1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resort entry passes

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by DbSki, Jul 12, 2014.

1. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This year I found out you can no longer buy a resort entry pass with lift ticket at Buller Sports Mansfield.

Only buy from gate now, of course there was a line for entry which Ive not had to wait in ever since they sold entry passes at Buller Sports.
    You can get them online now but its not advertised anywhere I could see.
    Question is can you buy them online a few hrs before entry or do you need to get them online a day before.

Either way if you can get them online maybe do so because now they dont sell them at other locations its likely youll get a line at the gate even midweek.

Which is a joke, decades have passed and they still only have 2 lines.
    Spreading the purchase of passes to Buller Sports and Online as well as gate reduced the lines not a few cars to none at all.
    Seems be are going back to the bad old days and I suspect its the act of some officious pencil necks with no regard to what is most convienient to customers.

A reason was a given to me that they stopped selling them so they can control passes at the gate and limit them if need be. But can anyone remember a time where Buller had a "full" sign out turning people away.

Entry passes should for the benefit of customers be sold anywhere that chooses to sell them .
    Whatever relieves them of having to wait in line to enter the resort as if there are not enough lines to wait in already.

And the dual cashier idea in 2 lanes is stupid, yesterday the front cashier on the left lane was an old kent who was going at snails pace and the line on the right cleared before he had done 2 cars, and the cars in front who got the second cashier were long gone by the time kent was all done, fact is the dual cashier method just ensures sales are limited to the slowest cashier.

2. djam

djam One of Us

> A reason was a given to me that they stopped selling them so they can control passes at the gate and
    > limit them if need be. But can anyone remember a time where Buller had a "full" sign out turning people away.

I think it happens a couple of times each season, I know it was closed at least once last year.

Note, don't try to go through the gate with a bike on the roof like some poor guy did on opening weekend.
    As the clearance is not so high.

3. DbSki

Pity that's not on video.

4. scottspt

scottspt Hard Yards

You couldn't get a resort entry pass from Buller Sports Mansfield last year either

5. Mercyrx3

Mercyrx3 Hard Yards

A few weeks back I bought my pass online only to find out I then had to exchange it at the window for an actual pass. what a pointless exercise that was:rolleyes:.

Surely they have a capacity and can work out how many passes have been sold. Seems like a very Buller decision.

6. ians 158

ians 158 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This is the biggest joke EVER.
    I bought a day pass online today but i still have to wait in line at the gate,you need to print your online pass and then present it at the gate.
    WTF
    Whoever is in charge of this shamozle should go to Hotham and see how it should work.

7. ians 158

And,while i'm ranting,Dave Clark on 3AW this morning reckoned it was champagne pow and bring a snorkel because you will need it.
    Go Dave. :clap:

Dave Clark likes this.
  8. ians 158

Line of cars at entry is 1.8kms long and growing this morning

9. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

If you have to buy or pick your tickets up on the mountain can you do it from the carpark at North side Express?

We are hoping to go straight up this chair lift and avoid the village & Bourne St crowds.

10. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes you can, or in Mansfield would be even quicker

11. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The friend I was skiing with last week had to get hers from the ticket office above Buller Sports in the village. However Northside Express/Horse Hill wasn't open yet. It is now though, so you may be able to get it there. Might be worth giving them a call.

12. DbSki

Buller Sports Mansfield is the best chance to get lift ticket without getting snagged by a long wait on a day trip, the outlet at HH is small and you can get hung up behind a group off a bus hiring and they only have one register, and HH lift ticket office isn't always open, and the village office can get filled quickly by a bus crowd too.

General rule is the sooner you can get tickets the less chance of delays up the road on day trips which makes the resort entry all done from the gate now a pain in the arse when you could get both lift and entry passes at one place and avoid adding to the line at the gate.

Booking online isn't any use if you have to stop and collect passes because chances are the car in front at the second cashier is paying by card or cash and you'll have to wait for them to clear.

Online passes booked should be handed out at the third season pass gate with no sales, there is no need for the season pass gate to force people to go through a gate when they can just drive past the gate completely.
    They wont make it past parking control up the hill if they don't have a parking pass of some kind.

13. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The line in Buller Sports Mansfield was 20+ minutes last Monday on a day trip. It is really slow to process them when buying them for some reason. They should just have a kiosk or similar.

oh and I agree the gate entry is a joke!

14. DbSki

Sorry to hear it, never had it that bad myself mid week.
    One thing overall is it always pays to get up there a bit early, WRT to gate and anything else you need to wait for there isnt a lot around before 8.
    Likewise a little before lunch is the best time to get lunch, you get the fresh stuff and avoid the lunch rush a little.

15. DbSki

Pity they dont use the season pass lane for online buyers.
    Doing that would be incentive to people to order and pay on line instead of over loading paid cashiers if they knew when they get to the gate they can go through the fast line to just collect passes.
    And if online buyers starts to take off more then make 2 lines for collecting passes and 1 line for cashiers to force the last stragglers to order online instead so they only need 1 cashier not 4.

16. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

I must have misread this earlier - it's only the resort entry pass you can't get off mountain - not the lift ticket as well?

17. DbSki

Yes it's only the gate pass.
    Being able to get it with lift tickets was a one stop process.
    Now you need to stop twice to wait in lines.

If you get 20min at Buller Sports at Mansfield you could get another 20min wait at the gate now if its crowded.

18. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Any business process that impedes customer access to your product or service is going to reduce your profit margin and negatively impact your success. A progressive thinking organisation will identify these hurdles and embrace them as opportunities for improvement

19. DbSki

Thats why I suspect it was the its the work of the RMB by comittee not BSL that is a business.

20. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us

Hi all, a big friendly reminder that you do not need to stop anywhere to pick up your B-Tag. You can do the whole thing online at the BSL eStore https://bslestore.com.au/estore/

At the risk of sounding like an informercial, simply purchase the B-Tag for $5 (same price online and at ticketing outlets), and select the mail option to get it sent to you, then reload lift products as need be via the eStore or Buller Holidays iPhone/Android app - no need to go anywhere near a ticket office.

The beauty is the products get reloaded instantly. You could do it through the app on the walk between your lodge and the chairlift. None of this 24hrs waiting around like Myki! And the B-Tag is valid for years to come - no need to go to a ticket office for another one next year, unless you lose it. If you do lose it you can get the lift products replaced as long as it's registered - no more wasted money on a lost ticket.

We really want the whole process of purchasing and reloading a B-Tag to be as easy as possible. Feel free to leave any feedback.

mx_boarder likes this.
  21. DbSki

Lift ticks are fine, its the resort entry that is the problem.
    Forcing everyone to buy a resort pass at the gate and no-where else this creating a log jamb at the gate like the old days is not in the best interest of visitors, something which seems to be the second priority for RMB and what suits them for administrative expediency comes first.

What is best for visitors is to be able to buy a resort pass at other locations in the course of hiring gear or lift tickets or anything else and not have to stop twice to line up.

RMB has reverted back to a system that is of no benefit to customers and only of benefit to the un elected un representative swill of the RMB administration.

#21 DbSki, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    travelislife likes this.
  22. travelislife

Hi Dave thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread, but I think you have the wrong one. This isn't about lift tickets but the queue for resort entry at the base of the mountain. Surely if Hotham/Falls can have the simple process where you don't even need to display a sticker at all on your car and can all be paid for online it would make it a lot easier for all.

ians 158 likes this.
  23. DbSki

Yeah the lift ticket process works fine and I cant see the lift company going back to the old way.
    But like I say they are a business and it serves them to offer a better way to buy to customers.

The resort management board OTH seems to not give a toss about the customers and does what is most expedient for itself and treats customers like cattle.

And FWIW I suspect that if there was any time to lobby the state minister to slap the RMB that time is now with the current minister we have.
    The same one who has now taken the Stirling road out of the hands of VCAT to approve it for the greater good of Buller and Stirling.
    The RMB appointed by DSE needs to be slapped with a new mission statement being to act in the best interest of visitors to the resorts first and not last.

24. djam

djam One of Us

I paid for 4 season tickets online back on November 1st last year, bsl took the
    money for the tickets. Yet on my first day out this Winter, my ticket didn't work.

As the ticket didn't work when I tried to load on ABOM, I said to the others
    I'll meet you at the top. I then spent 20 minutes while it was sorted out, while
    the others waited in blizzard conditions at the top of ABOM.

Barely any communication while the bsl employee stood in the door way of the
    office waiting for someone else to sort it out. I asked if I could just buy a day
    ticket so I could get going and they could refund it later. But no, just wait around
    on my few hours off till they sort out their error.

On Sunday last, someone told me they had the same problem which took to midday
    to sort out.

No offer of compensation, just told to wait (for no specified time) until it was sorted.

I was not happy Jan, and neither were the newbies waiting at the top of ABOM
    for me.

If you pay for a product, it should be supplied in full, not for a reduced period.

25. skixracer

skixracer Hard Yards

To be fair some people at my lodge said last week they did close the gate at around midday due to the mountain hitting capacity. Although, I agree that it's crazy how the system works right now. On Sunday it took some friends of mine just under an hour to get from Pinnacle Valley to the base due to how big the queue was.

26. travelislife

Wow that sounds horrible, we are doing a weekend staying in Sawmill in a couple of weeks and this is exactly the thing I want to avoid!

27. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

The problem is 2000 cars arrive in 2 hours, and can only be parked so quickly. Faster processing at the bottom will mean a 1 km queue to be parked at the top. And as ski racer mentions the car parks also get full to capacity sometimes.

IMO the only solution in the long run is a car park at the bottom, with gondala from Mirimbah .
    It's been talked about since the original Kofler was killed investigating how the logging tramways could be adapted to some kind of lift up the mountain:

sep 1940
    CHALET OWNER
    AND
    WIFE KILLED

MANSFIELD, Wednesday.-In sensa-
    tional circumstances Mr. Helmut Kofler
    proprietor of the Mount Buller Chalet,
    and his wife. Muriel Margaret Kofler,
    were killed instantly to-day when the
    truck in which they were riding at the
    Delatite sawmills Jumped the gears and
    crashed down the mountain side.

The sawmills ore about 20 miles east
    of Mansfield. The four people were
    ascending the mountain side in a truck
    propelled on an endless chain by a loaded
    truck coming down the mountain. The
    occupied truck failed to take the cogs,
    lumped the gears, and crashed down into
    the loaded truck.

DbSki likes this.
  28. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us

Hi djam, sorry to hear about your experience - it does sound very frustrating.

I encourage you to email info@skibuller.com.au with feedback and as many specific details as possible. This will enable our team to handle the issue personally for you.

Cheers, Dave.

29. wolly

wolly One of Us

Traffic Control need to do something desperately to fix the weekend queue problem. Allowing pass holders to go straight past is terrific , but is also needs to sell a 2 day / weekend pass so those people do not have to pull up at a window either.
    Possibly pre selling Saturday / Sunday tickets the night before could be an option for the people arriving Friday and staying the weekend off the mountain. Short of widening the road to 3 lanes and redesigning the whole traffic control complex at Mirimbah there has to be a better way.

30. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think we can be friends.

31. Barras

Barras Addicted

Not just on the weekend, 2 Mondays ago i was in a 1km queue to get through the gate at 8:45 in the morning, even having a season pass doesn't help as you need to wait in the queue until you can go through without going over the double lines, On that Monday there was no one there doing traffic control like on the weekends.

32. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

Wonder what happen to the RFID trial that RMB spent a fortune on?

They should just do a deal with city link and install the overhead readers as you go through.

I am sure the costs saved on RMB staff wages would cover city links fees.

travelislife and mx_boarder like this.
  33. CarveMan

Ding. Winner!!!

34. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

They would also get some great data they could use instead of the outdated survey cards they hand out with the season car passes. Which i am sure no one completes.

35. wolly

wolly One of Us

the first rfid system cost a fortune and go thrown out, the second one is in place now, ( the cameras just past the gate )but I do not think it is operational . maybe its being tested this year

36. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

I thought they were just security type camera's recording cars rego's as the come through.

Yes the RMB at Buller is great at wasting rate payer money.

Still think the e-tag city link option is the way to go.

37. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

38. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

An early start was a good thing on Tuesday. Apparently there was some hold-up not long after I went through without a hitch. But then something cropped up [computer glitch?] at the gate around 8.30 or so and people had said they were stuck for over an hour in a 1km stationary queue at the gate. Another person said they were on the bus and saw the queue as they sailed through.

E-tags or similar that can be topped up online like the b-tags would be smart thinking.:thumbs:

39. DbSki

Regarding the $20 entry till 8AM

The benefit of getting there early is to beat the queues, traffic and get first lines.
    Seems to me RMB are now trying to spread the load due to their own "pass fail" up that causes mahem at the gate after 8am
    And dimishing the benefits of getting there early for those of us that do already.
    It's not fixing the problem they created its just moving deck chairs.

Everyone who got tickets at other outlets didnt need to stop at the gate cashier and under that system there was no line before 8 at all mid week and not much after that.

And lets not forget that as soon as that line gets long enough to occupy the road some distance back there is no way for those with season passes to get past the line.

Cant drive up the wrong side of the road to get to the gate and even if you do you are on the wrong side of the line to get to the season pass holder entry gate.
    No way for busses to pass the line and go past the gate and so the line becomes everyone not just those going to the cashier lanes and then the line grows much faster till it Kms down the road.

Its an ill managed chaos of their own making.
    Buying passes at other outlets made a big improvement and they killed it due to overloading and not having control of passes issued.
    All that tells me is they are too damn lazy to contact other outlets to tell them to stop selling passes on those few days it fills up.

And typical of them having no business sense they think its a great idea to take a hit on gate profits instead of fixing the policy that is creating the problem for them and their customers they treat more as a nuisance than customers.

But they have a solutuion to that too.
    Any shortfall they have in profits they can just slug the rate payers more to balance their books.

40. travelislife

Okay so you can buy online which is a start. But you still have to collect a sticker from the gate, crazy stuff doesn't really achieve much!

41. DbSki

So now they are going to have parking controllers down the public road outside of the resort to cause more mayhem, which will just cost more in wages for those controllers.
    But rate payers can pay for that.

42. DbSki

3 CHEERS !

CarveMan likes this.
  43. kasper

kasper Hard Yards

How did the did the early-bird trial go? Are they still doing the half price before 8am on weekends?

44. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Crikey, that sounds like a mission statement Doonks
    Well done!

45. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

They could fix the problem of lack of control of sales at other outlets very easily - just give the operators of those other outlets access to a central online system that can block further sales if the mountain gets full.

46. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I'm keen to know this too - going up next weekend (staying off-mountain) and more than happy to get to the gate early for discounted entry and to avoid the crowds!

47. wolly

wolly One of Us

the early bird deal has just made the queue for the gate back to sawmill from 7 am

48. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

So how did people that were parked in the chain fitting bay at the snow ploughing shed get back to there car at the end of the day skiing?

I see they also had day trippers park at Mirrimbah.

My bet yesterday broke all records for day tripper cars on the hill.

49. DbSki

RMB couldnt organise a root in a brothel.

50. CarveMan

I was chatting with a senior industry member who has interests on Buller and in the wider industry, he is furious about how skiers are being treated on days like these.

He had a good suggestion - all the RMB board members should be dropped off in Mansfield at 8am on a sunny saturday in a good season, in a rental car & in street clothes, and told to go skiing.