1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Repairs and adjustments to Hire skis.

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Tarynbear, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hi There, I am planning to hire skis for the whole family from Adaminaby as the price seems a bit cheaper than on snow at Selwyn. If they need repairs or adjusting will the Selwyn ski hire place do this and would there be a cost?

2. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

If you hire from a place in Adaminaby they will do adjustments etc before you leave the shop.
    Most places dont like to adjust or touch another places hire skis ( ..insurance etc if something goes wrong!)
    If Selwyn Ski Hire did anything to them... which I doubt.. I think there would be a cost because they are a business not a charity.
    Are you staying at Adaminaby? You could drop them off to the hire place after skiingt and get them sorted.
    There is a bloke who visits this site regulary who works in the Selwyn Ski Hire shop he will be able to give you a definite yes or no.

3. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Hi silverwitch,

Thanks for the reply, and yes we will be staying in Adaminaby. Just want to be prepared as my six year old daughter is skiing for the first time.

4. Bushy69

Bushy69 Hard Yards

Hi Tarynbear,

Last year I hired our skis in Cooma, and first day at Selwyn with the kids, had one of my skis constantly pop off (resulting in a bloody sore shoulder when I hit the snow). I limped back to the ski hire shop, and one of the guys tested it, noted the shyte settings, re-adjusted.... and all good for the rest of my time at Selwyn.

No charge. This pretty much sums up Selwyn IMO... very customer service orientated (and I would assume most, if not all resorts in Oz would do the same).

Repairs... I would never expect any ski hire place to repair another hire places skis. Minor adjustments, I don't see any issues at all.

5. Kiz07

Kiz07 First Runs

My partner and I went up last weekend and he hired a board and boots from there. His boots were really uncomfortable, so he went back in and they happily swapped them over for him. Couldn't be helpful enough!

6. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Hey, I work the Selwyn ski hire, if its something like a forward pressure or DIN number adjustment it takes 2 seconds and we are more than happy to do it for you regardless of where you rented, we're nice like that [​IMG]

#6 SelwynSnowfields, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Nice to have good friendly and accomodating ski shop people on this site.
    Makes a nice change from some others we've had previously.

8. Brumby

Brumby First Runs

I have always found the staff at the Ampol in Adaminaby are really good at making sure that my gear is correctly adjusted before I hit the slopes. It is mostly brand new gear, and have never had any problems. I think they just take time to make sure all is OK in the first place.

9. Kiz07

Kiz07 First Runs

It makes so much more of a difference when people are happy and willing to help. Even when the line up is out the door and the crew there are flat stick they always seem to be happy and lapping up the business. I hate it when you go places and they look down thier nose at you, as if you're butting into thier hot chocolate and New Idea time.

10. Tomess

Tomess First Runs

I was planning on picking up hire gear in coom, but based on these comments I might go to Ampol. How would people say the gear compared to cooma hire places? I would probably go for their performance stuff. Cheers.

11. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

The guys @ the selwy. Rentals counter are great... Always very helpful... And while I know it's a bit gross... I still can't understand why you guys won't sell me a pair of rear entry hire boots!! They are the only ones that don't slaughter my feet!! Is there acsecret password or something... or do I need to promise that I won't hold you all responsible if I stack it and hurt myself??? :o)

12. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Megs you really need to find a good boot fitter!

13. Brumby

Brumby First Runs

The Ampol have the option of really good quality performance ski's, better than your average hire. They have lots of new ones on the racks this year, and I have always found they maintain them well. I used brand new boots and skis last weekend- were awsome. One other hire place in Ada dosn't even wax their ski's! ( one near the fish)
    I also enjoy supporting a local family business rather than a big hire company in Cooma.

14. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

I know silver!!!! I know!!!! I think that what I REALLY need to do is get my butt into better shape... but even when I was in ski boots and skiing every day over the 5 months I spent OS my feet just pained!! Does anyone know anyone who charges a reasonable price and is a great fitter??

15. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

I was going to ask where you live then I checked your profile and it said windsor. I dont know anyone in Sydney as I live in Canberra. But I have read in this forum there are some good bootfitters in Jindy...maybe someone else might know or do a search in the forums for bootfitters recommended in Jindy or closer to you in Sydney. Good luck with it...but I do know that finding the right boot makes a huge difference comfort and skiing wise!

16. Kiz07

Kiz07 First Runs

Selwyn topped themselves once more.

Again, my partner had his bindings set up in a store only to find his feet were giving him curry all day. After chatting to a Selwyn employee at lunch they thought they might have been set up all wrong. Went up the hire shed and they fixed them for him. No charge. He even tried to give them money, but they wouldn't accept it. Awesome [​IMG]

And I started my snowboard career yesterday (from skiing). Ben the instructor was wicked cool and did well.

Very impressed =)

#16 Kiz07, Jul 19, 2010
  17. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Really nice to hear that Kiz. We're more than happy to help [​IMG]

Ben is on these forums under the handle 'RAYNER'

He dosen't have internet atm so he dosen't check too often but I'll tell him.

#17 SelwynSnowfields, Jul 19, 2010
  18. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

John or Darryn Morgan at STM Bondi. Worth the drive.

#18 SnowTragic, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013