News Research Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
Hi
I am undertaking a research study investigating visitors use of the backcountry and wilderness areas of Kosciuszko National Park during the snow season. This includes those who are skiing or riding outside of the resort boundaries.
If you have been on a backcountry trip this snow season in KNP I would appreciate if you can please complete this survey.
Completion of the survey gives you the chance to go in the draw to win the following prizes:
  • 1 x NSW All Parks Pass
  • 3 x Hire Vouchers from Rhythm Snowsports
  • 1 x day pack from Mont Adventure Equipment
I also need your help to spread the word…
Please tell your friends and colleagues who have or are going backcountry this snow season to please complete the survey. They can do it on computers, tablets and phones. If using a iPhone or iPad make sure you have the latest iOS 9.3.4. Your survey response is anonymous and the data de-identified.
This research project is being undertaken towards a honours program with the School of Business and Tourism at Southern Cross University. The SCU Ethics Approval number is ECN-16-202. The research project is under the supervision of Dr Pascal Scherrer and Dr Mieke Witsel at Southern Cross University and Dr Isabelle Wolf from National Parks and Wildlife Service (Research and Analysis Officer, Hurstville).

Thank you, I appreciate your time.
Regards
Jennifer Smart
Honours Program
School of Business and Tourism
Southern Cross University
j.smart.11@student.scu.edu.au

Reactions: Vanders

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
Done,
A little feedback
I had a problem with this question.
"Did any of these factors increase the level of risk you were exposed to whilst on your most recent snow-based backcountry trip? 1 = no negative effect and 5 = extreme negative effect."
(followed by a list of factors)

i think my issue was the baseline for the risk to increase from is not set. Compared to sitting at home yes they all probably increase. Or were you looking for elevated risk compared to what i may have assessed to risk at the start of the trip?

Hypothetically pre trip a chance of broken gear during the trip exists. There is a possibility that broken gear results in a risk to your life. Now if that gear does break during the trip is that an increase in the risk exposure or just a realisation of the risk.

I couldnt quite work out what you were asking so didnt know how to respond.

Bloke

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2011
Sydney
Done. Good luck with it, a really good survey I thought. Couple of tiny points/suggestions

On the 'where accessed from' question, because your methodology is to report your latest trip, if your survey period is nowish, you will miss all the trips that start from Charlotte after the road is cleared.

The question on how adequate facilities are (dunnies, huts etc) has a typo, the category for 'somewhat inadequate' actually reads 'somewhat adequate'

You should clarify whether amount spent on backcountry activities includes equipment or not (I was quite unsure how to assess this question)

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
Thanks all for your feedback. No matter how many eyes go over it there always seems to be something that gets missed, I will fix typos.
I will definitely let you know the results of the survey and I will take on board your comments and use them when I write up the results. They are great points!

Reactions: Bloke

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears would enter if door prizes were better:say years supply of 2stroke/and free chain grinding
:thumbs:

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
How long is the survey open for? Considering peak BC season is about to start I figure you will potentially get a stack of respondents over the next 8 weeks
The thread has been made "sticky "too, so it is readily found. Regular contribution and discussion in here will also help exposure.

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
How long is the survey open for? Considering peak BC season is about to start I figure you will potentially get a stack of respondents over the next 8 weeks
The thread has been made "sticky "too, so it is readily found. Regular contribution and discussion in here will also help exposure.

At the moment, its open till the end of the November. Hoping cover remains till then and there isn't some big rain event that brings spring to the main range.

Reactions: Majikthise

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Hi Jen, posting a note in the FB pages 'gear freak', 'Australian Backcountry', 'Alpine Touring Australia' and 'Kosi Kiters' might help also. Good luck with it. A mate did something similar on Morton NP, back in the dark ages (mid-90's).
Good idea. Jindabyne Noticeboard and Telemarks Australia would also be good groups to post to.

Reactions: Jen Smart

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
Hi Jen, posting a note in the FB pages 'gear freak', 'Australian Backcountry', 'Alpine Touring Australia' and 'Kosi Kiters' might help also. Good luck with it. A mate did something similar on Morton NP, back in the dark ages (mid-90's).

Thanks Climberman for these FB page ideas

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
Thanks to all who have completed the backcountry survey. Great response so far! If you haven't already completed the survey, please do. The survey will be open until the end of November 2016; so if you are heading out once the road opens to Charlotte Pass you will be able to record your trip/experience. The prize draw will be on the 6 December 2016.

Jen Smart

First Runs
Aug 28, 2016
A big thank you to all those who participated in the 2016 Snow-based Backcountry Visitor Survey. We have had a fabulous response and we are pleased to announce the five winners of the participant prizes which were drawn at 2.30pm on 02 December at Southern Cross University:

T. Richardson: Winner of 1st Prize – All Parks Pass

T. Brown: Winner of 2nd Prize – Rhythm Snowsports Backcountry Hire Voucher 1

C.Berwick: Winner of 3rd Prize – Rhythm Snowsports Backcountry Hire Voucher 2

J. Sims: Winner of 4th Prize – Rhythm Snowsports Backcountry Hire Voucher 3

B. McNiel: Winner of 5th Prize – Mont Adventure Equipment Day Pack

A big thank you also to our sponsors NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, Rhythm Snowsports and Mont Adventure Equipment for their generous support of this study.

A summary of the study results will become available later in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass