Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
7F2D1A2C-F92F-427B-B1B5-D4265E5E78AC.png

Reactions: ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
I would think that's the second front passing over Adelaide today, the first one mainly affecting areas to the south of the airport.

We had a few gusts of wind, some small hail and a few rumbles of thunder, one of which was the deep booming, thudding kind which sent the cat from my arms to underneath table in the lounge room which in her mind was the safer option!

The rumbling of the thunder with a few flashes of lightning reminded me of winter storms in the 70's when I was a kid, cowering under the quilt in the night with only a small tunnel for air to get in. I overcame my fear of thunderstorms when I began to record the thunder on a tape recorder in the mid to late 70's.

Anyway, today's storm was a good winter lock down storm where we didn't have to go anywhere to witness it.

Looks to be a second line of rain coming in over St Vincent Gulf atm.

Jul 19, 2019
Reynella, South Australia
wow, what a refreshingly savage piece of work this is .
about time the weather flashed its bollocks.
not a lot in the raingauge, 4.5mm, but i no complain.
best of the season yet and the big broad backstage is
still clearing her throat.
aaaaand its bloody cold too, this is turning out to be a
good winter, a few more weeks of this and it will be a
great winter but just because i'm happy doesn't mean
i'm satisfied... yet, come the midnight hour and ill be
crying for more more more. :)

TH

Parklife

Early Days
Jan 23, 2021
Hazelwood Park
Yes nice thunder and lighting accompanying the light hail and heavy rain approx 12:30. Total for July so far 106mm, well beyond the average BoM station July average of 78.8mm. We are now getting decent runoff so the reservoirs will be filling without the need to draw from the Murray.

Reactions: wernerk

Parklife

Early Days
Jan 23, 2021
Hazelwood Park
114.9mm at Fairview Park for me so far, unsure as to what station to compare it against - Parafield (58mm) or the City (68mm).
Yes the NE suburbs have done well, I have been working at Banksia Park and its been noticeably wetter. Banksia Park does have a BoM weather station just below Pertaringa oval but you can't access the data, closest with data is Upper Hermitage 2.4km away or Inglewood 4.2km away. I guess it also depends on where in Fairview Park you are as it is a reasonable size burb. Upper Hermitage would probably be a little wetter due to its elevation, but I think it would be a better fit that Parafield.

If you go to the link below and complete your location you can pick your closest.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/index.shtml
FP.PNG

Gary Smith

Early Days
Dec 4, 2020
Fairview Park
Yes the NE suburbs have done well, I have been working at Banksia Park and its been noticeably wetter. Banksia Park does have a BoM weather station just below Pertaringa oval but you can't access the data, closest with data is Upper Hermitage 2.4km away or Inglewood 4.2km away. I guess it also depends on where in Fairview Park you are as it is a reasonable size burb. Upper Hermitage would probably be a little wetter due to its elevation, but I think it would be a better fit that Parafield.

If you go to the link below and complete your location you can pick your closest.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/index.shtml
FP.PNG
Thanks heaps. We are around 250mtrs directly north of the Golf Course.

Reactions: Parklife
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

betsuin

Hard Yards
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
I was driving to work when the main front hit.
That was a bit exciting. Lots of branches down on Magill Rd which myself and another guy were pulling off of the road. Astounding how most just drove around them.
A fantastic bolt of lightning on my 2pm, repeated pulses several times a pause and then one big final bolt, the thunder came very soon afterwards :cool:
Have yet to check the rain gauge, I'll do that in the morning.

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Since last Tuesday, I've recorded 0.2+1.8+13.9+5.2+10.9 = 32.0mm resulting in 84.1mm for July so far. YTD now sitting on 274.6mm, the second wettest YTD for 2015-2021. Only 2016 was higher with 377.1mm at end of July.
Have had 22 days in July where there was some precipitation in the gauge, although 2 readings could have been from dew rather than rain. 22/25 = very wet July!

Adelaide Airport July total = 77.0mm which is above July average and YTD 256.2mm.

Had one of them thar gusty thunderstorms last night, sometime between 11pm & midnight. Only 1 rumble heard though, but plenty of short term wind.

Reactions: skifree

Parklife

Early Days
Jan 23, 2021
Hazelwood Park
Thanks heaps. We are around 250mtrs directly north of the Golf Course.
Nice spot, definitely the Hermitage stats then. Particularly the higher elevation areas of Fairview Park, Banksia Park, TTG and Vista have that extra drop of precipitation. All of those burbs though are going through a regeneration, a pity areas of them were originally built so cheaply, poor sewer, road pavements and overhead electrical/telecommunications a particular issue.

Emptied out a further 14.5mm, as TH indicated this negative IOD delivers the goods, same as 2016 as Werners stats point to.

Jul 19, 2019
another wonderfully miserabe damp day here as most
elsewhere near adelaide.
11.0mm since the start of all this tripe yesterday morning.
not the wettest system to have passed over us but like i say
if its going to be winter then it might as well be winter
properly. to quote TS... the event was 'EPIC'.
defiantly a good weekend to have a lockdown.

TH

Reactions: betsuin and skifree

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Another 1.9+0.1+4.0mm brings the July TD total to 90.1mm, our wettest month this year. YTD 280.6mm.

Airport July TD 82.4mm & YTD 261.6mm.

A bit more from today's short, sharp, narrow rainband and that may well be it for July 2021.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DFEC6FDB-72EA-4DD8-81A9-6E32ECFCBE56.jpeg

Exeter gauge for July & YTD.

Passed the rough BOM yearly average for our area after 7 months but mostly in July.

Reactions: betsuin

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Only managed to squeeze another 1.4mm out of the gauge bringing my July total to 91.5mm & YTD 282mm.

Airport as a comparison July total 83.8mm & YTD 263mm.

betsuin

Hard Yards
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
5.5mm in my gauge out of today's showers.
Pretty much exactly 1 week since the previous bang! slam! front; - again I was driving to work in pelting rain. No lightning this time though. Smaller branches down on the road.

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Just cracked the 300mm mark for the year with 22.8mm for the first 6 days of August & YTD 304.8mm.

Airport as a comparison 18.0mm & 281.0mm respectively.

Not much forecast for the next week, so the total accumulation will slow down a bit.

Going up my property tomorrow to check the rainfall for the last 4 weeks. I'm hoping to have to empty some water from the outer cylinder of the Nylex 1000 :)

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Just cracked the 300mm mark for the year with 22.8mm for the first 6 days of August & YTD 304.8mm.

Airport as a comparison 18.0mm & 281.0mm respectively.

Not much forecast for the next week, so the total accumulation will slow down a bit.

Going up my property tomorrow to check the rainfall for the last 4 weeks. I'm hoping to have to empty some water from the outer cylinder of the Nylex 1000 :)
Ended up I had to empty water from the outer cylinder twice(!) as the total for the preceding 4 weeks was 54mm!!! Very good for a rain shadow location.

The country was green on the drive there and to Victor on Sunday. Makes one feel good when most of the year it is brown.

Between now and end September is a good time for a drive around the countryside especially when the margarine fields start blooming yellow adding a contrast to the green fields.

betsuin

Hard Yards
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
Dang it! That rain band sure missed!
I should have cycled.

Nonetheless some gaugings - Clare 0.6, Roseworthy 0.4
Coonawarra looks the winner at 2.6
I'd have thought something a little better in places looking at the radar today.

betsuin

Hard Yards
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
I found 4mm in my gauge a bit earlier and it has rained a bit more since.
I was out and about today and the coldness when those thick heavy clouds passed over head was very noticeable.

Seems the monster sits some 1000s of klicks to the south, we are just getting the dribs & drabs..

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.22.31 pm.png

Last edited:

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I know it is early Spring; however, something tells me that the initial 'wetter than average spring' for the SE of Australia has all but evaporated - that is if the Southern half of SA is included in that.

Any particular something?

Jul 19, 2019
I know it is early Spring; however, something tells me that the initial 'wetter than average spring' for the SE of Australia has all but evaporated - that is if the Southern half of SA is included in that.
your right gary, not looking good at the moment, fine days ahead for the
next couple of weeks, hopefully this will be just a lull at the end of winter transition.
and talking about the end of winter it certainly came to an abrupt halt right
on or near enuff to the "official" seasonal changeover, a long time since i've
seen that. plenty of time left for some wet juicy storms to grace our doorstep.
most times storms will come in a seasonal block of anywhere from 2 to 8
weeks and that block can occurr anywhere from the beginning of spring to
the end of autmn.
the best block for storms to occurr IMO is from the middle of dec. on right in the guts of summer.... for me anyway.

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Lightning visible, thunder heard & big drops of rain at Mannum :) Storms in various directions, may have an incoming looking at the radar atm.
Edit : and as predicted, it fell apart once it neared Mannum while flashes were going off to the south & north with the occasional rumble from a storm to the north.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peli89 and skifree

Booyoolee78

First Runs
Jun 2, 2021
Many farming areas getting desperate for rain now, with no decent system still on the horizon. A really dissapointing start to spring given the forecasts that so many croppers have pinned their hopes on, and spent up big to capitalise on. Can anyone see some reprieve on the way??

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass