Road you'd love to see as a ski run.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Telestrom said:
Just thought of another one that is actually possible, rather than pure fantasy, the road from the top of Mt Wellington down to the harbour in Hobart. Close as you'll get to skiing to sea level in Oz.

Ben done a few times. Not all the way to the water, but def down the mT Welli road. There is even a pic somewhere of a guy skiing across the Tasman Bridge.

Bryonski_aka_Bryan said:
Im goin back on vivid memories.. but id have to say The Ladder @ Ben Lomond
what u recon benlomondbrad?

Also been done any times, usually at least once a season. I know a few guys who have done it on mountain boards as well - now that would be a scary experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

krobbo

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2007
Cabarita Beach
SpeedyPB said:
On another note, I often look at Mt Keira and Brokers Nose and think how awesome it would be if they were covered in snow!

We do the same with the looking west to the hills near Gloucester and Barrington and wish they were much higher.

Kangaroo

One of Us
May 30, 2005
Sydney NSW
How about the New England Highway down the Moonbi Range? Illawarra Highway from Robertson to Albion Park?

In Sydney, I'd love Heartbreak Hill, Vaucluse (NSH Road) for its scenery and turns, also Parrawi Road and Spit Road near The Spit for a fast run and Bradley's Head Road down by the Zoo.

Other than roads, there are many golf courses I'd like to see snow covered. Not as much cover needed for a safe ride either.

Cheers

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Yer all a buncha mutts, roads aren't steep enough for skiing, or at least interesting skiing anyway. 10% grade is very steep for a highway but it's just a traverse road or a beginner run at a ski resort.

Although that one James B posted in Dunedin looks OK. There are a couple of residential streets in Gibsons, BC that have 21% signs posted on them, I wonder if the locals have given them a slide on the odd snowy day? Very close to sea level so it would be rare that they'd get enough cover in one dump before the ploughs cleared them.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
Found these pics of skiing on the Dunedin roads a few days ago:

3077c127afdcf285defe.jpeg

203b24aceffb5e4b0927.jpeg

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
One of my father's claims to fame was that he followed closely behind Glen Plake on a ski run - on the road from Village Chair at Hotham to the Arlberg

ssar

One of Us
Jul 17, 2005
Newcastle, NSW
Hmm, I have often fantasized about skiing the southern side approach to the Mooney Mooney bridge on the F3 Freeway north of Sydney, if it were mightily covered in snow.

It's not that long tho.

There are some nice routes around the Barrington Tops..
- The eastern climbs of "Barrington Tops Forest Road"
- The "Carey's Peak Trail" from the Allyn River area up

sparxx

First Runs
Oct 13, 2003
Sydney
Some great ideas here. Love Mt Ainslie to the War memorial - straight down. I think the Black Mountain road would be good too.

Locally for me:

Alison Road Randwick from the Coach and Horses. Should be a t-bar up from the start of Richardson Ave, but if you get enough speed, shouldn't be a problem!

Also Carrington Road from Carr St Coogee - short but fast.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Reefton Spur
eek.gif

The C511 in this pic. About 35 kms of some of the wildest road that snow could ever cover!!!

ReeftonSpur.jpg

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Hey Carvit.

Mate for me Bulli pass also gets a nod.So many banks to hit all the way down. Massive berm on the elbow.All good. Except the flat middle section. Maybe we could put a tow in?

Not sure if crew on here know Mt Ousley or not- but about 8 years ago someone bombed down Mt Ousley on a longboard(skateboard). 3am or so in the morning.
He was doing 80-90kmh or so the story goes.
Mt Keira/Kembla mountain bike trails and the old uni track all would be fun in fresh

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
All the roads look flat.
They ARE flat - at least for skiers. Blue runs fall within the 25-45% grade range. Even the steepest billygoat road you could think of wouldn't exceed 20% for more than a few metres. Highways generally don't exceed 10% grade, and 7-8% is steep enough to receive warning signage and brake check areas.

I guess a nice base with a few cm of fresh on top would ski OK on Dunedin's infamous Baldwin St where the pitch reaches 35% for a few metres. Still just a fall line blue run though. A couple of good 'uns on the Sydeny northern beaches would go ok, again residential streets.

The highway mountain passes, meh, too flat. More than 5 cm of new and you'd be walking. Unless you took the direct fall line route and cut across the roadway every time it crossed. Macquarie Pass would be sporty...

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
Monaro highway coming/skiing into Canberra. Feels like a very long gentle gradient of a descent. Would be hours and hours of ski.

Hanz Onyawaif

One of Us
Jul 25, 2014
I was gonna say Spit rd in Mosman but Annabuzzy beat me to it but I want to add a launch over the opening Spit bridge! Riverview street in Lane Cove is short but very steep in a couple of places and you can attack it from both ends.

Reactions: Cecret Skier

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
Ooh yes. Steep and deep!
And since we're on that side of the harbour...how about David St, Clifton Gardens. IIRC that one is steep AF

Based on the effort it seems to take me to get up it, that is definitely the steepest in the area. Short though. Pitch on bike/ in car obviously very different to what's fun on skis.

I like the idea of any of the Gorges further north (Bobbo/Galston/Berowra). I think they're all about 200m of vertical so just about getting long enough. No way we're sticking to the meandering green cat tracks that we ride up and down though! Straight down the fall line through the trees on skis!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
My home street is much longer and steeper than the Poma lift at Dinner Plain is .People whinge that it is cold in Melb. in winter. Poppicock! If it was properly cold and the street could be closed off from cars then I would just ski down my own street and not bother with driving to the snow half the time !.
Imagine if you could set up a portable rope tow and all !

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
According to wiki Baldwin St in Dunedin is the steepest street in the world at 19 degrees. That is a steep green. Blues normally start at a bit more than 20 degrees.

I think a bit of creative license is required. The typical road is like the easy green run home nobody skis. The fun is to identify the fall line in between your favourite road switching back and forth that you'd actually ski....!

Conkers

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2020
Thunderbolt way would be fun (going by the glowing brake rotors), otherwise get some skins and head along the great Ocean road for a few days. Nice thread revival BTW!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass