Admin Notice Reports coming in of scammy pop-overs whilst on forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I've had two reports in 12 hours of members experiencing scammy popovers whilst on mobile phones reading the forums.

In both cases these were regular members who get served ads and neither use ad/content blockers (afaik).

I suspect the popovers are being injected by the ad network - as I have recently changed ad network provider after a decade with Google.

However, anyone else experiencing this please advise, I'm especially interested if you have seen one of the popovers and are a Gold or Silver subscriber.

Thanks

looks like this..

scammy-popover.png

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
I've had two reports in 12 hours of members experiencing scammy popovers whilst on mobile phones reading the forums.

In both cases these were regular members who see ads and neither used ad/content blockers (afaik).

I suspect the popovers are being injected by the ad network - as I have recently changed ad network provider after a decade with Google.

However, anyone else experiencing this please advise, I'm especially interested if you have seen one of the popovers and are a Gold or Silver subscriber.

Thanks

looks like this..

scammy-popover.png
This is a fraud.
@Richard is just trying to keep the Samsung S9 or iPhone XS for himself.

Be warned that if you get this pop up make sure you follow all the links and provide all your details to ensure ski.com.au admins (and mods) dont steal your chance to win one of these fabulous prizes.

:D :D

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Nope.
All clear for this paid up member

Reactions: Ozgirl

Balsta

One of Us
Sep 11, 2012
Yep, have had the same iiNet one on my phone three times in the last couple of days. Annoying, but I just click in the address bar and re-load the page.

Backpack2

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Feb 18, 2014

In both cases these were regular members who see ads and neither used ad/content blockers (afaik).

Thanks

looks like this..

scammy-popover.png
Hey Richard, it happened to me twice.

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Hi Richard,

Has happened to me several times now (twice while trying to log in and write this post):

E68B5DAB-B66D-42CD-84C4-520A9E4DC7BE.png

Cheers.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Whilst its not a pop-over ad per se, I've had those ads that expand from nothing to the full size of your browser window as you scroll down (on mobile, 4G.)

Monsta

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2017
+2 here.

I've had both pop up on my phone. Got the Vodafone one while out on 4G and the Telstra one at home on the WiFi

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
+2 here.

I've had both pop up on my phone. Got the Vodafone one while out on 4G and the Telstra one at home on the WiFi

ta,

Zoning in that it is highly likely the ad-network as it's not just this site and it's also seen on telecoms data and it's only happening to members that get served ads - none of the gold or silver subscribers are reporting it.

Thanks

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Whilst its not a pop-over ad per se, I've had those ads that expand from nothing to the full size of your browser window as you scroll down (on mobile, 4G.)

Yep, that’s becoming a pretty standard ad format for mobile. They earn more, which is still 1/4 what it was ten years ago. But I digress...

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
@JuLe @Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 @Backpack2 @Sbooker @Balsta

Is it only whilst on wifi or has it been whilst on 3G/4G data as well?

(if all of you are only on wifi - it could be a compromised wifi router - but I still suspect it's the ad network)
No mine was on 4g as well but haven’t had the scammy pop ups since I got the temporary upgrade (although I miss the regular ads offering me well priced and exciting ski holidays)

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
No mine was on 4g as well but haven’t had the scammy pop ups since I got the temporary upgrade (although I miss the regular ads offering me well priced and exciting ski holidays)

Thanks. That pretty much confirms the injection vector was the ad tech.

I alerted the network today and shared this thread and to their credit they have taken it seriously and investigated and shut out one of the DSP’s bidding for ad slots.

Normal service will resume ASAP.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I just got this one, on iPhone over WiFi (and iinet is my ISP)
DFAF4CAC-EB27-4760-AB44-59DB229E5443.png

Yep, about time to put my phone on charge, I know!

Yep. Smart malware-ads.

It’s easy enough in theory to work out what ISP you are on and tailor the ad accordingly, but there is always devil in the detail of implementation and detail takes time and time is money.

What I find amusing is that a legitimate campaign built by media agencies with that kind of smarts would cost you $50k~$80k in implementation excluding actual media buying spend.

The Eastern Block ratbags do it in their sleep for a handful of rubles.

Reactions: Bogong and Chaeron

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Yep. Smart malware-ads...

...The Eastern Block ratbags do it in their sleep for a handful of rubles.
Eastern Bloc and Rubles?
Gosh, for years I've assumed it was Sub-Continentals doing it for Rupees.

Oh dear. I have been having dark thoughts about entirely the wrong race. :goose:
I will now transfer my internal (and never voiced) animosity to the correct ethnic group. :blb:

TC

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 7, 1999
Gulmarg Resort Kashmir Sydney
This is a fraud.
@Richard is just trying to keep the Samsung S9 or iPhone XS for himself.

Be warned that if you get this pop up make sure you follow all the links and provide all your details to ensure ski.com.au admins (and mods) dont steal your chance to win one of these fabulous prizes.

:D :D
TOFF is a tech expert so believe him

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I noticed all the screenshots provided were taken on i thingies. No such issues with my crappy pre paid Telstra android. Must be an Apple problem.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Actually Malwarebytes doesn’t seem available in Australia? The App Store says not available in you country or region. Is there a way around this?

I'm not sure, you might have to contact them to ask. I've got it installed on an android, though the main place I use it is my desktop and laptop.

edit: I actually find malwarebytes a little annoying on the phone, and it is probably overkill in all the features the app has. On the computers though I find it very useful.
ublock is the important one for ads on both mobile devices and computers.

Last edited:
Reactions: southpaw
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass