Safety Concern re Buller Adverts

lonsdale

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2001
Melbourne
Received an email today promoting Mount Buller and the 2022 Winter Season. After flicking through links and pages attached to the promotional email I was very alarmed to note a serious number (in my opinion) of photos of skiers NOT wearing a helmet.
Safety is promoted as a priority by Mount Buller Management and Operations.
It is unfortunate that whoever was responsible and approved the release of Mount Buller promotional material that included a number of photos of guests on the slopes Not wearing a Helmet did not adhere to the Safety protocols that Buller should be promoting.
It may be an ADULTS choice to not wear a helmet,(compulsory for children); but it is in my opinion poor form to show adult guests not wearing a Helmet.
I hope that Management takes this concern on board and removes photos of Skiers Not wearing a Helmet from all their promotional material.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 15.16.52.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 15.15.45.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 15.14.05.png

• Haha
Reactions: lewis
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Received an email today promoting Mount Buller and the 2022 Winter Season. After flicking through links and pages attached to the promotional email I was very alarmed to note a serious number (in my opinion) of photos of skiers NOT wearing a helmet.
It is unfortunate that whoever was responsible and approved the release of Mount Buller promotional material that included a number of photos of guests on the slopes Not wearing a Helmet did not adhere to the Safety protocols that Buller should be promoting.
It may be an ADULTS choice to not wear a helmet,(compulsory for children); but it is in my opinion poor form to show adult guests not wearing a Helmet.
I hope that Management takes this concern on board and removes photos of Skiers Not wearing a Helmet from all their promotional material.

Reminds me of a few years ago when Lake Mountain did a promo of kids tobogganing without gloves. I told the mountain that I thought it was inappropriate. They didn't change a thing. I had customers telling me I was trying to rort them by selling gloves when the mountain clearly didn't see them as necessary gear.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Is this a joke? You seem unreasonably annoyed by something that doesn't impact you in the slightest? Unless you have some stake in Buller's public image which would at least make a bit more sense.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
from my experience/observations the vast majority of people wear helmets. I'm guessing Hothan must have done some digging to find beanie wearers

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Hi Karen.

Reactions: gareth_oau
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I actually don't get this thread. Its Mt Buller for gods sake.

Apparently if you go to Buller somebody without a helmet might ski, blade or board close by and if they run into you they might hurt their head.

So if you go to Buller take care not to hurt other folks heads.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Thredbo's marketing man "Captain Keen" doesn't wear a helmet so you may want to look into writing some emails to them as well :)

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
My first "brain saved by helmet" incident was at Buller. On the link trail to the top of LBS I was doing tiny turns on the hardpack surface for fun then I caught an edge and Wham! ....head met hardpack with an alarming amount of kinetic energy. Felt a little dazed, has a rest for a few minutes then continued on. Knowing a bit more about concussion now, I should have gone to a cafe for a longer rest and had my wife assess me for cognitive impairment i. e. more than my normal level.

• Wow
Reactions: Tanuki

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
My first "brain saved by helmet" incident was at Buller. On the link trail to the top of LBS I was doing tiny turns on the hardpack surface for fun then I caught an edge and Wham! ....head met hardpack with an alarming amount of kinetic energy. Felt a little dazed, has a rest for a few minutes then continued on. Knowing a bit more about concussion now, I should have gone to a cafe for a longer rest and had my wife assess me for cognitive impairment i. e. more than my normal level.
Sorry to dissapoint, but helmets can't protect you from concussion, they don't absorb enough force. They'll protect you from fractures and lacerations.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
I remember a number of years ago Falls introduced a policy that all skiers/boarders in promotional material needed to be wearing helmets. One of their main ski models at the time didn't ski in a helmet and for us that knew him it was funny seeing him in pics with a photoshopped helmet.

Reactions: Chaeron

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Not even the new Anon ones? Wavecel tech.
I hadn't seen that stuff. I'll have to get a helmet with wavecel on next winter when I'm due for a new Helmet.

Wavecel is a big improvement The previous literature on en1077 peformance had helmets transmitting a shock of between 120 and 210g. Wavecel delivers only 90g, but still not good enough to protect against most concussion which presents with an impact of 50g.

Reactions: skifree and Donza

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Sorry to dissapoint, but helmets can't protect you from concussion, they don't absorb enough force. They'll protect you from fractures and lacerations.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
MIPS helps, but you'll suffer less rotational impact with your bare head or a beanie which allows much more movement than a MIPS helmet.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Yes, more of a "skull saved by helmet" incident. Any significant hit now and I'd go sit down near the medical station and get a ski buddy to ask me questions to see if I make any less sense than usual and if not, seek medical assistance. Given that helmet technology has advanced in the last few years is a good time to get a new one with MIPS and a side serve if dips and lips. A helmet may also help with preventing penetration by a stray ski tip, a wayward go pro pole, the leading edge of a rampant snowboard or a pointy branch.
A good preventative measure is to only ski in places with nice soft snow but that's a bit difficult to achieve in Oz.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Yes, more of a "skull saved by helmet" incident. Any significant hit now and I'd go sit down near the medical station and get a ski buddy to ask me questions to see if I make any less sense than usual and if not, seek medical assistance. Given that helmet technology has advanced in the last few years is a good time to get a new one with MIPS and a side serve if dips and lips. A helmet may also help with preventing penetration by a stray ski tip, a wayward go pro pole, the leading edge of a rampant snowboard or a pointy branch.
A good preventative measure is to only ski in places with nice soft snow but that's a bit difficult to achieve in Oz.
You should be replacing your helmet every 3 to 5 winters, in accordance with the instructions on the box.

Reactions: skifree

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
I was sconned in the back of my head by a t-bar that a lifty accidentally let go at the bottom of Kofflers. I dare say if I wasn’t wearing a helmet, I would have had pretty sore head.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I was sconned in the back of my head by a t-bar that a lifty accidentally let go at the bottom of Kofflers. I dare say if I wasn’t wearing a helmet, I would have had pretty sore head.
Not to mention all the nervous nellies who slam the safety bar down on your head while you're still getting comfy on the chairlift.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass