Road to Charlottes update 2017

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
So, word on the street is that RMS will most likely start cutting a lane up to the Charlotte Pass Resort entry after the long weekend but this will be for the resort management access only so gates at Perisher will remain locked.

As people have noticed, Perisher have cleared to Eyre T-bar in case buses need to be run for skier access during the additional ski week post long weekend but as resort roads are still oversnow access, Kosci Road will remain blocked at Ski Tube building until NPWS start clearing internal roads after the long weekend.

Efforts will be made to clear to Spencers Creek over next couple of weeks so fingers crossed this will be open by weekend of 14/15 October. Given there is still a huge amount of snow up at the turning circle it may be a while until the road is fully cleared and open. Probably not as soon as people would like unfortunately.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
So, word on the street is that RMS will most likely start cutting a lane up to the Charlotte Pass Resort entry after the long weekend but this will be for the resort management access only so gates at Perisher will remain locked.

As people have noticed, Perisher have cleared to Eyre T-bar in case buses need to be run for skier access during the additional ski week post long weekend but as resort roads are still oversnow access, Kosci Road will remain blocked at Ski Tube building until NPWS start clearing internal roads after the long weekend.

Efforts will be made to clear to Spencers Creek over next couple of weeks so fingers crossed this will be open by weekend of 14/15 October. Given there is still a huge amount of snow up at the turning circle it may be a while until the road is fully cleared and open. Probably not as soon as people would like unfortunately.
lame bastards

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
How much does it cost to clear the road? They do it every year, rather than just waiting…..Does more snow really make that much diff? I remember cars driving around the circle (near the dunny) with like 4 metre banks, with boarders gapping the road over the top of them one year.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
How much does it cost to clear the road? They do it every year, rather than just waiting…..Does more snow really make that much diff? I remember cars driving around the circle (near the dunny) with like 4 metre banks, with boarders gapping the road over the top of them one year.
Dunno, but they sure as heck should spend it for the vast numbers of backcountry skiers who really need to get access from Charlottes.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
About the same number they are running lifts for this week!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Speaking of roads, signage indicates the works starts on the Kosi Rd double lanes Oct 10.

Reactions: nfip

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Rawsons did
I'm assuming that's total project cost, rather than just construction; concept, enviro assessment, approvals, detailed design, sourcing, materials selection and delivery, construction, etc.

Phew, I thought you were talking the one at CP!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The Stadlemsn boys have been wandering around looking for things to do. All the pot holes have been filled, the dead posts replaced/repaired.

Time to let em loose on the CP
Road.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Much better to spend the time and money on a course for all RMS personnel "Dealing with complaints from angry ski tourers". To be followed the week after with "Dealing with complaints from angry split boarders".

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
IMG_2216.JPG

CP road from Eyre late morning today, way more snow than bitumen.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
If i worked for RMS i'd jump a the opportunity to go play on the snow cutter instead of shovelling gravel somewhere else. Truth is, they are probably playing on ski forums in a cushy office somewhere like me.

Boutros

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 14, 2012
Jindabyne
I believe RMS have their own blower/cutter so they can work on it once the clearing contractors wind up. One issue is they don’t have a groomer or any other suitable machine to thin it out to a manageable level or to make the 4+ metre snow banks at the turning circle toboggan proof to prevent unwise snow players letting their kids slide off the cliff onto the road. For the CP access they will be relying on CP coming to the party to thin it out a bit. Did I mention hopefully one lane will be clear to CP. Where's all the excitement from keen cyclists?

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
I heard Thredbo may also be running Kosci chair next week as an option for BC access.
Pro patroller told me tonight that it will run for another week past closing.
Also said KT will task groomers to REMOVE snow on main runs to ensure available for the bikes!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I believe RMS have their own blower/cutter so they can work on it once the clearing contractors wind up. One issue is they don’t have a groomer or any other suitable machine to thin it out to a manageable level or to make the 4+ metre snow banks at the turning circle toboggan proof to prevent unwise snow players letting their kids slide off the cliff onto the road. For the CP access they will be relying on CP coming to the party to thin it out a bit. Did I mention hopefully one lane will be clear to CP. Where's all the excitement from keen cyclists?
We are eagerly awaiting the clearing of the snow!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
IMG_0711.PNG
Then Team Bears bringing up the rear with a new picnic table setting for Seamans...with their new tonka truck....no doubt Xplora is interested in this type of vehicle for maintaining Mulhauser Access after heavy dumps,Definately Nokian Tyres on this tonka!

IMG_0711.PNG
,Definately Nokian Tyres on this tonka!
Sorry US definitely not Nokian winter tyres on this Russomobile. They are 'off road construction' tyres
Images below are Nokian winter tyres that are used by RMS, Thredbo and Stadelmann on their snow clearing trucks.
All winter truck/bus tyres have 'siping', same as all car/AWD/4WD winter tyres

IMG_8987.jpg
IMG_8985.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8985.jpg
    IMG_8985.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Not so sure I like the tread pattern on the Stadelman tyre much!!

Looks like a city SUV tread pattern...:whistle:

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
So maybe reading between those lines, RMS is worried about public safety issues and potential litigation from not being able to control Darwinism if the road opened with too much snow.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It's the negligence issue again......nobody wants to do anything in case of litigation.Junior flying off into the roadway and getting totalled by Mr T who is attempting a snow plough stop as he approaches the CP Turning Circle!

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
But what if a toboganner heads off the crags and falls to their death in Crags Creek.

Perhaps we need to close the park altogether.

What have we become? Which imbiscile doesn't realise there are a whole lot of hazards in the world that we cannot make safe. The biggest - getting fat due to idleness. But at least you didn't slide off a snow bank.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I propose that before it snows next winter RMS places slabs of beer and bags of buds every 20m or so along the road, with a couple of kegs at the turning circle. I also like the idea of a mini festival at Charlottes turning circle to celebrate the corn harvest. Days in spring when the road gap is in full swing, blatting runs off Guthries to the road and a full party atmosphere are awesome

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using