Revelstoke 2022 - Solo

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
So I pulled the trigger on Qantas flights to Canada depart 31/1 return 17/2, points+pay too enticing...
Thinking of skiing Revelstoke 10 days, without car at this stage.

How good/bad is the resort shuttle ? Do they cram people in like sardines ? (myoko bus style)

Any budget friendly nice accommodation recommendations?
(a lot of places look orientated towards a car-park motel)

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
The resort shuttle is pretty good and runs constantly at the start and end of the day. More infrequent during the day. From what I have seen....no they don't cram them in. Can't help with accom off the hill though sorry. :)

Reactions: bluess57

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We stayed at Ramada for 2 nights. Was new and neat and relatively cheap, but on the edge of town and may not be ideal if you dont have transport

Scrap

One of Us
Apr 10, 2002
south east australia
Poppi's is rad if you're own your own. Private bedrooms but shared everything else. Meet other people to hang with if you want to but plenty of space if you don't.

She's a bit of a character but in a good way. You won't see her much.

Kind of lodge or pension style if you want something different to a hotel but not a party backpacker hostel.

The bus is close by if you don't have a car.

Reactions: Belly

Scrap

One of Us
Apr 10, 2002
south east australia
Poppi's is on the ski hill side of downtown too. Good access to supermarkets and not near the Trans Canada highway so no highway noise but the train is close by.

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
Poppi's is on the ski hill side of downtown too. Good access to supermarkets and not near the Trans Canada highway so no highway noise but the train is close by.
I did see Poppi's, wasn't sure about shuttle access. Not after party hostel, I'm 54.
I'll fire off an enquiry

Scrap

One of Us
Apr 10, 2002
south east australia
I'm pretty sure the shuttle stops close by but I was driving. It's in town though so the closest stop won't be far. There were a few 50+ there on and off a couple of years ago so no problems there. There was a crew of about 4 x 50+ American blokes who were friendly and good to talk to at breakfast and watch a movie with. There are plenty of hotels around but Poppi's is good for something different.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Been years since I stayed at The Powder Springs Inn but, whilst simple motel style, the restaurant was good and the pub a hoot. Every day people kinda place, sledders, skiers, families. Central town location, one street parallel to Mackenzie Ave.

Reactions: sly_karma

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
I spent a week at Poppi's. Its an old building that's seen a hard life but warm and comfy. There were a few others staying while I was there but hardly saw them but it would be a good space to hang out if you got along well with other guests.
A bit of train noise at times but I was in a back room so wasn't a big deal.

Easy walk to pubs and restaurants, shops etc. I loved the city pool and walked there after dinner most evenings.

I had a car so didn't test the bus out but it looked like a well set up service.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
FWIW. You'll hear the railway pretty much anywhere in Revelstoke. Small town in deep valley, those 20,000 ton trains are pretty hard to miss.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowRabbit

WickedPowder

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2007
So I pulled the trigger on Qantas flights to Canada depart 31/1 return 17/2, points+pay too enticing...
Thinking of skiing Revelstoke 10 days, without car at this stage.

How good/bad is the resort shuttle ? Do they cram people in like sardines ? (myoko bus style)

Any budget friendly nice accommodation recommendations?
(a lot of places look orientated towards a car-park motel)
Hi Blue,

I moved to Revelstoke from Sydney 4 years ago. If you like skiing and have a good set of fat skis (buy or hire if you don't) then their is no better place to go that Revelstoke. Until we moved, my wife and I would do one month driving and skiing everywhere in BC and Alberta each years. The first year was 2005 and we only missed one year in that time.

Revelstoke has the best all-round skiing. Big morning queues suck, but the slopes are so massive that once you are skiing you would never know. Of-course book first Tracks and ask for (older) Rob at the ski school and I will make sure you skip that queue.

The shuttle is good, however get their early before the listed time or you may need to get the next one. They are very regular doing laps after laps i think one arrives every 15 mins or something like that. The early part of Feb is a quiet time and if you look around you may get a deal in the resort itself. However the end of your trip is coming up to BC and Alberta weeks and you may want to book your accommodation very soon as everywhere will book up fast.

Revelstoke is not too inflated for accommodation (by Australian's standards) however its getting popular and busier every year and with the US border now open my place is starting to get a lot of enquiries, (I'm guessing its not in your price range but you can check it out by searching Begbie Views Retreat.). We are on the south side of the mountain about 10 mins from town and 5 from the resort so we don't hear any of the train noise.

We once stayed in the super 8 motel, was OK accommodation and they had a terrific deal including ski lifts and a packed lunch (kind of weird). Have a look into some of those options. Also make sure you buy your tickets (or seasons pass - do the math) in advance, if you book by 15th of November you will save 30 to 40%

Kicking horse, has the best terrain of any resort in Canada (IMO) but the snow quality isn't as good and even in a 3 weeks trip a powder day is not an assured thing.

Whistler has the 2nd best terrain, but the crowds and queues totally suck, worse than any other resort i have ever skied. The price is also high for everything you do.

Feel free to post where you are thinking of staying and i can give you the lay of the land here.

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
Hi Blue,

I moved to Revelstoke from Sydney 4 years ago. If you like skiing and have a good set of fat skis (buy or hire if you don't) then their is no better place to go that Revelstoke. Until we moved, my wife and I would do one month driving and skiing everywhere in BC and Alberta each years. The first year was 2005 and we only missed one year in that time.

Revelstoke has the best all-round skiing. Big morning queues suck, but the slopes are so massive that once you are skiing you would never know. Of-course book first Tracks and ask for (older) Rob at the ski school and I will make sure you skip that queue.

The shuttle is good, however get their early before the listed time or you may need to get the next one. They are very regular doing laps after laps i think one arrives every 15 mins or something like that. The early part of Feb is a quiet time and if you look around you may get a deal in the resort itself. However the end of your trip is coming up to BC and Alberta weeks and you may want to book your accommodation very soon as everywhere will book up fast.

Revelstoke is not too inflated for accommodation (by Australian's standards) however its getting popular and busier every year and with the US border now open my place is starting to get a lot of enquiries, (I'm guessing its not in your price range but you can check it out by searching Begbie Views Retreat.). We are on the south side of the mountain about 10 mins from town and 5 from the resort so we don't hear any of the train noise.

We once stayed in the super 8 motel, was OK accommodation and they had a terrific deal including ski lifts and a packed lunch (kind of weird). Have a look into some of those options. Also make sure you buy your tickets (or seasons pass - do the math) in advance, if you book by 15th of November you will save 30 to 40%

Kicking horse, has the best terrain of any resort in Canada (IMO) but the snow quality isn't as good and even in a 3 weeks trip a powder day is not an assured thing.

Whistler has the 2nd best terrain, but the crowds and queues totally suck, worse than any other resort i have ever skied. The price is also high for everything you do.

Feel free to post where you are thinking of staying and i can give you the lay of the land here.
Made a cancellation free booking at the Grizz Hotel
I'll be hiring a set of skis, additional baggage $$$ on YVR to YLW means its not worth carting skis.
Lift tickets,yep, I see early bird buy discounts so will buy in the next couple of days, didn't see season pass prices though.

Thanks for the tips, hmmm first tracks, hopefully my powder skills are up to that

WickedPowder

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2007
Made a cancellation free booking at the Grizz Hotel
I'll be hiring a set of skis, additional baggage $$$ on YVR to YLW means its not worth carting skis.
Lift tickets,yep, I see early bird buy discounts so will buy in the next couple of days, didn't see season pass prices though.

Thanks for the tips, hmmm first tracks, hopefully my powder skills are up to that
Time to get excited...it has been constantly raining for many days down here in the valley and the alpine and higher trees are already deep. We are forecast to get some snow in the valley over the next few days so I'm going to be getting my touring gear out and making some first turns very soon.

The good thing about the Grizz is that it is a fair way from the railway. The good and bad thing is it is next door to the Last Drop pub and could be both a little costly and noisy...….

Check out for early ski hire as well. Unlike many other resorts, costs for services on the hill are on par with those in town. So my advice would be to take an early hire deal with the resort, allowing you to change your skis if we have a very rare dry patch.

The timing you are coming for you will be certain to get many powder days, the resort is massive and while it has 75 named runs on the official map, their are probably another 100 named runs on the patrollers map. You can PM me on here and if the timings right I might be able to give you a quick tour of the resort in return for a beer or two.

Reactions: bluess57

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
Time to get excited...it has been constantly raining for many days down here in the valley and the alpine and higher trees are already deep. We are forecast to get some snow in the valley over the next few days so I'm going to be getting my touring gear out and making some first turns very soon.

The good thing about the Grizz is that it is a fair way from the railway. The good and bad thing is it is next door to the Last Drop pub and could be both a little costly and noisy...….

Check out for early ski hire as well. Unlike many other resorts, costs for services on the hill are on par with those in town. So my advice would be to take an early hire deal with the resort, allowing you to change your skis if we have a very rare dry patch.

The timing you are coming for you will be certain to get many powder days, the resort is massive and while it has 75 named runs on the official map, their are probably another 100 named runs on the patrollers map. You can PM me on here and if the timings right I might be able to give you a quick tour of the resort in return for a beer or two.
Made a ski reservation with powder rentals in town. Ski choices has me 2nd guessing.
I'd be more than happy to shout some beers , for a tour guide around the resort, I'll send a PM when in Canada

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass