1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resort riding backpack recommendations?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by XTREMO, Dec 4, 2017.

1. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Looking at replacing my minimalist Dakine Glacier pack with something that can hold just a bit more stuff, in addition to the 2L Camelbak bladder. I like riding with a minimum of weight/thickness.

Looking at the Dakine Heli Pack 12L

also considering the Ortovox Free Rider 16L with built in back protector (been considering investing in back protection for a while).

Anyone use either? The Ortovox looks sigificantly chunkier. Prob need to try for myself in a shop but interested to see what others have to say.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  2. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

I have the slightly older model of the Dakine Heli Pro 20L. I find it pretty comfy, but a bit excessive for resort and the lifties can sometimes be a bit funny if you don't take it off - you do need to be mindful of keeping the straps sorted, make sure you check because the photos usually make the straps look neat and tucked away.

I occasionally carry a big DSLR which is part of the reason for the 20L, otherwise something smaller would be perfect. The 12L looks like a good compromise in resort. Mine also has a bit of back protection, not sure if it's officially back protection or it's there to separate the board when in horizontal carry mode

3. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have an older model Dakine Heli Pack that's only 11L. I'm pretty small so smaller is better. Works well. Haven't used it that much but have used it for carrying skis on a short hike (15 min) and that worked out.

When I was researching the purchase, Ortovox was the other brand that made the short list. I have had other Dakine packs so ended up sticking with that. Price was right for one thing.

4. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've also got the Dakine 12L and it's great. I'm 6ft 2 and it fits in the small of my back really nice and snug. It fits a waterbottle (or camelback in the laptop sleeve), extra layer, spare pair of gloves and socks and room for snacks as well. I often forget I'm wearing it, plus the little goggle pocked is handy for your spare goggles/lenses. You technically can use it as a diagonal ski carry pack but I never had as I think it would be a pretty tight and uncomfortable way to carry skis.

5. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I note you are after a minimalist bag, what is your intended use?

I don't see the point of a 12 ltr bag and even a 16ltr is too small for my liking. You could almost carry the amount they would hold in your pockets. I get it for scootching around a resort but you once you leave the boundary and are carrying your shovel and probe etc there's no room for anything else. then you would need to buy another pack for day or overnight tours. 20ltr minimum is a good size to be comfortable with a few things for a resort day and big enough for a day tour.

https://www.osprey.com/np/en/product/kamber-abs-compatible-22-10-KMBRABS22_550.html
    https://www.osprey.com/np/en/product/kamber-22-KAMBER22_503.html

I use an older 25ltr Osprey which is extremely comfortable and super durable. It's been through years of abuse and just keeps on truckin.

Jacko4650 and coolair like this.
  6. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

7. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

8. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hey @DPS Driver, I don't have my own avi stuff. Would hire if required.

This pack is mainly for resort riding and a bit of off piste/side-piste, not ski touring. My current pack is basically just a bladder with a covering (I'd guess 6L total) so 12 or 16 will be a vast upsize. The current pack has sufficed for close to a decade and before that I had a Salomon hydrapack for the decade prior!

I wouldn't want to be carrying 2L of water in my pockets!

Aside from hydration, I really just want to add goggles, possibly a mitt change and offload some of the stuff from my jacket pockets (board tool, lock, snacks).

I went into a store and compared the two aformentioned. The Ortovox is a premium product. The Dakine is basic. I bought the Ortovox 16L.

DPS Driver, Kletterer and dr80 like this.
  9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thread necromancy!

I have just picked up an Osprey Kamber 16 as a day use / inbounds pack.

It looks the goods for my use case, with the base of the shoulder straps being rubberised to allow for horizontal carry of snowboards, as well as strapped vertical carry. This will let me carry both my board and my son's board on our trip to Perisher this year.

The only bit that confuses/annoys me so far is that the whistle on the sternum strap points down. The "product shot" on the website shows the whistle pointing up, but the model shot has it pointing down.

10. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Jacko4650 and nezumi like this.
  11. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Kulkea Micropack doesn't have space for a water bladder, but can carry a water bottle or two. I've use the Micropack at large U.S. resorts with multiple bases for a few years. Has worked out well when I don't feel like stuffing my jacket pockets with small things like extra goggle lenses, spare gloves, extra neck warmer, etc.

https://www.kulkea.com/product/ski-backpack-micro-pack/

12. nezumi

I've done a couple of test runs with the pack empty to see how it will go. At the moment it looks like the most likely scenario will be my snowboard on the pack and Mr4 carrying his. I can strap his board on and carry mine horizontally, but that's less than ideal, especially when it comes to getting inside the kids' care area. Reversing this and carrying his on the back panel might work better with some gear in the bag, but with the bag empty my board fouls on his bindings, making it difficult. The width of my board is also slightly problematic, as the placement of the buckle on the lower section of the bag means that it cannot sit flat, causing the board to ride at an angle, rather than truely vertical.

I remember seeing this one in another thread - unfortunately snowboard carry functionality is critical for me, otherwise it looks pretty good.

13. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I like my Osprey Kamber 32L & recommend it if you like a roomier style lift pack that’s also big enough for some side country - ie can store a shell and a fleece, extra gloves and still hold sunnies, food, up to 3L Camelbak, etc...

For purely inbounds and if you don’t get hot easily (not storing jackets) the smaller 22L would do many people.

fwiw: I about 1.9m and I find most small / dinky ski packs have really short back lengths (& thin weedy straps & buckles) and so the waist belt is almost at the bottom of my ribs. Just watch for this feature and walk away if your test model is doing this. Totally can’t ski properly with the weight sitting so high - even lightly loaded.

Good luck & happy hunting! (;-)

Jacko4650 likes this.
  14. nezumi

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that vertical snowboard carry isn't an option on the Kamber 22L, otherwise I probably would have gone for that. As it is, the 16L seems pretty good for my purposes, and I got it at a decent discount too.

snowgum likes this.
  15. davec1

davec1 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

FWIW...
    I've been using the Dakine Helipak 12 for the past 3 seasons as a resort pack. It seems to be a good balance between size and function. We are only skiing inbounds.

I find the ski carry excellent and use it most days to carry my skis, as I carry kids and partners from carpark and back each day.

The size is good for 3l water bladder, 4 x tupperware sandwich containers, snacks, 2 x spare goggles, 4 x spare gloves (adults and kids), first aid kit, sun screen, powerbank, neck warmers, sunnies, etc.

As kids get older and out of ski school I would look to get a bigger pack as I'll carry lunch for the kids too... Better yet, they can get a pack and carry their own!

Froff Life likes this.
  16. Froff Life

I use the same pack for inbounds days, have had mine for about 5 years and it's still going strong. Great little bag that definitely punches above its weight in terms of pricing.
    The ski carry is great for small (less than 30 mins hikes) too.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  17. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Currently trying to determine the best backpack for 90% inbounds but the occasional slackcountry outing where I might need to stash a layer and have the basic safety essentials (Avi beacon, shovel, probe).
    I'd prefer something the lifties don't hassle you about every lift, so no bits hanging out for chairlifts to grab, small bladder and most importantly, some protection for at least 2 beer cans to really appreciate those hard earned views with a mate or two once you get to the top or to brag about your lines at the bottom?

LaNeige likes this.
  18. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have been using a Black Diamond Agent for about 6 years now. One of the main things I like about it is the lack of dangly bits on the outside. It is relatively streamlined compared to the other day packs in the Boof household (Osprey, Dakine heli 11 &20).
    I like the diagonal ski carry and helmet carry both of which I use often.
    When I’m not carrying much which is most of the time, it cinches down to a nice low profile for the resort.

skifree likes this.
  19. Froff Life

@davec1 and I both agree, Dakine Helipak 12 is a winner. Small enough that lifties never bat an eyelid at it, but large enough to fit a small camel-pack, has an easy to use ski/snowboard carry and enough room to fit lunch, extra layers and goggles. Mines so light I forget I'm wearing it. I really like that it has a waist AND chest strap, means it doesn't move around at all whilst skiing.

https://www.dakine.com/products/heli-pack-12l-backpack

davec1 and Jacko4650 like this.
  20. Jacko4650

Thankyou BoofHead - exactly the sort of practical feedback I need. Trouble finding old products like this for sale, so will keep a lookout for a similar profile.

BoofHead likes this.
  21. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The BCA Stash 20 also rates a mention, a bit larger than the OP is really after, but an excellent pack - well thought out and practical. Has hydration integration, chest and hip belts, lots of convenient access points, two compartments (one dry and one with drainage), a pocket for googles, diagonal carry for skis, board carrying straps, helmet carrying mesh that packs away, and loads more.

I find it sits beautifully on my back, so we'll that I often forget to buckle up and the majority of the time only use the chest strap. I've never had issues with the straps getting caught up and many of them can be easily tucked away.

If it's loaded up I tend to take it off for chairs, especially when it's busy. When it's not I leave it on my back - unless otherwise directed.

skifree, Jacko4650 and Untele-whippet like this.
  22. nezumi

Seeing as I mainly wear a shell jacket and a zipped midlayer, I'm tempted to see how I go having the low profile backpack *under* the jacket to avoid fouling straps on lifts. Has anyone tried this, and am I a fool for even contemplating it?

Jacko4650 likes this.
  23. silva

silva One of Us

I use the Osprey Kresta pack which is 14 litres. (the mens version is the Kamber - 16lt). I find it a great size for inbounds riding. I can wear it under my jacket with no problems but prefer it outside so that the hydration tube is easier to access.

nezumi likes this.
  24. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Yup. Good for side county tootles too.

LaNeige and Jacko4650 like this.
  25. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Never thought of it, but I do find wearing a pack puts me in a uncomfortable position on the chair, so I like the option to take it off. Clearly wouldn't work when under the jacket.

You'd also have to cope with your family and friends calling you a hunch back.

Jacko4650 and skifree like this.
  26. davec1

They pop up fairly often on FB Marketplace, especially as we get closer to the season. That's where I got mine.

I figured for $35, I had nothing to lose. The bag construction and material is bomb proof and over engineered. Mine has taken about 60 days of abuse from me and not a stitch is out of place.

It's ironic that I spend a small fortune on ski related gear, gadgets and travel each year yet my most used and probably best value bit of kit, is a second hand backpack that cost me less than a pair of merino socks.

It's the small pleasures!

27. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just to be different, I've basically ditched packs for resort riding. Certainly in Japan with it's plentiful vending machines, generally small hills, and a desire to remain a bit stealthy.

28. nezumi

I hemmed and hawwed about a Dakine Mission Pro I saw going on FB Marketplace. For better or worse, the guy was too far away for it to be worthwhile spending 2 hours return to go pick it up, and I didn't want to pay for postage. This would have been for proper BC use, but given that I don't actually have a splitboard, shove, probe, beacon or training yet, possibly a bit presumptive.

29. Jacko4650

Not exactly designed for snow, but I keep seeing this backpack pop up on Google Ads and it looks awesome. Wouldn't be too many issues on lifts with it's sleek, no-grabby-bits design. Designed for motorbike riders.
    [​IMG]

30. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I skied for twenty five years or more with a pack, even when in bounds because I never knew when the whim might take me and I'd go for a hike.

It's only the last couple of years that I've stopped wearing one in-bounds. It was always handy for things for the kids as well but now they can carry their own stuff, so I liberated myself from wearing a pack in resort. Must admit I'm enjoying the freedom. Chairlifts are so much more comfortable.

davec1 and skifree like this.
  31. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

FYI. I have a Dakine Heli Pack 12l for sale that I'll load up in the Gear Swap board.

32. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah same . Last years Thredbo , take pack off policy was too much . Worn it in Cham in Jan no probs . Prefer to have it for spares or skins but every chair .. pass .

DPS Driver likes this.
  33. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Yeah, last year they got a bit twitchy about people falling off chairs for some reason.

DPS Driver likes this.
  34. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Not quite, they got twitchy about chairs falling out from underneath people, so the opposite really.

Telemark Phat and DPS Driver like this.
  35. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

The chair did what it was meant to do, detach.

DPS Driver likes this.
  36. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

True, but timing was out bro.

DPS Driver likes this.
  37. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Missed it by that much, Max.

skifree likes this.
  38. davec1

There's currently one on FB Marketplace in Canberra asking $25. If your not in ACT you should get it for $30 posted if they are willing to send it.

BoofHead likes this.