Resort Congestion discussion

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
This is not meant to have ago at any resort.

But a discussion need to be had.

thredbo tried to supposedly reduce numbers but sounds like they had issues today as well.

I def feel that every needs access. So dont agree with stopping any certain types of people.

I do think we need to start taking the north american model. Lets start rewarding those for car pooling.

We got attitude from two different parking attendants. And you think the resort would encourage what we did today. Ie someone fdoing a drop and run.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Thredbo tried to increase revenue using a price signal. Doesn’t stop people in white mini vans with every seat full parking and looking at snow.
Think it’s going to get any better ?
Unlikely to be repeated next weekend to the same extent I guess (hope).

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'll offer this point.
The beaches in Wollongong this year....summer.
Insane.
Make perisher and Thredbo look like a millpond.

This is a extension of this.

People leaving their homes....and the city.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I'll offer this point.
The beaches in Wollongong this year....summer.
Insane.
Make perisher and Thredbo look like a millpond.

This is a extension of this.

People leaving their homes....and the city.
Every weekend anywhere in Sydney...Wisemans Ferry, West Head, North Head, Dobroyd Point, Tunks Park, Middle Cove/Castlecrag/Northbridge bush walks...all of them overcrowded. Hunters Hill/The Spit and Clontarf relieved the pressure with parking fees.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
How much of the road traffic is sightseers / snowplayers and how much is ticket-buying resort customers?

It's a public national park and public roads on a public holiday LWE with widely publicised snow.
I dont think it matters 'who' it is.

Public buses etc, only way to relieve pressure. car pooling incentives. (Primo parking like in the Nth hemi)

Reactions: LMB

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I dont think it matters 'who' it is.

Public buses etc, only way to relieve pressure. car pooling incentives. (Primo parking like in the Nth hemi)
There are a number of distinct different market segments - how are you going to appeal to them? What incentives them out of a car or their own minibus?

Say you are me - what will incentive me to get out of my car in Jindabyne, wait for a bus, get on a bus, ski, and then get back on a bus, then get back to my car, then get back to my accom, while corralling a family?

I'm not saying it's not a great idea, but how would it be done and how do we incentivise enough people to use it that it makes a material difference to traffic?

We have a situation where currently, people (appear to be) accepting that the current level of traffic is ok for a weekend of recreation. We know they are accepting of it, because they are doing it. If we open up the road efficiency, will we simply make it atttractive to the same number of vehicles again, or have we hit peak demand for snow areas? How do we know either way?

As Scottski noted, Thredbo have offered a strong price signal this season - this seems to have done..... what for road traffic (an actual question, I'm not there this weekend)?

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
Run busses out of Jindy. It's the only way.
We initially got into skiing as a family when we went to NZ. The cost of buses to get up to the mountain was quite reasonable - the only reason we hired a car the last time we went over was because Mstr 10’s morning meltdowns resulted in us missing our pre-booked bus more often than we actually made it the year before.

The first time I looked into booking accommodation and skiing in Australia, I was really surprised that there was either no one running a bus service to the snow fields, or it was prohibitively expensive. TBH, if I’m staying at Jindy and have to drive to Bullocks Flat to catch the SkiTube up to Perisher, I might as well pay the NP fee and drive all the way up - it works out cheaper when you have a family of 4.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
TBH, if I’m staying at Jindy and have to drive to Bullocks Flat to catch the SkiTube up to Perisher, I might as well pay the NP fee and drive all the way up - it works out cheaper when you have a family of 4.
This is the reality any bus service needs to be able to overcome.
For about 5,000 people a day*

*random guesstimate, could easily be double this probably. Or half.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
There are a number of distinct different market segments - how are you going to appeal to them? What incentives them out of a car or their own minibus?

Say you are me - what will incentive me to get out of my car in Jindabyne, wait for a bus, get on a bus, ski, and then get back on a bus, then get back to my car, then get back to my accom, while corralling a family?

I'm not saying it's not a great idea, but how would it be done and how do we incentivise enough people to use it that it makes a material difference to traffic?

We have a situation where currently, people (appear to be) accepting that the current level of traffic is ok for a weekend of recreation. We know they are accepting of it, because they are doing it. If we open up the road efficiency, will we simply make it atttractive to the same number of vehicles again, or have we hit peak demand for snow areas? How do we know either way?

As Scottski noted, Thredbo have offered a strong price signal this season - this seems to have done..... what for road traffic (an actual question, I'm not there this weekend)?
Need bus only lanes where possible. If busses get stuck in the congestion then their effectiveness and attractiveness is diminished.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Nothing apparently. thredbo filled up as well.

As to your other comments. For the none punters it wont changhe much.

But so many people post on facebook being nervous about driving etc. They will catch it.

I also said that car pooling should be encouraged.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
So access to the park at $30/day and pay to park?
Sounds equitable.
What if there is a competitive bus service? Something has to be done to make the movement of people more efficient. Cars are the most convenient but least efficient. What other options do you see for solving the problem?

Reactions: LMB and Podlet

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
What if there is a competitive bus service? Something has to be done to make the movement of people more efficient. Cars are the most convenient but least efficient. What other options do you see for solving the problem?
I think buses are a great idea.

How do we make them work so they go beyond a trial stage?

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
How much of the road traffic is sightseers / snowplayers and how much is ticket-buying resort customers?

It's a public national park and public roads on a public holiday LWE with widely publicised snow.
At a rough guess from right in the centre there is a very big increase in "Snow experience" day trippers, PB and NPWS totally oversells its ability to park the cars they have sold a parking spot too, the turned around overflow heads to Thredbo where FF is easy access and as long as a toboggan is not involved people can wander freely.

PB pass skiers know to "get in early", Thredbo is a little less skier parking oriented due to skiers largely staying on mountain and day trippers have no idea that parking is limited at either resort.

Both resort roads are overwhelmed with nil capacity to road block and turn around in an efficient manner.

The disconnect between parks, resorts, RMS and police is glaringly obvious with each responsible for only their responsibilities.

A new demographic is young friends doing a one off lesson and ski day + snow experience day weekends. They are largely one time visitors from our multi cultural community. Another new demographic is families of the "tradie" demographic simply wanting to play in the snow and "self slide". Also a big big increase in camping and van weekenders who spend a whole day on resort due to not having a cosy rental to go back too.

Both roads lead to ski resorts so every single car ends up at a ski resort. Jindabyne can cope, resorts simply not enough car spaces for the number of ski tickets sold + the number of park entry tickets sold.

Without an alternative inexpensive "Snow experience" area that does not require use of PB or Thredbo resort parking things will not change.

Without affordable camp style accommodation things won't change.

Things won't change .....

Thredbo is doing a good job of accommodating the snow experience demographic with snow tour, chair ride, gondola ride, back country, FF snow play etc but the trade off is .... more and more cars.

Cars where a problem in the 80s .... that's why they built the skitube.
Thredbo tried to increase revenue using a price signal. Doesn’t stop people in white mini vans with every seat full parking and looking at snow.
Think it’s going to get any better ?

The minivans stop down the road, snow play is utes, euro and suv.

Look at beginner lesson make up for the new skier demographic.

Living the "new normal".

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass