Safety travel route Melbourne to Jindabyne

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by SEN123, Jul 18, 2017.

1. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

From what I've heard of the Barry Way, I'd never attempt it. I don't like dirt roads at the best of times.

2. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Its a beautiful drive.
    A bit rough in winter at times.
    I have driven it a couple of times for overnight trips to jindi. Camp there, drive the rest in morning.

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I don't mind dirt road (was all what was everyone worried about, when i drove brown mtn) and loe the barry way.

The only issue i had the first time i did was i felt liek i was being forced off the road by big convoys of 4wd. But when no one on the orad i loved it.

When we drove it at Easter - it was awesome.

I am also not bothered by NZ roads either, but nervous passengers do my head in. Although i am a nervous passenger... haha.

4. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

btw i reckon google overestimates the time it would take to drive the barry way. i think from certain parts of melbourne it would be the quickest route.

5. Barras

Barras Active Member

I drive up from Melbourne every couple of weeks, usually along the Alpine way, due to it being the quickest way, from Khancoban to Thredbo you just need to cruise along due to the corners, two weeks ago was the first time i haven't seen any deer on the road (usually around Geehi), but did see about 12 owls, i'm travelling along this stretch about 9-11pm, I've done the trip through Bombala, but it takes a bit longer, bitumen the whole way.

dawooduck likes this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

The OP is nervous about the Alpine Way. By what perverse twist of fate is the Barry Way in the mix?

sbm, dawooduck, Ozgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I also think that the reason for not liking the Alpine Way is very relevant. Unless we know what the issue is for OP then we could be recommending somewhere worse for them.

If they hated Alpine Way when is was icey, that's quite different to hating wildlife or sense of remoteness or kamikaze drivers or twistines...

(Personally I think Alpine Way is best in most conditions but that is of little relevance to OP)

8. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Exactly. Barry Way is great in it's own way but I can't think of any way in which it could be recommended to someone who is not comfortable on Alpine Way)

9. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

its not. Read thread

10. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

We mentioned this earlier.

11. Barras

Barras Active Member

The +1 absolutely hates the Alpine way at night, now i just drive at about 60,on the 7th of July there was snow on the road from about the Pilots look out until Thredbo, on the Sunday it was the same but also had a 2wd car off the side at Cascades.

Times wise i guess it all depends on where you are leaving from.

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Isn't heaps of it 60 anyway?

13. Barras

Barras Active Member

Most of it yes, but there are some stages of 80, but it is probably the only road that i drive when the advisory sign says 35kph around the bend, i slow down to 35.

14. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Active Member

hear hear. The number of times hoons in 4WDs overtake on bendy roads....what do they have to prove - cheers

This post has opened up another way to Jindy for me. I get over the NE routes sometimes. I've driven down to near Cann River so would definitely consider that way. There's also single lane highways of course.

15. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Reckon, thinking and doing it are different. I did the Barry Way again at the end of summer. Lovely drive but in no way is it quicker. Everyone should do it when they have some time. Great lookouts and camp spots. Swimming and fishing the Snowy. Take it off this menu.

Ozgirl likes this.
  16. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Second that. I came up that way only a few weeks ago and the winding, narrow steep sections are not for fast trips. Deep wash-outs are too common on the NSW side of the border. Deer are everywhere and the feral horses are also a menace. The road is absolutely covered in horse poo!
    The bitumen road via Dalgety to Cann River was in better nic than the Princess Hwy. Nice drive.

17. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I'm driving the Alpine Way tomorrow - looking forward to it. The middle third of that road is amazing.

18. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

19. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

qw recently visited Hotham from Melbourne and then carried on up the Alpine way via Thredbo to Jindabyne.

Magnificent drive, with some iconic scenery along the way

20. fenrir

fenrir Active Member

+1 for the Princess Highway to Cann River then north to Bombala as the easiest drive. From Bombala take the Snowy River way to Dalgety then turn right on Dalgety Road to Berridale - it's a bit longer but an easier drive than continuing along the Snowy River Way.
    ^ This. Late night be especially careful between Orbost and the NSW border, particularly around Cann River. I found deer in the middle of the road there one night.

pegasusSki and CarveMan like this.
  21. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

That part of the world has incredible amounts of animals at night. I'll never forget driving the road from Bombala east to the Princes Hwy after dark, we had to do about 20, I've never seen anything like it.

alexd, pegasusSki and The Plowking like this.
  22. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Its pretty easy to forget how isolated that corner of Australia is, there isnt much from Lakes Entrance all the way across to Eden and its heavily forested, take away the Grey nomads and people on holiday it does not get a lot of traffic .

CarveMan and pegasusSki like this.
  23. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Avoid at animal times for sure. Just cant go at speed limit at all

24. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Just got to Jindy. I reckon OP, and any nervous snow/country driver wouldn't have had the best time on the Alpine way today.

Ozgirl, Seth, climberman and 2 others like this.
  25. alexd

alexd Dedicated Member

I'm in Thredbo, that drive musta been a hoot this arvo!

CarveMan likes this.
  26. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

The Barry Way is a beautiful road trip . It would be a bit hairy in white season, some sections climb up to about 1250 M.,so chains could be useful and rock falls and landslides are not unheard of up that route. Be sure to have your car in good working order. If you break down out there then good luck.I still think the road from Khancoban to Thredbo is the best bet but I would not drive it in the dark during the declared snow season. I usually drive up there in spring.

27. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Loved it.

dawooduck and Ozgirl like this.
  28. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Given its snowing in jindy I'm not sure they'd be comfortable any direction.

CarveMan likes this.
  29. Sno Sno SNO

Sno Sno SNO Active Member

Coming from Adelaide the only real 2 options are Tumut / Snowy Mountains Highway or Alpine Way into the back of Thredbo, so done them many a year, summer and winter.
    Dead Horse Gap on Alpine Way is 1580m, the Snowy Highway reaches about 1490 near Kiandra, so there is no real difference in max altitude reached, and on the Snowy Hwy you're up over 1000m altitude for a lot longer.

Much prefer Alpine Way - oodles shorter which means you can do it at 60 (or less) and still be way ahead and if its been snowing like the last couple of days, less of it is at the dangerous altitudes of snow and ice. My preference only...

Only time I don't like the Alpine way is coming down it from Thredbo, especially in a snowstorm around ANZAC day in 2008 in a 2wd with a trailer on. :eek:

dawooduck likes this.
  30. NewTurns

NewTurns Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Agree. Snowy Mtns Hwy is a real drive over the 'roof'. Bit hairy if it gets late and it is bad weather. Alpine Way more sheltered.

31. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

We drove from Adelaide a few years ago to Jindy in late July for a half season and could not make up my mind weather to go alpine way or Tumut and Snowy Mountain Hwy (in a 2wd).Time was not really to much of an issue and snow was forecast just prior to our arrival, so we stayed in Tumut overnight and stuck to the SMH , only because I thought they would put more effort in keeping it open and clear of snow.

32. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Twin turbo V8 4WD loungeroom with snow tyres .... hooting :thumbs:

CarveMan likes this.
  33. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Best to just find a comfortable place on the lounge and stay home.

NewTurns and Ozgirl like this.