Question Reusing old drill holes

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fenrir, Dec 4, 2018.

1. fenrir

fenrir Hard Yards

I have some skis where the alpine bindings have been removed. The advice from the shop was that it should be ok to remount the same model bindings if I use a little slow cure epoxy in the holes to hold them in place.
    What I neglected to ask was how much epoxy should I use? Are we talking filling the holes completely or just a smear around the outside where the threads are/were?

2. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Gold Bruce

I thought this was going to be a thread about long-term relationships.........

:out:

fenrir, DPS Driver and Snowy Joey like this.
  3. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Gold Bruce

PVA glue is fine. If you can get the screws right enough without stripping the holes your bindings won't come out. If you stop a hole insert a helicoil. If you're paranoid put a helicoil in each hole.

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Fill the holes completely. More is better than less.

5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

^^^ What he said.

And take your time to make sure the bubbles come out, I often use the end of a small cable tie to make sure the epoxy goes right down and the air comes out. Tough gig when the clock's ticking! I often prepare the epoxy in 2 batches, one for the toes, one for the heels.

Other thing is when you're reusing holes is to do all the screwing by hand. Don't let a driver drill near it unless you mount hundreds of skis per year and have a intimate knowledge of the feel of the torque of the drill. Like me. But then still do it by hand.

fenrir likes this.
  6. fenrir

fenrir Hard Yards

Is that likely to lead to the epoxy coming out the hole and bonding the binding to the topsheet? Is that going to make removing and re-using the binding later difficult if not impossible?

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

With the epoxy you're risking that regardless - @Team Weasel and I broke 3 torx bits trying to back out some epoxied screws. He even bought a soldering iron to heat everything up to no avail.

fenrir and Team Weasel like this.
  8. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Yep, epoxy is the final solution in ski repair and binding attachment. I love using it. I did end up removing the above screws (took drilling out the screws, multigrips and brute force and ignorance).

Consider inserts if you want ski and binding to survive a future separation.

fenrir likes this.
  9. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Gold Bruce

I'm not experienced with fixing bindings but have had a lot of successful experience with refixing similar materials. Fill the hole with epoxy and as carveman said, ensure there are no air bubbles, then wait till the epoxy is nearly set and drill an undersized pilot hole into the epoxy. I then use a sheet metal screw to fix items in place but before hand I coat the screw thread with a light oil and wipe. This allows the epoxy to form a tight shape around the screw but not actually adhere to the screw making it possible to unscrew at a later time.

fenrir and Charlie like this.
  10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Gold Bruce

Why I don't use epoxy.

11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I use a one part epoxy on bindings and a two part on delams. Tarzans grip and Gorilla grip work well and stay flexible. Also easy to remove. As CM said fill the holes to the top and ensure air bubbles are removed. there's a technique for squeezing in the glue, hold the bottle slightly on it's side and leave a small gap on one edge of the hole for the air to escape. Not foolproof but works quite well. If you hold the nozzle flush over the hole there is nowhere for the air in the hole to escape and you'll end up with more air bubbles.

I've had no issue removing bindings set with one part epoxy. Done hundreds of them, aka DPS carbon fibre etc etc. Some will leak out of the hole and underneath your binding but this will be insignificant and not adhere the binding to the topsheet. To remove, use the soldering iron, heat the screw and bingo. Epoxy also ensures there is a bond between all components of the ski not just the wood core. which is particularly relevant when remounting in the same holes.