Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2022

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
He does a great version of lighting crashes as well :) but it doesn’t come out often.

I steer away from Kareela like @Annabuzzy says it’s a chardy shack at times and the wanna be canberra mafia just isn’t my scene.
Unsure what the Canberra mafia is because most of the customers I see there are definitely from Sydney. I do not go there very often but enjoy it when I go.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Who are the Canberra mafia?

Haha not sure if I or @telecrag would be better to answer this one!

Canberra high society would be the best way to describe it. Kareela is a known hangout for those people from Canberra that want to be seen at Thredbo.

That’s not to say that everyone from Canberra who stops in at Kareela want to be seen, I have friends who stop in their all the time but there is an element that want others to see them there.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Haha not sure if I or @telecrag would be better to answer this one!

Canberra high society would be the best way to describe it. Kareela is a known hangout for those people from Canberra that want to be seen at Thredbo.

That’s not to say that everyone from Canberra who stops in at Kareela want to be seen, I have friends who stop in their all the time but there is an element that want others to see them there.
Do your friends wear disguises?

linked recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
We tend to want to see rather than be seen, and there's always so much to see at Kareela.

Plus, you just never know who you'll bump into. Skiing's all about the people when you think about it.

Reactions: Ozgirl

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
want to be seen at
seen by who, and why?

EDIT: I see people there all the time when I go past. I don't know who they are or even care, but I have seen them. I guess they must be happy about that.

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
Canberra high society.
Having lived in Canberra for over 30 years I want to meet these people. Do they go to the opera when it is in town? Are they members of the Commonwealth Club or Royal Canberra Golf Club? The medical or legal profession? Boring senior public servants? ANU academics? As an unadulterated social climber I need to know.

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Reduced menu at Kareela on Sunday. Tried the veal goulash for the first time which was tasty and very filling. Had another Schnitty which was good. Hopefully they have the full menu this coming weekend as I’m keen to try some more of the share plate offerings. Service was great even though it was super busy with the mega influx of people.

Also had a steak sandwich at black sallees which was really nice but I forgot to take a pic of it.
DEEC624C-30EA-4AAC-A9FC-C8F5B0204986.jpeg
284B65C0-E7CE-45F9-8D3C-3674D86D549A.jpeg

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Went to burger bar again for lunch on Sunday.

Unreal, this is by far my favourite place for food on the mountain. For some reason lunch is always empty too.

Oh, I saw people at kareela again.
The burger bar is so good, and it's not unreasonably expensive. It's not much more costly than the bistro. The guy who owns the burger bar also owns the donut kiosk at FF. You can see him working at the burger bar with his wife most nights

Reactions: skull

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
The burger bar is so good, and it's not unreasonably expensive. It's not much more costly than the bistro. The guy who owns the burger bar also owns the donut kiosk at FF. You can see him working at the burger bar with his wife most nights

Must be why I’m a huge fan of the donuts too.

The vanilla bean panna cotta at the BB is mouthwatering delicious too.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Has Geraldine sold the FF donut kiosk?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Lamb shoulder at you know where. Presentation not the best but tasty. Bit more of an Aussie Christmas Day salad type platter now that it comes with quinoa rather than baked veggies. Tasty but I think I prefer the previous version.
BA105F09-E61D-402E-A225-E52AB960811E.jpeg

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Went to Ullr for the first time last night this season. Whilst I love what they have done in the bar as it’s much more inviting, the restaurant isn’t close to what it was.

They have cut a lot of options out of the menu and the food doesn’t have the same fresh flavours it did before. The also really cut back on the portions by at least a third.

For me Ullr was always a great option for a cheap and cheerful dinner with kids and I think it has lost this crowd but the food is t good enough for what they are charging.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Went to Ullr for the first time last night this season. Whilst I love what they have done in the bar as it’s much more inviting, the restaurant isn’t close to what it was.

They have cut a lot of options out of the menu and the food doesn’t have the same fresh flavours it did before. The also really cut back on the portions by at least a third.

For me Ullr was always a great option for a cheap and cheerful dinner with kids and I think it has lost this crowd but the food is t good enough for what they are charging.
Such a shame, I loved it the past two years. Admittedly didn't get there at all this year. Went for a drink after dinner one night and the music was enough to turn us away at the door. I think they were trialling a DJ that night, there was a huge fight, by the time we got there the place was empty and it was not a great experience to want to return to.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Such a shame, I loved it the past two years. Admittedly didn't get there at all this year. Went for a drink after dinner one night and the music was enough to turn us away at the door. I think they were trialling a DJ that night, there was a huge fight, by the time we got there the place was empty and it was not a great experience to want to return to.

That isn’t a great experience.

The new bar is awesome and certainly a great space, but I have seen so many places in Thredbo get the food / value mix wrong and go backwards and I’d hate to see Ullr head that way. I get it is going to cost more but don’t take the piss. I seem to remember a post on social media looking for a chef mid season, and maybe this is part of the issue.

Reactions: sastrugi

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
That isn’t a great experience.

The new bar is awesome and certainly a great space, but I have seen so many places in Thredbo get the food / value mix wrong and go backwards and I’d hate to see Ullr head that way. I get it is going to cost more but don’t take the piss. I seem to remember a post on social media looking for a chef mid season, and maybe this is part of the issue.
I've always loved Ullr, ever since I was a little kid.
I agree, you expect to pay more but it's not fair to take the piss. And people notice.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Bump!

Can I bump? It says 2019, do we need to start a 2020 COVID thread...? With all this food chat in the trip report thread I'm already thinking about where I will eat on my trip - will they be open, will we be able to get a table, will there be anything new....?

Reactions: skull and Sage O

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
This year we chose to eat in with the exception of the Burger Bar (even that was takeaway). Friendly staff taking the order and whilst waiting having a beer at the bar. Everyone in the group loved the Chicken Burgers and the Firecracker beef burger was definitely spicy.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Hi team, we're heading off in 10 days and getting excited now... I'm even making an effort to get fit again ;)

For those of you who have been in the Village so far this season, what's good to book for dinner? Last year we had good meals at Ullr, Burger Bar and Black Bear. It's been many years since I've been to Segreto, T-bar, Alpenhorn and I don't think I've ever been to the Brazilian BBQ place. Denman is a bit out of our price range this season but I'd like it to be included in the conversation if you've been there.

Do any restaurants have anything interesting on the menu or are they all pretty same-y (excluding the Mexican at Ullr and Thai at Alpenhorn)?

Discuss :)
Just updated the thread title and bumping so we can continue the conversation for the upcoming summer and next winter.

Has Central Road sold yet?

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Do not think so. Paul has been open for coffee and toasties this week. Fingers crossed that he will have his full menu soon. Black Bear is already missed.

Reactions: sastrugi and easty

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I saw pics of the BB demolition on insta, quite confronting really. It's been there all of my life and most of all our lives. Did Stav & Sandy move to Canberra in the end? Desperately hoping the rebuild is nowhere near as awful as Belevarde up the hill. Can't believe they put their name to that.

I guess the BB site still has a liquor licence so it will be interesting to see what goes in there.

Such a shame about Central Road for sale, they had a great thing going but nothing lasts forever. I'm still drooling over the memory of Paul's Nasi Goreng this winter just gone...

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I saw pics of the BB demolition on insta, quite confronting really. It's been there all of my life and most of all our lives. Did Stav & Sandy move to Canberra in the end? Desperately hoping the rebuild is nowhere near as awful as Belevarde up the hill. Can't believe they put their name to that.

I guess the BB site still has a liquor licence so it will be interesting to see what goes in there.

Such a shame about Central Road for sale, they had a great thing going but nothing lasts forever. I'm still drooling over the memory of Paul's Nasi Goreng this winter just gone...
Some people may disagree but there was a charm to the older buildings in Thredbo. Some thought it was kitch with the faux European design but the reality is, that is the history of Thredbo alpine village and for that matter most Australian Alpine villages. I for one loved that connection and thought it was done well because it was genuine and true to the heritage of the original builders.

The new stuff going in now looks shite with no soul. The streetscape for Belevarde is a car park and utilities cupboard, FFS.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Just discovered that Black Bear has been bulldozed and am a bit devastated we won't get to eat there in that charming old dining room again.

So, next question - I'm going to book somewhere for dinner in July and am tossing up between:
  1. Mad Mexican at Ullr - have never tried this place
  2. Zack's Grill at Bernti's - been there a couple of times, had a couple of hiccups last time
  3. TBar - been many times
Help me decide please.

Adam_P

Hard Yards
Jun 22, 2018
Just discovered that Black Bear has been bulldozed and am a bit devastated we won't get to eat there in that charming old dining room again.

So, next question - I'm going to book somewhere for dinner in July and am tossing up between:
  1. Mad Mexican at Ullr - have never tried this place
  2. Zack's Grill at Bernti's - been there a couple of times, had a couple of hiccups last time
  3. TBar - been many times
Help me decide please.
Very different feel at 1 & 3 to Black Bear. We had the same question and will probably go with Candlelight or Berntis as our Black Bear replacement (as well as our usual haunts like Burger Bar).

Unrelated I went to Cascades once a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price (it is all relative!!). Anyone have any more recent experiences?

Reactions: Lifes2good

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Very different feel at 1 & 3 to Black Bear. We had the same question and will probably go with Candlelight or Berntis as our Black Bear replacement (as well as our usual haunts like Burger Bar).

Unrelated I went to Cascades once a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price (it is all relative!!). Anyone have any more recent experiences?
You get in a routine. Our core routine has been candlelight, cascades and Pizza. “Off piste” would involve Berntis every second year. T-Bar was once a favourite but I haven’t been in years. Also sante, occasionally.

I havent been to Crackenback Farm in a few years, but totally rate it.

I’ve never been to Segretos and nor the Denman. I probably should!

I just never did rate Black Bear although ended up going there once every couple of years with friends, because there’s always a friend who rated it, and “had” to go there. I just felt it’s glory days were when Austrians used to actually instruct at Thredbo and the power of attraction of a triple schnitty wasn’t strong. Weak, actually.

Similarly don’t rate the burger bar. Sorry, I actually like a good burger!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Black bear will be interesting, after the demo I realised how close to the bakery it is, and with a good plan the village could access the lower levels easily. But I’m not a fan of losing the old buildings.

Like @Annabuzzy Blackbear didn’t have the same pull for me food wise, but I did enjoy the schnapps collection.

Zac’s is our easy go to, it’s close for us. We had a really good rib burger there with @DidSurfNowSki and generally the food has improved over the past few years and the view is good. But I get the hit and miss part as it can feel cool (service wise).

Mad mex lost us a few years ago, I can deal with hit and miss as I accept in a ski town you rely on the people that turn up season to season but when the menu changed slightly and the food and service missed, we moved on.

Burger bar is too far for us, and the food doesn’t warrant the walk, it’s ok

We had one meal at the tBar last year and the food was good and the service accommodating, we plan to go back.

The share plates at candlelight are still the best value good meal in the village, the leg of lamb was amazing and we could always get a meal cheaper than the burger bar.

Our other go to is Crackenback farm, they run meals up to the village a couple of nights a week and have a freezer full of good meals. We often stop for a pie on the way up to make night 1 easy

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Crackenback Farm also has the best wine collection (and the knowledge to go with it) around. You'd expect that from Len Evans' daughter :)

I'm looking forward to revisiting Tbar for the first time in years. Will probs do a meal at Candlelight. We usually throw in a Mex at Ullr too though the last visit was not as good as the previous couple. We ALWAYS have an Al Fresco pizza. Usually on the afternoon we arrive. And the other few nights we take it in turns to cook within our group at the lodge :)

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Crackenback Farm also has the best wine collection (and the knowledge to go with it) around. You'd expect that from Len Evans' daughter :)

I'm looking forward to revisiting Tbar for the first time in years. Will probs do a meal at Candlelight. We usually throw in a Mex at Ullr too though the last visit was not as good as the previous couple. We ALWAYS have an Al Fresco pizza. Usually on the afternoon we arrive. And the other few nights we take it in turns to cook within our group at the lodge :)
What’s the likelihood of getting a cab to Crackenback Farm from Thredbo and return? It’s always the wine and the drive which is the hurdle to going there for dinner

Reactions: Ozgirl
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass