1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Report with Pics 18th-21st

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by K@os, Aug 22, 2007.

1. K@os

K@os A Local

Well four days was never going to be enough, but I gotta say I wasn't dissapointed with the conditions we received, especially after last year.
    The first 3 days gave us blue skies and no wind, along with a light dusting on the first night, which started whilst the Big Air comp was on, setting the mood for the weekend perfectly. On the 4th day the wind picked up a bit and some clouds rolled in, but it was still very comfortable skiing.
    Conditions on the slopes were awesome in most areas considering the amount of time it has been since some serious fresh stuff. Most of the runs were quite firm in the morning with a few inches of dry snow on top and then became quite soft in the arvo.
    The groomed runs offered some good cordurouy early on too, but you had to hit it pretty early.
    We generally stuck around Towers and Scotts in the Morning and then headed over to Ruin around lunch, however this was mostly due to sticking with my mates rather than going where I thought conditions were best. Ruin seemed to be quite chopped up bythe time we got there, although sth face and big dipper were a lot of fun regardless.

Main Street in the morning

[​IMG]

Rapunzles
    [​IMG]

Bottom of Towers
    [​IMG]

Ruin Castle
    [​IMG]

The first couple of days we could ski part of the way down slalom street, although only just.
    [​IMG]

After the 20th we began to think of new ways to get back home.
    [​IMG]

Coming down South Face was a lot of fun on the 20th and 21st, with some fresh tracks still to be made over the other side of the mountain. Even if the snow was a bit wet and slow it was still good to get away from the crowds and carve out some lines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other places provided fresh tracks too, even on the 22nd, as long as you were prepared to work for them...our camera man wasn't and unfortunately the batteries on the camera went flat on our way down this one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all one of the best weekends of any kind I've had this year. The skiing was awesome, all of the lifties were friendly and on-the-ball, the night life and service at all the places we went to was fairly good (with the exception of a couple sour-faced bar staff who should learn to smile a bit), people we met each night who played pool and drank jager with us were great and my mate even managed a romantic evening with a lovely girl we met the night prior (go Dave!)

Thank you FC [​IMG]

#1 K@os, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. kasto

kasto First Runs

Nice report [​IMG] Slalom st looks crap compared to when were there on the 3rd-6th [​IMG]

#2 kasto, Aug 22, 2007
  3. K@os

K@os A Local

Thanks, I've read lots of reports from other people over the years and it always got me amped to get out there, hearing about the fun others were having...thought it was my time to contribute [​IMG]
    Yep, ski-in ski-out is all but non-existent now unless you're staying in the bowl or close to it.
    Here's a shot looking up Slalom on the 18th...the roads turned to rivers in the arvo of the 18th and 19th. Very sad [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottom of wombats is getting patchy too although they dumped a heck of a lot of snow on the 21st at the bottom, presumably to fix it up a bit.

#3 K@os, Aug 22, 2007
  4. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

Good to see ski-in ski-out dropped from Falls reports then.

Conditions have held up very well, I think. Cover looks great at the back. Will be up there on Saturday.

Thanks for the report.

#4 DeesOnSkis, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

nice report. its rapunzels btw. lol. that lovely girl didnt happen to be called emma did she?

6. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Wow the snow cover on the south side looks much better then i thought it would have been! Nice pics :D.

(shame about the ski-in / ski-out though)

7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Great report. The conditions looked pretty good in Sun Valley. When the skies are blue you can forgive an awful lot. The Bowl is obviously the place to stay at this stage of the season. How was the bottom of Wombats Ramble? That side of the village is good to stay if the the snow is ok down the bottom.

8. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

How is the summit holding up for skiing?

I am guessing the maze is all but finished?

9. spargo

spargo First Runs

the Maze was all but finished during our week of 12-18th

10. K@os

K@os A Local

I couldn't say mate and probably shouldnt even if I could [​IMG] Nice bunch of girls though and they all worked for the resort.
    Wombats is getting thin at the bottom, I only did one run down it and it was good all the way down at the start of the week. They dumped a lot of snow down the bottom on the 21st so I'm assuming they've fixed the patches that were forming. Milky Way is getting very patchy, however Last Hoot is still good to go by the looks.
    Yep, the maze was very marginal from reports so I didnt bother with it. Summit is still holding up well, but the left side looking up (The Knolls?) is getting very thin in several places. Skyline wasn't too bad as far as depth goes, few patches here and there and it was quite nice at the top...bit icy the 2nd half under the trees in the moning though

One thing I forgot to mention is how kool it is to have a mini-terrain park to make fools of yourself in! I really enjoyed hitting the rails and jumps and probably never would have given it a go if it was under ruin castle. It's kinda out of the way and not many people watching, which suited me. It's all very tame too so you can get a feel for what you're supposed to be doing without breaking you're neck!

Now the wait is on for Canada in March. This week at work has been the hardest week of my life [​IMG]

#10 K@os, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013