Route planning help

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Chillybin, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Hi

Any local gurus in Brisbane keen to help a novice backcountry tourer plan a few routes around Honshu. I’ve done my Ast1 out of Whitewater in BC but because of the many skin tracks around and the fact they’re marked on there topo maps it’s almost cheating. I’m hoping someone will be kind enough to “guide” me in the right direction. I’ve marked a couple of what I think are really safe routes but keen to see if I can drop off these ridges etc during decent.

Cheers

Tanuki likes this.
  2. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

If you're new to route planning I would recommend that you sign up for a free trial of mountainhub (used to be called Avanet) - https://app.mountainhub.com

This will let you overlay onto the Japanese topo a 'heat map' that lets you visualise steepness, elevation, aspect or a combination of those three. You can also create a route and it will give you the details including elevation gain/loss, distance and more importantly for you estimated time to ski & climb the route.

Also, here is a better topo map than you may be using - http://maps.gsi.go.jp

Google Earth also provides some good satellite images that may help you decide if that creek line you want to follow may end up in a waterfall or other impassable terrain.

Finding someone in Brisbane to meet up with for a coffee or beer and a laptop to run through stuff in person is a good idea. Hope you find that mentor. Good luck!

Edit: Whilst we're talking about route planning, do you use a phone GPS app like Gaia or backcountry navigator? If so, I made a blog post with a step-by-step for adding the above Japan GSI topo map to gaia, which helps loads when you're out in the field.

3. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Thanks for the info. Everything is a help. I’ve only been using Hillmap which seems really good. I’ll hen use google earth 3D to double check everything. Yes I really hope someone can “mentor” me. I think my routes are a little too conservative. I need to learn from experienced people when it’s safe to drop into valleys etc. obviously I have the basic knowledge from the Ast1 but the real world is where it’s at. I’m doing 3 guided tours before I venture out with my group without a professional guid so I’ll learn what aspects are currently sliding or notorious and avoid those. Snow pit wise I’m a complete novice but fully understand how and why. I know it’s really complex this whole planning thing, but when you are actually in the mountains the safe routes are easy to spot with a little knowledge. Cheers for you help

4. bluestick

bluestick Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

I like Avenza app for offline gps it has lots of international topos it’s simple it works no faffing

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yep.
    You can now download free Vic & NSW topos in various scales in geoPDF or geoTIFF that Avenza can read. Ditto for NZ.

6. rols

rols Active Member

Can Hillmap or MountainHub (or any other site) display slope overlays for Australia?

7. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Mtn hub doesn't do a heat map for Australia, Indonesia, Yukon and northern territories (Canada), Central America and a few other places. Works in NZ, Jp, USA, BC/Alberta, Russia, Alps etc though.

I don't use Hillmap but I would guess it's usefulness will be limited to the areas that it has high quality topo data for (Australia isn't one of them).