Day to Day SA & Adelaide weather

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Received 0.2mm rainfall in the gauge on 26/4/22.

If these clouds aren't going to drop some rain (>1mm), I wish that they would rack off as there are a couple of interesting planetary conjunctions happening this week.

Is the system which is supposedly going to deliver some rain on Friday going to come from the west or the east?

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FarmWeather

Addicted
Nov 26, 2020
Rogue
9F805558-2B9F-4751-AB50-60052DD33E41.png

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Well chances of seeing anything remotely to a thunderstorm down this way could come very early tomorrow with some what alright amount of rain going by weatherzone app coming on Tuesday with 5-10 mms followed up by the lesser amounts of 1-5mms

Although this could scale further back if the incoming high pressure ridge forecasted to be over WA on Tuesday comes in earlier it may very well mean either another lengthy dry period or a period where its only drizzle that tapers off to nice days and cold nights

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
The rogue storm actually happened. About 11.30 2 mm thunda few bolts was almost spot on unreal. Few dribs and drabs next week another 3 to 4 in total I’m talking will seed on
Guess my post from 5:54pm yesterday arvo about chance of any storm activity happening being in early morning was spot on unfortunately it only dropped a meager 5.9 mms so pretty much not season breaking at all with as you mentioned FW dribs and drabs for next couple of weeks

I am more leaning towards our season down here in the LSE breaking anywhere between May 21 and 27 with either a significant rainfall event or severe weather event that brings heavy rainfall and damaging winds in the one go at night

Reactions: Seabreezes
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Have just revisited the forecast for this week using BOM and Weatherzone it seems that mother nature is going to have a case of the chills for this week aside from tomorrow being 20 as well as Tuesday being pretty much same with Wednesday forecasted to have Thunderstorms with small hail before it all clears out late Saturday ahead of a fine day both Sunday/Monday

At this stage I am not getting over excited as rainfall totals going by BOM roughly will equate to about 1-8 mms unless you get under a decent heavy shower or cold air storm on Wednesday and Thursday then chances of having anywhere between 10-15 or about 20 mms increases greatly

I am also keeping an eye on next weeks rainfall outlook as it has Saturday 14/05/2022 projected to get anywhere between 5-10 mms before tapering off on Sunday 15/05 to less than 1 mm although the synoptic chart has a cold front coming through early this week another strong high pressure ridge appears to be following up right behind it

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
our first decent blast of winter hopefully cleared enough to not screw up this saturday too much.

TH
its gonna be cold enough to bring some small hail on Wednesday and Thursday down here although the thunderstorms are only going to be cold air garden variety kind so best to enjoy tomorrows low 20's sunny weather before rain and colder temps set in until at least early next week

The rainfall amounts for next week have tapered off with 5-10 mms being predicted Friday followed by between 1-5 for Saturday/Sunday before a break on Monday with Nil chance of less tha 1 mm then pretty much same stock standard minimal rain for rest of this month

Parklife

Hard Yards
Jan 23, 2021
Hazelwood Park
Looks like the last day for shorts and t shirt. EC and Access-G looking similar for Adelaide, on our doorstep accumulated rainfall until Friday of 30-40, but the forcefield kicking in for 5-10 for the city and plains. GFS allowing a touch more inland penetration with 15-20mm for Adelaide. Combustion heater ready to go, first carton of stout programmed for 3 weeks time, red tins until then.

Reactions: ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Looks like the last day for shorts and t shirt. EC and Access-G looking similar for Adelaide, on our doorstep accumulated rainfall until Friday of 30-40, but the forcefield kicking in for 5-10 for the city and plains. GFS allowing a touch more inland penetration with 15-20mm for Adelaide. Combustion heater ready to go, first carton of stout programmed for 3 weeks time, red tins until then.

I did buy a carton of stout today, but I'm not holding my breath on the cool change, I've been let down too many times before.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Coopers or Southwark? I'm an old Southwark Stout fan, still annoyed that my favourite beer Southwark Premium was discontinued a decade or so ago.
Pirate Life, see beer thread.

Both your choice stouts are excellent.

Reactions: Parklife

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
First taste of a decent cold snap tomorrow and Thursday although BOM has scaled back on its forecast for tomorrow with possible small hail in arvo/evening instead of thunderstorms and small hail but that comes through Thursday morning when I'm working out in it unfortunately :rolleyes:

Looking at next weeks rainfall outlook on WZ it still has the LSE penned in for 5-10 mms on Friday then 1-5 Saturday this comes right after days of 17,18,20,20 so pretty much fine weather before another cold front hits, although it's a bit hard to tell if the next front will be strong or weak as daytime temps for 13th, 14th and 15th are still looking to be a fairly mild 18 degrees in stark contrast to what's coming Thursday and Friday

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

betsuin

Addicted
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
Well, there is something coming:

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 8.13.33 pm.png

I'd suggest a brief frontal burst of rain and then so called shot-gun weather.
Hopefully a friendly stream or three.

rolling thunder

First Runs
Apr 14, 2022
Yeah good call on what to expect with this system Betsuin, have been keeping an eye on that front all day long on Satpic seeing if it would potentially spawn any storms ahead of it or along it, but it seems we will miss out on that. Looking forward to a few days of bone chilling winds and on and off showers, ramping up in intensity for a few hours each day i imagine as synoptic has a few troughs developing around the deepening low which will give SA a flick.

Reactions: betsuin

FarmWeather

Addicted
Nov 26, 2020
Bit of hail maybe but not much precipitation. Don’t mind Southwark stout either. One of thectassie stouts is a beauty haven’t had it for a while just can’t remember if it’s cascade or boags

Reactions: Parklife

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
2.0 mms recorded today but a huge flop in terms of anticipated small hail adding in BOM has removed thunderstorms off its forecast despite weatherzone having them forecasted for 9 am till 6pm tomorrow night apart from that nothing really much to get overhyped about unless we were all in Tassie of which is going to get smashed by this cold front

As far as next week goes going by latest 36 hour synoptic chart on BOM there's a high pressure centered over the top of SA with a strength of 1037hpa but another low is coming in from WA at same time its hpa pressure unknown the question will be if it has enough strength to break through the high pressure ridge of which will be keeping SA dry

betsuin

Addicted
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
Geez - you are all missing out!
Fred In'kum, I had a tornado here! Grape-fruit sized hail and fish!
The clouds parted and a mermaid drifted down and I got a kiss :)
Please don't tell my wife, what ever!!!

The rain gauge of course does have something in it but I'm yet to get out and have a look, just waiting for that tornado to go away ;-)

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Grand total of 10 mms today in the rain gauge and another massive flop with no small hail or thunderstorms even present down here just solid gentle downpours enough to wet the soils for farmers ahead of hopefully a bumper crop growing season aside from the rain were currently down to an outside temperature of 6.4 degrees so a cold night ahead

As for next week not sure what to make of this setup I've just looked at on BOM synoptic charts even though its still 4 days out from it happening its got a cold/warm front combination with hpa of 994 although our main dominant feature will be the high pressure of 1031hpa centered just off Victoria coast giving some sunshine to Tasmania

Synoptic chart update.jpg

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Another 4.7 mms today in the rain gauge taking our 2 day total up to 14.7mms some reasonable moisture to soften up any potential planting ground but unfortunately this system failed to deliver on forecasted small hail due to the daytime temp remaining a stable 15 degrees although the gentle downpours were quite refreshing

I've rechecked the 4 day synoptic chart FW it seems that visible warm/cold front that was showing up last night has been bulldozed by the big assed ridge though there appears to be a little bit more rain late next week but not the anticipated 5-10 mms more like 1-5 this could potentially mean another high pressure system is coming up behind these cold fronts that are clipping SA

Another point to mention is daytime temps are remaining consistent in the high teens much likened to 2016 when we had our last negative IOD and that big weather event that knocked out SA's power for 24 hours

Parklife

Hard Yards
Jan 23, 2021
Hazelwood Park
17.5mm all up, models spot on with nothing dramatic in the next 7 days locally, although the upper Darling catchment could get an unseasonal deluge.

Weird that we get some posting totals but when you go to see location its not listed. My location is Hazelwood Park, small suburb with a couple of hundred houses, nice Korean restaurant, people a bit pretentious but I'm just a **** originally from Elizabeth so I guess that would explain my observation. I guess the point is stating your rough location clearly does not intrude privacy, it just makes it easier to know where the rain is falling.

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Recorded another 0.3mm on 1/5, then my partner did the obs recording 2.5mm on 4/5 & 7.75mm on 5/5.
Was playing dodgem coldies on Thu around midday when I arrived back from Ceduna on Rex.
Friday morning I found 5.7mm and this morning another 1.6mm in the gauge.
Rain is coming in drips & drabs, but better than nothing.
May to date total 17.8mm if my maths is correct.

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
The seasonal break may come earlier than expected although I say this with abundance of caution going by the updated synoptic chart but keeping in mind this may change in next 36 hours

It appears that the current big butted high ridge is off to NZ around late Wednesday evening what's interesting to note is that our rain won't be coming from the west like usual but actually QLD as result of the rainfall event they are experiencing of which I might add travelling this far down is almost unheard so close to winter

Things may or may not ramp up pending on positioning/strength of a trough and cold/warm front inbound from WA and positioned over the bight Thursday at 10pm as pressure in this combined front/trough is just below 1000hpa sitting prettily at 997 although upon looking at the short term synoptic chart it has the cold front at 992-1000hpa

In short were either going to have a whole lot of rain coming from 2 fronts or just a whole bunch of wet and soggy days where we get anywhere between 2-20 mms

Synoptic chart update.jpg

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
Reynella, South Australia
so from the initiation of this last system up till now
a total of 27.0mm all up.
22.0mm up to thursday night and another 5.0mm
from thurs until now.
much better than i expected which was around
5-10mm.
still a ways off but could be up for another liquid
day or two next weekend.
a break doesn't necessarily have to come with a
whoop and bang... more likely for s.a. it will come with a
whimper and sniffle, dribs and drabs, bits and pieces,
odds and ends.... you can dig it.
what that also means is we'll get an indian summer
with the consistancy of the scrapings off the bottom
of a cockys cage.

TH

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
5&1/2 in the Exeter gauge this morning.

Looks like things will dry up over the next few days. The evap rate will take care of that pesky rain we had.

I hope we get your whole lot of rain @Robbie0404

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
what that also means is we'll get an indian summer
with the consistancy of the scrapings off the bottom
of a cockys cage.
The thought of an indian summer is definitely plausible Thunda given how our consistent day time temps are hovering in the mid to high teens this would be worth keeping an eye on going into winter as we could well see a repeat of 2016 or something much different altogether

I hope we get your whole lot of rain @Robbie0404

At this point of time its best to take next system with a grain of salt skifree as I've just looked at the rainfall outlook on my weather apps which have dialed back on the inital 10-20 back to 5-10 and 1-5 mms for late week/weekend with a possibility it will be scaled back even further to less than 1 mm or possibly upped to original totals but we'll find out soon enough

• Sad
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass