1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2019

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by sastrugi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Now, there's a good point. What is it being called now?

2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

"Alpine Bar"

3. Ozgirl

Whoops sorry. forgot photo

Attached Files:

User has resigned likes this.
  4. AJS

AJS One of Us

Well there you have it :D

5. AJS

AJS One of Us

Just what we need, more bread, pies and sausage rolls :whistle: ..I wish there were more fresh food options on the mountain and in the village, I can't be the only one?? Big props to Merritt's offering items like poke bowls etc!

DPS Driver likes this.
  6. Ozgirl

Which is exactly why this thread is great~

Want fresh food make it yourself! :) (said in the nicest possible way!)

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/c...ur-heart-out-thread.85024/page-2#post-3969738

AJS likes this.
  7. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Just spent 5 days across 2 weekends in Thredbo including plenty of eating, so I thought I'd share my views on the food I had across the mountain and village. All of these places and some of these dishes chosen based on favourable reviews and recommendations on here and I can pretty much agree with most people upthread. In general all the places I went to were excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to visit any of them again.

Candlelight Lodge: Absolutely excellent. Had the lamb shoulder and we literally carved it with a spoon. It was so tender and delicious, and the sides and sauce it came with complimented it wonderfully. Fed four with a few extra sides and was great value - best meal I had in Thredbo . The staff here were very friendly and the singer at the bar (Jock?) was excellent. Only issue was the food was very slow, taking over an hour to arrive. Our waiter told us that it is an issue on Fridays (which was when I were there) but said that if we came back mid week it is much quicker.

The Denman: Ended up here as part of a large group, and it was a mixed experience. I shared the 1kg Wagyu Rib-Eye which itself was very good. Others on the table enjoyed the Cocoa Pappardelle Ragu, the Prawn Spaghetti and other dishes. One staff members dropped a tray of drinks on one person at our table, who spent the rest of the night soaked from Champaign and Beer. Another staff member was good enough to spill jus from the Rib-Eye upon the same gentleman and myself. For the price you pay better service would have been expected. For all our trouble our drinks were free but still annoying nonetheless.

Sante Churrasco: I am a very big fan of churrasco style dining and this one certainly didn't disappoint. The staff in here went above and beyond, bringing out extra of our favourite sides and meats without us even asking. The meat was cooked very well and was plentiful. The chilli beef was a bit took spicy for my liking, although the server did warn about the heat. My favourite chicken hearts was cooked to perfection but the standout would have to be the the scotch pork.

Burger Bar: Now i'll be honest, I don't eat Burgers so I don't know what to expect from this one. I was pleasantly surprised by the plentiful non burger options on the menu, of which I went for the ribs. Serving sizes here slightly on the small side but the food was still very good. Others had the Plain Jane and the Fair Dinkum burgers which went down well, and the charcoal buns are supposedly very good. Service here was also very good and for some reason we got free drinks (although I'm not complaining).

Black Sallees: I don't think I've ever seen Black Sallees as busy as it was the times I was in there. Had to wait 30 minutes for a table, with similar waits for food (one person should order, the rest scout for tables). The food on the other hand was generally good, with the Chicken Wings and Tandoori Chicken on Turkish being the standout.

The Bakery: The Bakery has long been a favourite of mine. The bacon and egg roles were good if you didn't mind the wait. Otherwise the Penang Chicken Curry Pie was excellent, and so was the coffee.

Kareela Hutte: Had a very long but enjoyable lunch here on Saturday. After the manager Julia ignored me and seated people behind me in the line ahead of me, I managed to get Shayne, who was so friendly to find me a table with only a short wait. Julia continued to be rude throughout the service, including knocking into me and ignoring other customers. Other than her poor performance the experience was very good. The oysters seemed fresh and tasted good, as did the bread. We had the Pork Knuckle between three and it was excellent, would highly recommend. Finished off with a Chocolate Fondue which was fun and had an interesting array of items to dip into the chocolate, with the donut thingy being a favourite.

telecrag, JM72, climberman and 3 others like this.
  8. AJS

AJS One of Us

Haha I’ve been following that one keenly actually love a good cook up / picnic - but as I flew down with very limited baggage allowance, and was not so keen to make the trek up the hill to the back of the village to my accomm everyday, my options were limited to the hill. Thankfully we did eat well, albeit somewhat unhealthily :D

9. Alleve

Alleve Addicted

I ate at the burger bar as well. A 9 (now 10) year old member of our group was celebrating her birthday; the manager/owner (who apparently also owns the donut kiosk at Friday flat) presented her with free ice cream and sung happy birthday. Its a small gesture but it certainly meant alot to her. It's stuff like that which makes me like the burger bar so much... along with their great burgers.

zac150, Sage Oya, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  10. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon this is a pretty fair summary of Thredbo restaurants albeit I have never had poor service at Denman but also never been there busy.

I had the baked brew which was amazing!

And yep Candlelight leg of lamb is hard to go past.

Sage Oya likes this.
  11. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Just had the corn fritters with salmon and the eggs with caviar at kareela for breakfast. Very nice :p. Now back to skiing lol
    0DF7B5D2-CF86-4C56-8181-DA95DB190331.jpeg
    1DB7D011-9720-4B88-9310-DEA33C9F21AC.jpeg

Lifes2good, AJS, Ozgirl and 1 other person like this.
  12. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

A few updates from the weekend.

Didn’t eat at Central RFS but was definitely doing breakfast. Noted though that the printed menus in the window didn’t have breakfast, it was on a blackboard.

Hit the burger bar for lunch, as good as I remember.

Tried candlelight for the first time for dinner. Had a drink in the bar first, good friendly service. Dinner was nice but the service was a little lacking. Got told about 10 times that our table had a booking after ours, despite not ordering dessert and clearly almost done with our wine. Left a sour note on an otherwise nice evening

Sage Oya likes this.
  13. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@Sage Oya must be loaded, eating at Kareela!

I know a few of the proprietors of venues, which does make me bias. However in all honesty, service is such an inconsistent thing in Thredbo generally IMO. I reckon it's a nightmare, trying to get, and retain the keepers.

Personally it's interesting watching the vibe change. From the heady party days of the 80's, when most staff lived in the village, to now, where there is much more accommodation, in a newer style, and venues now starting to renovate to modernise.

Sage Oya likes this.
  14. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

J_Busworth great summary , thanks.

Couple of other suggestions:

Black Bear. Good food with daily specials, great staff and an excellent atmosphere. One of our go to restaurants that will be sorely missed when Sandy and Stav leave.

Central Road are doing dinners five nights a week. If you like asian fusion food it is great.

Segretto We had dinner there the other night and the food was pretty good. The service was a little inconsistent but worth going to as it had vacancies!

Haven’t been able to Ullr since the renovations were finished but the mexican food there is usually pretty good for the price.

Kareela are now doing a limited number of dinners with transport in the new cat. Will be interesting to hear reports on them.

Sure the restaurants are more xxxy than city restaurants but considering all the variables I think that the standard is pretty good. Just need some more lunch venues.

J_busworth and Sage Oya like this.
  15. Sage Oya

Haha definitely not, between meals at Kareela we're eating cup ramen in the carpark and camping LOL

AJS, LMB, Ozgirl and 1 other person like this.
  16. telecrag

One meal there = a night in the hotel!

Haha

Sage Oya likes this.
  17. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Cup Ramen in a hotel would be my pick!

18. Sage Oya

Had our first knuck of the season on Saturday and it was as delicious as I remembered. Still a heap of food split three way and at $65 it’s a steal imo. Loving the gravy on the side as it preserves the crackling. Mmmm getting hungry thinking about it *drool

zac150, Scoober, LMB and 4 others like this.
  19. Ozgirl

I am struggling to find a pork knuckle not pickled/nitrate, whateves.... Also want to put that on the Weber!

Sage Oya likes this.
  20. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Brickworks, or The Quarry ;)

21. sastrugi

Disappointed to read your report of Julia, she was amazing at our lunch on Thursday. It wasn't like I know her or anything, but she was attentive, friendly and utmost professional. A bad day is no excuse for bad service, but seems like you copped one because she's in the head manager role for a reason.

Crackenback Farm put on a magnificent meal and breakfast last weekend. Wild Brumby Schnappery did the best meat and cheese platter I've had for years. Alfreco Pizza still churning out great pizza. Awesome lunch at Central Road and the tuna salad at Kareela can't be overlooked for those wanting fresh food.

We were all on a bit of a dollar saving trip so we cooked at home the other nights... food was awesome, so was the Hendricks, Mumm, Verve, all the wine everyone bought but most of all the company we kept :D

LMB, Ted Harper, Sage Oya and 2 others like this.
  22. sastrugi

MASSIVE vibe change since the majority of the staff were kicked out of the village. Lots of convo about this situation last week. To quote one well known identity, "everybody says 'it's not as much fun as when we were here' and they're wrong... we shouldn't think it's less fun these days than it was then. Everyone has a lot of fun But let it be known, we did have the best fu*king fun of everyone" :D

zac150, LMB and telecrag like this.
  23. Sage Oya

We've only ever had excellent service from both Julia and Shayne over the past few seasons. Always greeted with a smile and a how's the mountain skiing etc. It does get crazy busy at times and it would certainly be a challenge trying to keep everyone happy and manage expectations on waiting times etc. I think given the low available seating numbers and the high demand that the staff do a great job. Also a special thanks to the chefs in the kitchen, love your work :love:

sastrugi likes this.
  24. sastrugi

It's not the same without Brandi though, we missed her vibe, her energy, her fun and her company :love:

Sage Oya likes this.
  25. Sage Oya

Agreed, ski shots were the best when she was hyping the room:D

26. sastrugi

So was Neil Diamond :D

Sage Oya likes this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Same.
    Great service for our lunch.
    Smiles all round.
    And we went in just as the lunch rush were finishing up so they would’ve been stuffed.

I’d like to also give the nod to Tristan’s slow cooked lamb at The Denman. My meal for the last night in Thredbo last trip and it was divine.

telecrag and Sage Oya like this.
  28. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Maybe Julia had a bad day the day I was there, I will have to go back and see if my experience is different. It would be very good if it was indeed a one off.

and can I just say thank you to all who have shared information in this thread, it has become an invaluable resource and I wish that there was a thread like this for all the resorts I visit1

sastrugi and Sage Oya like this.
  29. newman

newman Addicted

No love for T Bar in this thread?

I mean, its crazy expensive, and kinda average and the service is wildly variable but theres something about that place I just love. The old school ski resort fit out, the timber walls, the $40 pizzas.

30. sastrugi

I went to T-Bar for dinner twice a week for most weeks of the 90s. It was our lounge room as we didn't have one in the flat we lived in. Lots of smoking, drinking and after hours table top dancing to Tarantino soundtracks. Then it was sold, they put a TV in there and I pretty much haven't been in there since!

Ozgirl, zac150 and Sage Oya like this.
  31. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah in the 90’s it was the best or one of the best couple of restaurants in Thredbo. I’ve been there maybe once in 10 years and was disappointed, when I used to go at least once a season.

32. zac150

^^^^^^^ this, I cant remember who the manager was in the early 00’s but she was awesome, remembered us and our drink order even though we only dropped in monthly at best.

I think she may have been an owner.

Seriously died after but the new manager seems to be bringing it back. Still not the same.

33. Sage Oya

Having the ham and cheese croissant and the bacon and egg roll this morn at kareela. Both very nice. Probably prefer this egg and bacon to the one at the bakery as it has aoli which ties in nicely with the other flavors:p

telecrag likes this.
  34. telecrag

Hahaha. Howmuchizit? $30?

35. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, I went a couple of times over my last trip.
    Pizzas great, lamb shanks awesome, service always excellent with good craic.

Lifes2good and Sage Oya like this.
  36. Sage Oya

Croissant $8, egg & bacon $12

Lifes2good, zac150 and telecrag like this.
  37. telecrag

Looks alright!

Sage Oya likes this.
  38. Sage Oya

Lunch today at pajero lodge.
    Today’s special spicy miso ramen $6.50, asahi tall cans $2. Get in early, very limited seating :p

Lifes2good, Ted Harper, Velma and 6 others like this.
  39. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Best place for a date lunch with the missus?

40. linked_recoveries

On-hill it's either Kareela Hutte or upstairs at Eagles Nest. Both are expensive but they're the table service restaurants.

Sage Oya likes this.
  41. linked_recoveries

That was Dimity back then I expect. Before that it was Rainer.

sastrugi likes this.
  42. Sage Oya

Kareela gets my vote, or if the weather is nice pack a picnic in the backpack with a bottle of bubbly and ski out somewhere around the top of the GCB.

43. linked_recoveries

That's a good call.

Sage Oya likes this.
  44. zac150

Yep dimity sounds right

45. Annabuzzy

Personally I think Kareela has turned into a beer barn. I much prefer Eagles Nest.

46. zac150

What the Canberra Mafia have been kicked out!!!! I would accept chardy shack but beer barn?

47. Annabuzzy

Ok chardy shack!!

It just reminds me of a rugby club reunion after say 3pm

48. Annabuzzy

Maybe even 2pm

49. zac150

That would be the Canberra mafia then,

50. linked_recoveries

Kareela remains the one venue where the vibe of the whole place can just go to another level. @sastrugi posted a video last season wherein the entire place was singing Cracklin' Rosie at the top of their collective voices. If that's your thing where else are you gonna go? Since KT took it back the food has lifted its game - expensive, but good.

sastrugi likes this.