Resort Congestion discussion

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Who clears it?
Who fills in the pot holes, they missed a few over summer :)
5ADDAA1B-432E-4A4B-B571-E210E3E3004A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Ozgirl

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
The resort car parks, and they don't pay contractors to clear it, they use their own staff who may be on individual cotracts but are effectively staff.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
The resort car parks.
Either way my point still stands. Leaseholder pays the contractor. You didn’t ask who paid for it. You asked who clears it and I have never known a Perisher employee to operator a snow clearer.

and I was corrected earlier that apparently the lease is under Perisher now.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Either way my point still stands. Leaseholder pays the contractor. You didn’t ask who paid for it. You asked who clears it and I have never known a Perisher employee to operator a snow clearer.

and I was corrected earlier that apparently the lease is under Perisher now.
I know a few, but they have had enough of working for Perisher and now work for Stadelman or have moved on.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Car pooling (ie 3 or more people in car) got better parks. Remember when we did our Mountain Collective road tripp we were stoked to find we got premium car parking cause we had 3 people.
Ah, that makes sense. The number of people you need for premium car pool parking spot seems to have gone up to 4 at the destination resorts that I pay attention to: Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Aspen, Jackson Hole. At Solitude (now owned by Alterra) there is no free parking at all. The only free alternative is taking the UTA Ski Bus up the canyon from SLC.

I have seen a few American ski resorts have a season parking pass, mostly at an extra cost but sometimes bundled with the premium lift pass. Usually a very limited number compared to the available free parking.

Alta made news in the spring when they announced that parking reservations will be required on weekends and holidays. For the pandemic season, Alta and Snowbird tried different tactics. Alta used Twitter and their website to try to notify people when to expect full parking on busy days so people wouldn't make the drive up the canyon only to have to drive home disappointed. Often full by 9:30am on weekends or powder days. Snowbird required free parking reservations all season. Only "sold out" in advance on weekends from early Jan to mid-March. The "week of" concept to release available slots was used during the pandemic for both parking reservations (Powdr) and lift access reservations (Vail Resorts).

In March 2021, my friends and I used the parking reservation system that Powdr resorts used at Copper. Could reserve a spot at either a paid lot or a free lot. Worked reasonably well since we tend to plan our ski days well ahead. The day that I didn't get to the lot until 1:00 because my ski buddy flew into Denver that morning, there was no one checking for reservations at the free lot any more. Basically there was no parking attendants any more since the lot was half empty. Copper has very good big shuttle buses running very frequently. They were at 50% capacity and mask usage was mandatory everywhere at the bases or near/on the lifts.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.50.35 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.50.50 AM.jpg

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
If every car that accesses day parking in the KNP contained people that also accessed the lift systems then the lift systems of both PB and Thredbo would be overwhelmed.

A dedicated off resort snow play area is required, LWE until end of August.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
If every car that accesses day parking in the KNP contained people that also accessed the lift systems then the lift systems of both PB and Thredbo would be overwhelmed.

A dedicated off resort snow play area is required, LWE until end of August.
I was stunned at how many people were walking in the Basin alone this weekend. Merritts and FF was doing it's fair share of foot traffic as well. KT will be happy drunk tonight.

Reactions: crackson

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Traffic congestion for a handful of days over the ski season, so change the mindset of those extra visitors for those peak days - make post ski season spring the new snow play 'time' for snowplay tourists by making it cheaper all round- accom, entry etc. Days are warmer and longer after the Oct closing but most peeps think the snow just disappears. It's been traditional that when the footy finals happen Australians start thinking beach not snow, encourage 'new' citizens (those not traditional footy fans) to take advantage of this gap in snow usage/market.

Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
I believe the seat in question at state level is Monaro, and was held by Steve Whan (ALP) if not prior to the last election, then the one before that. I played water polo at uni with one of his kids, and he was voted out towards the end of my time at uni (around 2016). The LNP were still in government at the time though.
Steve Whan was the local state MP 2003-2011, lost the seat and moved to the upper house for one term.
It’s a marginal seat, and swings are probably unrelated to government decisions involving the skiing industry.
People using the resorts, including most employees, are generally not Monaro voters.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Elon's Boring Company might give it a go.Didn't the Skitube get built at a discount because the contractors were using it as a proof of competency for the Sydney Harbor Tunnel or some other big project ?Or is that furphy?
Bottom line is that any improvement in access has to be cheap.No-one's sticking their hands in their pockets
The Skitube/Sydney Harbour Tunnel connection is a furphy Different companies for each of them. Skitube was Kumagi Gumi and Transfield while SHT was Thiess.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
The Skitube/Sydney Harbour Tunnel connection is a furphy Different companies for each of them. Skitube was Kumagi Gumi and Transfield while SHT was Thiess.
I don't think that's right.My brother ran Tenix for a while and told me some back stories on Transfield Kumagi , the skitube and the SHT
(and the controlling family interests)

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
Steve Whan was the local state MP 2003-2011, lost the seat and moved to the upper house for one term.
It’s a marginal seat, and swings are probably unrelated to government decisions involving the skiing industry.
People using the resorts, including most employees, are generally not Monaro voters.
He must have been in the upper house for most of the time I was at uni then. I know Eden-Monaro is a swing seat at Federal level, but I couldn’t remember if Monaro was also a swing seat at state level.

Isn’t the deputy premier currently the member for Monaro?

Reactions: crackson
Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
He must have been in the upper house for most of the time I was at uni then. I know Eden-Monaro is a swing seat at Federal level, but I couldn’t remember if Monaro was also a swing seat at state level.

Yes, the Hon Giovanni Barilaro MP, he of "Jindabyne is the new Aspen".

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Yes he is.

Monaro has been considered swinging/close.

Barilaro increased his margin at each election, and now holds a 2PP of 9%.

Reactions: Chaeron

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Well I am.
I choose not to contribute to it on these sort of weekends any more.
Same.
I'm usually driving up the hill on Thursday or Friday arvos.
My only participation is back down on a Sunday arvo.
And then in the conga line only as far as Coma.

Reactions: currawong

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Hoping to do much of my skiing mid week other than kids ski program Sundays, but ultimately life dictates there is only so much mid week I can do, hence the fact myself and so many other people will roll up when it is crowded as its the only feasible way to get a decent amount of ski days in. Some may have the flexibility to avoid the crowds but many others don't so we'll still be stuck with problem of peak periods leading to congestion on roads and car parks (lifts as well? Can't see I skied much last year due to fractured wrist and COVID, 2019 was ok lifts wise if a little busier than previous years). The majority of times I've visited the resorts since 2018 it has been easily more crowded than anything I've experienced in the past. Once on the lifts its generally fine and they day is still well worth it but the battle to start the day is slowly eroding away the experience for those of us who just can't get up and go and be there at the times when its less crowded.

Given most resort skier days occur during peak/crowded periods and to some degree this will line up with periods of good conditions as many people if they can will choose the good weekends, then the resorts will need to be very aware of how close they are to the point of customers making other choices because the crowds are turning them off. For now we just keep coming.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
So much land opposite the sailing club for a parking area or even sawpit.
Trip to PB is about 35 mins, that makes about 80 mins return.
10 busses looping is about 1 every 15 mins, about 275 persons every 80 mins and that is same as skitube capacity
Thats about 70 cars an hour off the road
$5.00 head is $275 trip for each bus
Bus hire is around $180 hr (retail) weekends (28 days season) and school hols (15 days) Total 43 days
Cost to gov transport $774k (retail), Money to NPWS $1.1 mil
Drop in the ocean for NSW transport plus has massive benefits for maintenance, accidents etc etc - so doable.
Good point for parking at sawpit is if chains req they can stay on the buses, or just supply 4x4 busses

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
10 busses looping is about 1 every 15 mins, about 275 persons every 80 mins and that is same as skitube capacity
Bus hire is around $180 hr (retail) weekends (28 days season) and school hols (15 days) Total 43 days
Drop in the ocean for NSW transport plus has massive benefits for maintenance, accidents etc etc - so doable.
Good point for parking at sawpit is if chains req they can stay on the buses, or just supply 4x4 busses
Good plan. You'd think any bus would need to come fully kitted up for snow and ice driving.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Cannot like this post enough, the carpark at sawpit is beyond the NP entry from memory so parks have already taken their cut (which I understand is the big impediment to transportation).

Reactions: hatto

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I like it but would prefer to see the buses pick up in (different spots) within Jindabyne rather than everyone still having to drive to just out of town - we want to minimise people driving to a bus location I reckon :)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hoping to do much of my skiing mid week other than kids ski program Sundays, but ultimately life dictates there is only so much mid week I can do, hence the fact myself and so many other people will roll up when it is crowded as its the only feasible way to get a decent amount of ski days in. Some may have the flexibility to avoid the crowds but many others don't so we'll still be stuck with problem of peak periods leading to congestion on roads and car parks (lifts as well? Can't see I skied much last year due to fractured wrist and COVID, 2019 was ok lifts wise if a little busier than previous years). The majority of times I've visited the resorts since 2018 it has been easily more crowded than anything I've experienced in the past. Once on the lifts its generally fine and they day is still well worth it but the battle to start the day is slowly eroding away the experience for those of us who just can't get up and go and be there at the times when its less crowded.

Given most resort skier days occur during peak/crowded periods and to some degree this will line up with periods of good conditions as many people if they can will choose the good weekends, then the resorts will need to be very aware of how close they are to the point of customers making other choices because the crowds are turning them off. For now we just keep coming.
The crowds and costs push our family to NZ when able - watch Aussie post Covid.

While slopes, lifts, car parks, cafes and accommodation is full to overflowing I sense they won’t overly care. But once numbers drop off - especially during times of poor snow (fairly common in Victoria) - and the attitudinal surveys indicate declining satisfaction, then the head-scratching, marketing and re-pricing can begin.

Perhaps that should include resorts providing some decent PT services in the peak and plus resorts/regions constructing/offering ‘affordable’ accommodation options? (Elephant in room time!)

Reactions: Belly

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
I like it but would prefer to see the buses pick up in (different spots) within Jindabyne rather than everyone still having to drive to just out of town - we want to minimise people driving to a bus location I reckon :)
The problem there is that wandering around Jindabyne before heading off could double the journey time, depending on number of stops.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
yes i agree however very hard to find any carparking areas in town area, i put in another thread the area above existing original shop complex and the area out near Barry way

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I would happily car pool. no one has offered ever. it does my head in that Im one person in a car.

I also offer amongst friends.
When my mogul skier was the only athlete with a car license his car was full everyday. Now his peers are a bit older they all drive themselves, So it went from 1 car with 7 people to 7 cars with 1 person. Would only be 5 in his car these days as they would not fit in the children's car seats in the back of the Volvo anymore.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass