Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
After reading the responses here my list is now:
  1. Bernti's (the restaurant not the bar)
  2. Candlelight. (Have had several good meals here).
  3. T-Bar (trying to avoid pizza)
No @Ozgirl I haven't been to Thredbo since 2019 - is TBar still ok? Better? Worse?

Reactions: Annabuzzy

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
knowing my 7 year old daughter's love of the Thredbo pub I don't think there will be many other places we will go too.

I might try and sneak a lunch in with the wife at Kareela and maybe get to the burger bar, but being creatures of habit we won't change much.

Maybe treat ourselves to a few B&E rolls for breakfast from the bakery occasionally.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Does everyone reckon we'll still need to book tables weeks in advance or might we be able to do it the week we're there?

BTW, don't forget Segreto. Most do, and it's lovely.
We will be a group of 11 so will need to book ahead. Segreto probably a bit too fancy for our lot.

Reactions: sastrugi

Sage O

Like the herb, Hutte dweller
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
knowing my 7 year old daughter's love of the Thredbo pub I don't think there will be many other places we will go too.

I might try and sneak a lunch in with the wife at Kareela and maybe get to the burger bar, but being creatures of habit we won't change much.

Maybe treat ourselves to a few B&E rolls for breakfast from the bakery occasionally.
The deluxe double B&E roll from avalanche was very good, recommended if you're a fan of a hash browns

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
After reading the responses here my list is now:
  1. Bernti's (the restaurant not the bar)
  2. Candlelight. (Have had several good meals here).
  3. T-Bar (trying to avoid pizza)
No @Ozgirl I haven't been to Thredbo since 2019 - is TBar still ok? Better? Worse?
If you're trying to avoid pizza, why are you going to Tbar?

Isn't it still a pizza place?

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Pisshead already!
I know right, she is an animal. Whenever we go away anywhere and mention where will we go for dinner she will throw out 'the pub'. Wife and I aren't even big pub goers or drinkers now either, so not my influence. Although could be hereditary, I loved the pub in my 20s and 30s.

Reactions: skifree and AWJ

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
New owners, dedicated hardworking guys, food we had there last season was excellent.
No idea what the menu entails this season.
Eons ago…early 90’s…it was probably the best mod Oz restaurant in Thredbo. Then the owner, an American guy by vague recollection, separated from his wife/partner, she took it over, it dropped in quality a touch, and in my opinion has never recovered it’s former glories.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Eons ago…early 90’s…it was probably the best mod Oz restaurant in Thredbo. Then the owner, an American guy by vague recollection, separated from his wife/partner, she took it over, it dropped in quality a touch, and in my opinion has never recovered it’s former glories.
Almost... a German owner and his wife had it. Split up. He and next girlfriend ran it. Split up. She took over and ran it, then left town when she got ill. She's fine now. Agree, it's never been quite the same, though I'm keen to try with the new owners.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
What’s the likelihood of getting a cab to Crackenback Farm from Thredbo and return? It’s always the wine and the drive which is the hurdle to going there for dinner

If you can’t get to crackenback or don’t have a driver, send message and you might find they deliver. Last few years they have delivered to Thredbo once a week.

I remember the early 2000’s it was still pretty good, great service and good value.

But in the 90’s I would have thought knickerbocker was the better restaurant, or at least it had the better wine list

Reactions: sastrugi

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
If you can’t get to crackenback or don’t have a driver, send message and you might find they deliver. Last few years they have delivered to Thredbo once a week.

I remember the early 2000’s it was still pretty good, great service and good value.

But in the 90’s I would have thought knickerbocker was the better restaurant, or at least it had the better wine list
I got engaged at knickerbocker but it was called something else then. Former Level 41 chef by recollection. That was in the early naughties. I think it became knickerbocker later.

But in the early 90’s period I don’t remember there being a restaurant at that riverside cabins site.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I got engaged at knickerbocker but it was called something else then. Former Level 41 chef by recollection. That was in the early naughties. I think it became knickerbocker later.

But in the early 90’s period I don’t remember there being a restaurant at that riverside cabins site.
I had a friend from Banc who worked there in the early Naughties.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.

Did you rename it in honour of your betrothal as the Knickerbonker?!

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
If you're trying to avoid pizza, why are you going to Tbar?

Isn't it still a pizza place?
In 2020 it was way more than a Pizza Bar from memory. I'm pretty sure I got a very nice Linguini Marinara although it would have been coupled with a bottle of Rose so the memory is a bit hazy... Certainly, daughter & I enjoyed the meal very much.
Was rather looking forward to enjoying it in 2021 too... still, those days are gone and it's party time now :cool:

Last edited:

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Received an email yesterday from Kareela Hutte confirming my lunch booking id requested about 2 months ago, but got an auto reply to at the time.

Looks like they’re starting to fill out the book for lunch sessions for the coming season. Doesn’t seem to be an online booking option atm.

Reactions: Lifes2good

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Received an email yesterday from Kareela Hutte confirming my lunch booking id requested about 2 months ago, but got an auto reply to at the time.

Looks like they’re starting to fill out the book for lunch sessions for the coming season. Doesn’t seem to be an online booking option atm.
Can I ask how you contacted them? Was it via FB or email or...?

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Inspired by this thread I’m looking to lock down some restaurant bookings for the season! Looking to lock in Crackenback Farm and Candlelight first. Then maybe Berntis and the Terrace (Denman) with a swing vote for Segreto.

Across one full 9 day week plus a number of weekends there’s a few opportunities!

Reactions: jrr and Sage O

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Inspired by this thread I’m looking to lock down some restaurant bookings for the season! Looking to lock in Crackenback Farm and Candlelight first. Then maybe Berntis and the Terrace (Denman) with a swing vote for Segreto.

Across one full 9 day week plus a number of weekends there’s a few opportunities!
We’re locked in for candlelight too, hope they have the la potence back on the menu.
8B50F052-F1DB-4F02-86A4-A244A081A5D2.png

Will drop into the Farm hopefully too at some point.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Reactions: skull

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
It reminded me to book our motel in Cooma on the Thursday night for the end of July Bank Holiday long weekend... :eek:
Managed to get a place, all the normal ones I stay in were booked out. Had to get a 4 person room for the 2 of us... Ah well.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

It was still called "The Credo" in the early 2000s. Was run by Ron and Nonie Plewes. Became "Knickbocker" after that.

Had our wedding reception there when it was The Credo. Followed by more drinks at Piano Bar.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
It reminded me to book our motel in Cooma on the Thursday night for the end of July Bank Holiday long weekend... :eek:
Managed to get a place, all the normal ones I stay in were booked out. Had to get a 4 person room for the 2 of us... Ah well.
We will be there that weekend too - I found the same, everything was booked out. We were lucky to get a booking.

Reactions: jrr

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
I just sent an email to kareela@evt.com :)
Have done this too. Got a message back that says:
"
Hi,

Thank you for your email, we are pleased to welcome you back to Kareela Hutte this upcoming winter season. We have been busy in the kitchen working on a new fresh and indulgent menu for Thredbo’s premier ski-in ski-out a’ la carte restaurant.

We know that you are all very excited and eagerly waiting to make a reservation, our best advice to you is to keep your eyes on the website for any updates and when bookings become available.

We look forward to having you here this winter!

PROST! "

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Have done this too. Got a message back that says:
"
Hi,

Thank you for your email, we are pleased to welcome you back to Kareela Hutte this upcoming winter season. We have been busy in the kitchen working on a new fresh and indulgent menu for Thredbo’s premier ski-in ski-out a’ la carte restaurant.

We know that you are all very excited and eagerly waiting to make a reservation, our best advice to you is to keep your eyes on the website for any updates and when bookings become available.

We look forward to having you here this winter!

PROST! "
Yep that's what I got automatically first off, then yesterday I received a booking confirmation email come back from reservation@restaurant-information.com

Not sure if the latter is an auto-generated email from their booking system or not but you could try emailing that address too.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
christ on a bike reserving dinner tables for later in the year. I'm flat out working out what I'm doing this evening!
I’m a bit the same and will be cooking in most nights this season, or getting the kitchen wench to do it (that’d be PB), but I have booked one or two places during school holiday during the week my brother and sis in law are visiting.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass