Question Rookies (Treble Cone) or ITC (Cardrona) instructor course?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by roller8080, Feb 28, 2018.

1. roller8080

roller8080 First Runs

Hi everyone

I am going to take NZSKI Level 1+2 instructor course in NZ in this July
    But cannot decide which training centre to choose...
    I have compared and fouled some, Rookies in Treble Cone and ITC in Cardrona are left
    As everyone knows the slopes in TC are more challenging than Cardrona
    training under such condition can have better improvement
    A guy finished Level 2 in TC recommended me to have training in TC and avoid Cardrona cox the challenging TC and the instructors in Rookies will be better for level 2 exam

Had anyone taken Level 2 training in Treble Cone or Cardrona?
    Is the passing rate in Rookies higher than ITC?

2. weiyan2630

weiyan2630 First Runs

Hi I have attended the 10 weeks training and exam program for snowboarding by ITC in 2016 and worked as professional instructor both in China and New Zealand. Honestly, both ITC and Rookies got some great trainers but ITC got more examiners for NZ system or other systems, or both. So their training resources are more abundant in this sense. Of course, TC got more off piste terrain if you are looking forward to improving your free-riding skills. But Cardrona also has off-piste area where the level 2 exam will be using as well. It is no easier than TC as some people who are trained in TC still failed the free-riding part in the exam. Moreover, Cardrona got the best terrain park in the South Hemisphere. If you are into freestyle, Cardrona is definitely of a better choice. Last but not least, the snow school is awesome at Cardrona. They offer free shadowing opportunities to ITC trainees to learn real teaching from the top instructors of this planet. You will be able to choose to shadow from beginner group class to higher level teaching. I think that will be a great advantage if you want to pass level 2 and walk down the path. As to be fully certified instructor, teaching skills are just as important as your riding skills. Hope it makes sense.

3. GDoran

GDoran First Runs

Hey! I did my level 3 training at Cardrona while my brother did his level 1 & 2. Whichever mountain you go to you’ll be with some of the best trainers in the world!

TC has much steeper terrain but that comes into play for your level 3. Level 1 and 2 courses are run pretty frequently at Cardrona so learning on that terrain is ideal! We had an amazing time and I was lucky enough to receive training from the likes of Dave Taylor (top trainer in NZSIA) and it just changed my skiing completely!

In my opinion Cardrona is much better resort and it all stems from the people. It has, arguably, the best terrain park in the world and you’ll find the likes of James Woods spending his season there flying over the kickers! I loved it so much that I came back 3 years later to work as an instructor along with friends and my brother.

I’m currently working in Japan and the number of people applying for jobs in Cardrona is staggering so if you’re looking to continue as a career in NZ, get your foot into Cardrona!

Tried not to be too biased here but I absolutely love Cardies!

Hope this helps!

4. Joe Harrison

Joe Harrison First Runs

I did level 1 and 2 training and Cardrona and loved it. Every trainer I skiied with was awesome and i learned so much. The mountain is really fun. Cardrona has all the terrain you need to learn the skills you need for your level 1 and 2. You will also get to watch all the top athletes in the world train for the season in the park and pipe and that in itself is an amazing reason to chose cardies. Where else do you get to rub shoulders with olympic athletes pretty much every day?!
    I enjoyed the training so much that i returned the season after to do the level 3 training and work part time. It was anouther fantastic season and the training was of just a high standard as the level 1 and 2.
    Personally after my two seasons training there I would love to go back to Cardrona for many seasons to come.
    I would highly recommend the courses they provide!

5. roller8080

roller8080 First Runs

Wow~ thx guys giving me these opinions
    I guess ITC is more popular in this forum
    cox I have not seen the comments from the ones who took Rookie's course yet
    Freestyle is not my first thing to consider as I want to focus on riding
    I want to improve my skills as much as possible
    I know Cardrona is popular in NZ
    However, the Rookie seems a better option for me.
    Well, it will be great if there are more comments about TC and Rookie

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Talk amongst yourself.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Hard Yards

Reilly McGlashan at the Rookie Academy is a fantastic skier and you could learn a lot if you got to ski with him. He's also an expert bootfitter and can help if you have any problems with your boot setup.

I don't know anything about the coaches at the other school.

8. PJB

PJB First Runs

9. willridesniseko

willridesniseko First Runs

I myself have been to Rookie Academy taking Level 1,2 as well as level 3 ski courses.

During the course, I was skiing/training/networking with some of the best technical skier in the industry from US/AUS/NZ/UK. To be able to partake training with different organisation trainers was a great opportunity to know and understand what good skiing is. Rookie academy focus on your journey to become better skier and instructor through skiing with leaders in different organisation. Rather than focusing on passing a exam alone.

Training @TC is great to challenge your skiing/riding skills. Yes the terrain is more challenging but to be able to ski/ride comfortably in TC means you can comfortably ride Cardrona (which is flat) and all exam terrain there.

10. Campbell

Campbell First Runs

Hi all!

I completed a level 1&2 training program at Cardrona in 2009 and since then have worked all over the world as a ski instructor and I can comfortable say the time I spent training that season was some of the best! So good in fact I still currently work in the ski school there today! The training I received was incredible, the depth of knowledge and experience in Cardrona’s training staff is vast. The trainers there not only help prepare you for your exams but they also help prepare you for the real world of teaching! The ITC trainers are all current NZSIA/SBINZ examiners and they all also work in the ski school, so are still in touch with how real lessons work on a day to day basis. The trainers also genuinely care if you reach your goal by the end of the training program you attend. Not to mention you will be training on the same terrain the exam is run on ( doesn’t seem like much but if a nice advantage). But ultimate for me what made and still makes in my opinion Cardrona the best is the people! The other trainies, trainers and the general vibe on the hill is amazing! No day is a dull day!

11. Gimp

Gimp One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Geez, I think the Russians are here

12. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I smell something.

13. roller8080

roller8080 First Runs

Thanks all the comments so much!!!!

14. Hollyo

Hollyo First Runs

Hey,
    I trained with ITC in 2016 and loved it, I thought the training was great and I absolutely love the resort atmosphere and people.
    For the level 1 and 2 I think the terrain at Cardrona has a lot to offer, you'll spend a while perfecting those wedge turns and basic parallels too! Also a fun bonus is you now have the Gondola for those bad weather days :p. There is suitable terrain for the higher end of level 2 skiing so I didn't have any qualms there. Although if all you want to do is ski off piste then TC will have more to offer you (although you'll be needing to be on piste for nearly all of the exam tasks).
    TC is a really fun place to ski and I appreciate it's got some awesome terrain... but from a perspective of choosing ITC and then experiencing TC afterwards I would still choose Cardrona if I were to do it over again, I was really satisfied by the training and atmosphere at Cardrona, and if you're keen on getting in the park it's definitely the one to go for.
    Hope that helps, and good luck! Either will be awesome :)
    P.S I have passed this on to a friend who took the Rookies course so hopefully he'll write something so you can get a more even perspective.

15. roller8080

roller8080 First Runs

Thank you so much!
    About the atmosphere of Cardy...
    Do u think it is chill and relaxing?
    Thanks again for forwarding this post
    Yes I need more comments

16. Instructor001

Instructor001 First Runs

Hi I trained with Rookie Academy and passed my l1 three years ago at TC, and then trained again with Rookie Academy and passed my l2 at Cardrona.(The exam was held at Cardrona. Here is my thoughts and my experience with TC and Rookie Academy. I hope it will help you to know more about what you want to know!

1. TC.
    To be honest, TC may not have the best day lounge due to the limited space, but TC definitely has the best mountain in South Island in NZ! the vertical and various natural terrains are definitely good for improving your skiing skills, it's true TC does not have that many groomers, but enough for your training, if you check out TC website, and you know it, what I like TC more is its off-piste, it's by far the best, if you just aim at l1, you probably don't need to spend too much time off-piste, but if you go for l2, and 3, your off-skill is definitely a must, and it helps to improve your skiing in general .

TC ski school is also a great place to work at, I've been teaching there for 2 seasons, they have multi-national instructors from countries, such as Austria, U,K, Canada, and US, you have a chance to make friends with the trainers and examiners from OSSV, CSIA, BASI, PSIA, and others. When we don't have to teach, the ski school usually organizes training session for us to ski with these trainers. it's something you don't have in other ski school, or unless you pay lots of NZD for it.

Check this out:
    Benni Walch the youngest trainer and examiner of OSSV, he has the full qualifications to train and exam l3 instructors of OSSV.
    (Benni short turn)

(Guenther Winkel, one of the best trainers and examiners from OSSV) I learned a lot Austrian system from these two guys!

2. Rookie Academy
    Before I took the training course with Rookie Academy, I did exactly what you are doing here- asking peers who have been to Rookie Academy training centers, My goal was to get the instructor certs and ski the best terrain, and more important to meet the top instructor trainers from the world, so I chose Rookie Academy, why, because Reilly and Tom Geillie from APSI, Jonathan from PSIA, JF B and Sunny from CSIA are there, in addition to NZSIA trainers like Josh Duncan-Smith(Demo team Member, Daniel Bouge (NZSIA VP, Demo team member), Brendan Reeve, Emilly( Demo team member), Richie Johnstone (Snowboard demo team member), and others. From this coming winter, you can also meet Maruyama Takao from Japan, these trainers or top skiers will teach on-snow and indoor. This is something you don't have in other training centers! Because these top trainers only teach at Rookie Academy and TC.

To summarize the benfits:
    1. Very professional training on-snow to guarantee a better passing rate!
    Here is a short video to show how Rookie trainers do their job.
    Josh Duncan-smith is traiing the l2 candidates, he is also NZSIA demo team member, while Garett Shore, the founder of Rookie Academy is the Demo Team Captain for the last Interski

2. The indoor sessions are very enlightening for trainees to understand and improve their skiing and teaching better,
    For example:
    1. Awesome teaching by Jonathan Ballou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe-VS4-gq0
    2. Why learning process kinda sucks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDyuGC5Ureo
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5NRf-VyEo In this video, the skiing clips were filmed at TC when Tom went for training with other Rookie Trainers.

3. Passing rate?
    Rookie Academy has excellent trainers, Their passing rate is definitely good, I don't have the ratio about other training centers, but I know 9 out of 10 Candidates from China passed their l2, 4 of them are working for HH Snowsports now.

4. English language learning
    For those international candidates who struggle with English, Rookie Academy offers English lessons, Emily was the language teacher last winter, she is also the trainer for level two groups.

5. Accommodation and transportation

Rookie academy dormitories are all located in the center of Wanaka, cozy environment makes our stay easier so we can focus more on skiing and learning!
    Shuttle buses are always punctual and drivers are always friendly, they are also instructors or ex instructors who trained with Rookie Academy. Brendan, the trainer drove one of the shuttle buses last season, so you alway feel at home everywhere, even on the shuttle bus! :)

6. Job opportunites
    Rookie Academy has branch operations in US, Japan, and China, these operations have formed a very good social network for us instructors, this means more job opportunities, Dean Hunter, ( the God Father, as the TC Austrian instructors call him in a loving fashion) is the key person to talk to, he is the center of the information and connections :)

7. A couple of rookies trainees videos;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sg_xelHnGQ ( Jason got his l2 )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnn2b_qvWg (Momo got her NZSIA l2 and CSIA l3 for skiing part, she will be back to Rookie Academy for teaching part)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0O7w6MkdOQ ( Cui Yajie, trainer with Rookie Academy during 2016 season, he got the top place for short turn, long turn, and mogul for the 2nd technical skiing championship in China
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2s4f16MMXE

Here is a team skiing video I did for Rookie Academy Trainers:
    https://v.qq.com/x/page/m0542ccdhga.html

BTW, my name is Maolin Gu, I'm the founder of HH Snowsports in China, my Wechat ID is hh-ski, if you want to know more information about Rookie Academy, I can get you connected with most of Rookies from China, they all trained with Rookie Academy at TC.

I'm going back to TC to train with Rookie Academy for my l3 in this coming NZ winter, hope to see you there!

Thanks for your patience for reading through this lengthy post!

17. roller8080

roller8080 First Runs

Thank you Maolin for providing so many related videos and opinions!
    I will add you in wechat when I have time!

18. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hey @Richard I hope you're getting a cut of this canned ham.
    Massive case of tldr

Red_switch likes this.
  19. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - 30 Day

WAT DA ACTUAL FUQ

just happened?

20. ALV

ALV First Runs

What about Lvl 3 Training? I guess terrain become quite important too~

21. Sash

Sash First Runs

Am I mad to sit the level 1&2 exams without doing that 10 week training?

It’s $8299 for the course but if you just pay for the exam it’s $720 level 1 and $798 for level 2. That’s a serious difference.

My standard is not amazing and i’m new to park riding but I plan to arrive in queenstown in May and spend the season practicing as the exam isn’t till September.

Question:
    Am I being naive in thinking I can pass the level 1&2 without doing the training course?

22. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

YES.

craighelo, Sash and Red_switch like this.