Road you'd love to see as a ski run.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
All this snow falling in strange places at recent times as got me thinking.
What some of our major roads became skiable.?
For me - I'd love to hoot down Mt Ousley in two feet of fresh.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Parko

First Runs
May 9, 2006
Wollongong
This is all I think when i'm on the road and the snow season is looming
smile.gif

I'd love to see Macquarie Pass covered top to bottom. It'd have similar fast sections to Ousley, but I reckon those hairpins would be unbeatable

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
I'd like to see the road in Harrietville covered in snow. Then I'd know that by the time I got to the top it would be epic and dry!

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
Victoria pass, Mt Victoria.
Bells line of road, Lithgow.
Bells line of road, Kurrajong.
2 mile hill, Jenolan caves - oberon rd.
Fire trail from Ingar to Andersons creek. Actually every firetrail to Andersons creek.
Gwydir Hwy, at the eastern side of Gibraltar range national park.

Reactions: cold wombat

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
Brown Mountain or Clyde Mountain roads on the South Coast would give you a pretty long run and plenty of speed. Mind you, some of the tight turns would require some skill with a lot of speed.

Reactions: Jacko4650

Powderoo

First Runs
Jan 15, 2007
Melburn
I automatically think of hill climb racing courses:

The Knox Mountain Hillclimb http://www.knoxmtnhillclimb.ca, is run annually on Knox Mountain Park Road, in the City of Kelowna. The road, while paved, is narrow with off-camber corners, and steep grades; a nice Sunday drive, but hardly a race track. It is 2.2 miles (3.5 km) long, and climbs approximately 800 feet (245 m) in elevation for an average grade of 6.7%.

Pikes Peak International Hillclimb held at Pikes Peak, Colorado. The 12.4 mile course finishes at a height of 14,100 feet.

"Race to the Sky" is based near Queenstown. Starts from the floor of the Cardrona Valley and runs uphill for 15 kilometres through 137 corners to the top, climbing from 1,500 ft to 5,000 ft averaging a 1:11 gradient.

I could imagine some thigh burn on these courses.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

carvit

First Runs
Apr 29, 2004
South Coast.NSW.
cool how the thread starter and another poster is from the Gong.
me too.
here's another couple...O'briens Rd Figgy, Cordeaux Rd Mt Kembla, Carters Ln Coledale...i could go on.
we have the steeps in the Illawarra, just not the stuff to slide on!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Hey Carvit.

Mate for me Bulli pass also gets a nod.So many banks to hit all the way down. Massive berm on the elbow.All good. Except the flat middle section. Maybe we could put a tow in?

Not sure if crew on here know Mt Ousley or not- but about 8 years ago someone bombed down Mt Ousley on a longboard(skateboard). 3am or so in the morning.
He was doing 80-90kmh or so the story goes.

Reactions: sixty_eight

Fangin'Wolvy

First Runs
Apr 8, 2004
VIC
I'd love to see Mt Dandenong Tourist road from the Kilsyth side, snowed out! All down hill, heaps of hairpins/corners and eventually straightening out!

Reactions: Chaeron

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Endless Winter
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Baw Baw's already got one......
The main road from Top Carpark to ticket box, 6.5 km!
After a night time dump, before the crew start to clear the road! (about 5 AM, torches mandatory)

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
None of these get really steep. Difficult to drive, but not steep.

Macquarie Pass, near Port Kembla/Wollongong, NSW

macquariepass-1.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

carl-jay

First Runs
Jan 15, 2004
adelaide
anyone from adelaide would tell you the SE freewaywould be the best road in oz to ski down. wide, steep, long.
more trucks have failed brakes on the freeway than any other road ive ever heard of and you can basically not use the accel at all in your car from mt barker all the way to cross rd.

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
CJ, Is that the highway from Melbourne to Adelaide, as you're coming into Adelaide down from the Adelaide Hills? Yeah - that would be really good - nice and long too. Could just see beginners on it, unable to stop at the traffic lights at the bottom
laugh.gif

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
Just thought of another one that is actually possible, rather than pure fantasy, the road from the top of Mt Wellington down to the harbour in Hobart. Close as you'll get to skiing to sea level in Oz.

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
carl-jay said:
anyone from adelaide would tell you the SE freewaywould be the best road in oz to ski down. wide, steep, long.
more trucks have failed brakes on the freeway than any other road ive ever heard of and you can basically not use the accel at all in your car from mt barker all the way to cross rd.

Nice long blue run that would be. The old road with the Devil's elbow or whatever it's called would be a nice black run I reckon.

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
Brown Mountain, for those who know the Far South Coast - from the Monaro down to the coastal plains.

seak

One of Us
Apr 8, 2003
Blue Mts
VSG said:
For those who know... Mount Ainslie, ACT. The walking track up from the War Memorial.
biggrin.gif
You may knock the down the Honourable Kim Beazley jogging up it!

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
attunga road, edgecliff/double bay, nsw.

short, probably 15 turns at best, but steep as.

homeless penguin

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2007
Lombard St, San Francisco.. lol, (You know, that awesome winding paved street with the gardens and stuff), dont ask why, i dont know.

san_francisco_lombard_st5.jpg

If its a road in Australia, then the Galston Gorge rd, leading out of Berowra Valley.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
Charlie said:
Baw Baw's already got one......
The main road from Top Carpark to ticket box, 6.5 km!
After a night time dump, before the crew start to clear the road! (about 5 AM, torches mandatory)

You don't know anyone who's ever done that do you?
biggrin.gif

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
The Range road ? that would be okay.

I heard a story once of a guy on a push bike with foot brakes going down there whose chain came off
biggrin.gif
he had a fun ride. This would have been about 25 years ago now.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
I rode down Brown Mountain (NSW) with very dodgy brakes, 15kg of panniers and tent... slipsreaming three mates doing the same... we'd overtake slowmoving farmer's trucks etc... no helmets.

ahhh.. the good ole days.
smile.gif
Got new brake pads a few days later in Bega.
wink.gif

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Principal Douglas

Metal Guy
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
It's not long but the Barry Way in Jindy from the top of the hill down to the Lake would be awesome fun. Not very steep but you could go nice and fast
biggrin.gif

Reactions: Jacko4650

SpeedyPB

Hard Yards
Apr 6, 2004
Wollongong
In the Gong, there is an old mine and dirt tracks behind Tarrawanna, below Broker's Nose. There's a couple of steep bits through there. There is also a fire trail road from Brokers Nose down over the mountain. I'm sure there would be some nice parts through there if it was covered in snow. Mt Keira Road would be another nice run. I should know how steep it is, I ran up a fair way the other week!

On another note, I often look at Mt Keira and Brokers Nose and think how awesome it would be if they were covered in snow!

Podlet

Old n' Crusty
May 28, 2000
Jindabyne
A couple of streets around my area are reasonable, roughly the pitch of Zali's at PB, the bottom bit, and the length of the whole of zali's
biggrin.gif

barclay rd north rocks would be alright, and you could get a lift up the other side and do loops of both sides
biggrin.gif
For those that don't know it, it's a big dipper type of road

hailtobuang

First Runs
Apr 29, 2004
melb
Great city dunedin. I lived just above Baldwin St on Opoho Rd. I remember carrying our shopping up that bl00dy st when the car broke down. Is there snow on the ground now James B?

FallsFreeRider

Hard Yards
Mar 27, 2003

some very good suggestions there, but ive actually done it! when i was in Hakuba a few years ago we were out of bounds in the Saka area at happo and we found ourselves a long way from the resort. so we decided to try and ride back towards the bottom of the mountain, we soon found ourseleves in some guys back yard. you should have seen the look on this J guys face when he was hanging his washing up on the clothes line and to riders came busting out of the trees and into his back yard! so after exchangig some pleasentries we decided to move on, as there had been so much snow the roads had not been cleared so we decided to ride home rather than walk. i reckon we travelled along about 10kms of road, jumping the occassional pot hole. The look on the peoples faces in the cars as we cruised along down the road was priceless (especially the J crew, they didnt know what to think except crazy gaijin). we were laughing so hard it was difficult to stay on our feet. never forget that day. classic

ffr

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using