1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Rental Skis

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Dodgy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Dodgy

Dodgy Hard Yards

Gday All, Being new to skiing (last season was my 1st season) I was wondering if the quality of rental skis and boots differs from place to place on the mountain. Now I'm only talking about the cheapest range of equipment not performance/executive/demo gear. Last year we hired in house skis/boots and was quite happy with the quality. However this year staying at accomodation with no in house rental so will need to look around. We're staying down near fall express so would be looking around the lower part of the village. Does anyone have any recommendations good/bad for ski hire. I know this could've gone in equipment but I'm specifically after opinions on Falls Creek.

Cheers

2. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This is not resort specific, but I found that resort rental quality is noticeably less than off mountain rental quality. Just my IMO.

For example, in NSW, the rentals at Jindabyne were of a higher quality that that of Thredbo or Perisher resort itself. Service tends to be better and also price tends to be cheaper.

The downside obviously is that if there is a problem and you are stuck up on the mountain, unless you are staying at Jindabyne you will have trouble getting support unless you get back to the place of rental.

Again this is specific to NSW but might be applicable elsewhere.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

We hired the kids gear from the main rental shop near the Falls Express last year. All their gear was brand new. So I would expect that the gear down there may be 2 years old now (compared to some which are much older and do not replace/rotate their stock annually).

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think the opposite to what pigface said is true (on the whole) for FC. Cheaper off-mountain but probably not as good unless you get exec/demo level.

I'd go to Winterhaven. The places owned by the lift co (FC Snowsports at bottom of express and elsewhere) do not provide the same level of service. Winterhaven is on the corner of FC Rd and Slalom St, opposite the Hub, so it's not quite as convenient. I think they will pick up and deliver, but not quite sure.

5. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Viking's also has, in the past, had pretty good skis. Don't know the situation today. I had to use them about 2 or 3 years ago, when a binding on my ski failed (Atomic binding junk!).

6. Dodgy

Dodgy Hard Yards

Yeah Piggy this was one of the downsides of hiring off mountain, although I see the prices are cheaper, I sort of think on mountain might be the go as we have to travel 2 days to get to the snow, so it'd pi$$ me off to have to drive back down the hill to get any repair work done.

Scot,t is this the place in St Falls ? Do you remember the name ? I might see if I can find them online.

currawong, we popped into the Hub convenience store last year so I know where that one is, apart from the better service at Winterhaven how do you think their gear compares to others in Falls?

Ulmerhutte, where abouts is Viking's only been to Falls once so still trying to get to know the place.

Thanks everyone for your replies

#6 Dodgy, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Gabii

Gabii First Runs

I've hired from Winterhaven and the place in the Hub... i can't remember the name of it. Most recently was Winterhaven, they have great service.

I'd definately hire on mountain. Last year i hired off mountain from Ray's Ski Shop, and while my equipment was ok i had a problem with my boots. I was staying at Myrtleford for a few days so had no problem with exchanging the boots, but this could be a huge inconvenience if you're staying on the mountain, and not worth the risk.

In the Falls Creek 2009 im sure they have a few hire outlets and their prices listed, so you could take a look at those too.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I have not personally hired gear for many many years. but when looking at other stuff in Winterhaven I have thought the hire gear looked pretty good. All ski hires will have same some new stuff and older stuff. You can be unlucky and score old stuff anywhere if the good stuff is already out.

Some off the hill places have deals with on mountain places so you can get support if you need it. Rocky Valley gear can be taken to the Snowrider shop at FC Hotel and Kiewa Valley Ski Hire gear can be taken to Winterhaven. Other off-mountain places probably have arrangements, I just don't know the details.

9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I have hired for my children from both Falls Creek Sports (at the bottom of Falls Express and at cummings in the Bowl) and winterhaven. Personally I foun d Falls Creek Sports better and there is the added advantage of being able to sort out any problems with ease. When I did use Winterhaven, one of the clips on my sons boot broke just before his ski lesson. I was not impressed as access to Winterhaven with a broken boot clip from Cloud 9 is not exactly convenient.

10. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

We stayed in the bowl last year and hired from The Village. They were really good at fitting us all and then delivered to our door. Next year we will do it again, but we will walk to the shop and ski down to the base of the Gully Lift and then get the lift back to the Bowl.

Definately hire on the mountian.

11. call_me_joe

call_me_joe First Runs

IMO the service at Falls creek sports at St Falls and in the bowl is second to none on the mountain. It is owned by the lift company, but so is Gebi,s and the Board Lounge. Now they own Viking and Village ski hire too and they all have the same great service. The added bonus is if you do have problems then you can go to the nearest shop and get it seen too, and if its Lift company gear you might even get some sort of help out on the slopes from the staff if you ask nicely