1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resort Map Posters

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Pickel09, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Pickel09

Pickel09 Hard Yards

Hi
    Was wondering if anyone new some good retailers that sold posters of ski resorts, in particular sunshine village or lake louise. Have looked around the web a bit but found everything was either crap or way to expensive (don't want to spend more than $30AU).
    Thanks

2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

There's a great site for a gallery based in Geneva that has mostly Euro posters for umm... "gallery prices". https://www.galerie123.com/en/selections/32/the-ski-sale-2019/

So while they're not affordable for us mortals, they are nice to look at and they do have a few North American and Aus / NZ posters like this allegedly 1953 poster for Thredbo. . [Although there are a few things about it that lead me to suspect it may be a modern fake made to look like a 60 year old poster.]

[​IMG]

Jonathan_P and skifree like this.
  3. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It's always reassuring to know a place has picnic tables.

cold wombat and Jonathan_P like this.
  4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Oh, if I wanted to get really obsessive about things that point to it being a fake. I could also point out that:
    • The poster is dated 1953, which is four years before the foundation of Thredbo.
    • 'Modern Turbine smooth quads that quickly whisk you...' were not invented for another 25 years.
    • The poster mentions 'Jetsetters' but show a propeller driven Constellation airliner.
    • How many Australians would think Kalgoorlie of all places was a major place of origin for skiers heading to NSW?
    • The term 'trails' was almost never used for Australian ski runs before the 1970s.
    • Snow grooming didn't exist in the 1950s, unless you count a bloke shovelling snow onto a bare patch as daily grooming.
    I was following that poster on the site, so I was amazed when it sold for a four figure sum. By all means run off a copy on a computer printer because you like the look of it, but as an historical artefact, it's almost worthless.

Unlike this genuine beauty that shows the Buffalo Chalet and encourages Dutch colonial administrators to take a ski holiday in "Australie" because it's only "12 days from Java".

[​IMG]

5. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Right click, save, print, frame! ;)

Jonathan_P and Bogong like this.