1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Richard's belated Thredbo report from Falls Creek....

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by SAL, Dec 8, 2008.

1. SAL

SAL Addicted

#1 SAL, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Good to see a good skier that can enjoy Falls for what it offers rather than feeling obliged to fill their commentary with a whole lot of snide remarks about its lack of steeps thus trying to inflate their own ego as to their superior ability.

3. snowplough

snowplough Hard Yards

I agree Ian. A good honest assessment of what Falls can offer. Nice pics also!

4. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

[​IMG]

#4 Ulmerhutte, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    Saw that report - always can be counted on for straight up info...was thinking..."ring ring ring oi oi oi oi oi oi ring"...you know, seeing the cow bell.

6. Xcape

Xcape Old n' Crusty

The current report smacks of Hotham.

7. SAL

SAL Addicted

#7 SAL, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Of course it could be that people are just stating a truism.....

#8 Hunter, Dec 15, 2008
  9. Ian D

Or perhaps people don't realise that different people want different things at resorts and if they all offered the same type of terrain and features it would all be terribly bland and boring.

Richard is a VERY good skier. He identified what Falls has to offer (which is a lot) and acknowledged those things without feeling the need to inflate his own ego by deriding the terrain which offers a lot of fun to a wide range of skiers (good and bad).

10. Hunter

Since when does stating a fact become "deriding" and why is it necessarily so that anyone who points out what is clearly obvious are only doing it to inflate their own ego ? long bow to draw Ian, especially when you have no idea what they may or may not be thinking.

#10 Hunter, Dec 15, 2008
  11. Ian D

So you have no recollection of all the "Flat Creek" comments (that is not stating a fact that is being derogatory), go into any one of lots of threads about Falls and you will see the usual suspects in there making snide comments about the terrain, whether it is relevant to the discussion or not. It is as predictable as AFL pitbulls entering any thread on the A-league for no other reason that to insert snide comments.

No-one will argue that Falls has the steepest terrain in Australia, but a snow experience isn't defined solely by the angle of the slope. Something that Richard was aware of in his review of his visit.

12. Hunter

You mean like Mudbo ? - Don't see Thredbo people insecure over that description.

Or fog bound Buller, or Mt Shut or He Haw, etc etc

Every mountain has its limitations, most don't carry a chip over it though.

I have read many a person use the term Flat Creek and number of them instructors as well, somehow don't think they are "boosting their ego's"

13. Ian D

Thing is "flat" is a relative term. Plenty of people that ski at Falls find it plenty steep enough and the top couple of percent of skiers in Australia that can't find enough steeps on the Summit and Inter to keep them happy already know that so it is a pointless comment regularly expoused by people who seem to want to imply that unless it is steep it is pointless.

The lack of Federation, Cannonball, Marys Slide or Kamikaze style steeps at Falls doesn't have any impact on 90% of the Australian skiing and boarding population. The comment is therefore pointless to the vast majority of people and an ego trip by most who post about it that they are in the top few % of skiers or boarders in Australia.

There are ways to say things and ways to say things and it is all in how you pass the information. As I said, I have never met anyone (even hard core Fall skiers) that claim that Falls has steeps that match some of the other resorts. It does however have plenty going for it and that is often something that is brushed off here because it is "flat", which it isn't, it just doesn't have the range of steeps that some other resorts have.

So what? Not everyone wants steeps. Look at the numbers on Front Valley, Bourke St or even LBS, Super trails etc to see that.

14. Hunter

No issue with any of that except I believe you are underestimating the % of skiers that would find the resort less than challenging/lacking in variety, I would only consider myself strong intermediate or low advanced and the lack of strong terrain, especially reliable strong terrain is off putting enough to make me choose FC last out of the main 4 resorts.

That aside I have always advocated FC is a great resort inspite of the lack of hard runs, precisely because it caters so well to the main market of skiers, ie low intermediates.

It does not alter the clear as day fact the resort lacks challenging terrain, and "Flat Creek" is a witty description for same, just as "Mudbo" is for Thredbo, anyone who has an issue with such harmless jibes are quite obviously insecure about the issue.

FC is the best intermediate mountain in Australia with the best village and all and as Richard pointed out perhaps the best service to boot, it is "still vertically challenged " of that there is no doubt.

Inspite of the current day political correctness Australians should continue to call a "spade a spade"

15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

what Ian said.

and there are lots of people who enjoy steeps sometimes but as an overall package prefer Falls. I class myself as advanced but not expert. There are plenty of demanding runs (or at least pitches) at Falls that have yet to ski really well (eg the Y's, widow maker, cabbage patch, exhibition bumps). If you are an adrenalin junkie, then maybe surviving a slope is enough. But if you like to ski with a bit of style, there are plenty of challenges for all but the top echelon - and some of them love the place anyway.

16. Ian D

I would love to see a low intermediate try and get down:
    - The Y's
    - The Knolls
    - Widowmaker
    - Jigsaw
    - Cabbage Patch
    - The Slot

Not saying that they are of Marys Slide or Fed. pitch but they are none the less considerably above a low intermediate standard. A low intermediate being someone who can ski a basic blue run at something approaching a decent parallel comfortably. They are capable on steeper blues that are groomed but all over the shop on moguls at that pitch. They can "get down" a black but not with any style.

A very strong intermediate would be very comfortable on a couple of them and all over the shop on some of the others, a lower end advanced skier would be comfortable enough on all of them. A high end advanced skier would just play on them (but that can be fun too).

17. Hunter

No issue with that either. Point is it does not change the simple fact the resort lacks variety of steep terrain when compared to the other main hills, any reasonable skier from OS say who has never skied any of the resorts ( and therfore does not hold a torch for any of the hills ) would undoubtably make the same observation, would be impossible not to, does not change the fact it is a good, resort just states the obvious.

#17 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  18. Hunter

Nobodys suggested the resort has no strong terrain and neither would they expect a low intermediate to be able to ski it easily either.
    The y's is actually a really nice pitch but is extremely short once you take out the glide to it.

#18 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  19. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hunter I think Ian (and others) are upset by the slightly pejorative terms used. Just because they may have a whiff of truth in them, doesn't automatically make them nice.

I don't think a plump person would like to be called "Fatty" or that a nasally advantaged person would enjoy being addressed as "Big Nose" in public.

It's the same thing here, except that "Mt Shutt" is very rarely closed, "Flat Creek" has plenty of steeps, (but perhaps less than some other places) and "Mudbo" frequently has snow from top to bottom.

Slagging off people and places for no good reason is unpleasant, so it would be nice if people could do it less often. [​IMG]

#19 Bogong, Dec 16, 2008
  20. Ian D

You have obviously missed a lot of posts over the years Hunter.

#20 Ian D, Dec 16, 2008
  21. Hunter

Oh for heavens sake, we are talking about ski hill not people !
    People need to get over themselves and take it for what it is a witty jibe..........those who don't/can't are incredibly insecure.
    My god what is this country coming too !

22. Hunter

Take it up with them.....

#22 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  23. Ian D

I thought I was but you came in here all guns blazing ....

24. Hunter

No you did.

#24 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  25. Ian D

I made a general comment, not mentioning any names and this was your first response.

Then later this.

So which is it?

Now this:
    I only took it up with you because you seemed to be one of those people who I should go take it up with since you were the only one that came in here and made a deal about my comments and implied that they were wrong.

#25 Ian D, Dec 16, 2008
  26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hunter, if you thought my post 20 minutes ago was a bit precious.
    What if I described your suburb or town as:

"A Bogan grot-hole populated by criminals and slobs who wear tracky-dacks when they go out. The main industries appear to be car theft and house breaking".

You would be slightly offended. While I have no idea where you live, there would be an ELEMENT of truth in that statement because everywhere has some crime and a few people who don`t look after themselves.

Likewise people who in live in these ski towns or just visit them a lot, are fond of them and don't like these negative and unfair descriptions. Personally I have no great resort loyalty, but I know people who do and they are slightly hurt when people use those terms.

#26 Bogong, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  27. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

People look at these forums when thinking about where to ski. To read many of the posts about "Flat Creek" you would think it was akin to Buffalo or Selwyn. This is clearly not the case. People who would love Falls Creek can be put off trying it by the egotistical "witty????" comments of those that deride Falls. There is plenty at Falls Creek to keep the vast majority of skiers happy and challenged. (Truth is most skiers at Falls don't venture off the groom.)

Falls has shorter runs, but I don't see this as a drawback. Let's compare Scotts at FC with Imagine at Hotham. Long traverse to get to Imagine; hideous ski out along Slalom Gully; less reliable cover because base elevation is lower; long wait (often) to get back up.

#27 currawong, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  28. Hunter

Both wrong and unfair I think Ian, since when do you know what people are thinking ( any people for that matter ) but more importantly why lump all people in your disparaging remark ?

Some people might have that motive but I am sure all don't and I can assure you I don't and I have used the term Flat Creek as has many others on this board, moderators included.

#28 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  29. snowplough

snowplough Hard Yards

Folks,
    I'm resonably new to this forum stuff and I have quickly established that a lot of you are extremely passionate about your snow sports and in particular the Australian ski industry as a whole!
    On this point I am in no place to compare notes with some of you regarding the terrain and aspects of various resorts and their runs. I have ski'd FC as a beginner and found it more that challenging enough, constantly finding my limits and quite often surpassing them (usually with much finger pointing and laughter from friends at my expense).

However as a casual observer from the side I believe that everyone has adquately made their points on this topic and it is now time to sit back with a rather large bag of chill pills and reflect on the season that it was and what might be installed for year next!

Enough of the seriousness...

30. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Passionate does not always mean knowledgeable.
    We have a disease here, caused by a lack of snow, it's called SDS, Snow Deprivation Syndrome. It gets worse and worse from now until the first big snow fall. At that point we all go off line for a few days as the forums become shut down so that all the bandwidth can be given to the snow cams. Then we all come back cured.

31. Hunter

I'm well chilled, I will be on skis again in a couple of weeks [​IMG]

#31 Hunter, Dec 16, 2008
  32. Ian D

I think my call is pretty close to the mark Hunter.

"fill their commentary with a whole lot of snide remarks about its lack of steeps"

Note what I said, not the odd passing comment, or even educated description.

If you haven't seen the plethora of these posts from a range of people then you haven't read many Falls posts in the last few years.

33. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

[​IMG]

#33 Ulmerhutte, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  34. Hunter

No, If you had said "some" I would have no issue but you choose to make a sweeping generalisation instead, a practice you often pick up on in others.

And as I said, and I am sure many others who might have used the term Flat Creek take issue at being called "snide and inflating their egos" when in fact is is just a good hearted jibe.

#34 Hunter, Dec 17, 2008
  35. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, I didn't know Caroline left the post office [​IMG]

#35 sastrugi, Dec 17, 2008
  36. Ian D

It isn't a generalisation at all Hunter.

Those that fill their posts with snide remarks are the ones I was referring to. I can't think of any that fill their posts with snide remarks that it doesn't apply to IMO. These are not the same people that make an occasional jibe or educated comment on the available terrain.

37. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    learn indeed...from the Berg. Mountain high sees all below as it applies in name sake for Deutschland und Österreich bequeathing sense of exhilaration and honest good fun....accompanied by a beer, which may lead to some exaggeration later on, that.....sliding is to be enjoyed. Whenever ego enters into, then one is no better than Rudy Garmisch of Hot Dog fame.....that Squaw devil where he.....being the hole he was, created such fury through ego, you wondered if he simply enjoyed the skiing?

Whether or not the weather is favourable in either sense, snowy or sunny, still begs the decision, to ski or not to ski....on any given day. So in essence, all else aside for the sake for skiing, for in the blood it caresses our insides and fails to boil over due to some erroneous post of competitive silliness done to service the better than set. Enjoyment is simple and if you want a challenge, go seek it, but to dominate thought with such atrocity so as to render a ski place inane is just silly, for the blood does carry life and it is life lived....on skis, often not often enough, but never the less, taken and enjoyed in principle and purpose.

As Shirl (RIP) did tell us, ego is a clean word, until application makes it so brown (ugly in winter) and the cast of the w a n k y ski type is born.

So fall at falls, ski the gentles and ski the steeps in whatever way they exist.....but at least they do exist, and for that we must remain grateful in the least to see them there, and ever so more, that we can ski there.

Richard's report is excellent and says it as it is. he is indeed a gentleman....though I have never met him, but I do thank him for his very regular stories.

38. Hunter

Now you have rightly made the distinction I have been refering to all along.

We are now in agreeance, thanks.

#38 Hunter, Dec 17, 2008
  39. Ian D

So all you are saying after all this is you agree with my original post [​IMG]

#39 Ian D, Dec 18, 2008
  40. Hunter

The above qualification WAS not in your original post.

#40 Hunter, Dec 18, 2008
  41. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Falls Creek suffers from over hype not under hype.

98% of "where should I ski" inquiries are met with "Flat Creek it is everything for everyone" type replies.

That is just bollocks.

Anyone who dares not adhere to the ski.com Flat Creek marketing hype is singled out for "snide remarks". It is impossible to get a balanced view of Flat Creek from ski.com. That much is an obvious constant and remarked upon when meeting other ski.com people out skiing anywhere else but FC.

There is no remarkable praise for FC in Richards report except for the customer service and he said the same thing about Hotham. Smiling lifties can be hard to find in Oz resorts but are usually found towards the end of the season on a sunny uncrowded day.

Flat Creek = far, far too precious. Great place for families on a sunny day but way, way over hyped by "Friends of FC " in these forums.

quack