1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Revelstoke Season 19/20

Discussion in 'Canada' started by April, Apr 21, 2019.

1. April

April Hard Yards

Hi Guys,

I plan to work a Winter Season in Canada (flights booked, visa obtained) and I think I have finally settled on Revelstoke....maybe

My question is in relation to work. What kind of work would you guys recommend trying to get or jobs to steer away from (Good work life balance is the goal)

Anybody got any 1st hand experience ? And would recommend a particular place of work?

Anybody ever worked for The Sutton Place Hotel?

Also open to any general tips or advice any of you lovely knowledgeable Powder hounds have for me

Thanks guys.

FNM likes this.
  2. FNM

FNM Early Days

My brother and I have decided on Revelstoke as our first preference as well, albeit aware that there could be some difficulty finding work and accommodation.

I’ve emailed the resort re work but haven’t heard back yet.

Have read that most non-locals are returning seasonal workers who will receive priority in employment. On top of that, I read that most typical tourist jobs (read hospitality) will go to locals, which is fair. My preference would be to work in town.

We’re aware that there is a chance of not finding work, so are open to several other mountains in the ‘area’.

I’ve also emailed a real estate with questions about renting. They weren’t able to answer my broad questions but said to fill out an application form as the first step.

It’s a tricky one - I’d love to find a place in advance, but it’d suck to then not find work!

I’ll keep you posted if there is any relevant communication with the resort.

3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Canada is currently experiencing the lowest unemployment since record keeping started over 50 years ago, and BC has the lowest unemployment in the country at just over 4%. Most towns are strewn with 'help wanted' and 'now hiring' signs in businesses, on noticeboards both online and actual, and on vehicles and other various forms of signage. Your chances of finding a job are very good. There have been some sawmill closures which would cause local unemployment in the relevant towns, but Revelstoke isn't one of these. Every ski hill in the province is relies heavily on people with working holiday visas from Australia, NZ and UK to fill the myriad frontline positions.

I'd look for something in food and beverage service, obviously the lunch and evening shifts are preferred so you can hit first lifts for the powder and still make it to work. This format is attractive to many people of course, not least because tips expand income potential and it can be quite lucrative if you're able to work smart as well as hard. I hate to say it, but looks still count for a lot for front line table service, experience being in demand as well.

FNM and Ozgirl like this.
  4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you choose Revie there’s a greater chance of working in the town rather than the resort itself.

If you want to work on snow there is likely to be fewer jobs so you might have to be more flexible

5. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

No point being there if you don't get to ski. Restaurant or bar work, preferably evenings is king! In town is fine as its just a short trip up to the hill

Reasonably priced - season long accommodation is more likely to be your issue in Revy than availability of work. Everybody is happy to grab fewer, but higher value AirBnB listings than renting out to ski bums for a season it seems these days. We were there last season and like Sly said - there were 'help wanted' signs up all over the place.

Revy rocks! You'll love it

6. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I've been told stay away from housekeeping as you get less time to ride.

sly_karma likes this.
  7. WickedPowder

WickedPowder Hard Yards

I moved to Reve in December 2017. There is no other place I would recommend to take a working holiday if its mountains are what you are looking for.

As mentioned by some above Reve (in winter) is unlike the most of Canada, there is a plethora of people looking for work, so my recommendation is to get there in September or October and find yourself work at that time before the masses arrive. If you want to work on the mountain there are also plenty of jobs and they are always looking for more, but shift hours are low and unless you choose housekeeping (or have your Level 2 or higher CSIA) then it is very unlikely you will earn enough to pay for rent and food, let alone afford a beer or two.

Reve is rated the 3rd most expensive city in Canada, behind Victoria and Vancouver. So if you want to enjoy yourself make sure you save and bring some extra cash.. for a season you will need to bring an extra 5 to 10K in my opinion.

If you are serious about skiing then there are only 2 resorts in Canada that you need to visit... They are Reve and Kicking Horse, unless you are chasing night life (then go to Whistler) then these 2 will give you the best powder and terrain you can find anywhere. So my advice if you are on a 2 yr working Visa is to plan to spend at least 1 season in Reve, and personally I would stay in Reve or spend the 2nd in golden (for Kicking Horse).

Hope that helps and good luck with you choice.

FNM likes this.
  8. FNM

FNM Early Days

Thanks for the information. We’ve been focused on Revelstoke but starting to consider Fernie due to the costs, jobs and accommodation. Have you had experience with Fernie?

We are also interested in other activities - hiking, wilderness backpacking, cycling, mountain-biking, x-country skiing, mountaineering, ... I feel like Revelstoke offers more in this regard as well, but I don’t know.. can you shed any light on that?

We’re arriving in Canada October 16, so it’s getting close now. We have savings around the mark you mention, but ideally, I wouldn’t be using that. My heart is well and truly Revelstoke, my head is considering alternative options.

9. sly_karma

There are similarities between Fernie and Revy. Both places have the town close by, only 5 minutes from the resort itself. Both towns are regional centres with a hour or more to the nearest comparable or larger community. Revy is a somewhat bigger town (7000 vs Fernie at 5000) but their facilities are rough comparable.

Mountain stats you can look up, Revy has that massive vert but in reality it's rarely exploited since very few people ski lower than the gondola mid station. The exception to that is the ride home if you're in on snow lodging. Snow quality down low will be nothing like what it is in the alpine, big vert isn't a big plus in my book.

Fernie has a weird lift system, a good example of what you get if you add new lifts without properly planning their integration into the existing trails. Several of the lifts seem to go sideways and long rides for little vert is the reality. The bowl skiing is wonderful, but some long traverses are needed to get to much of it. The Elk Valley faces southwest, making it a funnel for the systems coming in from prevailing sector. Fernie takes advantage of that with average winter totals of 900-1000 cm, and it's usually the light powder that dreams are made of. But... it is at fairly low elevation (1000 m at the village, 2100 at the top), meaning it's more susceptible to the dreaded pineapple express systems which can drop unwelcome quantities of the dreaded r**n. Or wet glop which re-freezes when the seasonal temperatures return.

The zone in which most people actively ski at Revy is higher, capping out at 2225 m, and they get an average 1100 cm a season. So on paper the nod would go to Revy for more altitude and more snow. But the terrain is different. You don't get to a peak of any kind, that is almost 1000 ft higher and too exposed and too many cliffs for it to be lifted any time soon. You're on a ridge and to exploit most of the good terrain up top, a short hike is needed to cross the ridge and drop into bowl on the other side. Or fan out on the ridge as you descend into treeline below. Bowl skiing means you spread out wide along the rim of the bowl until you find a nice juicy line of your own and drop into that, gradually funneling in to meet the other lines as you approach the exit from the bowl. Revy mostly has the reverse of that, a handful of lines off the top in the chutes and gaps between cliffs and rocks, with lines diverging and multiplying as you go lower. I find the upper level lines track out and get threadbare pretty quickly, whereas bowl skiing means the best quality turns (the steep initial drops into the bowls) are on the least trafficked areas because you can spread out so much on the lip of the bowl.

For me, the best terrain mix is at Kicking Horse. Even more of the bowl skiing that makes Fernie so good, plus a better, more direct lift system. KH has four massive bowls that together offer 150+ distinct lines, plus some easy hikes to even more. True, it gets only 750 cm average, but the overall elevation is much higher at 2500 m summit; the altitude and aspect ensure good retention of natural snow.

10. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

@sly_karma
    Nice write up. Thanks.
    Sort of related so I’ll ask here.
    We’ve had great times skiing in Canada in the Easter school holidays. The top part of Whistler Blackcomb has offered great skiing for late in the year but it gets mushy from mid mountain onward later in the day. Similarly with Banff - we’ve loved the late March/early April skiing there too.
    Would you say the hills at Revelstoke, Kicking Horse and Panorama would also offer decent spring skiing too? Using WB as a benchmark.
    Thanks for your help should you be able to offer some.

11. sly_karma

Days are getting long by mid March so the snow quality degrades quickly after a dump, but otherwise there's lots to like about the interior resorts at that time of year. The snowpack usually peaks in the second half of March, so even 5 cm fresh is cream on the cake. And if course the weather is milder. You would think spring break would be very busy but most families are sick of the day to day of living in winter, and if they do go away it is to somewhere warm like Florida or mexico. The ski resorts are delightfully uncrowded.