Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2022

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Had a lovely dinner at Candlelight on Thursday. I had the salt cod rosti and confit duck. Magnificent bottle of smooth Malbec :yum: 2 entrees, olives and bread, 3 mains, 2 desserts, 1 bottle of wine and a softie - under $260. Excellent service, Jock playing tunes. Friends at the bar. Recommended.

Initially tried for the T Bar. I'm really keen to eat there as the owners are very friendly chaps, however the prep chefs were not only unhelpful but also pretty rude when we tried to make a booking at 4pm. Were told we had to make it online. Online wouldn't accept a booking within 2.5 hours... even though we were trying to make it for 3 hours later. Went back in... can't help, can't even look at the bookings. Then came outside and told us they were booked out (so they had looked at the bookings). Then our lodge managers told us they'd walked in and got a table. Not a good look for the T Bar this early in the season.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Had a nice feed at Candlelight opening weekend. Spicey Pumpkin soup and the Venison Goulash. No alcohol that night, was nursing a concussion, still am for that matter.

Also ate at Berntis and had the Drunken Prawn linguine, sauce and prawns perfect, GF pasta overcooked to buggery, which was unfortunate.

Did the set menu at candlelight as well. Food decent but the new set menu is not a winner in my book. I understand why but I really liked the old menu, some really good dishes and was consistently good. Did scratch my head when the waitress told be sparkling water was $6.00 a head, WTF. Had a good steak and a reasonable burger at the Bistro as well.

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
Just thought I'd let anyone know who is reading this and tossing up what to do that bookings seem extremely tight this year.

I made my bookings at least a month in advance and could not get in anywhere at all in the village on a couple of nights at family friendly sitting times and generally most restaurants were booked out on multiple nights of the stay. This includes the 'hotel' we are staying at who failed to reserve enough tables for residents and/or tell residents to make bookings at the time of booking rooms. Having seen the problems online I even asked for assistance when paying in full for those rooms 30 days before arrival and got a 2 line email directing me to the website. At the extortionate prices (ie I'm paying almost double for basic 3* rooms than what we're paying to stay at the Fairmont in Whistler in January) it is fair to say I'm not impressed. I want to support the local industry but gee they make it hard.

Trip is during school holidays which is no doubt unhelpful but it seems to me if you want to eat anywhere other than the pub or the pizza anytime from school holidays to September you should be thinking about booking before you come down.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Just thought I'd let anyone know who is reading this and tossing up what to do that bookings seem extremely tight this year.

I made my bookings at least a month in advance and could not get in anywhere at all in the village on a couple of nights at family friendly sitting times and generally most restaurants were booked out on multiple nights of the stay. This includes the 'hotel' we are staying at who failed to reserve enough tables for residents and/or tell residents to make bookings at the time of booking rooms. Having seen the problems online I even asked for assistance when paying in full for those rooms 30 days before arrival and got a 2 line email directing me to the website. At the extortionate prices (ie I'm paying almost double for basic 3* rooms than what we're paying to stay at the Fairmont in Whistler in January) it is fair to say I'm not impressed. I want to support the local industry but gee they make it hard.

Trip is during school holidays which is no doubt unhelpful but it seems to me if you want to eat anywhere other than the pub or the pizza anytime from school holidays to September you should be thinking about booking before you come down.
I’d put myself on a wait list, particularly for Cascades. Sadly a few numpties place bookings at multiple restaurants for the same night, and then cancel the ones they don’t go to late (or don’t turn up at all)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Oh no! They used to be good. Darling daughter and I were planning on going there. This is very bad news buzzy :(
I would definitely give them another go. The food is usually very good and it may take them a few evenings to get back to normal. Afterall they have basically been closed over the last two years. Unfortunately the staffing problems will be everywhere this year due to the lack of accomodation in either the village or Jindabyne. We will definitely have dinner there this season..

Reactions: jrr

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Well I figured I should book for the Friday and Saturday nights of our "Bank Holiday" long weekend and took Cascades for 7:00 on the Friday (we are staying at TAH) and T-Bar for 7:00 on the Saturday. I'm figuring Sunday we can organise while down there. Shouldn't be a problem for that evening.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Sante shut
20220622_134127.jpg

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
B85F0A39-F1E6-4539-9258-D5457640856C.jpeg

Black sallees menu under KT management. Wings and loaded fries were good.
They luckily still have some German beer options and the one on tap was nice. Little bit of a different vibe without the captain but still a little better offering then merrits
As expected, it seems like prices have gone way up. I went to Black Sallees in 2019 and the loaded hot dog (which was a kransky) did not cost anywhere near $18. It's not all bad though if they've still got German beer on tap

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
As expected, it seems like prices have gone way up. I went to Black Sallees in 2019 and the loaded hot dog (which was a kransky) did not cost anywhere near $18. It's not all bad though if they've still got German beer on tap
A takeaway kebab at the kebab shop is $20. Thredbo prices.

Meanwhile in Casa LMB we enjoyed a slow cooked beef chilli courtesy of PBs pre- illness preparation, with lots of containers of the stuff to stock the freezer.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
That seems to be it…… a few burgers or a schnitty wouldn’t go astray
Well that stinks, guess i won't be going back there.

Merritts was just as trash when i went in there yesterday too, so i walked straight out again.

Gonna have to find somewhere off hill for lunch every day then

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
A takeaway kebab at the kebab shop is $20. Thredbo prices.
Which is why I don't go there. Spend a little bit more and you can get something 10x better at the Burger Bar or even the Thredbo pub.

The old Black Sallees charged Thredbo prices. The new Black Sallees looks like KT is taking the piss. There's a very big difference between charging Thredbo prices and trying to rip people off.

Reactions: Annabuzzy and LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Which is why I don't go there. Spend a little bit more and you can get something 10x better at the Burger Bar or even the Thredbo pub.

The old Black Sallees charged Thredbo prices. The new Black Sallees looks like KT is taking the piss. There's a very big difference between charging Thredbo prices and trying to rip people off.
Oh don’t worry, we didn’t buy one. Just looked at the prices through the window on the way to T Bar. Would’ve gone to burger bar if we could’ve got in.
A dirty kebab should not be $20, but when you are struggling to get ingredients, and staff I can see why it ends up so exxy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Oh don’t worry, we didn’t buy one. Just looked at the prices through the window on the way to T Bar. Would’ve gone to burger bar if we could’ve got in.
A dirty kebab should not be $20, but when you are struggling to get ingredients, and staff I can see why it ends up so exxy.
They're not much cheaper at Perisher

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Well that stinks, guess i won't be going back there.

Merritts was just as trash when i went in there yesterday too, so i walked straight out again.

Gonna have to find somewhere off hill for lunch every day then
The current lunch prices and scant variety in both summer and winter at Thredbo is my biggest gripe with the place. At the bakery 4 years ago they would make $5 pizza slices with leftover ingredients and even last year salad rolls were $8 and made fresh...now you get some pre-made thing for $14 with less ingredients. Atleast Thredbo isn't charging $5.50 for a cup of hot water like Perisher. I recommend packing lunch now until the prices come back down to earth. In Summer I just swing by Jindy and then do an arvo mtb session, but winter parking doesn't allow that to be an option.

Reactions: Alleve

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Will prices ever come back down to earth though, or will KT continue to charge ridiculous prices after realising people will still buy the product?
Ski pass and food prices are two different catergories I think (or I think there is an association between the two when we talk about prices at Thredbo). The increase in the ski pass and lowering of numbers has increased the value in the product - therefore I will put up with the ski pass increase to an extent.

Food though can be brought in, and thanks to the Thredbo layout, it isn't hard to go back to your car for lunch. Not until last weekend, I had never not brought food there, now I am voting with my feet and from my general observation I am not the only one to do so.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
That is

What a trashing of what used to be one of my favourite lunch options!
Did Thredbo finally buy black sallees?

For those converting to the carpark feed, you can put frankfurts in a thermos for lunch time. Take 75% of the price off. Although, I do know of people who literally buy a day pass, do one run and then hang out at black sallees all day, that option wouldn't be for then.

Reactions: Alleve

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
when we were in thredbo for SIC I was really impressed by Black Sallee's and the traditional alpine food that was available. That new menu is just crap..

Staff shortages might be a contributing factor - stick to things that can be got out with minimum labour. I fear though that it's more than that and s return to the old style is unlikely :(

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
B85F0A39-F1E6-4539-9258-D5457640856C.jpeg

Black sallees menu under KT management. Wings and loaded fries were good.
They luckily still have some German beer options and the one on tap was nice. Little bit of a different vibe without the captain but still a little better offering then merrits
Is that the entire menu? What happened to the burgers? The bacon and egg roll? Nachos?

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
when we were in thredbo for SIC I was really impressed by Black Sallee's and the traditional alpine food that was available. That new menu is just crap..
bang on! KT have been after the site for ages, why bother going to all the effort of pushing out the old owners if that's all KT are going to dish up.

Staff shortages might be a contributing factor - stick to things that can be got out with minimum labour. I fear though that it's more than that and s return to the old style is unlikely :(
I can't cop that. The old owners supplied accommodation for their staff and never seemed to have issues with staffing levels. Maybe KT should have put some more dollarydoos into staff housing to entice workers rather than being a bunch of thieving shit ****s

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
bang on! KT have been after the site for ages, why bother going to all the effort of pushing out the old owners if that's all KT are going to dish up.

I can't cop that. The old owners supplied accommodation for their staff and never seemed to have issues with staffing levels. Maybe KT should have put some more dollarydoos into staff housing to entice workers rather than being a bunch of thieving shit ****s
staffing is a huge issue in hospitality and tourism everywhere. accom shortage makes it even worse. "backpackers" and international students have been very important in this sector. and lots of australians who worked in the sector have found jobs that are better paying or more secure. so not all KT's fault

but not having goulash is unforgivable

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

While I can see your point one if my boys did a season as a kitchen whipping boy at Black Sallees. He had his own accom in Jindy and very quickly found himself with insecure work as the season slowed down because the staff who were in staff accom for them got priority. They got both bites of the cherry - staff at cheap rates, plus most of the dollars paid back to them in rent for the accom. Payments were sporadic and not consistent, there was no such thing as pay day. It was hard solid work, and I’m not sure that if the old owners and set up were still in place that they wouldn’t also be battling to staff the place.

But yeah, it’s sad to see less variety on offer in town and on the hill.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Who goes beyond Avalanche for a bacon and egg roll? :oops:
No one now ;) . But I do also want to say Friday Flat also did a good b and e roll.

But yeah sometimes at lunch I don’t feel like the big meals they typically did, so would sometimes get a b and e roll. I’m sure plenty dropped by for a mid morning Brekky though.

Such an absolute shame

Reactions: sastrugi

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
No one now ;) . But I do also want to say Friday Flat also did a good b and e roll.

But yeah sometimes at lunch I don’t feel like the big meals they typically did, so would sometimes get a b and e roll. I’m sure plenty dropped by for a mid morning Brekky though.

Such an absolute shame
I blame the recent influx of Perisher skiers.
Obviously they had to dumb down the menu to accommodate them.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
While I can see your point one if my boys did a season as a kitchen whipping boy at Black Sallees. He had his own accom in Jindy and very quickly found himself with insecure work as the season slowed down because the staff who were in staff accom for them got priority. They got both bites of the cherry - staff at cheap rates,
are you saying they were paying staff below award rates? If not, how are they any different to any other hospitality venue ever?
plus most of the dollars paid back to them in rent for the accom.
so? The owners at one point had forked out for the accommodation - were you or your son expecting them to then provide that accommodation to their staff for free or at less than market rate rent? A big chunk of the dollars hospitality staff earn are going on rent no matter where choose to live - be that Thredbo, big cities or country towns
It was hard solid work
yet you previously said:
found himself with insecure work as the season slowed down
which is it?

KT deserve a whack for what they've decided to do with Black Sallees. Trying to blame lack of staff is such a cop out, when the previous owners successfully ran close to, if not a full menu, during just as trying staffing conditions last year.

KT has spent endless amounts of effort to promote themselves as a high end holiday destination, yet they're providing a piss poor attempt at the local takeaway shop for refueling

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Its pretty apparent what KT is doing there.
That is high margin food that can be easily prepared and allows quick turnover of tables.
A solution for a problem that didn't exist then
Its a pretty common menu that you'd see at somewhere like a brewery or pub.
Thats great for when you're sitting on your arse knocking a few cold ones back, but is it appropriate for when you are going to be spending the arvo engaging in a physically demanding activity like skiing/snowboarding?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass