Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2022

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Black Sallees was a good food option on the hill. Not now. My family walked in, looked at the menu, asked if this is the whole menu, was told it was and walked out.

To be fair I think we have to give Thredbo the benefit of the doubt this season. I know they are way down on staff and was told that they're operating with less than half the required chefs.
i think that their menu given their location is fairly comprehensive , They dont do chips and hot dogs , thats not what they are there for, limited seating and seat turns per day says they need meals that are more exxey to make the numbers work.

Reactions: Justthinkingdan

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Eagles Nest. It is the original top station of the Crackenback Chair. What you knew as the Bullwheel Restaurant (downstairs from Eagles Nest Restaurant) was where you skied off the chair inside the building and skied out a doorway on the left hand side out into the Basin.
I recall skiing out the other side also, so I think it had two doors?

I like VT, but I think it could be modernised, even extended, whilst retaining the look and heritage. I get sick of all the same developments we see these days, they all look like institutions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Black Sallees was a good food option on the hill. Not now. My family walked in, looked at the menu, asked if this is the whole menu, was told it was and walked out.

To be fair I think we have to give Thredbo the benefit of the doubt this season. I know they are way down on staff and was told that they're operating with less than half the required chefs.
I’m less sympathetic. Would the old operator who seemed to have many of the same staff return year in year out have had the same issues? I’m thinking “probably not”.

After desperately trying to acquire this site for many years, to serve this up after finally getting control is pretty crap. No one wanted thredbo running it in the first place other than thredbo.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
i think that their menu given their location is fairly comprehensive , They dont do chips and hot dogs , thats not what they are there for, limited seating and seat turns per day says they need meals that are more exxey to make the numbers work.
What!!!! are we talking about the same Black Sallees. Chips and hot dogs.

1657752433044.png

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
What is with no takeaway this year? No staff to serve tables and we are happy to eat at home but lots of places won’t do take away.

Had a great meal at Zac’s the rib burger is the bomb!

Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
Final wrap on our week of eating…Wednesday was take-away from Burger Bar, Ribs, burgers and chips all a hit…last night we hit the Bistro…I waited in line (with beer in hand and txting the family when to come) for about 20 min at 6pm ish so not too bad. Burgers were the best Nachos, Calamari and wings were all OK… The wings are very spicy.

Reactions: LMB, Sage O and jrr

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Bulls testicles.

Just saying.

And I’m also saying “no thanks”.

As commented to me recently, 20 people a day ask what it is, and no one orders it. Yep, they’re bull’s testicles.

Why not put a soup or goulash on the menu instead?…you know, something people actually want?

• Haha
Reactions: J_busworth

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Just back from a week at Thredbo. Ate at 10 different places across the week - 3 for Lunch and 7 for Dinner.

Normally Black Sallees would have been on the list of places I went to, as it was my lunch spot of choice. However with the severely reduced menu this year, I couldn't justify a visit and instead ended up off mountain at Central Road for Lunch instead on the days I would have previously been at Black Sallees. Very disappointing.

Lunch
Kareela
Across my group we ended up with three seperate bookings at Kareela, so across 8 days of skiing was lucky enough to end up there three times.

Kareela undoubtedly is home to the best food on the mountain Further up the thread I have posted some pics of the menu from this year. Despite the reduced menu, the food was still excellent. They are doing daily specials in addition to the menu, which on two occasions was a Lamb Shoulder and the third occasion was a Beef Brisket. Across my visits I had the Jagerschnitzel, Pork Knuckle and Lamb Shoulder special, all of which I enjoyed. Prices are what you expect.

Shayne is the manager this year. The service he and his team provided was excellent across all three visits. I actually think the overall service was better this year than under the previous manager who I personally found cold and impersonal, but the old manager definitely ran a tighter ship. We usually had to wait 10-15 minutes past our arrival time to be seated this year, on one occasion our booked table hadn't even been set up yet past our booking time.

Central Road 2625
Central Road 2625 became my groups new standard lunch spot this trip, replacing Black Sallees. We ate there 4 times for lunch across our 8 days on the mountain. Although it is a bit annoying having to come off the snow each day for lunch as opposed to eating on the mountain, with what Thredbo had on offer this season it seemed like the best option for proper food.

All of the dishes I tried were great. The Pork Belly was my favourite, excellent serving with a nice sauce and salad. I also had the Dumplings, Ramen and Chicken which were all fantastic as well. Service was always quick and friendly.

Highly recommend trying this place out for lunch if you don't mind coming off the hill. The breakfast menu also looked pretty good, but as I don't eat Breakfast (one of the reasons I want a proper meal for lunch) I can't comment on the quality.

Merritts Mountain House
Made the mistake of coming here for lunch once. Won't be making that mistake again. Overcrowded, overpriced, inedible food. Just don't bother unless you are desperate. Avalanche does better fries and burgers. Woolworths does better salads.

Dinner
Burger Bar
We didn't end up actually ordering any burgers here, but the food overall is pretty decent so the non burger options are quite nice. I had the ribs which I have enjoyed in previous seasons and they didn't disappoint.

The service was a bit slow and disjointed. Half my groups drinks were left on the bar for 10 minutes after the first lot got delivered and we had to ask about them twice before someone brought them over. One person ordered a salad with chicken that came out with no chicken.

The Denman
The Denman was excellent, as always. Instead of having a reduced menu it appears they have instead reduced the number of people that they seat inside the restaurant, which made for a nice change to some of the more reduced offerings available elsewhere.

We shared the prawns as an entree, which were absolutely delicious. I honestly could have had them as a main. I had the ragu pasta for mains, which was nice but very rich.

The service was top notch, and the ambiance was nice. Would recommend.

Bernitis
Bernitis was probably the most disappointing place we ate at for dinner across the week. As upstairs was closed we ate downstairs.

The food was ok, not great. I had the steak, which was very average for $50. My brother had the fried rice, which he said was highly disappointing and didn't finish. We waited over 45 minutes for dessert to come out, after they forgot to come and take our dessert orders.

Maybe it was a bad week, but with both the food and service being a bit off I wouldn't be rushing back.

Alfresco Pizzeria
Pizza is good, as usual. Got a large Margarita and a large Hawaiian to share between 3 people and we had leftovers.

They are very short staffed, so there is no dine in and there are long wait times. I had to wait an hour for pizza ordering right at 6, but I was warned of this so I went back to my apartment and came back around when it was ready. If you want something a bit quicker, best to go early.

The Pub
My rule with the pub is to show up before 5pm if you want to get a table and food quickly. We were there on Thursday night, and we were seated straight away at 4:55pm. Food came out within 20 minutes of ordering and we were out by 6pm. At that stage it was well over a half hour wait for a table.

The steak I had at the pub was better than the steak I had at Bernitis. Mum had the curry, which she really enjoyed. My brother thought the wings were too spicy. Overall not too bad, and definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be at times.

T-Bar
They had just started a new menu and new ordering system last week, but despite that T-Bar was running very smoothly.

We started off with the Calamari and Garlic Pizza, which were both delicious. For main my brother and I both had the Veal Scallopini which we thoroughly enjoyed. The servings were very generous, and good value for Thredbo.

The staff here were also great. Fast and efficient service, yet they were all so friendly. Highly recommend.

Candlelight
Saving the best for last, we managed to get a booking at Candlelight for our last night in Thredbo on Saturday. Initially they were showing as fully booked for our entire stay, but after emailing them they were able to fit us in at 5pm on the Saturday. Saturday is a great night at Candlelight, particularly if you can get a table by the window as there is a front row view for the flare run and fireworks at dusk.

The food here is also phenomenal. Started off with their lovely sourdough, which I could eat all day. For main I enjoyed the duck, and Mum loved the Salmon. We probably needed two serves of their house fries, they are just that good. For dessert we did the Chocolate Fondue, which was very generous. We got Marshmallows, Strawberries, Oranges, Kiwifruit, Banana and Grapes.

Just a note that if you want the Pork Knuckle, you needed to preorder. We got a message the morning of the booking letting us know that if we wanted it we needed to let them know by a certain time.

I cannot more highly recommend Candlelight. If you can get a booking it is a must try.
Thanks for your extensive review, much appreciated. I'm heading up Sunday and considering meal options seriously now.

Reactions: J_busworth

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Bulls testicles.

Just saying.

As commented to me recently, 20 people a day ask what it is, and no one orders it. Yep, they’re bull’s testicles.

Why not put a soup or goulash on the menu instead?…you know, something people actually want?
Sorry Buzzy, not clear which establishment you are referring to... ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
Bulls testicles.

Just saying.

If they included a Beef Goulash and a soup of the day, in lieu of the Bulls Testicles, it would definitely make Black Sallees a much more appealing place for Lunch. I would definitely go there for some goulash or pumpkin soup.

Personally I liked their old sandwiches. They used to make some nice handmade sandwiches on toasted turkish bread. That wouldn't be particularly difficult to add to the menu either.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What is with no takeaway this year? No staff to serve tables and we are happy to eat at home but lots of places won’t do take away.

Had a great meal at Zac’s the rib burger is the bomb!
just guessing
balancing dine in and takeaway can be difficult in a kitchen. with less staff this will be even tougher. the dine in people are spending more and you need to look after them but the takeaway people can be more impatient. some eateries have presumably decided that protecting the eat in diners is important enough to sacrifice the takeaways

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
just guessing
balancing dine in and takeaway can be difficult in a kitchen. with less staff this will be even tougher. the dine in people are spending more and you need to look after them but the takeaway people can be more impatient. some eateries have presumably decided that protecting the eat in diners is important enough to sacrifice the takeaways
Smart kitchens wouldn't be running 2 menus, they'd be running one menu and the food either goes on plates or goes in takeaway packaging for pickup. Smart kitchens would have understood that we're still in a pandemic and following the upheaval of the past 2 seasons, would have ordered takeaway packaging to be on hand for when they're short staffed and need to close the dining room.

So, for instance, when alfresco doesn't have enough staff to open the restaurant, they can still run takeaway and then reopen the restaurant when better staffed. The model works well. All restaurants could be operating under this system if they'd planned their winters properly.

We're all doing things differently than we used to, there's no excuse for restaurants not to be keeping up the pace as well. Because by sacrificing the takeaways, they're losing way more of their trade than they should be.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Smart kitchens wouldn't be running 2 menus, they'd be running one menu and the food either goes on plates or goes in takeaway packaging for pickup. Smart kitchens would have understood that we're still in a pandemic and following the upheaval of the past 2 seasons, would have ordered takeaway packaging to be on hand for when they're short staffed and need to close the dining room.

So, for instance, when alfresco doesn't have enough staff to open the restaurant, they can still run takeaway and then reopen the restaurant when better staffed. The model works well. All restaurants could be operating under this system if they'd planned their winters properly.

We're all doing things differently than we used to, there's no excuse for restaurants not to be keeping up the pace as well. Because by sacrificing the takeaways, they're losing way more of their trade than they should be.
I worked in a kitchen that did both, albeit not in covid times. There were overlaps between takeaway and eat-in but largely catering for different audiences. A different owner might have made it easier to deal with. It was a nightmare having the main service workflow interrupted for sudden takeaway demands and then getting yelled at because a table had been waiting too long.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
i didn't actually say gulasch mit spätzle was upmarket, just taht slopping some gulaschsuppe into a bowl isn't

You may have missed the second part of the comment.

We had dinner with @DidSurfNowSki @Kletterer @dawooduck and @LisaQ the other night in Thredbo, my daughter made käsespätzle and Kletterer made Gulasch, the following night I turned the left over gulasch into more of a soup, added extra verges and Spätzle

Ours was good, but I agree adding spätzle to a soup doesn’t make it good.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010

This is exactly what I was expecting, in covid business obviously adapted to changing conditions, it’s seems they haven’t adapted to changing staffing.

If there is simply only enough staff to serve dine in, I kind of get it but still not all dine in Customers spend more than take away.

I think their is a market in Thredbo for good take away food

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
This is exactly what I was expecting, in covid business obviously adapted to changing conditions, it’s seems they haven’t adapted to changing staffing.

If there is simply only enough staff to serve dine in, I kind of get it but still not all dine in Customers spend more than take away.

grog is more profitable than food. takeaway rarely includes grog.

the economics of the industry may have changed but that was a thing when I was involved. many restaurants would not have been viable without grog sales

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
grog is more profitable than food. takeaway rarely includes grog.

the economics of the industry may have changed but that was a thing when I was involved. many restaurants would not have been viable without grog sales

Not everyone drinks all the time.

I understand the economics on grog sales but equally table numbers effect profits just as much; if you only have 20 tables you can only serve 20 groups.

Add takeaway and you can still get grog sales, smart operators will hint or ask do you need space to have a drink whilst you wait?

Also remove dine in and you don’t pay for dish pigs etc so you save on costs.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

you were dismayed that so few places were offering takeaway. I offered an explanation of why this may be so. I was not agreeing with each business's own decision.

there can be other considerations too, eg staff morale and retention may be better with dine in

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using