Road to Charlottes update 2017

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Build a tunnel! Like at Hotham.

Isnt part of the CP charm the 'isolation'?
If they can build a ski tube tunnel under the mountain then what is it with clearing some snow on the C.P. road?. The Snowy Mtn.s Hydro electricity infrastructure opened up this area for ski tourism. Since then such gargantuan public works projects are seldom contemplated or enacted.

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
And the shit farms by hyperpoop!!
ZeC3SYI.jpg

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Ah. So you want to get to Charlottes.
Same as I want to get to DHG, or Bondi Beach, or Tathra, or Royal NP.
I recreate. Your want/ need argument is boring.

They make a road management decision to expend resources to open the road prior to a natural snowmelt, for recreation. There's no actual operational need to get to the turning circle. I just want them to focus effort to do it earlier. I'm well, well across what planning and funding impacts there are.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Same as I want to get to DHG, or Bondi Beach, or Tathra, or Royal NP.
I recreate. Your want/ need argument is boring.

They make a road management decision to expend resources to open the road prior to a natural snowmelt, for recreation. There's no actual operational need to get to the turning circle. I just want them to focus effort to do it earlier. I'm well, well across what planning and funding impacts there are.
Yep. You want to get there earlier, and think that your wants should be their priority. RMS probably disagree.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Yep. You want to get there earlier, and think that your wants should be their priority. RMS probably disagree.
I reckon I have a fair handle on their priorities. What I reckon is they need to be appraised more fully of their customers' expectations re access.

Why is your date requiring funds expenditures more valid than mine? As I said, a decision has been made to invest in opening the road for recreation. There's no reason that's the right investment other than that's the investment effort they have always used.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you've had examples on the forum where you are pretty sure you have the mettle of something because you have a much, much, much more engaged experience and background with something than some other folks your are discussing an issue with? Ponder if I might be in that position now.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
I reckon I have a fair handle on their priorities. What I reckon is they need to be appraised more fully of their customers' expectations re access.

Why is your date requiring funds expenditures more valid than mine? As I said, a decision has been made to invest in opening the road for recreation. There's no reason that's the right investment other than that's the investment effort they have always used.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you've had examples on the forum where you are pretty sure you have the mettle of something because you have a much, much, much more engaged experience and background with something than some other folks your are discussing an issue with? Ponder if I might be in that position now.
And timing is in their discretion.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

In other words-
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor,

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
And timing is in their discretion.
Yawn.
No issue with advising them of changing customer expectations.
That's called being responsive. I'm not proposing they undertake a new avenue of work. It's a change in effort in the existing spend.

You make me laugh a lot Legs, but I sometimes think you'd argue with a street sign.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The parking there is off the chain!
I used to pay with bark , then complain the meters were broken.
They cottoned on to that idea. Sending a $90 fine.
A letter to waverly council , loosely based on the premise that being from wollongong, we were unsure what these "parking machines " were . It appealed to their smugness.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Yawn.
No issue with advising them of changing customer expectations.
That's called being responsive. I'm not proposing they undertake a new avenue of work. It's a change in effort in the existing spend.

You make me laugh a lot Legs, but I sometimes think you'd argue with a street sign.
I assume that RMS have a minion whose sole function is to monitor this forum.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I used to pay with bark , then complain the meters were broken.
They cottoned on to that idea. Sending a $90 fine.
A letter to waverly council , loosely based on the premise that being from wollongong, we were unsure what these "parking machines " were . It appealed to their smugness.
And these fines are why Waverley council never delay clearing the snow off the road. So much revenue

Reactions: climberman

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
This thread just keeps on giving!
We need a cam to check on parking at Charlottes Pass TC.
And a fleet of clearing machines on standby damnit! Year Round!! Don't want access delayed in the future by a few little Aussie snowflakes

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
IMG_0726.JPG
Just wait till it melts naturally.
Toilets,Huts and now it's a road covered in a slick of snow .....what is going down in NSW?? Certainly a lot of fossil fuel being consumed so the Warriors can run a few hills??

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I assume that RMS have a minion whose sole function is to monitor this forum.
That assumption is not totally ridiculous. Parks Victoria do look at what people say on Bushwalking dot com. I am quite sure of that esp. about the their numerous hare brained schemes to turn many of our Parks here in VIC. into Lego Land.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
IMG_0729.JPG
It's just a matter of constructing a business case that will support our new proposal.....

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Cup weekend was hoping to squeeze in some turns, what do you rekon are the chances??
.IMO it 'll be ribbon running & Not worth it and it becomes very soft and slow by noon.
It is time to go bush walking and scout out some new BC XC routes in Green season!!!.

See You all on the skis in 2018 . Maybe the South Face of Mt. Bogong might have some black diamond kamikaze runs in a chute or two but the weather has been warm and no substantial further snow has fallen up there since Sept. 2017.

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
NSW and the snowclearing effort.:thumbs: It's an annual spectacle.
Its getting world attention for all the wrong reasons!

A Mickey Mouse operation ......what's with the snow blower being used to move six inches of snow depth??

It's only a few kms of clearing works.

The Hotham Road clearers must be laughing themselves silly when viewing such footage.
Shouldn't laugh too much at NSW Steve. The Bogong High Plains Road is still closed and word yesterday is that it will not open until the second week of November. In comparison to CP there is very little snow to move. This road closure affects a lot of people as well. Big difference is we don't whinge about it every day.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Shouldn't laugh too much at NSW Steve. The Bogong High Plains Road is still closed and word yesterday is that it will not open until the second week of November. In comparison to CP there is very little snow to move. This road closure affects a lot of people as well. Big difference is we don't whinge about it every day.
It's not whinging, it's 'encouraging change'!!
:D

Reactions: skifree

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

It's a road to nowhere, so if no one says nuffin, nuffin gets done.:)

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Oh when it opens ...I will look forward to shooting over into Shannonvale.
I hope to get to Big River Saddle in comming weeks to check on Picnic Tables and to wipper snip around that helipad a little.But I am not in a hurry to chainsaw a million fallen trees over that road just to get out there.

But I thought that the BHP Rd was dodgy in construction and the material under the bitumen needed to fully dry out otherwise it will crumble.

The rate that KNP charges per vehicle per day changed to the normal rate...Team Bears believe.......why don't KNP charge the higher rate till the Rd is open till Charlottes Pass to compensate for the snow clearing monies required.Winter rate was $29 compared to $17 in 2016??

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I hope to get to Big River Saddle in comming weeks to check on Picnic Tables and to wipper snip around that helipad a little.But I am not in a hurry to chainsaw a million fallen trees over that road just to get out there.
Haven't heard what is happening there but either the loggers or DELWP will get to it. Mittagundi have started their spring program and use that camp site. I was thinking you mean Big River Log Road helipad at the back of Mt. Wills and not the saddle.

But I thought that the BHP Rd was dodgy in construction and the material under the bitumen needed to fully dry out otherwise it will crumble.
This is somewhat true. The seal was not done properly. Some say it was too cold when done but regardless it does break up badly and I saw significant amounts of water under it the other day. Parts of the bitumen just float. Usually the drying out period is after it has been cleared but sometimes it is too wet to get the heavy machinery needed on it. Snow grooming last year did some damage when they took it too low, chopping up the surface in a few areas. The biggest problem this year is the drift near Cope track and about half a km of snow about a metre deep between there and Langford West. The road surface is not too bad in that area and machinery can get to it. The Apline shire does not want to spend money fixing their part of the road apart from filling holes and putting up speed restrictions. EG shire section is in much better condition. I have heard talk of it being handed back to VicRoads and if that happens I would say there may be some money thrown at this road to get it up to standard. It will need ripping up and doing properly, not on the cheap like it was done by councils. If it were a good road then it could be kept open all year (good = able to cope with constant snow clearing) but I have mixed feelings about that. There are some benefits but also a number of safety issues which would need to be addressed. I think Omeo hospital would need an upgrade to deal with all the numb nuts driving up at night. Likely need a morgue facility.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums