1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Road to Charlottes update 2017

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Boutros, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Haven't heard what is happening there but either the loggers or DELWP will get to it. Mittagundi have started their spring program and use that camp site. I was thinking you mean Big River Log Road helipad at the back of Mt. Wills and not the saddle.

This is somewhat true. The seal was not done properly. Some say it was too cold when done but regardless it does break up badly and I saw significant amounts of water under it the other day. Parts of the bitumen just float. Usually the drying out period is after it has been cleared but sometimes it is too wet to get the heavy machinery needed on it. Snow grooming last year did some damage when they took it too low, chopping up the surface in a few areas. The biggest problem this year is the drift near Cope track and about half a km of snow about a metre deep between there and Langford West. The road surface is not too bad in that area and machinery can get to it. The Apline shire does not want to spend money fixing their part of the road apart from filling holes and putting up speed restrictions. EG shire section is in much better condition. I have heard talk of it being handed back to VicRoads and if that happens I would say there may be some money thrown at this road to get it up to standard. It will need ripping up and doing properly, not on the cheap like it was done by councils. If it were a good road then it could be kept open all year (good = able to cope with constant snow clearing) but I have mixed feelings about that. There are some benefits but also a number of safety issues which would need to be addressed. I think Omeo hospital would need an upgrade to deal with all the numb nuts driving up at night. Likely need a morgue facility.

2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like you were on the piss that weekend!

3. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Well I was car camping :)
    2 mega pixels 00's camera ;)

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  4. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Now the roads clear ....anybody for long boarding?

Belly likes this.
  5. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I like snow shoe trekking/ skiing on the BHP road in winter. The road being closed means that the BHP becomes more remote and ski touring and snow shoe trekkers are the only ones who can get out there from Windy corner. The ascent by road via Trapyard gap in winter would be unsafe for many inexperienced drivers.In summer pea soup fog it is iffy anyway.

7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There are a half a dozen things more dangerous on that road than the ascent in winter. There would be some economic benefit to Falls Creek and Omeo as well as some offering accommodation off mountain in the valleys below but it only took 5 years for it to hit the Federal road blackspot list after it was sealed. Mostly motorbike related but I am sure cars would catch up if it were open in winter.