Day to Day SA & Adelaide weather

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
according to the news tonight...
WE'RE ALL DOOMED.
all i can say is "about time, bring it on"...

TH
Not sure were all doomed Thunda although its going to be one wild ride at the moment there's no actual time frame for when the worst of it will happen although I'm leaning towards late arvo/early evening when we'll see the full force so wouldn't be surprised if BOM puts out a severe weather warning for damaging winds as early as Monday morning for most areas of SA

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
Reynella, South Australia
yes robbie, we're all gunna die... sooner or later one day.
the best/worst of this system is due to come through
between 3am and 9am monday.
you might be a bit out of the loop though... you'll get some good
stuff but maybe not as hard core as north of victor habour/keith.
the event will tell the story

TH

Last edited:
Reactions: skifree

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
there's a big ugly thug in the bight wielding a nw Mjollnir.
will we get a carpet bombing of sparks or will the
forcefield reign supreme?
one way or another this thing is going to grab us by the
scruff of the neck and bitch slap us straight into winter.
timing is basically perfect too with the official start to winter
only a couple of days away as well.

TH

• Haha
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Middle and far coastal part of SA are now under severe weather warning for damaging winds later today whilst LSE will get some good garden variety severe weather we'll miss out on everything that will smack us hard into winter so for Today were looking at mostly cloudy and a top of 15 degrees

I am keeping a closer eye on Tuesday as wz and bom are both in agreeance with gusty winds and small hail for the LSE so an outside chance we may get a severe weather warning for damaging winds on Tuesday as that low crosses the coast into Victoria

there's a big ugly thug in the bight wielding a nw Mjollnir.
will we get a carpet bombing of sparks or will the
forcefield reign supreme?
one way or another this thing is going to grab us by the
scruff of the neck and bitch slap us straight into winter.
timing is basically perfect too with the official start to winter
only a couple of days away as well
If this current weather event that has hit and miss can penetrate the forcefield surely big ugly thug in the bight wielding a nw Mjoonir as you put it Thunda will do same thing although round 2 may predominantly give areas like the LSE and KI a taste of hardcore severe winter weather that this current event is going to pound Adelaide, Murray Lands, Mount Lofty and so on with

Given its early days it may pay to look into it a bit further and see how it will carpet bomb us with sparks

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
just give me a minute while i extract my tongue from my cheek.
i think they will be safe robbie...
i just emptied my raingauge since that last system went through.
the last time i checked was 5pm wed. with 12.6mm, didn't empty it...
it had 18.8mm in it, thats another 6.2mm, lotsa drizzle and small
light showers to make that up, certainly has been damp for that
whole time. now it can get wet.
a rapidly thickening, enlarging and intensifying blob ahead of the
main cloudband being squeezed like a wet sponge coming
straight for us. looks to be about 2½ - 3hrs away for me. by the tine it
gets here it could well be half the size of ep.

TH

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
couple of things interesting note here...
iv'e omitted the lightning for clarity,
the thin red lines and the narrowness of the main trough line
indicates its sharpness and would imagine it would have a
high trashability factor. it also appears that the worst of it may
slip above adelaide.
there would of course be a temperature drop behnd this front but
the nthe thin narrow line approaching ceduna deliniates another
micro cold front/ front edge of the coldpool proper and would
expect a sharp temperature drop as it crosses ceduna aws, this
line also shows the sharpness of the system.
the blob is increasing...

TH

weather 290522.JPG

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
couple of things interesting note here...
iv'e omitted the lightning for clarity,
the thin red lines and the narrowness of the main trough line
indicates its sharpness and would imagine it would have a
high trashability factor. it also appears that the worst of it may
slip above adelaide.
there would of course be a temperature drop behnd this front but
the nthe thin narrow line approaching ceduna deliniates another
micro cold front/ front edge of the coldpool proper and would
expect a sharp temperature drop as it crosses ceduna aws, this
line also shows the sharpness of the system.
the blob is increasing...

TH

weather 290522.JPG
That's quite an impressive colorful map Thunda my wireless weather station has registered a sharp drop in barometric pressure from just over 1000hpa early today to just .4 shy of 995.0 hpa even so something is definitely going to spank us right royally down here in the Lower South East

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Exeter gauge started capture of the rare & elusive rain drop at 1700. :)

FarmWeather

Addicted
Nov 26, 2020
North West flow occurring at the moment.
Started raining a couple of hours ago here, pretty much on sun-down.
Looks like a nice swirl forming looking at the Him8 pic:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 7.56.22 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.30.20 pm.png

Edit: And a bit later - bit of a hook developing I'd suggest..
What’s link for these images

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Seems like its my turn to cop a shellacking from this weather event as a severe weather warning has just been issued like 11 minutes ago for the Lower South East my location being Kalangadoo is practically in the firing line as were in between Mount Gambier and Coonawarra

Reactions: whether and skifree

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Registered 13.2 mms out of this event in rain gauge but the hardcore stuff of which pounded Adelaide with flooding rains and cold air tornados failed to eventuate so practically garden variety severe weather where the highest wind gust recorded on my weather station was 50 km/h with an outside temp of 9.6

Hopefully the second half of this year come late winter/early spring delivers the goods in terms decent severe weather events where every part of SA gets an equal share

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Grand total amount of rainfall 15.5 mms somewhat satisfying as it gives farmers down this way hope of a bumper growing season adding in once the IOD goes into neutral territory the storms will most likely be more gnarly than what was seen yesterday however that's still 2 months away yet starting tomorrow being first day of winter

Going by weatherzone app the LSE has surpassed the LTA of 73.8 mms for month of May were now up to 86.4 mms so that's win win plus its also projecting another follow up soaking on the 4-5 of June although nothing indicating to any thunderstorms or severe weather so just plain soaking rain

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Looked up the raincast gfs on BSCH page this is what it came up with seems like the LSE is going to benefit the most from this next round of wet weather with 25-50 mms forecasted although it looks to be only a rain event pure and simple no thunderstorms or severe winds at this stage as wz app says the SE is only forecasted to get 5-10 mms
rainfall .jpg

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
I'm back after some R&R up north in the Flinders Ranges.
The native pines looked in pretty good condition with plenty of new growth, probably from good late summer & autumn rainfall.

My partner took care of the rain gauge measurements in my absence. From the 25/5 to 1/6, we had 54.5mm of rain with 30.8mm falling on Sun -> Mon.

May 2022 rainfall ended up being 85.2mm falling over 18 days + 2 days dew (0.1mm). Second wettest May since 2014, the wettest being in 2019 with 89.0mm.

Corresponding figures for the airport were 63.2mm over 15 days.

YTD at home now 180.8mm while at the airport 146.3mm.

I was camped near Blinman from 25/5 until 30/5.
On the Wed evening, we had a deluge when a towering cloud lost its load mid evening flooding the annexe of my friend's campertrailer. The cloud failed to ignite though :(.

Thu, Fri & Sat days were partly cloudy which cleared to cold and a bit dewy nights. When I finished observing on Sat at 3:10am & Sun at 1:00am, the car thermometer read 3C. I was wearing an appropriate number of layers to ward off the cold! My beanie wasn't just damp from the dew, it was very wet on top!

With the threat of a wild & woolly night forecast for Sunday night, I did some preliminary preparations for a fast getaway on Mon morning. When I had set up my van, I had tied a rope over the roof so that it wouldn't blow open. This proved to be critical as I think that definitely would have been a chance to happen.

The wind began to blow strongly from about late Sunday afternoon with rain showers also about. I managed to get in to my van without getting wet. I had some trouble sleeping as the noise of the wind was constant and quite loud with much louder gusts frequently shaking the van resulting in creaking noises.

The preliminary packing proved to be very worthwhile as I managed to lower the roof between rain showers & strong wind gusts on Monday morning. When I left, the wind was a cross-tail wind from the NW. By the time I had reached Booleroo Centre, it was a cross wind from the W. From Jamestown, for a short time it was a cross-tail wind from the SW before turning into a cross-head wind from Hallett onwards to Kapunda where it became a head wind on the way to Adelaide.

The Flinders Ranges looked very overcast and dull with frequent mainly light showers on the way home. Very dark & threatening clouds near Wilmington-Melrose. The showers didn't let up until somewhere between Jamestown & Hallett when there was a patch of blue sky and brief sunshine. There was only a very occasional shower after Hallett. The temp was 4C when I left camp and didn't get much above 8C until after Jamestown. When I arrived home it was a "heatwave" with a temp of 15C!

I am hoping that when I next visit my property that it didn't suffer too much wind damage on Sun/Mon. Don't know how much rain has fallen there, but the NRM station at Mypolonga measured 27.6mm from memory.

That's all for now. Apologies for the long post.

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
According to scattered information via weather pages I follow in particularly South Australian Weather on Facebook seems like the LSE is projected to get 30-60 mms out of this next event with MLR looking to be bullseyed with 60-80 mms although there's a real potential for my neck of the woods to push 80 mms just got to sit back and see what unfolds next

Robbie0404

Hard Yards
Feb 28, 2022
Might as well jump on this inbound weather event seeing as Farm Weather won't be online for another hour or so it seems BOM is on the ball as they issued a severe weather warning for damaging winds in an selected area stretching from Adelaide Metro right down to Lower South East for tomorrow evening which is surprisingly well in advance for them as warnings are usually issued early on the day of event happening

Rainfall wise they are still projecting my neck of the woods to get at least 2 inches of rain although that potential for it to crack 80-100 mms isn't out of the possibility

betsuin

Addicted
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
Well a nice bit of rain here today (Fri).
Headed out first thing this morning and slightly surprised as to light rain on the wind-screen.
Some showers out the office windows this arvo and a wet drive home - nah, didn't cycle :-/
Showers into the evening, yet to check the rain gauge.. WZ reports 2.6mm for West Tce.

BSCH GFS shows plenty of precipitation Saturday into and through Sunday.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 9.22.07 pm.png

Reactions: ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
the last time i checked the rain gauge and emptied it
was last tuesday at 5pm. i should have checked it before
yesterday morning to finish off the last system but forgot.
having said that checking it now has given me 12.6mm.
see what the rest of the weekend brings.

TH

Reactions: wernerk

ThÜñDå HûÑtÅ

One of Us
Jul 19, 2019
well aint this just the ducks guts...
if were gunna have crap weather then it night as well as
be proper crap to the max.
just the sort of weather to be sitting out on the back lawn
around a card table playing canasta and mainlining fortified
port on a regulated drip.
and if this aint bad enough... well... bring on tomorrah.

TH

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass