Suggestion Restaurants in Thredbo Village 2022

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
It was still called "The Credo" in the early 2000s. Was run by Ron and Nonie Plewes. Became "Knickbocker" after that.

Had our wedding reception there when it was The Credo. Followed by more drinks at Piano Bar.
Did you stay at the Navy Lodge in those days? Those managers married at The Credo too. A memorable day (he died a few years ago, she was here staying with me last week).
Ron died last year after a long illness. Noni is devastasted, they were absolutely joined at the hip in love, but she's doing ok.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Did you stay at the Navy Lodge in those days? Those managers married at The Credo too. A memorable day (he died a few years ago, she was here staying with me last week).
Ron died last year after a long illness. Noni is devastasted, they were absolutely joined at the hip in love, but she's doing ok.
I stayed at the Navy Lodge the night before ( yeah a bit old school). We then stayed at Snowbound for a couple of days before heading on honeymoon. I, and a bunch of the guests, wore uniform, and the priest was a Navy Chaplain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Got a confirmation email from Candlelight though they moved the booking time by half an hour - have asked them to change that but they might be trying to squeeze two sittings in for the group booking table (we are 11 pax).

And got an email back from kareela saying to book online from 1 June.

Reactions: Sage O and Ozgirl

Sage O

Like the herb, Hutte dweller
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Have done this too. Got a message back that says:
"
Hi,

Thank you for your email, we are pleased to welcome you back to Kareela Hutte this upcoming winter season. We have been busy in the kitchen working on a new fresh and indulgent menu for Thredbo’s premier ski-in ski-out a’ la carte restaurant.

We know that you are all very excited and eagerly waiting to make a reservation, our best advice to you is to keep your eyes on the website for any updates and when bookings become available.

We look forward to having you here this winter!

PROST! "
Received another email re booking this morning which indicated bookings to open though the online booking platform from 1 June. Booking for over 10 people can be made via email :)

'Welcome back to Kareela Hutte for the 2022 Winter season! My name is Daniel (Dan) and I will be taking over from Wiki this winter as Kareela Manager. I have worked at Kareela for the last few seasons and I am excited to get to know you better this season!

Thank you for inquiring about Kareela we have received an overwhelming amount of inquiries regarding lunchtime reservations, due to this we have decided to take a slightly different approach to bookings this winter to better accommodate all of our guests. We will once again be using our online booking platform FORK via www.thefork.com.au/restaurant/kareela-hutte-r687999.

Online lunch reservations will open on Wednesday June 1st for all of Winter, we are aiming to open on Friday July 1st however as we all know this is snow dependant. All reservations MUST be booked via our online portal and online bookings will close the day prior, if there is no availability we urge you to ski by at your desired time of dining with your complete party and pop in, we will do everything we can to accommodate you!

The only exception to booking via the online portal is if you wish to make a large booking for 10+ guests, all of these bookings are to come through myself via this email address as you will be unable to do so via the online portal. To provide the best possible service for all guests we will be providing a set menu to all reservations of 10+ guests, I will provide information regarding this menu upon finalization of the menu to all who inquire.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to reach out via email and I will get back to as soon as possible.
I look forward to seeing you back at Kareela this winter!

Regards'

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Received another email re booking this morning which indicated bookings to open though the online booking platform from 1 June. Booking for over 10 people can be made via email :)

'Welcome back to Kareela Hutte for the 2022 Winter season! My name is Daniel (Dan) and I will be taking over from Wiki this winter as Kareela Manager. I have worked at Kareela for the last few seasons and I am excited to get to know you better this season!

Thank you for inquiring about Kareela we have received an overwhelming amount of inquiries regarding lunchtime reservations, due to this we have decided to take a slightly different approach to bookings this winter to better accommodate all of our guests. We will once again be using our online booking platform FORK via www.thefork.com.au/restaurant/kareela-hutte-r687999.

Online lunch reservations will open on Wednesday June 1st for all of Winter, we are aiming to open on Friday July 1st however as we all know this is snow dependant. All reservations MUST be booked via our online portal and online bookings will close the day prior, if there is no availability we urge you to ski by at your desired time of dining with your complete party and pop in, we will do everything we can to accommodate you!

The only exception to booking via the online portal is if you wish to make a large booking for 10+ guests, all of these bookings are to come through myself via this email address as you will be unable to do so via the online portal. To provide the best possible service for all guests we will be providing a set menu to all reservations of 10+ guests, I will provide information regarding this menu upon finalization of the menu to all who inquire.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to reach out via email and I will get back to as soon as possible.
I look forward to seeing you back at Kareela this winter!

Regards'
Same. And Candlelight adjusted the time for our booking.

Reactions: Sage O
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
I've got the two bookings that I wanted for Kareela Hutte in July. It seemed that most days had 11am (Breakfast), 11:30am, 1pm and 1:30pm bookings, you get the table for 90 minutes.
I booked the 1.30pm slot so we just have to stumble down the hill afterwards and pack it in for the day.

Reactions: sastrugi

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
@skull I'm sure it will be a blast skiing/boarding with your kids and enjoying a bucket of hot chips for lunch. How old are they?

We will have the older kid (16 y/o) and her bestie with us and the younger (11 y/o) is doing an afternoon lesson with his friend.

Reactions: Sage O

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
we will have the kids with us everyday now they aren't doing dev program. I am keen to book into Kareela but it would be wasted on the kids.
You could order one of the champagne fondue sets which would be novel enough to keep the youngsters entertained/feed whislt you and your partner enjoy a glass or two of vino ;)

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
They’re not old enough for champagne yet
1654082188220.png

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Eating out in Thredbo. I'm still pining over the House of Ullr moving away from cook your own steak.:cry:

We eat at home mostly and with kids, the big nights out have always been the same, Pizza or Cascades.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Eating out in Thredbo. I'm still pining over the House of Ullr moving away from cook your own steak.:cry:

We eat at home mostly and with kids, the big nights out have always been the same, Pizza or Cascades.
I just want to say you can cook your own steak at home you know lol ;)

But I did enjoy that from time to time. First place I ever stayed to go skiing was House of Ullr.

Reactions: DPS Driver

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I just want to say you can cook your own steak at home you know lol ;)

But I did enjoy that from time to time. First place I ever stayed to go skiing was House of Ullr.
@Annabuzzy I can cook most things I could buy in a Thredbo restaurant at home. I used to own my own restaurant, as did both my siblings and although I'm not a chef, have spent many hours in restaurant kitchens.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
You do understand you only increased your wait to receive your meals by 15 min?
the one that gets me is how few people realise the importance of ordering an entree at a busy sitting. most entrees are designed to be able to be served fairly quickly, and often in a separate figurative queue to the mains. instead they sit there waiting for ages for mains and complain about the service.

order an entree, even something small to share, so that you at least get something to eat before you get hangry.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
the one that gets me is how few people realise the importance of ordering an entree at a busy sitting. most entrees are designed to be able to be served fairly quickly, and often in a separate figurative queue to the mains. instead they sit there waiting for ages for mains and complain about the service.

order an entree, even something small to share, so that you at least get something to eat before you get hangry.
Also order a bottle of vino to share. By the time you’ve finished it you’ll be lightly buzzed, the mains will have just arrived and the presence of the waiter at the table presents a convenient time in the service to order a second*

*always drink responsibly

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Also order a bottle of vino to share. By the time you’ve finished it you’ll be lightly buzzed, the mains will have just arrived and the presence of the waiter at the table presents a convenient time in the service to order a second*

*always drink responsibly
A bottle of wine while waiting for a lunch table at Kareela always goes down a treat too ;)

Reactions: AJS, jrr and Sage O

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Pfft, the first place I passed out was the Black Bear after Kurt included underage me with my dad in the after service test tube schnapps.
Haha which reminds me of that test tube bar in Martin place where women clad as nurses would deliver your test tube drink with some faux intimacy. Lol I remember being convinced a beautiful Canadian girl working there had a connection with me, and we had a bright future together!

• Haha
Reactions: sastrugi and jrr

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Haha which reminds me of that test tube bar in Martin place where women clad as nurses would deliver your test tube drink with some faux intimacy.
Wasn't that the place that became MPB which itself is sadly, now closed? Anyway, thank goodness I passed on going there... rather than passed out :D

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Wasn't that the place that became MPB which itself is sadly, now closed? Anyway, thank goodness I passed on going there... rather than passed out :D
I didn’t know MPB had closed but no, a different venue. The test tube bar was an underground jobbie opposite the GPO.

Reactions: jrr

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
Does anywhere on mountain take dine and discover vouchers?
Think we still have 4 dine left and 5 discover vouchers.

db2567

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2018
I think burger bar. But you can search by postcode.

Pretty sure only the cinema in Jindy is the discover voucher,
I've booked whale watching next week. The next week I will be at thredbo and can watch the big "whales" at the bottom of the hills blasting out snow.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Looks like Black Sallees is now owned/run by Thredbo.
I was wondering when/if that was going to happen. I know they were in a legal battle with someone else for it, interesting to know it's done now. Makes sense they'd take it given it was the last non-KT place on the mountain and likely to be the next big summer restaurant once Snowgums is replaced

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
A shout out for how bad Sante is this year. Awful really. Terrible service, like worst I’ve ever seen in Thredbo. I could possibly live with that if the food was ok, chalking it up to first night jitters. But the food was terrible too.

Avoid. Avoid avoid avoid!!

• Sad

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Oh no! They used to be good. Darling daughter and I were planning on going there. This is very bad news buzzy :(
I’d say give them another go, as for pretty much all the staff it was their first night. They hadn’t even done a practice opening - totally bizarre. I’d say that if the food was good, or even passable. But it was bad. It would be bad coming out of the kitchen of the local RSL. It’s particularly bad if they’re charging $50 or $70 for stodge. And while no doubt the service will improve, it’s hard to see the food improving if they use the same kitchen staff.

I’d strongly urge trying somewhere else.

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Well I just got this update from lucky bastard son #2 who just happened to have dinner there this evening. Said they loved it ... Hmmm
IMG-20220612-WA0001.jpg

They just said the Churrasco place. That's Sante isn't it?

Reactions: Alleve

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Well I just got this update from lucky bastard son #2 who just happened to have dinner there this evening. Said they loved it ... Hmmm
IMG-20220612-WA0001.jpg

They just said the Churrasco place. That's Sante isn't it?
Surprised they improved in 24 hours as it was a clusterfuck last night, as they acknowledged. But people can have different views!

Reactions: NewTurns and jrr

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Surprised they improved in 24 hours as it was a clusterfuck last night, as they acknowledged. But people can have different views!
OK - I got a more nuanced review today ;)

Now it's: -

"It was alright. Used to be a lot better with the all you can eat deal. The GF asked for a medium rare eye fillet ($72) and it was pretty much raw (keeping in mind that LBS#2 likes his steak well done so...) but she still liked it.
The Short Rib was great though."

Sooo, perhaps closer to your experience Buzzy than initially suggested!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using