1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Route suggestion

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by axellotta, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

http://www.janebunn.net/falls-creek
    Next week looks like more rocks than hopping. I am waiting for a 20 cm snowfall before I pay to ski at Falls/ BHP. Ms.Bunn is not that confident that such a snow fall will arrive by Sat. week. After all it is JUNE!!

2. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There is some excellent advice here for when there is snow on the ground. People like Ziggy and Chaeron know their stuff in this area. Singling them out but not saying the advice offered by others is not good either. If I were doing it this weekend then I probably would just wear hiking boots and put up with the odd bit of slush. 100mm plus at Falls this week. I could wait for the sun to come up and have a look out my window to see how much snow is left but there is little point. It is still raining now. It took us 2 hours to walk from Ropers to Watchbed with full packs and no snow. Our packs were last day light and we powered on to make it to Falls for Lunch. Ropers was morning tea. I think times offered by Chaeron and Ziggy would be right but allow a bit more depending on the experience of the person. Pattern bases are great for the most part but skins will help an inexperienced person no end.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, the slowest is going up the BR firetrail from the BHP road when it's icy. Kicker skins help pattern bases in these conditions (and in general are a great aid).
    ---------
    Old Ropers used to have a few antechinus. They'd come out at night when the lights were turned off. They were noisy and pretty acrobatic - they could get into a pack hung with wire from the ceiling.
    I found that leaving out a little uncooked couscous for them was the go. They'd wolf it down, it would swell up in their bellies and then they'd drag themselves off to their nest to sleep it off.

4. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Well, I’m including cous cous in my Ropers food drop this weekend then...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I thought they had an almost exclusively carnivorous diet?

But I guess most carnivores eat a little plant derived food... unless your antechinus are actually r*ts? :eek:

6. Chaeron

7. Bogong

Pointy face and an especially twitchy disposition usually equals a small marsupial carnivore (dunart, antechinus, etc.)

It's just that while I often hear them or occasionally see them scurrying in the almost dark conditions of a hut, I rarely get a good look at them.

8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Please excuse going off topic a little but I am amazed this thread hasn't inspired an obvious spin off thread.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

At Ropers you'd turn in but have the torch or headlamp ready. When the rustling started, do some spotlighting from your bed. And watch the acrobatics.
    Chaeron, the new Ropers is pretty tightly built - you may miss this entertainment.

Chaeron likes this.
  10. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Trivia - antechinus males die after sex. It is a lot of sex though as they try to mate with every female nearby. Had one (obviously a very fat female) who was quite comfortable with us sitting by the window in the sun at Fitz's hut a couple of years ago. Cleve Cole has many. We normally pull the table off the wall a foot to stop them jumping on it at night. I thought it worked but not sure now.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Well, after taking in the advice here and double checking the cover (or more accurately lack of cover) with FC ski patrol this morning, the trip has been postponed to early July. Fingers crossed we will have 120cm+ by then...

Cheers everyone!

12. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

BTW, has anyone got any photos of the new Ropers? Not much on the interweb that I can find. How many people can comfortably hang out in there at any one time?

13. Chaeron

Depends who sleeps on the floor.

From memory I reckon about 4. Depends on one’s idea of what’s comfortable.

I arrived at dusk one December and 2 blokes had made themselves comfortable- I was just one more person and it was already feeling smaller, so I tented. Felt similar in size to the new Westons.

Photo sourced from here: use fire extinguisher as size reference in wide angle photo.

https://murrayvalleybushwalkers.org...spro/event/2544-ropers-hut-overnight-backpack

Attached Files:

Ziggy likes this.
  14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Must stop meeting like this - people will talk. ( ;-)

Seriously though, you could consider driving another 3-4 hours to Thredbo and head up high from the chair. Best bang for buck for 'high-alpine' touring - ESP. when the snow is poor down south.

It's the same in spring - perhaps more so. The driving distance can be off-putting but in 2-3 hours and for just a 300m climb you can be on top of oz, with runs everywhere.

15. Bogong

I used to know some people that did this on Cup Weekend. Most years there was still plenty of skiable snow high up and because the barbarians in NSW don't celebrate the Melbourne Cup with a four day holiday, the only other people they saw were fellow Mexicans.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have plenty of photos of Roper's hut from over the recent years .
    roper's hut..jpg _SAM4086.JPG ce3003-009.jpg

#66 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    axellotta likes this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Old photos of Ropers New Hut....

Fozzie Bear and snowgum like this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The setting sun reflected in the window of Roper's hut.

Fozzie Bear and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I love the pics & the vibe Steve - gee I miss my high country overnighters since 'child' arrived. Must introduce the big 10-er to overnight walks and huts...(I think I was last at the old Ropers in 86' - it was fairly squishy sleeping 6 -8? But still a great focal spot - ESP after a couple of big day climbing and descending Bogong and the High Plains.

And I love the Bears! I wouldn't say Im a super soft & fuzzy guy but The Bears really add to the vibe.

Thanks for posting Steve and all the good work. One day?

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ropers Hut is in a splendid location...I sometimes go in before winter and cut up all gathered wood in wood shelter just outside hut into bits that can go into wood stove and anything lying on the ground ..and I would often take out some new blades for bush saws..it’s a big day over there...I stay about three hours before I go back to Watchbed creek and vehicle...I used to often get back in dark around 8pm ish...

Not this year ....as snow fall came early and was heavy!

It can be a bit of a fight along that pole line around Nelses in windy or bad conditions.But it’s now a superb hut and can provide a nice base camp for the surrounds over a few days.

The AWT pole line provides safe navigation in bad weather from Watchbed Creek to the hut area.

Anybody going ....take some saw blades ...common sizes...so you can at least cut up some wood fir the stove.

And who ever goes over there needs to alert forum of size of saws and blades required ...making it easier for future travellers to take over that one piece of essential hut euipement.

Certainly the location of Ropers is pleasant...reasonably protected
    from prevailing weather by huge massive out near Timms Lookout and surrounded by a reasonable stand of healthy snow gums.
    It’s certainly in a better position than Edmunsons and has more than a little thicket of trees around it.Ropers Hut seems protected from Sthly outbreaks and from the westerly airflow......

Now ...a warning needs to be made.

Fit and moderately experienced folk have no trouble getting to Ropers Hut from Falls Ck given that they leave early.....however inexperienced ..not so fit parties should be cautioned about making this your goal ....slow moving parties strung out along that pole line can be hypothermia accident just waiting to happen....can get icy up there and lugging packs can be tedious for inexperienced parties ........so folk need to pace themselves.....factor in weather...and remaining time to complete a trip before dark...and monitor condition of all skiers before you go past Edmunsons and over Nelses....once up on that top pole line you have committed your selves !
    Cheers...

Now obviously on good settled days mid winter....the Heathy Spur prepared freeway(groomers) is the shiort cut.
    If the weather is crap. The longer pole line alternative should be considered as a safer option without “anxiety white out problems)

That pic from Mr T of reflected sun on western Ropers Hut Window is so so nice...that also catches the ambience of this place....settled and warm..a real haven physically and mentally out there.