Revelstoke 2 Weeks Feb 2022

Mufts

Potato
Ski Pass
Oct 27, 2004
So if the world doesn’t shart itself again, planing on two weeks in Revelstoke Feb 2022.

1. Recommendations on where to stay (self contained, at minimum a stove top)
2. Best way to get there? Fly into where?
3. Hire car? Is there enough around that a car would be handy for adventures?
4. Side trips in area? Cat/Heli?

Can someone help me out so I have a starting point to then Google.

Reactions: climberman

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Fly into Kamloops, Kelowna or Calgary. Kamloops and Kelowna are closer but Calgary a much bigger centre than Kamloops with heaps more flights, but the road from Calgary goes through dodgier terrain. Everything is on Hwy 1, so is looked after as well as anything else in Canada in winter. Greyhound has shut down in western Canada, so unless you can find a shuttle a car is the best (only?) way to go.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We stayed at the Sutton, lovely room and ski in/out, parking underneath out of the snow. Me personally I'd have a car so you can venture out. If staying on the hill there is not much there really and the town is really cool. There is a shuttle bus that goes between town and the resort all day for a few bucks I think so you can get around.

Do you want to stay on hill or in town ? It's not that far.

Mufts

Potato
Ski Pass
Oct 27, 2004
You tell me. I would rather stay in town, even for only two weeks it would be nice to get a feel for the place, be in town check out bars, best breakfast etc

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Powder Inn is one of those old school timber siding motels. Good food, old school pub bar, music, indoor pool, carpark full of sled rigs and family groups in plaid.

Its the kind of place people who ski Sun Peaks avoid :D

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Stay in town is where it's at for dining and pubs. Just walking around at night is lively, more so than mostly quiet western Canada base towns - only Rossland comes close.

Hard to say re car/no car, it comes down to personal choice. A car means you go to the hill and come home whenever you like, and there's the option of a sightseeing day or two. 45 minute drive to Rogers Pass summit, one of the most spectacular highway passes you'll ever drive - but can be downright hellish on the wrong day. Or head south from Revy to Nakusp, which involves a ferry crossing of Arrow Lake. Again spectacular scenery with wilderness peaks all around - and it's free! Short drive to Revelstoke Dam which has an excellent tour with lots of info about the US-Canada Columbia River Treaty. Or a longer drive upstream to Mica Dam, more mountain scenery again.

If you decide no car, Kelowna is really the only flight option and there are lots. Well, there used to be. Anyone's guess what it will be like in 11 months from now. Calgary is still a one hour hop from YVR and then you have a 5-6 hour drive to Revy. From Kelowna the drive is generally easy, Eagle Pass just west of Revy is relatively low elevation and gentle grades, but it is overlooked by a lot of avalanche terrain so it closes fairly often for control work. There is an alternate route south via Nakusp as mentioned earlier, it connects back to the Okanagan with a second ferry and the rather goat trackish Monashee Pass on Hwy 6 to Vernon. Excellent drive on a good day but will be slow going if the Trans Canada is closed because it's not made to handle the volume.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The drive from Calgary is lovely but can be quite snowy. Easy enough day drive on a clear day but not so easy on a big snow day and can have hold ups over the passes. Snow n slush prevalent in.my experiences.

Car is a good idea.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
we stayed at this place in Revelstoke.

Very tasty, upmarket, superclean and only a 10 minute drive from the mountain

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/207...1616820158_yYV3UUaJ8DfLo8yF&guests=1&adults=1

If you tly into Kelowna, the drive is faily benign and just over 2 hours

for car hire try www.economycarrentals.com or www.airportrentals.com
We stayed in the same complex as Gareth has linked here.
Near ski resort and 5 mins by car into town.
Personally I would try and stay right in town as its really pretty with cool shops, restaurants and a pretty chill vibe.

Might be a bit stranded without a car imo.

LDJ

One of Us
Apr 23, 2017
Definitely drive to Kicking Horse (KH) for a day if the Rogers pass is open. It’s about 1.45-2hrs there but scenery on the way is amazing and awesome resort. If you are flying back out of Calgary could easily stop at KH or Lake Louise for a day ski on way out from Revelstoke.

Reactions: Mufts and Roymond
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass