1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

review falls creek and hotham

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by andy222009, Aug 18, 2009.

1. andy222009

andy222009 Hard Yards

i just spent a week in falls creek for the first time. i usually go to hotham but have been to a few others. my observations to anyone who might be tossing up between falls and hotham -

1. falls is muuuuuuuuuch better overall
    2. beginner/intermediate - muuuuuuch better. wide runs, lots of room. hotham - everything seems to end up in one gully. i mean everything. people, runs, rain, out of control skiers and boarders. i absolutely abhor it and will not miss it. won't go again.

3. advanced - i think there is a lot more stuff at hotham but there is a section of falls called the maze which was very challenging (too much for me in the conditons last week). i am not that good a skier so can't really authoritatively comment, although the consensus seems to be that falls isnt for advanced skiers.

(btw little tiger/currawong et al thanks for your advice re buying skis. i didnt bother and instead went for some private lessons with an older guy named don who was quite good. after all i thought i knew he said well forget all that and start carving turns. totally different but boy what a difference it became actually fun and in control going down ice...)

4. restaurants. falls is muuuuuuuch better. lots of variety. can be pricey but hey so is eating out in central melbourne/sydney. i was very happy with the prices they could well have been higher. and there is something for everyone - fancy and/or expensive, quality without being too expensive, there is a place for the hippy types, a number of rowdy bars, some down to earth places and a decent japanesey sort of place. atmosphere much much better than hotham which seems to have only rowdy bars and greasy spoons.

5. on mountain cafes. bit of a disappointment actually. lots of stuff youd expect at the suburban footy match. having said that there is a cafe called dicky knee which was pretty good. The main place called cloud 9 is like a huge high school canteen. It was the only place on the mountain where the staff did not smile. everywhere else they were good. and friendly. everyone on holiday...

6. atmosphere. much more laid back, people are friendlier. i reckon it has something to do with the fact that you are away from traffic and roads and such things. everyone is on holiday rather than just skiing. And the fact that there is a separation of the skiers and more gung ho boarders helps – see below.

7. boarders. nowhere near as many as hotham. that will mean different things to different people. a lot seem to go out to one section where ther are obstacles and jumps etc at which there is constant loud heavy music blaring. it is a different world. it seems to be quite popular. falls has got it right here, there isnt the constant niggling between skiers and boarders that seems to be everywhere else. result - boarders who want to can be as gungho as they like without annoying the skiers and the skiers can enjoy themselves without complaining about the boarders (or blaming the boarders for absolutely everything that goes wrong with their skiing). it is much better and more relaxing.

8. price. a bit more than hotham but not that much more. and worth it. i didnt mind one bit paying for oversnow. as soon as you get on it you are away from it all.

9. snow conditions. even in low snow conditions (away from the very patchy maze) there is enough to ski on. wide runs helps. hotham as soon as the snow softens is crap and like skiing through a frozen slushy thing from the 7.11

10. other things. there was a show on thursday which i gather is every week ? great fun. i could not believe how fast steven lee skied down the hill it was like he was in freefall. great.

11. "no vehicles". but there are quite a lot of snowmobiles buzzing around. they are crazy and go too fast around the village. it reminds me of the no petrol powered vehicle policy in some european resorts which have started to fill up with electric cars.

anyway thats my take on it for anyone choosing between them. Falls is the best victorian mountain imho.

2. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

meh ... Falls bores the crap out of me, but each to their own. It is almost certainly more fun for beginners / low intermediates.

3. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Why Trappers? You're a clever boy and have plenty of experience of both resorts, so justify that throw away statement.

Okay, Hotham has more black graded runs, but for blue runs and overall amenity, we both know that Falls Creek is far more appealing.

- Falls Creek has a good, compact town layout. You can comfortably walk almost anywhere. By contrast Hotham is strung out over 3 km of road and because the town isn't sheltered, it's exposed to the worst weather. Both these factors make getting around at night a real pain.

- Half the runs at Hotham seem to feed into Slalom Gully. It's a nightmare by any standards and it's nearly impossible to avoid.

- I will concede that both resorts tend to have pleasant, caring and well trained lifties.

4. rangerider

rangerider A Local

I'm with you trapps, though overall Falls has had the best condtions in Vic this season.

5. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Dunno Bogong, have skied their a few times over the last 10 years, and every time I have been bored senseless by the runs.

That is all no comment on the village as I havent stayed a night there in that time (why bother if I dont enjoy the skiing?).

Anyway that's just my opinion (just as the above is andy's). Give me Buller or Hotham (or even Thredbo) any day over Falls.

In MY personal opinion Buller midweek in a good snow year is the most enjoyable resort (skiing wise) in Australia.

6. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Falls is a bit like a big Baw Baw. I agree that the village set up at Falls is great but the terrain there is a little boring for my liking.

7. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Err Falls =/= Big Baw Baw. [​IMG]

#7 Stratus, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Hey, Hotham people.. He is wrong. You stay at Hotham knowing that you are at the better Victorian resort.
    Mean while I will suffer at Falls Creek.

hehe...

But seriously, next season I might fly over for the day to see what life is like on the other side of the fence.

9. rangerider

rangerider A Local

It's no good at all over there, you'd be much better off staying at Falls. [​IMG]

#9 rangerider, Aug 18, 2009
  10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

In good conditions, mid week, Hotham can be fantastic

but for skiing all season, Falls is it.

I like to go to Hotham for a few day trips each season, but this season has just not been worth the bother.

I got a good contrast of Falls and Buller when we went to SIC. Falls had excellent cover everywhere except the maze. 2 days later at Buller we were scratching to find something worth skiing. Snow quality was pretty poor. They had good cover on summit area, LBS, BHS, Skyline and Bourke St. Otherwise it was pretty scratchy. Southside was really the only good place we found (although I believe the people that followed Carveman around found fun in all sorts of places).

11. sno cowboy

sno cowboy First Runs

interesting. have been to both falls and buller this year, and spent many weeks at mount hotham over the past 5 years, and i liked falls. im not a super advanced skier, but there was a great selection of runs to choose from all over the mountain. i never waited in a lift line once and it was peak season (other than towers, but it was completely avoidable), it had a great cover of snow everywhere and there was something for everybody. At hotham, everything merges into slalom gully (affectionally called the "boneyard"by my previous instructor, because, if your gunna break a bone, it'll be there.) There always a lift line, exceptions at the orchard and blue ribbon, and there seems to be a much larger selection of resturants at falls. however, if your an advanced skier, nothing beats hotham for terrain, tree skiing, cat skiing and whatever else you could dream of. although, the terrain park at falls was awesome, and im a SKIER. Buller was a completely different story to the other two, and i think it will take a powder day and sunshine to change my mind there. I saw many idiots at buller, not to mention one half-brained spastic who skied straight down LBS, taking out my dad and multiple flags and chairs, ending up in somebodies hot chocolate and narrowly missing a group of 5 year olds.

overall, for a beginner skier, i would recommend falls to anybody. for the more advanced, you cant beat hotham. for crowds and idiots, go to buller.

12. Weets

Weets First Runs

Interesting post Andy! Glad you had a great time there. I have too in the past.

I've just come back a couple of days ago from a week in the Hotham area for the first time. I stayed at Dinner Plain and skied a few days at Hotham, after spending a week last year in Falls, and so I can see pros and cons for both. I guess it all depends on who is going and the skill level of the individual or group.

For me, a novice, the beginner/intermediate runs did seem to be alot easier at Falls than what I just skied at Hotham. I also loved the fact that children and adults could all do their ski lessons from the one area at Cloud 9, rather than the shuttling in between Big D and Hotham Central. I did the lift/lesson thing last year and if memory serves me correctly, on my first learn to ski lesson at Falls we used a magic carpet, skied down Wombats Ramble and were able to take the Quad Express back up to Cloud 9 all on our beginners lift ticket. Being able to take that same chairlift back DOWN the mountain if you were too tired to ski was also a great option, and the ride itself was great fun! I didn't see anything like this at Hotham however. My SIL just did the first beginners learn to ski class there with her $80 lift/lesson pass for one day and her entire first two hour lesson was just floor work. There was no basic lift utilised in the first lesson.... so the whole point and purpose of buying a "lift" pass seemed wasted as she didn't want to try a lift out on her own. She didn't continue the next day either.

That said, when it came to planning an extended family ski trip this year with four extra family members who had never skied before, along with my still keen but physically and mentally aging father, a Falls skier for the past 30 years, I had to put all previous preferences aside and see what offered the best for all levels concerned. One problem I noticed last year when I visitted Falls with Dad was his ability (or lack of!)to "walk" around the village in the snow. Skiing down a slope and catching a lift up wasn't a problem, but the walking around was. I didn't want a repeat of the strain this caused in a future trip.

The reason why I ended up choosing Hotham this year was because of Dinner Plain! A month prior to heading over there, I'd never even heard of the place! The fact that it was in the snow, was easy to walk and get around, and had a beginner's run in the area... while offering free bus trips up to nearby Hotham, and that it was basically half the price for accommodation there, than for equivalent lodgings in Falls, swung the choice in it's favour. The cafes and restaurants at Dinner Plain were nothing to complain about either. In fact, I got to love my afternoon coffee at Rundells, by the fire, playing chess with my brother!

Now... if Dinner Plain had been 15 minutes from Falls instead of Hotham, it would have been too-perfect a solution for our group! Lol!

The funny postscript to all this is that dear Dad, who once delighted in all the black diamond runs around Falls, said that his favourite bit of skiing this year was the beginners run at Dinner Plain!! (Go figure!)It was easy, wasn't crowded, too confusing, or too long and didn't stress him like the Summit Run at Hotham did.I guess every horse (or skier) has his day!

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet with Hotham (and Dinner Plain), which I noticed on the first day we arrived, was the quality of the snow compared to Falls. I had never experienced "powder" before, and there it was... all around. It felt so different to the snow I was familiar with at Falls. We only had it for the first two days but it was beautiful.. and I don't think Falls gets this.

Now.... if I was at Dinner Plain at this very moment, I think I'd be whistling a very different tune as the snow there has virtually gone and the run is closed until more snow falls. What a difference a week makes!!

13. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting thread. I spent a week at Falls last year in great conditions and a week in Hotham this year in pretty average conditions, so I'll be the first to admit that this might influence my thinking a bit. But like andy222009 I much preferred Falls and so did the +1 and the kids. We are all intermediates so would avoid the Hotham double blacks, not that they were skiable the week we were there because of white out conditions. Here's my take on Hotham, all IMO of course:

1) Slalom Gully is just awful. Almost all runs over that side seem to lead there, you can't avoid the place at some point during the day, and it is just dangerous IMO. So many people in such a narrow funnel, with so many bumps and so much slush (after 11am). Plenty of boarders and skiiers going far too fast, cutting through lessons and falling over everywhere.

2) The gully at the bottom of Orchard / Keoghs is also a very narrow funnel, and again unavoidable if you go over that side, although people over here seem to have a bit more of a clue.

3) I actually like the bars at Hotham (only went to the General, Swindlers and Zirkys) and Zirky's restaurant was very good. Pricey but not much dearer than what you'd pay in Sydney for an equivalent restaurant.

4) The bus was a PITA. I've already moaned about Davenport access being closed in another thread so won't do it again for fear of incurring the wrath of Trappers [​IMG] . Serve me right for staying in the cheap end of town. But you can't beat the village feeling and atmosphere at Falls, while Hotham just seems disjointed.

5) Where are on the on mountain restaurants? One crummy hut completely exposed to the weather doesn't cut it. Falls is much better for this. In fact every resort I've ever been to is better for this.

6) The whole lift infrastructure at Hotham seemed dated, with every chair lift running at a snails pace. They all reminded me of the Pretty Valley chair at Perisher. To be honest I can't remember what the chairs were like at Falls, but when you're enjoying the sunshine and the scenery the time goes quicker anyway.

7) The run grading at Hotham mystified me. There is no way Sun Run (from the Summit down to Road Runner) and say Sundowner or the lower half of Zirks (Orchard) are remotely similar runs but they are all graded Blue. Maybe Hotham need to introduce Red gradings like they do in Europe.

#13 IAB, Aug 18, 2009
  14. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

I have just spent 7 days at Falls and then 10 days at Hotham back to back, i am back at falls next week for another 7 days.
    This is just my opinion, but in 'This current season' with these 'current snow conditions' Falls is the better resort, i say this in regards to lift status, type of terrain and snow coverage:
    Regards to lift status Falls all were running and thus access to all of the resort, Hotham had blue ribbon closed for entire duration of stay, and orchard, keoghs and gotcha lifts periodically closed, orchard more so than the other two. Plus Heavenly Valley lift is consistently busy it has many trails that funnel into it causing large lifts lines. With blue ribbon closed it throttles down the resort to 3/4 capacity of runs thereabouts, forcing a huge mismatch of skier and boarder experiences through the heavenly valley lift area, especially when orchard closes as well. When i first got to Hotham, i was completely disappointed with this, add to the fact that visibility was very poor and orchard and the like were closed. However Hotham turned it on in the last two days, with good snow cover, blue bird conditions and most lifts and terrain open the place shines a beacon of light to those after off piste runs. However the way australian snow conditions goes this year, falls is the better resort.

For me all skier and boarder types will get a great mixture of beginner, intermediate and advanced runs at falls this season, Hotham you have to pick your days and if you get lucky this season intermediates and advanced skier/boarder will rejoice, as i did today dropping in off piste from spargos, and one tree hill, as well as all the runs in the double black zone. I'd go back to Hotham for sure, but Falls is my pick for the win this year without hesitation.

15. currawong

I don't how "on mountain" you want. if the White Room still exists, it is pretty much ski in - ski out.

I am a died in the wool Falls skier, but IMO The White Room is the best lunch venue in Australian ski fields.

#15 currawong, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  16. kiphero

kiphero Hard Yards

Eagles Nest @ Thredbo is a great restaurant.. highest in Australia as well!

17. Chameleon

Chameleon First Runs

Thanks for your observations guys...interesting. We're heading off for our 4th trip to Falls arriving Sunday. Based on weekly OBS threads, mountain runs look to be well-covered but difficult to identify how the village roads are coping. Can anyone provide a recent status report? Thanks in advance.

18. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My thoughts on the 3:

Overall: Buller > Hotham > Falls

Low snow year: Falls > Buller > Hotham

Medium snow year: (like this year): Hotham > Falls > Buller

High snow year: Buller > Hotham >>>>>>> Falls

Village: Falls > Buller > Hotham

Chance of good snow: Hotham/Falls > Buller

Terrain: Buller > Hotham > Falls (Hotham has good terrain but is compromised by Slalom Gully and difficulty looping the good runs)

Lifts: Buller > Falls > Hotham

Beginner/Intermediate skiing: Falls > Buller > Hotham

Advanced/Expert skiing: Buller > Hotham >>>>>>> Falls

Lifties: Falls > Hotham > Buller

19. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I find myself agreeing with almost everything Carveman says, although I suspect he hasn't skied enough of The Maze to appreciate the true diversity of black and dark blue runs that Falls has available. But without lifts on McKay, loyalists to other resorts will always have potshots at Falls about this sort of thing.

Falls and Buller do have reasonably good town layouts.
    Falls has an especially good design, with every single place having ski-in, ski-out access and most venues being within comfy walking distance. But Falls does not have a proper town centre.

Buller does have a town centre, but the rest of the buildings sprawl badly out in 4 directions.

Even Baw Baw works okay at it's more modest level. The three venues are centrally located and close together. As a bonus, much of the village has ski-in, ski-out access.

But Hotham's town layout is simply appalling in almost every way. It's as bad as Perisher. Even one eyed supporters like Trappers would have to concede that!

20. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

One thing people forget is that I am very particular about what I want in a resort (that's why I can be such a PITA in the Travel forum), but also am happy to concede that it may well not apply to others.

I am pretty certain that it will take an event of some description to get me to Falls, as I can't see myself ever volunteering to ski there in the near future, however I find myself recommending it to people more than any other resort.

In fact I always volunteered to conduct APSI courses at Falls because the terrain there was the most suitable for what I was doing.

21. andy222009

andy222009 Hard Yards

i appreciate all the posts.

I had such a good time at falls. the place is fun and friendly and one thing i didnt point out is that it is mercilessly free of intermediates who say they are advanced. there was an excellent marketing slogan "ski seriously, ski hotham" some years ago. this was undoubtedly directed at that market and it has worked because they now all go to hotham and skid down the black runs rather than "waste their time" on the unadvanced terrain of falls creek.

not referring to genuine advanced skiers (i dont reckon they need a slogan to attract them to good terraiin. you all know where it is...)

i went to hotham with a group of these friends last year. it was very annoying. they keep going down black runs all the time and telling everyone about it. one of them even said to me when i came back from falls that she wouldnt go there because "there is not enough advanced stuff". she spends all her time on her tails and uphill ski. another announced her intention to go down a double black at hotham. she did it and survived. survived is the only assessment i can give her. i think she was foolhardy. one of them i think finally realised his skills werent up to it and didnt go. good on him. i certainly wouldnt. (but hope to someday)

but it suits me and everyone else who likes falls. i even had second thoughts about starting the thread because i am happy if falls stays out of the limelight.

andy

22. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Bad News: insufficient snow cover on #fallscreek roads. Good News: you are no longer forced to use Oversnow and can now drive to the lodge.
    http://www.twitter.com/aacfallscreek

#22 foxhound, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  23. surferchris

surferchris Hard Yards

Seems there is some mixed opinions which is expected!
    Each resort in Vic has better things to suit different peoples needs!
    I tend to go where has the best snow cover and amount of runs open which is always
    going to be Hotham and Falls creek, with Buller been most unreliable, plus crowds and idiot
    day trippers!

If i had to pick id go to Thredbo then perisher any day over vic resorts!
    Snow depths and cover way better plus has most vertical drop!

But then id pick Japan and Canada over the lot!

Happy snowing people!

24. Benn0

Benn0 Old n' Crusty

I really enjoyed our Falls trip last year, was thinking of going to Perisher next year for a bit of a change, but I enjoy the village at Falls so much I might go back there instead. If there is no snow in Oz next year I'll go to Wanaka.

I thought it was pretty well known that for Vic resorts Hotham is the way to go if there is plenty of snow and you like challenging terrain. If you want a family holiday with a bit of atmosphere (and/or there isn't much snow) go to Falls. And there is always the maze if you do want to carve it up while the family snow plough down Drovers.

Anyway, thanks for the review Andy, pretty spot on I'd say.

25. sno cowboy

sno cowboy First Runs

okay im a little bit of a newb but where is the maze at falls? i've been there before but dont remember it being marked on any of the trail maps....

26. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Falls is fun and not intimidating

This is good

27. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Its all the area to the right of the International Poma.

#27 Stratus, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  28. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

Lots of fun. When you first go there you have lots of options and it starts out nice and gentle like the Orchard. But then it gets all narrow and very interesting depending on which way down you choose! Has anyone skied it this year? Hope to before the season's out.

29. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

I will be back at fall next week for 7 days so wil give an updated assessment of the maze then

30. currawong

the maze consists of a number of marked runs, including wishing well, valley of the moon, roller coaster, jigsaw, chainsaw, black & blue, beesting. I don't regard zipper as part of the maze, but some do. It just doesn't have the same character at all. Zipper still looked quite skiable this week.

it has been open this year but not really enough snow to make it worthwhile. I haven't bothered going in there. Friends who did said it was pretty poor.

You really need 1.5 metres of snow for the maze to be good. I don't think we actually hit 1 metre this season

The maze is an incredible place to ski when it's good. A good day in the maze is as much fun as I've had anywhere OS. But you don't get that every season [​IMG] I can't see the point of scratching around in the maze when it's marginal and there is great snow in other parts of the mountain

#30 currawong, Aug 20, 2009
  31. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My kids tried it a couple of weeks ago and were disappointed, as they had been looking forward to it.

32. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I first visited Falls in July '97. I chose July as the accomodation tariffs were affordable. I kept this up for a few years, but I was continually dismayed at staying and not being able to ski The Maze which typically doesn't open with excellent cover until August.

So I made the choice in 2002 to pay extra and stay and ski Falls every winter in Peak Season.

Thankfully, this wonderful forested area is never crowded, and inexperienced riders are usually sensible enough to avoid it. Which means I very seldom have to take evasive action after taking a corner and slipping down a narrow run, only to find a couple of newbies metres in front holding first gear doing snowplow turns.

I sometimes wonder at how often those unfamiliar with The Maze attempt to deviate from a marked run and have an encounter with the aquaduct !

This may sound strange, but in a way I think the area still looks no less appealing despite the obvious scars left by the bushfire from a few summers back.

In the Winter, the naked trees near the top of The Maze give me a feeling of Skiing in Europe, Japan , or North America. Like a scene of deciduous trees.

I guess that in time to come, the International Poma will be retired and in its place a chairlift erected. Although I loathe the long queues that congregrate at the base of the Poma when The Maze is 'running hot' I do have a nostalgic fondness of this lift.

I also kinda think that if and when a chairlift is erected, this may lure even more skiers/boarders into The Maze.

Now, do we really want that ? [​IMG]

#32 snowduck, Aug 21, 2009
  33. SLK

SLK First Runs

It has been great to read all your thoughts on Falls verse the other resorts. Being ex NSW 20 years ago, we pulled out the "skins" and fluro stuff for a family trip to Baw Baw last year. Was fantastic and got us hooked again. Nearly booked Baw Baw again this year cause of the kids still being very green, but fortunatley we decided on Falls. The kids may have battled skiing on a dirt hill at Baw Baw this year. I do feel for the guys and girls at Baw Baw.

Based on all your comments above, we are looking forward to our Falls trip and really dont care how much snow comes down in the next week or so, as I gave a gut feeling there will still be enough to satisfy us again.

Question? is the Supermarket too much more than what you would spend in melbourne

34. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

The Hub "Supermarket" seems somewhat more expensive than Melb, but not so much that I choked when I saw the prices. The range is however somewhat limited. There is now a bigger supermarket at St Waterfalls (aka Quay West), but have not been in there yet.

There is every chance that the Sun Valley side will remain skiable for a few more weeks - hopefully there will not be a repeat of last Friday's (or even the previous Sunday's) rain events. The Bowl/Summit side is now quite worn, and bottom of Inter is agricultural, but if the forecast dump occurs this week, then perhaps all will be good again. I however have to say that it feels like spring is here - there were even blow-flies out on the weekend.

35. Apresski

The supermarket at St Falls is operated by the same people who have the Mount Beauty supermarket. It is well stocked and clean! which was never the case with Snowland. The prices are about 30% more from the little notice I took as we take most of our food with us.

36. SLK

SLK First Runs

Well, we just got back from our first trip to Falls Creek. Lots of words to be used, but fantastic will cover it. The snow conditions were just fine for the type of skiing we do. The whole family has imporved their skiing by 2-3 levels and even our youngest has gone from "no way am I skiing" to a mid level 3 and wants more this year.
    All resort staff were very friendly, not one person seemed unhappy. Accomodation great, food great, although most came from home. The drive from Melbourne very easy.

Will be back again in 2010.

37. dawooduck

Things to do before I die ........... ski Falls Creek when everything is open and all the roads are covered in snow.

38. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Done. Many times in 80s and early 90s. [​IMG]

#38 VSG, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  39. currawong

sounds like you had a happier visit than last time Dr WD. weather was certainly a whole lot nicer this week, even if snow conditions were less than ideal

40. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Price is very dependent upon what you've after. Bargain of the day - pack of 4 donuts (jam filled) for less than $5 which is less than Herbert Adams etc or Do not King (sic).

You can still walk out with a pack of 6 hot dog franks & rolls for less than $10 so lunch for the crew can still be less than $15 per person.

But getting back to the topic, best part of Falls - the staff, Friendly & honest on several occasions eg bod who lost his wallet incl $$$$ found intact & returned by instructor, mobile phone found by Guest Services (phoned the owner's mum to let him know where to get his phone), staffer who advised to hold off till this morning to decide if I needed a lift ticket due to high winds (predicted) & possible wind hold.

Ski School - Milo snow club/kids instructors including a big tick for Luke (from the UK) who had one of our kids for 7 days and took her all over the mountain as well as improving her skiing by several levels. Others of note Barbara (on the front desk), Myf & Lauren.

The Lifties - always welcoming & occasionally had time for a chat (as well as pointing out some of the good runs considering the current conditions/time of day).

Oversnow (yes even those guys deserve a pat on the back) - village shuttle frequent (but crowded at peak times), obliging with letting us off closer to our digs whenever possible. A couple of minor improvements - queue rails/barricades for the main stops wouldn't go astray esp at St Falls and the Village.

I'll be back. [​IMG]

#40 Scott No Mates, Sep 12, 2009
  41. Apresski

Good to hear that Falls was so good to you. Incidently I don't think people complain about the guys and gals that work for Oversnow, more the owner!

42. currawong

the guys driving the shuttles are not oversnow, they are RMB.

when there is snow on the road, oversnow sometimes provide shuttles and drivers if RMB vehicles are out of service.

in theory oversnow still provide lodge transport when the roads are clear, but in practice not much.

43. dawooduck

Okay so this year ...........

the weather was much better
    the snow was quite okay for what their was but its spring so that's that
    the village shuttle system was a HUUUUGGGGEEE improvement
    being able to drive to lodge and drop off was a HUUUUGGGGEEE improvement
    the pub had new carpet

the food and beverage is still over priced and the food staff a little over regarded by themselves

My tip. Get the people that run the cafe in the ski hire in Mt Beauty to run the food outlets

St Falls looks like it will fall down sometime soon.

You Mexicans do it hard compared to NSW when it comes to accessing ski resorts. Winding access roads, little parking, lots of trudging around with skis, too many hands in the till.

I would be worth it to spend 5 days in FC when the whole plce is covered in snow and all ski lines are accessible. Alas this appears to be a very rare occurrence.

44. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    great to be able to drive to the lodge this year.

Friendliest lifties in Oz, actually make that best customer service from Mountain staff in general in Australia this year.
    Great food, beers, atmosphere at Oishii Go
    Good pizza at Tomdickandharrys
    Concur with the Duck on St Falls - shoddiest workmanship I've seen for a while on a "luxury" hotel
    and also on the drive - 2 winding mountainous sections whichever way you approach. 2 spews on the way up for our car, luckily we took precautions on the way back (note - we never have spews on the Buller rd??)

Always nice to have a comp without wind and rain [​IMG]

#44 luvthabumps, Sep 14, 2009
  45. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That's not rare at all.

#45 Sandy, Sep 14, 2009
  46. dawooduck

Architecturally St Falls sort of works but if you are going to use lots of thin straight lines for affect then ......... they need to be straight, uniform and of a consistent candence. The galvanized balcony grilles look woeful against the stained timber feature uprights. Some of the weeping and cracking in the balconies is a real worry. The environs of the whole area are still under construction but he 500mm differential between the high-side road and the new pathways will need some addressing and the lighting and workmanship on the stairs is very ordinary.Shouldn't stainless step lighting be recessed. ??

I am not sure that "luxury" hotels should be built in car parks.

47. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

A lot more common than Thredbo top to bottom natural and about as common as top to bottom Thredbo in moderately good condition (not bottom third porridge).

Did it last year late August no problems at all and had been that way for a weeks and weeks.

Missed it by a week at much the same time this year but then everyone agrees that snow is down this year compared to most. Cover was still very good with 90% of runs good (Maze was NOT) and roads cleared on the 2nd day we were there. Many higher places still ski in but lower places off the main home trails wouldn't have been.

#47 Ian D, Sep 14, 2009
  48. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Between 1990 and 2006, I went to Falls Creek for 4 days at the end of July, on 15 out of 17 years!!!
    I generally stayed on Parallel Street, and I'd say that there was only two/three years out of 15 that didn't have enough snow to ski to the lifts in the morning, and back to the lodge in the afternoon.
    At least half of the years had enough snow to ski everywhere including the other side of the International poma, and that was at the end of July!!

49. dawooduck

So I guess the answer is ............ August.

50. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Pretty much. I would say a good chance from mid July to first week of Sept but naturally either end has a bit of a lower chance.