Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2019

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yep beef with pineapple garnish, potatoes in a creamy/cheesy onion sauce, side salad and a section of sauces for the meat. The dish is doused in cognac and set a light at the table. 10/10 would flame again :p
ahhhh my bad.
Looking on phone screen I thought the meat was sweet potato, but its clear and apparent its meat chunks on the lappy.
Very nice!

Townsend

One of Us
Mar 28, 2014
The brekky is in a tiny nook on the side, which is too small and the menu is small as well.

I don’t get the wisdom of this. It does leave space for another cafe to open up though.
They are now doing dinner five days a week and maybe they feel they cannot do three meals a day.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
They are now doing dinner five days a week and maybe they feel they cannot do three meals a day.
Yeah I get it. Probably bigger margins for dinner plus maybe leaving time for an early morning ski.

But there’s lots of restaurants in Thredbo doing dinner, but that was pretty much the only proper cafe doing breakfast.

Reactions: Ozgirl and AJS

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Yep beef with pineapple garnish, potatoes in a creamy/cheesy onion sauce, side salad and a section of sauces for the meat. The dish is doused in cognac and set a light at the table. 10/10 would flame again :p

With a couple of sides I imagine that would feed six of us. There seems to be more than twenty chunks of the beef, and about the same number of roast spudlets. There might be some value there. What's it cost?

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
With a couple of sides I imagine that would feed six of us. There seems to be more than twenty chunks of the beef, and about the same number of roast spudlets. There might be some value there. What's it cost?

From memory it’s priced at $48 pp so $96 for the two of us. It was a fair amount of food but we were hungry from skiing all day so was able to put it away between us. If I’d had a big lunch at kareela it would have been too much.

Last edited:

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Had a lunch date with the wife at Cascades today. Boy what a meal, twas amazing. I pretty much licked the plates clean.

Reactions: AJS and Sage O

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Kareela running a reduced menu today. Had the jagerachnitzel which was good. The hamburger was so so. Looking forward to a full menu soon hopefully for a champagne fondue and pork knuck *drool

5DC505B1-E8AD-421F-9126-666EA6FAC1B9.jpeg
:eek:That’s, err, a rather lavishly priced menu. The food would have to be good!

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
:eek:That’s, err, a rather lavishly priced menu. The food would have to be good!

The share plates (knuck, lamb shoulder and champagne fondue) are really nice as are the oysters. Certainly not the cheapest feed but based on location and vibe I don’t think it’s too bad. Maybe I’m too used to Sydney prices for dining out.

Reactions: Lifes2good

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Honestly needs to be at the very least a one hat restaurant for the menu prices. I know the vibe and the location are the ultimate.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
It may look like everyone’s dancing in the waiting area. It might even feel like everyone’s dancing in the waiting area. But generally everyone is just doing a combination of: taking outer gear off, trying to find the box of tissues, putting outer gear on, paying for bar drinks, trying to find their helmet, trying to get out of everyone else’s way and making some room for staff to access the bar ... or sometimes to prepare the shot ski.

I’ve seen a few people dancing on tables though ...
Oh, WE dance in the waiting area ;) And I have also been known to dance on the tables in my ski boots. Happy days, I look forward to more of them :D

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Ok so if my accomm doesn't do breaky, and I'll be flying down so won't bring food with me (2 nighter only), where should I get my big breaky now that Central Rd is out, besides the bakery?

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
What's everyone's thoughts on:

a) Berntis Restaurant & Grill - The Bar and Brasserie
b) Berntis Restaurant & Grill - Zack's Gril
c) Terrace Restaurant @ The Denman

I haven't made it to any of the above and looking to try out some new places this season...

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
On the Easter pub crawl aka the progressive dinner, most of the people I know rated Bernti’s as the best food on the night.

I know Zack upset a few locals with all his changes but I reckon he is making an effort and the food has improved over the last two seasons.

Denman is still the best feed on the mtn, has an amazing baked bree there!

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
On the Easter pub crawl aka the progressive dinner, most of the people I know rated Bernti’s as the best food on the night.

I know Zack upset a few locals with all his changes but I reckon he is making an effort and the food has improved over the last two seasons.

Denman is still the best feed on the mtn, has an amazing baked bree there!
It wasn't the changes that were the problem with Bernti's, it was the attitude that came with it. Having said that, we all had a monster party there in 2017 and showed them that people were willing to welcome them and move on from their bad start. Except... I haven't actually been back since ;)

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
We tried the share-plate food at Zac's Bar (downstairs) back in mid-June. It's good. The place was empty, but Thredbo will be filling up with people by now. I haven't tried the Grill upstairs since Bernti's changed hands.

The Terrace has been providing lovely food for years.

The Burger Bar down the end of town near the Riverside Cabins is fun / a little cheaper.

Typically we tend to share the love between The Terrace, Black Bear, the Burger Bar, T-Bar and Candlelight. [edit - plus Central Road, where the food's great]

Funnily enough I've never ever been to Segreto - the Italian restaurant in the Hotel. That should go on the list (depending on people's word-of-mouth reviews).

Reactions: Sage O and AJS

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
We tried the share-plate food at Zac's Bar (downstairs) back in mid-June. It's good. The place was empty, but Thredbo will be filling up with people by now. I haven't tried the Grill upstairs since Bernti's changed hands.

The Terrace has been providing lovely food for years.

The Burger Bar down the end of town near the Riverside Cabins is fun / a little cheaper.

Typically we tend to share the love between The Terrace, Black Bear, the Burger Bar, T-Bar and Candlelight. [edit - plus Central Road, where the food's great]

Funnily enough I've never ever been to Segreto - the Italian restaurant in the Hotel. That should go on the list (depending on people's word-of-mouth reviews).
Segreto (and the Stubl before it) was always wonderful but I haven't eaten there since Jean-Michel was chef so that was a very long time ago. We went to a lot of wine dinners in there when they first started in the early 00s.

Reactions: Sage O

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
I have eaten at Segreto every season for the past 5 or so, and can confirm it's good. Not blow your socks off good, but certainly fills the spot for a bit of a pasta snob. I always crave carby Italian in the cold, hence the visits every season. They also have some interesting and relatively affordable Italian wines served in nice glassware which makes it a bit more special.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I have eaten at Segreto every season for the past 5 or so, and can confirm it's good. Not blow your socks off good, but certainly fills the spot for a bit of a pasta snob. I always crave carby Italian in the cold, hence the visits every season. They also have some interesting and relatively affordable Italian wines served in nice glassware which makes it a bit more special.
Doesn’t it use the same kitchen as Cascades?

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Had the champagne fondue at Kareela Hutte on Saturday, still excellent and with a bowl of chips on the side was plenty for the four of us for lunch. Also, they have the Kareela Gold schnapps back again but its not listed on the drinks menu so just have to ask for it.

The Rib Eye bone-in share plate has gone off the menu and has been replaced with Lobster Thermidor. Looking forward to trying it at some point this winter. Looking forward to a pork knuck this weekend!
886D1053-D406-4BDC-97A5-689B71B07A0B.jpeg 3222D503-6A80-4978-BA7D-F0733B34B321.jpeg 1530BB19-D265-4953-8F95-8EF3001A5BEA.jpeg 49821174-DDEA-4763-9722-DBBAB841DEE1.jpeg 89EC9DA8-D9E1-43AA-9C35-B1FAB221701C.jpeg

Reactions: Lifes2good

Lifes2good

One of Us
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
What's everyone's thoughts on:

a) Berntis Restaurant & Grill - The Bar and Brasserie
b) Berntis Restaurant & Grill - Zack's Gril
c) Terrace Restaurant @ The Denman

I haven't made it to any of the above and looking to try out some new places this season...
We went to Zack's season before last and it was great except for the mac & cheese which the kids had - too salty, they actually couldn't eat it - and one of our mains had to go back as it wasn't right. We were a group of 8 and other than that the meals were good. Oh and they charged us for a dish we didn't have but corrected the bill when we pointed it out to them.

Having said it was 'great other than.....' we haven't been keen to go back. There are too many other places we prefer.

Reactions: AJS

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
We went to Zack's season before last and it was great except for the mac & cheese which the kids had - too salty, they actually couldn't eat it - and one of our mains had to go back as it wasn't right. We were a group of 8 and other than that the meals were good. Oh and they charged us for a dish we didn't have but corrected the bill when we pointed it out to them.

Having said it was 'great other than.....' we haven't been keen to go back. There are too many other places we prefer.
That sounds like a bad experience to me :)

Reactions: cornice11

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
2019 July Trip Report 3 day trip:

*Merritt's Mountain House: A lot of dishes seemed to be sold out by 2pm ish. Pea and Chickpea curry quite nice though, filling and somehow stayed hot/warm while eating outside (in the sun). Would order it again.

*Sante Churrasco: Some interesting wines on the list at a decent price. Food is pretty good, certainly plentiful. Staff are friendly. Cheese bread too addictive. Wouldn't rush back but I'm not a big meat eater so I'm not really the target demo.

*The Bakery: Will be rushing back for another Panang chicken curry pie and to try the massaman beef one. Pizza pretty good too. Ham salad sandwiches aren't as I remember - bread was rock hard.

*Black Sallee's: was the busiest I have seen it, but thankfully we caught the end of it and got a seat before the food was ready. The Captain - great as always. Pumpkin wrap better than I thought I would be, and nice to get some veggies on the mountain. Chips were completely undercooked - whyyyyyyyyyyyy? :( Liqueur hot choc menu is gone, but they still did a very strong jaffa (Cointreau) one for me for $12. Great value I think when it's usually $10 a shot in Syd anyway. Staff exceptionally lovely - I dropped my accomm key and they put it in a bucket on Slowgums for me (discovered when I was at the bottom of Kosci)

*Segretto: lovely staff, food was very nice. Rigatoni with duck ragu the pick of the bunch. In and out as quickly as needed. Portions generous.

*The Denman Library Bar: great spirit/liqueur selection, but the bartenders are the types that probably call themselves "mixologists" and don't know what true hospitality is about. Will give them another shot as hopefully it was just a bad mood that evening.

*The Alpine "Poolside" Bar: not sure what this is called now there's no pool?? Can't wait to go back though to check out Hot Dub Time Machine on 10th Aug for the Mumm Red Sash Sets. That will go off!

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
*Merritt's Mountain House: A lot of dishes seemed to be sold out by 2pm ish. Pea and Chickpea curry quite nice though, filling and somehow stayed hot/warm while eating outside (in the sun). Would order it again.

I'd count that as a good sign - I'd far prefer to go to a place that actually has limited stock of items over one that is either using lots of frozen stock, or has an oversupply of product that has to be sold the next day.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Few wins for me.

Ullr’s New Mexican - the Jalapeño Poppers were delish. Would do again - would order entire dish for myself rather than sharing one dish with the group, they were that good. Although they did repeat on you!!

The brownies at frostbite are the bomb!

Kareela Huttes Nicoise Salad was excellent, and the Fire and Ice shots were good - like a fruit tingle!

Shared a bowl of chicken wings with @Ozgirl at Black Sallees - enjoyed them also.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Few wins for me.

Ullr’s New Mexican - the Jalapeño Poppers were delish. Would do again - would order entire dish for myself rather than sharing one dish with the group, they were that good. Although they did repeat on you!!

The brownies at frostbite are the bomb!

Kareela Huttes Nicoise Salad was excellent, and the Fire and Ice shots were good - like a fruit tingle!

Shared a bowl of chicken wings with @Ozgirl at Black Sallees - enjoyed them also.
Yes after the Black Sallees review above I was coming to say the wings were great and the chips were good too!

The wings (as an FYI only) were a little hot for me. just a smidge. but not sure if i am still sensitive to spicy/chill like when i was pg. So if you don't like chill maybe get the honey/soy.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Black Sallees always seems to be a winner.

The menu at the wheelhouse bistro has gone even more “snacky” than before. If you’re after a simple ham and cheese panini or a pie or sausage roll (etc) this is your place. If you want something more substantial go elsewhere.

I haven’t got anything nice to say about the Black Bear, didn’t expect to, so will otherwise remain silent.

I do want to wax lyrical about something other than Black Sallees and hopefully I will soon.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Black Sallees always seems to be a winner.

The menu at the wheelhouse bistro has gone even more “snacky” than before. If you’re after a simple ham and cheese panini or a pie or sausage roll (etc) this is your place. If you want something more substantial go elsewhere.

I haven’t got anything nice to say about the Black Bear, didn’t expect to, so will otherwise remain silent.

I do want to wax lyrical about something other than Black Sallees and hopefully I will soon.

Just what we need, more bread, pies and sausage rolls :whistle: ..I wish there were more fresh food options on the mountain and in the village, I can't be the only one?? Big props to Merritt's offering items like poke bowls etc!

Reactions: DPS Driver

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Reactions: AJS
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a