Suggestion Restaurants in the Village 2018

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by sastrugi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. sastrugi

sastrugi Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi team, we're heading off in 10 days and getting excited now... I'm even making an effort to get fit again ;)

For those of you who have been in the Village so far this season, what's good to book for dinner? Last year we had good meals at Ullr, Burger Bar and Black Bear. It's been many years since I've been to Segreto, T-bar, Alpenhorn and I don't think I've ever been to the Brazilian BBQ place. Denman is a bit out of our price range this season but I'd like it to be included in the conversation if you've been there.

Do any restaurants have anything interesting on the menu or are they all pretty same-y (excluding the Mexican at Ullr and Thai at Alpenhorn)?

Discuss :)

2. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

Burger bar is still great this season, cheap and tasty. The sauce for the hot wings this year is tamer which was good for us as we struggled to get through them last year.

Candle light lodge was also a winner. We split the lamb shoulder $75 between 3 people as well as a fondue and were so full well went to bed shorty there after. Decent selection of wines at the $45 a bottle price point. Service was fantastic too.

NewTurns and sastrugi like this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I went to the Brazillian BBQ last time we were ther, and if you like meat, its sensational. A bit pricy and you will probably need to book

NewTurns, sastrugi and Sage Oya like this.
  4. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

Forgot to say the bakery, whilst still pretty slow, is still doing great egg and bacon rolls ($8 from memory) in the morning. Coffee was ok too.

kaegee, NewTurns and sastrugi like this.
  5. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

We do like meat! And I'm asking now to make a booking for two weeks' time so thanks for the heads up on the booking.

NewTurns and gareth_oau like this.
  6. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Haven't been to Candlelight since Hubert retired... I should give it another go (he and I didn't see eye to eye).

7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I heard Candlelight got a new chef. I doubt menus have changed much in general, Chorizo,Pork Belly, Scallops everywhere I would think.

Due to the changing nature of things my $5K a season spend on food and drink has moved down the road, I miss the village at night though.

sastrugi likes this.
  8. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not sure who’s running the show now but the staff working were great. Planning to dine there again in a few weeks time as we want to try the 1kg tomahawk steak and have been craving their house made focaccia bread and smoked butter. Will report back :p

sastrugi likes this.
  9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Make sure you starve yourself beforehand. Those slabs or meat just keep coming until your are ready to explode (think Mr Creosote).

The walk home afterwards is tricky

NewTurns, Sage Oya and sastrugi like this.
  10. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Won't even see you at Ullr? :(

11. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

What is the price point like @gareth_oau for dinner for 2 at the Brazilian bbq place? Is it one of those places where it’s better to go as a group or would it be worth going to with just the g/f?

12. kylep

kylep One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

We were there last weekend. I think it was 55pp. No dramas in terms of grroup size because they just keep bringing stuff around and drop portions for each person

sastrugi, gareth_oau and Sage Oya like this.
  13. kylep

kylep One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

T-Bar was great. I'd suggest most of the standard fare would be 1-1.5 dishes per person. We had a pizza, pasta and salad between 4 of us and still didn't finish it despite being quite hungry

NewTurns, sastrugi and Sage Oya like this.
  14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah fixed $55 for all you can eat, plus drinks and desserts (though you won’t have space, even for one wafer thin after dinner mint)

malas1, NewTurns and currawong like this.
  15. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Maybe, after I get my roo bar and lights. Bit leery of driving in the area at night now! Ullr is still good, but Bisty is charging too much for a beer now, and the new manager dude is a bit of a dick, won't give me locals, even though I went there more than most locals, and have a card. Probably done me a favour though, my trips are costing about $200 less now. Im all about the skiing, so no biggy, if thats the way they want to play. More money in one weekers for them I guess. Still love the place and the peeps, and see them on the hill anyway.

16. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

I don't regularly drink at Ullr but might have to now that Bernti's is off the cards as our local (personal politics). Will no doubt see you on the bench at the bottom changing into my boots on day 1!

Where we live now we have a thousand times more roos than we ever saw up there. I've hit two at very low speed (they've jumped into my front wheel), no car damage yet. It'll happen eventually. I raced one up our own driveway last night and along our road this morning. Buggers :(

Sage Oya and telecrag like this.
  17. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

We will not drive at night on the Alpine Way if we can possibly help it! TC when I next see you let’s have a drink (my card works there,)

Sage Oya and telecrag like this.
  18. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I don't normally start with the village people, but will if I know you are around! Haha!

19. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

I thought you were getting a bull bar ;)

telecrag likes this.
  20. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Deer are now the biggest problem on the Alpine Way.

I think the food in the village is pretty good this year although I cannot comment on Berntis and haven’t been to Segreto recently.
    Denman is very nice and probably not much more expensive than some other places. The light meals in the Apres Bar are worth tying when Mark is playing.Same chefs at Black Bear as last year and they are good. Ullr has surprisingly good Mexican and Tbar will be exactly the same as when you were last there (why change a good thing!) Burger bar is still very good and excellent value for money. Lunch there on a good day is lovely and not to crowded.

Never think of the Brazilian unless we are asked to go but enjoyed it last year although it is a expensive it you are not hungry. We have dined at Candlelight once this season and only had the fondues although the share plates looked good. I preferred the cheese fondue this year to previous years as it seems lighter. For some reason they did not provided sauces with the meat fondue as previously so didn’t like it as much (we should have asked). Go on a night when Jock is playing as he has a great voice.

Have fun trying out all the restaurants again!

21. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

The Roos and Deer seem to be everywhere at the moment, especially so in the snowy mountains. We’ve been seeing them road side on the Federal Highway which I’ve never seen before in 20 years of traveling along it.

Just replaced the motor in our Suzuki Sierra so we’re back on the road but will leave the panel repair job needed from the roo we hit on opening weekend till after the season ends.

22. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

And there are these...

[​IMG]

Photo taken near park entry.

Sage Oya and climberman like this.
  23. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks for this :D

24. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

I'll take the deer, roos and wombats on the Alpine Way over the Sunday drivers. I'm getting sick of them coming round blind corners on my side of the road.

Townsend likes this.
  25. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can you get a Sunday Driver Bar?

26. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

A snow plough?

sastrugi and telecrag like this.
  27. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Agree

28. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

We did Cascades for one dinner and really enjoyed the duck (and some pinot).
    TBar was good but for some reason the room was bluddy freezing. I remember it being a furnace in previous years. Had to coat and beanie up. Their Spaghetti Aglio y Olio is my go to dish. Simple prawn pasta with lashings of garlic and chilli... may I suggest a cheeky sangiovese to accompany..

sastrugi likes this.
  29. AJS

AJS One of Us

Had some great meals at Segreto and Burger Bar last year, looking forward to checking them out again this year.

Had a lovely couple of breakies at Central Road the other week, I think I’ll be checking them out for apres snacks in a week or so, really was very happy with my meals and service there.

If you dine at Kareela at all this year might I suggest staying far away from the tuna nicoise? I should have known better than to order fresh tuna at the snow. I was sadly served overcooked, grey, stinky fish. Much better to stick to their charcuterie plates and share dishes.

30. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I forgot about Central Road despite thinking it has some of the best food in the village. Shame it is not open in the evening.

You may have been unlucky at Kareela. I have not had it this year but ate it four or five times last year and it was pretty good. Actually we have enjoyed most of the food there

AJS likes this.
  31. Funky

Funky One of Us

We did Candlelight this year... the food was good...

As a large table on an early booking, relatively early in the season it was "interesting". When we got there it was "when you booked they did tell you it was on two tables didn't they"... ummmm no... They ended up moving someone else who had downsized from their booking.

Then, some time between entree and main, when clearly the food was not going to arrive in enough time to finish it they said "they did tell you when you booked that there was another sitting after didn't they?".... ummmmm no...

Again it wasn't a problem, and they did say it was there fault not ours, but, not the kind of pressure you want, when you have planned your meal on the basis of having a chocolate fondue...

The food was good, the service (other than those things), not too bad (all things considered)...

Not sure where we'll go next week. Haven't tried the Denman before. May head there.

sastrugi likes this.
  32. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us

I rarely go out for dinner in the village, but usually look for somewhere nice to hang out for a fancy drink or two (Honestly the prices are the same as the Sydney CBD). Cocktail at the Denman Apres bar was great. I also like the bar at Candlelight.

A few years ago now, we went to the Brazillian BBQ place. A couple of big rugby-playing dudes with big appetites in our party, dead serious they ate so much meat, they outstayed their welcome. The waiter was like "Would you like to see the dessert menu?" "Are you sure?" "How about now?", he would keep turning over the serving marker, and they'd scoff down another plate and turn it right back.

telecrag, NewTurns and sastrugi like this.
  33. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

We've booked Segreto and will also eat at Al Fresco and Ullr. One other free night, not sure where yet (I'm interested to try Brazillian BBQ). Two nights of lodge dinner and two nights of home cooked meals. Good balance :)

Will no doubt enjoy a lunch or two at Central Road, Paul and Gosia's food and service is very reliable.

Interesting that no one goes to Bernti's anymore, it was the place to be for so many years. Glad that it's not just us.

telecrag and NewTurns like this.
  34. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Most people only go where they are welcomed! I am sure that someone will fill you in.

35. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Oh, I know all about it. Mentioned it briefly earlier in the thread :rolleyes:

36. AJS

AJS One of Us

Hopefully that's it, might have had something to do with it being a Sunday (the tuna was definitely ooooooold) but the salad part of the dish was very good so I ate that instead. And the staff were lovely.

37. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Restaurant report so far... Sat night mexican at Ullr - brilliant. They've got it so right in there. Alfresco Pizza lunch... delicious as ever. Not much changes there, thank goodness. Kareela lunch - stupidly tried to get in at 1pm yesterday. Skied another hour then returned and sat down to a super delicious tuna nicoise salad. Highly recommended. The pork knuckle on the next table was ENORMOUS!! Lunch today at Central Road, great choice of asian soups etc.

Haven't had a bad meal yet. Been eating breakfasts and dinners in the lodge. Speaking of which, it's our turn to cook tonight so I'll catch you all later :)

#37 sastrugi, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    LMB, NewTurns, Ozgirl and 4 others like this.
  38. skull

skull One of Us

We did the burger bar on Saturday. Frickin amazing.

Had phat chips and maple and bacon buffalo wings as sides.
    Kids had kids beef burgers
    Wife had buffalo bill chicken burger
    I had the blues brothers beef burger

Also indulged in dessert
    I had affogato (but not with any booze in it)
    Wife had Brownie
    Kids had kids ice cream

They know how to charge (was $160 all up) but I somewhat expect that in Thredbo. There is still plenty of things I want to try on their menu, so will be back.

LMB, db2567 and LaNeige like this.
  39. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

That’s why I don’t rate the burger bar, way to expensive for a burger.

Did candlelight for dinner tonight, seriously good feed! Had the lamb shoulder to share, served with forks to carve and seriously could have been carved with spoons. At $85 serving 4 people it’s good value and add a few sides you would still get away close to $100. Good value and seriously good food.

sastrugi and skull like this.
  40. skull

skull One of Us

that is now on the list.

sastrugi and zac150 like this.
  41. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thredbo is a special economic zone..different currency/exchange rate....

skull likes this.
  42. AJS

AJS One of Us

3 of us ate at Segreto last night- lovely meal, ordered a pasta each and the peas/pancetta side. None of us were able to finish our meals - very generous portions. I think next time I’d share 2 pastas between 3 with a side or 2 to save some room for the liquid tiramisu!

Can definitely recommend their beef cheek and truffle pasta!

Also, loving the food at Merits, Singapore noodles are great, and lots of nice healthy choices for a nice break from burgers and schnittys

sastrugi likes this.
  43. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I thought I’d posted last night but maybe too drunk.....

Anyway I’d heard the Denman had made some changes and was worth a shot again..... so gave it a go.

The new chef was superb, really good meal and the bar staff have turned over a new leaf, really inviting.

Well worth a visit.

LMB, Ozgirl, sastrugi and 1 other person like this.
  44. AJS

AJS One of Us

Nice! Might check it out tonight then!

45. Funky

Funky One of Us

Has The Denman’s menu been updated from the sample online? Was looking at options for my sons menu and thought the menu was pretty limited.

In the end we went back to Candlelight to have Fondue. Was good. Better as table of four than 8 and not feeling sick!

AJS and zac150 like this.
  46. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

No sure I think they had the usual selection for kids, fish n chips nuggets etc

Funky likes this.
  47. Funky

Funky One of Us

Sorry meant sons Birthday. So was more asking about overall menu.

Luckily my kids can eat a variety of stuff from the kids to the adults stuff if we decide to share.

48. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

We had zucchini fritters, chicken wings, roast pumpkin aranchini and chorizo. If that helps, but we were in the bar.

And this dessert

Attached Files:

49. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

We had the Tomahawk steak on the bone at Candlelight last night. Absolutely beautiful and between four of us and some shared entrees it was also very affordable. Highly recommended.

Sage Oya and zac150 like this.
  50. skull

skull One of Us

Went to pizza place last night.2 pizzas, garlic bread and kids had ice creams for under $70

Sage Oya and sastrugi like this.
  51. sastrugi

Ski Pass - Gold

Alfresco? Delicious. We've had a couple of lunches there this week.

skull likes this.