1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ruined Castle

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by tr+h, Aug 12, 2010.

1. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

skied Ruined for the first time this year, very, very early in the season(or was it a pre-season?) It was very lumpy and uneven. It hadn't been groomed and was being carved into a mogal-field by the people on it.

I was wondering what it is normally groomed like ? Flat or lumpy ?

Tried to see from the cams at the moment and it looks flat, but too hard to tell.

2. inky

inky Hard Yards

There are quite a few runs in the Ruined area. In my experience going lookers left to right is South Face (sometimes groomed??), Big Dipper (groomed usually), St Elmo's (bumps usually), Intermediate and Advanced Park (always groomed but not under lift at top), Father Fosters (usually a race line so always groomed), Ruined Castle (always groomed but not full width to Sundown). I think that's it.

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ruined castle is one of the most popular runs on the mountain. when the cover is good the main run is groomed wide daily. it can cut up during the day. it does have tendencies towards ice and sugar.

as cregs said, there are many other lines possible off the lift, some groomed, some not

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I skied Scotts/RC in mid-late July (just before & after the first decent snowfall).

Prior to the dump getting to RC was a challenge (downloading via Scotts) and the amount of terrain open on RC was limited.

After the dump, Scotts was open but turned into a mogul field in no time at all. Father Fosters was ungroomed & moguled. RC and around to the left (from the top) was groomed. The biggest contributor to the moguls was the number of people overly keen to cut some turns when very little else was open.

On the other side, St Elmos is never groomed, South Face does get the occasional groomer (there is an anchor point at the top near some signage), Boomerang appeared from a distance to have been groomed however it was more like anyone who had skied the run had stuck to a 3 m wide track and off to either side it was still treacherous as it was loose snow over undergrowth with no base.

5. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

I've been skiing Falls for over a decade, but still I struggle to define some of the named 'runs' around RC.

St Elmos I consider to be the short and steep drop through moguls directly under the chair. To the south is the Big Dipper which I consider to be where the former T-Bar was sited.

Somewhere in the vicinity is "D#ick's Folly*", which seems is only mentioned on older trail maps.

*EDIT : Auto censor tells me I cannot write the actual name of this run (I assume named after a chap called "Richard"), hence the insertion of the hash

6. currawong

D1ck Humphreys was chief engineer with the lift co for many years. he still lives in the valley. i haven't seen him skiing this year, but he was last year. IIRC the run was the line between the 2 rocky outcrops to skiers' right of the cornice

7. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Old_ski_maps

[​IMG]

#7 VSG, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. currawong

can't see it on that map. but this one from the same source shows it
    [​IMG]

#8 currawong, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sad but true - I think the last time I skied Falls, Headwater Poma up the top was still there!

10. currawong

what's saddest about those maps is all the runs that had half-baked snowmaking on them that now have none.

i particularly miss the snowmaking that was under eagle chair (not shown). used to be good skiing there in lean years

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Now that map brings back some memories. Beats me why the village T was removed though (I thought it was removed when the summit quad went in).

12. currawong

they kept it for a few years after summit chair went it.

Removing the lift did open things up a bit on village, but overall i think it was a dumb move. village t could run when summit was on wind hold. so can gully. between them that's a lot of extra terrain on a windy day.