News Road works on Snowy Mountains Highway -Sawyers Hill

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
http://www.bombalatimes.com.au/story/4560015/highway-roadwork/?cs=533

Work has started to improve safety for motorists on the Snowy Mountains Highway at Sawyers Hill.

$1.27 million has been allocated to install safety barriers and increase the shoulder width on a 2.5 kilometre section of highway about 35 kilometres west of Adaminaby.

Safety improvements on this stretch highway were identified after 15 crashes, resulting in 11 injuries, in the five years to July 2014.

Work is weekdays between 7am and 5pm.

r0_9_767_442_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Snowy Mountains Highway

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
http://www.bombalatimes.com.au/story/4560015/highway-roadwork/?cs=533

Work has started to improve safety for motorists on the Snowy Mountains Highway at Sawyers Hill.

$1.27 million has been allocated to install safety barriers and increase the shoulder width on a 2.5 kilometre section of highway about 35 kilometres west of Adaminaby.

Safety improvements on this stretch highway were identified after 15 crashes, resulting in 11 injuries, in the five years to July 2014.

Work is weekdays between 7am and 5pm.

r0_9_767_442_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Snowy Mountains Highway
Sawyers Hill looks a little different.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Thought they were just bringing down the widow makers. The curves west of Sawyers hut.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Can actually see the erection of safety barriers on the uphill side of the road causing worse crashes in winter. Instead of sliding into the culvert cars will potentially pinball back across the road (unless they are the cable type) and over. So far they've only been working on the western side shoulder.

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
20 years ago I drove solo from Melb to ski Thredbo for the first time. In my oh what a feeling company car Camry. Used to getting chains in Mansfield or Harrietville before heading up the mountain I assumed I could grab in Jindabyne if needed. Actually didn't even think about chains if truth be told. Running late turned off to Tumut thinking the Snowy Mts Hwy would be something like a smaller version of the Hume....anyway punted on up and over....no idea it went so high elevation...into a full screaming blizzard. Went ok past Kiandra...shitting myself really... had a crack at Sawyers Hill....3 times...each time ended up doing unintended circle work sliding back down the hill...effing idjit.... turned tail to head back the way I came and soon after lost control near the Rules Point road turn off. Fair dinkum launched it airborne off the side and landed in a big snow drift about 25 yards down. Car on its nose. Crap all fallen all over me.... anyway got my ski gear on somehow..grabbed a torch...climbed out a window and hoiked up the embankment. About half an hour later a Snowy worker heading home very late ( about 1 in the morning now I think) came by and saved the day.... took me to Kiandra RMS depot...called out a rightfully filthy NRMA bloke who dragged the car out....even though all banged up she started fine....durable cars those Camrys...and gingerly and gently headed carefully down to Tumut....
Anyway...if they are making Sawyers safer to protect numptys like I was/am then I have no issue.....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
20 years ago I drove solo from Melb to ski Thredbo for the first time. In my oh what a feeling company car Camry. Used to getting chains in Mansfield or Harrietville before heading up the mountain I assumed I could grab in Jindabyne if needed. Actually didn't even think about chains if truth be told. Running late turned off to Tumut thinking the Snowy Mts Hwy would be something like a smaller version of the Hume....anyway punted on up and over....no idea it went so high elevation...into a full screaming blizzard. Went ok past Kiandra...shitting myself really... had a crack at Sawyers Hill....3 times...each time ended up doing unintended circle work sliding back down the hill...effing idjit.... turned tail to head back the way I came and soon after lost control near the Rules Point road turn off. Fair dinkum launched it airborne off the side and landed in a big snow drift about 25 yards down. Car on its nose. Crap all fallen all over me.... anyway got my ski gear on somehow..grabbed a torch...climbed out a window and hoiked up the embankment. About half an hour later a Snowy worker heading home very late ( about 1 in the morning now I think) came by and saved the day.... took me to Kiandra RMS depot...called out a rightfully filthy NRMA bloke who dragged the car out....even though all banged up she started fine....durable cars those Camrys...and gingerly and gently headed carefully down to Tumut....
Anyway...if they are making Sawyers safer to protect numptys like I was/am then I have no issue.....
Blimey...You were very lucky! Glad you made it out!

Reactions: NewTurns

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Blimey...You were very lucky! Glad you made it out!
Dumb beginner's luck really. Drive back over midday the next day (with chains in the boot). Very benign no drama. Really enjoyed ringing the boss to say I had stacked the car and of course I would pay the excess..... bent the whole front in..including the radiator but it held its seal. Got all the way back to Melb at the end of the week. Hard to kill car.

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
Yikes. "Road is unsafe for heavy vehicles without chains"?
Chains are not the issue here, it is a tyre issue.
Trucks, like cars and 4WDs, need correct winter tyres when driving in low ambient temperatures on the snow and ice risk sections of the SMH within the Kosciuszko National Park

It is the tyres that makes a vehicle grip the road in snow and icy conditions, not the vehicle drive system. The tread compound of winter tyres, including winter truck tyres, are designed to remain flexible in extremely cold temperatures so the tyre tread keys into the road surface. Normal ‘summer’ tyres are less effective when temperatures drop below 7°C when the compound becomes harder offering less grip especially under braking when driving downhill.

In order for wheel chains to work effectively they must penetrate into a compacted surface. Snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but will wear very quickly when they are driven on a bare road. The problem is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle. Wheel chains need to have firm compacted snow or ice to penetrate to provide the maximum amount of traction. Traction is often lost, wheel slip/spin is experienced, when the snow and/or ice begins to break up and melts. In certain situations the vehicle can slide on the wheel chains especially under braking when driving downhill.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass