1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2019

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by sastrugi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. AJS

AJS One of Us

Great long lunch at Cascades on Fri, really enjoyed the food. Thinking about a return visit this weekend.

Didn’t make it to Denman this time @Funky :( maybe this weekend?

Funky likes this.
  2. Funky

Funky One of Us

I was hoping to be back in September... can't get into the lodge... so not sure if I'm out until Summer, of slumming it in Jindy... may wait till then to find out!

3. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

So jealou, went Friday but they were doing a limited menu so we weren't able to order the tomahawk steak :cry: Had the lamb shoulder again which was as tasty the second time as the first.

One of my friends ordered the steak of the kids menu as she doesn't like lamb and I have to say it was the fanciest kids meal I've ever seen. The kids steak (which i had a cheeky sample of) was adult sized, seasoned and cooked perfectly. At $18 it put almost every pub steak I've had in Sydney to shame. Well played Candlelight!

cin, zac150, sastrugi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmmm

We went two free days ago. Limited menu then. Did you go two weeks ago? Or are they continuing to have multiple issues on Fridays?

5. Sage Oya

We went Friday the 3rd of August. They said they were doing the reduced menu as the only had one chef on.

6. Ozgirl

Yep that's what they told us!

We went the Friday before.

Crazy on a Friday night that they seem to be fostering on only one chef. It certainly seems like it wasn't and illness or family emergency.

7. Sage Oya

Margins are probably too slim with two on for the Friday shift. Doesn't bother me too much as I'd prefer the prices to stay where they are at the moment as it been great value.

I guess the tip is only go on a Saturday if you want the full menu experience.

8. Ozgirl

Seriously that can't be a way to run a restaurant, cutting the menu every Friday. And they certainly didn't advise us of that when we booked.

9. Caesar

Caesar Hard Yards

Where's good if you're with a vegetarian? Assume Mexican at Ullr would be a goer.

sastrugi likes this.
  10. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Burger Bar has vego food.

jonathanc and Caesar like this.
  11. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

Our lodge has plenty of room in September. PM me if you want more info, pretty cheap too.

Funky likes this.
  12. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We went in a Tuesday and didn’t have a reduced menu,

Doesn’t make sense to pay for live music and then reduce the staff numbers. FYI we would have been in the bar whilst you were eating.

13. AJS

AJS One of Us

Meals in the village this week:
    *Cascades x 2 - lovely food, good service, great cocktails.
    *Eagles Nest x 1 - Average food, good service
    *Central Rd x 1 - Great breaky
    *Kareela Hutte x 1 (buffet breaky) - Average food, good service, great Champagne ;)
    *The Pub (Alpine Hotel) x 1 - Huge portions, great nachos, good value

Agreed with @chicski Burger Bar has some good options, as does Segreto (pasta, entree and sides) and Cascades (entree, pasta again and sides). Also Central Rd does a really good sweet potato and egg vego breaky..

skiflat and sastrugi like this.
  14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

dinner booked at Burger Bar tonight at 7pm

Say hello if you're there

skull likes this.
  15. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Guys... don't overlook Ullr Mexican. Seriously good food and it looks like none have you have been there yet this year. You need to book, it fills up quickly. (And I don't eat much Mex).

skull likes this.
  16. zac150

It’s interesting different peoples experiences.

I’ve had the odd meal (part of hotel) at cascades but choose not to go there as it is just that, standard hotel food imo.

I loved candlelight this year, but a mate had a horrible experience and won’t go back (terrible steak).

I’m not a fan of the burger bar, way to expensive for the food produced, yeah nice enough but as stated earlier $160 for a feed for four people equals what we paid at a nice restaurant and we drank a lot.

I’ve always had good food at Ullr but a friends wife had horrible service there (never my experience) so won’t go back.

I see why people like the Brazilian BBQ meat fest, always friendly but I’m so over it, the meat is okay but pretty hard to get spot on.

Sage Oya, sastrugi and skull like this.
  17. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’ve been, it was our first restaurant pick for the season. It was good.

I think we’ll go cascades next. Is a Booking recommended?

sastrugi likes this.
  18. sastrugi

I"d recommend to book everywhere at this time of year. You can always chance a table but it's busy everywhere.

skiflat and AJS like this.
  19. AJS

AJS One of Us

Agreed that service and quality everywhere on the mountain can be inconsistent, but I wouldn’t discount Cascades as just hotel food- at least not what I’ve ordered - which granted tends to shy away from the basic meat and veg dishes:
    There’s been ploughmans, pasta, and desserts too that I didn’t get pics of...

Different courses for different horses though as they say..

I would have eaten at a broader selection of places last trip, but we were always out for lunches and on week days, without reservations, and Cascades always seemed to be open with tables available LOL

cin and Sage Oya like this.
  20. AJS

AJS One of Us

Also on another note- Big Bear Inn do one of my fav inclusive breakfasts: all the usual continental options, plus a fresh to order big breaky with alternating (daily) egg types. Really generous. Coffee was the worst I’ve probably had anywhere though haha.

21. sastrugi

This is the first year ever we really noticed, and commented on, the fabulous service right across the resort (well, in hospitality at least, 90% of the lifties left their personalities back in the big smoke or on the floor of last night's bar).

On the mountain and in the Village we found the service to be friendly, knowledgeable and consistent.

And yes, that food at Cascades looks good. But it's still hotel food :)

telecrag and Sage Oya like this.
  22. AJS

AJS One of Us

Agreed some really great service everywhere I’ve been this season :)

sastrugi and Sage Oya like this.
  23. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The thing I like about Burger Bar.....is that you can roll in there no booking, and they'll at least try to make you comfortable and serve you dinner in the bar area. Especially if its a bit earlier than peak. That's real low stress ......and the bar is within arms reach ;)

jonathanc, AJS and telecrag like this.
  24. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Had inion rings, fully loaded chips (with pulled pirk) and pirk ribs.

Tated fantastic and en enjoyable meal. I think the onion rings had at least a fortnight’s supply of salt on them LOL

25. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

as much as I would like a nice fine dining experience tonight, we have kids in tow so heading to the bistro for beers, pink lemonade, a couple of games of pool an pinball, followed by,..... whatever looks good on the menu.
    Will report back shortly!

Funky and Ozgirl like this.
  26. Funky

Funky One of Us

Whenever we have been to the Bistro it has been jammed, which is not fun with kids!

27. cin

We are professional table stalkers, we have even trained the kids.
    It was packed that night we went but we only waited 5 mins max.
    “Ok, we’re going we’re going!”
    That’s great, thanks!!!” :D

NewTurns and Funky like this.
  28. Funky

Funky One of Us

lol!

More it is so jammed you can't even move once you are in! I think the rugby was on the last time we were there, so it made it doubly bad.

cin likes this.
  29. sastrugi

We didn't eat at Merritts this year, but we have a good posse of table stalking going on up there usually. Everyone spread out around the restaurant, eagle eyed on anyone see to be grabbing a beanie :D

cin likes this.
  30. cin

The food and merits this year I found hit and miss
    The first day we ordered the laksa, but it had run out so got the Nasi goreng which was delicious.

The next day we got there early to get the laksa and it wasn’t good at all, the liquid too sweet yet the meal as a whole was bland. They just did not get “laksa” right. Loaded with really good fresh verges but if there is no laksa flavour you’ve failed before you’ve even begun.

The pies were pretty good but the chunky beef pie at Avalance left it for dead. Funnily enough I found the avalanche mango chutney chicken pie that others had raved about, a bit meh.

The hot dogs and nachos and the spaghetti bolognaise at Merritt’s looked great, unfortunately we didn’t have enough days to go back for all that food you wished you ordered as you waited for the disappointing dish! LOL

The bistro burgers I thought were very good, and the missus got the chicken ploughman pie which was really good.

Due to the hip pocket bashing I copped from taking 2 kids and the missus for a week in an apartment in Thredbo, we took a lot of food and cooked our own 6 out of the 7 nights, so didn’t get to try any fine dining at all this year. I’m not complaining though, I like BYO with no corkage :D

sastrugi likes this.
  31. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Finally tried the burger bar this year - great service (we rocked up at peak hour with no booking and they looked after us well despite being very very busy) and good variety of tasty food, especially for a group with a couple of vegetarians.

Sage Oya, Ralf_Plow and chicski like this.
  32. Ralf_Plow

Ralf_Plow One of Us

I've found the opposite at the Burger Bar, even come out thinking "best value on the hill", but I guess if you order up a heap of wings and sides and stuff it can get up a bit. Generally I find a burger is enough, maybe one side between 2-3 peeps. Great for kids, which does keep us going there a fair bit.

LMB likes this.
  33. zac150

I’d say it’s far from the best value on the mountain, that mantle has to go to Ullr.

Even at four burgers for $80 that’s the same as the leg of lamb at Candlelight that feeds four and that comes with veges.

I get the point with kids and agree on that which is why I think it has found its place in Thredbo it’s a good feed at that in between price / place.

Luckily my kids aren’t fussy with food, their favourite this year has been the Jindy brewery kebabs.

sastrugi likes this.
  34. Ralf_Plow

Ralf_Plow One of Us

People see value in different ways.

The great for kids comment extends past the food, it's the vibe, the constitution, Mabo.

cin likes this.
  35. zac150

Haha I must have been hungover when posting this (good chance it was out last night of the trip), this should have read bernti’s

sastrugi and cin like this.
  36. cin

37. Sage Oya

Tried the champagne fondue this weekend at Kareela which we rated at excellent as well as the rock oysters. I've been hesitant to order the oysters in the past but they were fresh and tasty. We went for the wild brumby distillery granita and the chimichurri salsa one which were delicious. Pork knuck was good as always.

Have noticed that Kareela seems to be in peak demand at the moment. We arrived at 11:45am to try and get lunch but they were already full to the brim. Thankfully a large birthday booking didn't have the numbers they booked for turn up so we were able to use some of their allocated but un occupied seats.

#87 Sage Oya, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  38. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Provided you are within a few hours drive of the coast, inland seafood can be better than city seafood. I know it from Armidale, but a lot of towns on the edge of the sandstone curtain have seafood vendors that collect from the coastal co-ops and drive a few hours inland. You buy from a van on the street. The system bypasses the centralised Sydney market and can be a day fresher than what most people get.

Sage Oya likes this.
  39. skull

Went to book a table for 5 at cascades on Saturday for 5:30. Was told no chance. Tried a few other places and they were all full too. So went back to the pizza place.

Was pretty busy compared to the other times we have been there. Anyway, then went to the public toilets and walked past cascades. It was half empty...

40. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Diggings riff raff........dahling! ;)

skull likes this.
  41. Sage Oya

Had our last pork knuckle at Kareela for the season on Monday before they shut down for the year :cry:. Cheers to the staff who made our lunches on the mountain memorable again this season!

We Also indulged in one last fondue. If you’re able to drop in before they close this weekend it’s worth a try imo, with a bowl of chips the three of us were stuffed.:p On a side note, we tried to have lunch on Sunday at eagles nest but after sitting down and waiting 20 minute without being given menus or water we gave up. :confused:

sastrugi likes this.
  42. sastrugi

(the like is for the first part of your post, not the last sentence :confused:)

Sage Oya likes this.
  43. skull

got into Cascades for dinner the other week, was a pretty nice dinner. Again very expensive IIRC was around $160 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I might try Kareela this weekend for lunch.

Sage Oya likes this.
  44. Sage Oya

End of season thoughts on eats around Thredbo/on the mountain.

Best share plates:
    Candle light lodges lamb shoulder @ $85 (enough for 4 for dinner) cozy setting and great service.

Kareela Hutte’s pork knuckle @ $65 (enough for 3 for lunch or 4 with a side of chips or beans). The occasional wait times for a table on the weekend was the only drawback if you wanted to spend the majority of your day skiing rather than having a long boozy lunch.

Kareela Hutte’s Champagne Fondue @ $36 (enough for 3 with a side of chips)

Best quick feed for lunch:
    Pies from Merits house @ $7.50
    Schnitty chips and salad at river inn & $20 (bar is cash only)

Easiest dinner without a booking:
    Burger bar - rated the plain Jane burger @$14, chicken wings @$16 and the onion rings @$9, but the main selling point was the customer service and no booking needed.

Best breakfast:
    Egg and bacon roll from the bakery @$8.50 though wait times were moderate during the peak. Coffee was decent.

Special mentions:
    Donuts at Friday flat always a winner, coffee was decent.

Dinner at the Crackenback Farm, the beef rib, scallops and trout were all delicious.

#94 Sage Oya, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Scoober likes this.
  45. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

I agree. And the thing can be 'carved' with a spoon. Yum!

Sage Oya likes this.
  46. zac150

My end of season thoughts on eats around Thredbo/on the mountain.

Best feed on the way to the mountain, the silver bullet at Rythem, in Cooma. The Poor boy is something special.

Best Off Mountain Feed - Jindy Brewery, we did four trips staying in Jindy on top of our time in Thredbo and every trip we ate at the Brewery, in and fed in less than half an hour and the food is excellent.

Best share plates: Agree, our Candlelight Dinner was awesome we had the lamb shoulder @ $85 cozy setting and great service.

Bernti's chef selection share dessert.

Most improved restaurant would have to be Bernti's, I slammed then last year but was pretty happy this year.

Best quick feed for lunch:
    For mine Avalanche are still the best pie's on the mountain.

Easiest dinner with kids, Ullr.

Side Notes, A friend had dinner twice at Candlelight and both times his meals were horrid, over cooked steak.

Sage Oya likes this.
  47. Sage Oya

We ate at the airstream caravan under rhythm a few times too. The scrambled egg and bacon rolls with cheese on focasia bread were great.

Haven’t had a pie from avalanche yet but will try one in two weeks time.

48. AJS

AJS One of Us

So do we know of any restaurant shake ups on the cards for this coming winter? I think I ate most places over last season + the season before, would be exciting to try something new this winter :D

49. AJS

AJS One of Us

BTW Kuma Pies in Cooma are my fave pies in the general area, I love stopping there to grab one for breaky on the road on my trip to/from Syd. I'll have to try one from Avalanche this year!

Sage Oya likes this.
  50. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

No real changes on the cards that I've seen or heard about. Sante, Segreto, Terrace, Burger Bar, Bernti's, Candlelight, Ullr, Black Bear, Cascades all about the same. Can't imagine much will change up on the mountain either, although the menus may get a tweak here and there.

Candlelight has built a big deck at the front of the bar / restaurant. It'll be fresh out there through winter.

Might be a change or two coming for the 2020 season. That's on top of the changes being proposed for the Merritts gondola and Mountainhouse.