same price. Avis has also done this, they dont seem to have Edges. Not a bad car buy the way, but its a ford.. hey.
    Enterprise site is dicky so far, wont let me do one way rental ?? Will keep playing.. Any ideas. Happy with price provided we get the car, Happy with 6 bags and 1 skis to load up at airport. You can even load your licence and give the ole counter the swerve..Avis offer to take you too your car! STill in quote stage

29. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Enterprise for our time in Canada as follows:

= $1478.37 AUD Pick up a little away from the airport ... Uber time..
    They do not seem to offer one way rentals to Seattle.
    So we have plenty of dollars in the kit for a one way rental down there for say 500 CAD or less.
    Hope our dollars goes north!! soon

You can request winter tires which is nice to see

DW Insurance is between 9 & $49 a day.. Like to know as they do it on site and it could add up. Not required though??
    Would like the excess down to around 5k at least. I can afford that

Up for comments from our expert panel!!

Is anyone interested in my cheap flight efforts!!??

Brad

30. gareth_oau

if they have them, and there are no guarantees, they will charge you an extra mortgage for them.

And you won't need them, the M&S tyes will be sufficient

Ret-ro likes this.
  31. Beerman

Here’s my way of sorting out car rental.
    Check out Enterprise, National, Avis, Hertz etc direct. Then check the agents/middle men like Carrentals.com.
    As we need a large SUV I always get in early as there seem to be limited numbers of these, compared to mid size.
    I always check the city centre and outer suburb locations , never the airport.
    I’ll then look at insurance/CDW options, and generally hire the vehicle without CDW, but with 3rd party vehicle insurance. This approach generally saves me $600 - $1000 depending on length of hire. The downside is I have to pay for any damage first and then claim back through my insurance. One benefit of this Insurance is that underbody and tyres are included, where with CDW it isn’t on these large vehicles. I can understand this method putting off many, but it works for me and the vehicle type we rent. If we stepped down in vehicle size we would possibly go with the ‘all in one price model’ offered by many.

32. Scot_e17

Scot_e17 Hard Yards

Great thread.....got me thinking I should check with my booking for Dec/Jan to confirm that I have reserved an AWD vehicle. I booked via Economycar rentals and specified a Ford Escape SUV. Upon investigating i see the Escape comes in both Front Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive and I asked them to please confirm I have reserved an AWD vehicle....and received this response.....
    thank you for your patience. Our car rental partner cannot guarantee the AWD of the car regrettably. We have received the following answer:
    We cannot guarantee specific features on any vehicle. The location staff will be happy to search current inventory for any AWD vehicle available.

Any suggestions on whether I should amend my booking to 100% guarantee a AWD vehicle by upgrading to a higher class, or in your experience, are the rental Ford Escape vehicles all AWD?

Ret-ro likes this.
  33. Crystal

We do the same thing, as we hire for a month and need the biggest ass SUV we can hire.... $$$$

34. gareth_oau

If you are hiring fir a week it doesnt really matter, but we always book for a minimum of 30 days, and all those little daily add ons really add up.

GPS is a classic rort, we take our own navman, and I suspect it would be cheaper to buy some ski racks than to pay for renting them

35. Beerman

Y
    Yes, if they cannot confirm AWD/4WD at time of booking, they will have a 2WD allocated to you. This sets them up nicely for when you do arrive at the counter, to be told an AWD/4WD is an upgrade, and will cost you a second mortgage. That might hurt.:eek::eek:

36. Beerman

I rented a car from Kamloops airport in April this year, well work did really. I talk to the guy behind the counter and he says you have a silver SR5 reserved for you in the car park. OK, no prob I say. There is a bit of chit chat about what i'm doing, where i'm going, and mention first stop is Sun Peaks for a sneaky ski before the work job(knowing full well that it was thin on the ground at S.P. before I go). He says, you'll need an SUV for that, which is the upsell. I say thanks, but no thanks, without really knowing what an SR5 is.

So out to the car park i go and see an SR5 badged Toyota Hilux. I need an SUV hey...............................
    The clown obviously thought it was my first time to Canada, first time to Kelowna, first time to S.P. and first time renting a car.

As I rent a lot of cars with work I was able to quiz him on a few things when I dropped it off 5 days later, which has saved me around $700.00 for this upcoming trip in Dec. Thanks Champ.

sly_karma likes this.
  37. gareth_oau

I’m obviously doing something horribly wrong. Ive only had one upsell attempt so far :(

38. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Have to admit I always get upsold and they always end up paying for it. If they don't have the said vehicle up we go...
    X trail in Tassie , well they only had top model with 4wd/awd, so away we went..
    @Beerman How does your insurance cover the rental vehicle? Pretty sure Oz polices dont.
    From what I understand a 2wd SUV with winter tires would work ok..

Alamo seem to be the only ones doing 1 way top Seattle??

39. Beerman

I take out 2 Insurance policies if traveling OS for holidays. 1st is general travel insurance for medical, lost bags, delays etc.
    2nd policy is for OS car hire specifically.
    Most/all general travel insurance policies have cover for the excess in a vehicle claim, usually around $4-6K. The specific car insurance covers the rest. I've never had a bingle or had to make a claim, so have not had tot test the system as yet (fingers crossed we never have to).
    If you're interested in the car hire insurance, type in "rental car insurance" to your search engine and you will get some options that will suit your location and purpose. Just be careful if you intend crossing the border from CAN <--> US that some policies will not cover you in the other country. The one i took out last year was an Aus based insurer with Aus phone numbers and web addresses. I rang the numbers before i took out the policy to make sure they worked.They also covered US and CAN with the 1 policy.

Yep winter boots if you can get them are good.

Ret-ro likes this.
  40. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Thanks for that. I choose to wear an excess of $4000-5000 , as I can afford that. I have never damaged one either.
    Its now between Alamo and Avis, Amalmo has upper hand as they transport to seattle for $125 CAD

41. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

We ended up getting a Ford Edge for its size. Asked for Winter tyres. see how we go.

42. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Reconfirmed my booking with Avis as notification doesn’t reference AWD. Booked a Ford Escape or similar from Whistler from 7 Feb to 12 Feb 2020 for trip to Sun Peaks. Called Whistler office directly that confirmed all cars booked from Whistler are guaranteed AWD which is a relief.

#42 Eros C, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  43. gareth_oau

I was just having a play around on a few websites, to inverstigate pricing. I was looking for a large SUV (e.g Suburban) for 30 days, and some of them were showing total cost of $25k+, nearly $800/day :eek::eek:

Are they taking the piss? Why do they bother?

44. Crystal

that's crazy...... must be all the add on's, surely you could do without the minibar . We have a large SUV booked ~2K for 28 days

45. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This what happens when algorithms go rogue

46. Sbooker

Anyone rented out of Seattle to go to Canada? Is it likely M and S tyres would be fitted to a SUV? I’m sure rental out of Vancouver will come with M and S but I’d prefer to fly into Seattle.

47. gareth_oau

We can't go without the hottub dammit!!

Yeah, I'm expecting to pay in the $2-3k window

Crystal likes this.
  48. gareth_oau

good way of scaring off customers too

49. sly_karma

Mostly SUVs built for the nth American market come with M+S from the factory. The mainstream rental companies just send vehicles out with whatever they're built with. They only keep them for a year anyway, they're not gonna mess around with the huge logistic headaches of changing tyres on tens of thousands of vehicles. This is the main reason it's so hard to get an answer when you ask "will my car come with snow tyres?" The actual answer is "they come with whatever tyres the factory put on them," but the poor mutt answering your question has NFI what the standard rubber is.

50. Crystal

+1 told me last week my nana Volvo has M+S tyres on it :rolleyes: lots of use in Aus