1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Rockhoppers

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by dragasevich, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dragasevich

dragasevich First Runs

Hey Guys
    I know there are about 1000 topics at the moment with people asking what ski's they should buy, so this is just another one.

Im 6'1 and weight about 75kg.
    Was in Whistler over the summer around christmas time for a few months and picked up a pair of the 07 Public Enemy's size i think 182?

I was looking at getting a pair of used or ex-demo ski's for just thrashing around at buller that i dont really care about as much.

What do you guys recommend?
    I am looking for a twin tip as i will try and get into the park abit. and do you think that length is good (182)?
    Where are the best places to look? eBay? any shops in melbourne?
    Im a intermediate-advanced skier as i can ski all blacks and most double blacks.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks.

2. cs3

cs3 First Runs

The old Candides are pretty fun and cheap if you can find an unused pair. They were pretty easy to get a year or so ago, not sure about now.

3. tcross

tcross One of Us

ebay for beater skis

4. Hilo's alter ego

Hilo's alter ego First Runs

I have to confess I'm a little confused. You bought some twin tips presumably to ski in the park and pipe (the K2's) so why would you want to get another pair of skis to do exactly the same thing? Pipes and parks typically won't be open until there's a decent base, and in any event since you'll be grinding the bases and edges over a whole range of man made objects it doesn't seem to me to be sensible to worry about scratching them.

As for rock hoppers, I'd suggest just picking up something completely different, maybe a mid fat or even a carve ski, just for something completely different. Or maybe even an old straight ski. I was oddly jealous of the people dragging out their straight skis as rock hoppers last year in the dud season; I wished I had some myself.

5. Nick P

Nick P First Runs

2.0 metre straight skis! Nothing shorter. :thumbs:

6. Porkypine

Porkypine First Runs

I was gonna say something but then I just thought I'd leave it at :goose:

#6 Porkypine, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. 4frntskier

4frntskier First Runs

Firstly, if your looking for a cheap second hand ski, you can't decide what you want, and then go looking for it. You'll just have to see what pops up.

Size wise, 180 is a good length. I think your PEs might be 179. You could probably afford to go up to 20cms shorter (depending on preference) with your rock hoppers, as your not going to need a long ski for rails/rocks/sword fights etc

8. Hilo's alter ego

Hilo's alter ego First Runs

Excuse me for answering a question.

I still don't see why he needs two pairs of twin tips. Twin tips by their nature are made to be abused.

9. 4frntskier

4frntskier First Runs

I'll disagree with you there buzzy. Twin tips aren't made to be abused, it's just that what they're usually used for causes them to get banged up. Twins are generally less durable than carvers so IMO that's a good reason to take more care of them.

Personally I hate the idea of ruining a good pair of twins on rails. That's what the rockhoppers are for.

I always use my good pair for kickers, pipe, piste & BC and that keeps them in good nick.

Just because you can ski backwards on them doesn't mean you should beat the crap out of them.

10. cs3

cs3 First Runs

buzzy has a pretty good point. You can do rails and still ski other places on the same skis. Hard to believe but there you go.

11. Beaker

Beaker First Runs

i have a pair of 2.5 year old 182cm rossi scratch bc with rossi axial 14 bindings, which i hardly ever use anymore. if you wish to buy them, pm me.

if twin tips are not so important i also have 176cm rossi b2s (3.5 years old) which i'd also be willing to part with. let me know.