1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Renting Equipment

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by riderjase, Jul 5, 2007.

1. riderjase

riderjase First Runs

So we're heading up to Falls Creek next week..

Had anyone got any suggestions as to where to hire our boots/snowboards/?bindings?

Should we get them in Adelaide? Or just rock up and rent them at Falls Creek?

Thanks

2. Petals

Petals Hard Yards

There are several hire places at Falls, and if you need to change your gear then it is easier if you hired on mountain. Also, less hassle to transport it all.

The lift company have some packages with lessons, rental and tickets on their web sites and there are several independant hire shops.

3. tempest

tempest First Runs

Rent them on Mountain, if you have issues or want to change equipment over it's much easier!

4. K@os

K@os A Local

yep - on mountain is better in regards to ease, however you may find nicer equipment that is tuned a helluva lot better off-mountain.
    I've had boards that barely slid down the mountain from on-snow places. Most places on the bottom of the mountain generally give you magnetic racks to get your gear up there and when you generally stop at the bottom of the mountain anyway for supplies (chains, park passes, etc), why not get your gear at the same time?
    One problem with Falls though is the stupid oversnow - obviously the more gear you have the more expensive this becomes

5. parkdog

parkdog First Runs

whats the oversnow may I ask?

6. Petals

Petals Hard Yards

Transport from the car park to the lodge / hotel / flat you are staying in. You empty your car at the termial, park your car and resort management bring you back to the terminal. You pay and the oversnow takes you to the door of the lodge over the snow covered roads...

... and in reverse for the way home

It is not needed for all accom places on the mountain... some you can walk to and also not needed if you are day tripping.

#6 Petals, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Oversnow allows one set of ski gear boots etc per person so its not an issue taking the ski gear up on it, just make sure everything else fits into two bags per person.

I sometimes head up on it with the family if one is not well or we arrive lazy and we put our back packs into two of those stripped $2 shop bags and pay OS for one person and the other three of us then with no gear buy a taxi ticket for $5.

8. riderjase

riderjase First Runs

this trip is going to be a massive learning experience haha

9. djestar

djestar First Runs

I am going to falls creek for the first time. Normally I go Mt Buller and hire at Mansfield before I go up.
    What is generally cheaper at falls? On or off mountain hire?
    I heard its cheaper to park at the bottom of the mountain somewhere (can someone tell me where?) so that you don't need to hire chains and then catch a bus up the mountain. If we hire off-mountain equipment, can we take this on the coach?

10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

djestar, see my reply to you in the other thread on driving to falls

generally it is cheaper to hire off mountain. If you do, ask them if they have an arrangement with an on-mountain shop if there are any problems with gear.

You will probably find a bigger range of gear on mountain, and some places will let you swap different gear during your stay.

If you are getting the bus, it is easy to park at Pyles (the bus co, for a fee). There are 3 ski shops very close to Pyles where you can hire gear. I know Kiewa Valley Hire has an arrangement with Winterhaven ski hire. I suspect that SkiPlus and Bogong Ski Hire have something similar - but you need to ask.

Hiring on mountain, I like Gebi's, but everyone has their own favourite. Proximity to where you are staying may decide it for you.

11. djestar

djestar First Runs

currawong thanks for the replies just a few more questions if you don't mind

regarding chains for a 04' corolla are they needed no matter what the conditions are? Normally when I go Mt Buller I check with hire stores for the conditions and if chains are needed only then do I hire before travelling up.

Would Pyles be the best place to hire chains and snowboards? I have also read on these message boards about Ray's Ski Shop and Falls Creek Sports. I assume the best place to hire depends on my location. My girlfriend and I are going for a day trip and are travelling from Wangaratta.

Also, we are looking to buy ski goggles at rebel sport for $40 double lens. I assume there is a better range at the top/bottom of the mountain but what price range am I looking at?

12. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Regarding goggles. I don't know what sort of quality you are looking for, but I doubt you will get anything on the mountain for that price. Fall Creek Sports have them starting at about $90 going sky high, all good brands. I think Gebi's has a couple of brands slightly cheaper. You tend to get what you pay for though.

13. K@os

K@os A Local

Try Ebay - I got a great set of Spy Goggles last year for $60 with 2 sets of lenses, brand new with tags.
    Not to mention pretty much my entire ski outfit [​IMG]

#13 K@os, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  14. spargo

spargo First Runs

Does anyone have any recent experience hiring at the hire place beneath the Falls Creek Hotel? Called Snow Rider Rental..

I hired from there a few years back and all went well, but I just wanted to hear if anyone has any personal experience with them. They seem competitive with Falls Creek Sports across the Bowl. I'm staying at SnowSki so either is good, but I just want to book ahead to be sure I get the good stuff! [​IMG]

#14 spargo, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

it is illegal to drive to FC without chains in the car. Most days you don't need to put them on. The boys in blue sometimes do spot checks, even on sunny days when there is no snow on the road. Don't risk it.

Pyles hire chains but not snowboards. Probably best to try skiplus, a few doors down from pyles. They probably understand boards better than the other off-mountain hire places, and they do chains. I don't know much about boards, but I think the other ski hires in town (kiewa Valley, Bogong, Rocky Valley and A-Team in Tawonga) probably hire them. Rays is good if Myrtleford suits you. I would avoid FC Sports for a day trip - I think you will lose too much time.

Goggles - well I wouldn't waste money on cheapies. If you get hot and steamed up easily, cheap goggles are useless as tits on a bull. If the weather is sunny wear sunnies. If the weather is cr@p, then buy good anti-fog double-lense goggles with good ventilation. My current goggles probably cost about $150 from Gebi's about 4 years ago, and they are worth every cent