Safety travel route Melbourne to Jindabyne

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Convo about 'remote' and barry way starts in #93 which is quoted in #95. Jumping from road to road.
I think @skichanger's point was that the Alpine way is ALSO remote in some ways. Not as remote as Barry Way but still lots of no mobile coverage and often a long time between cars.

We had a recent bad experience with a breakdown on a road elsewhere that had traffic every few minutes but no mobile coverage. We manged to contact help ourselves (coverage was within cycling distance) but I was astounded at how few slowed down to see if we needed assistance.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I think @skichanger's point was that the Alpine way is ALSO remote in some ways. Not as remote as Barry Way but still lots of no mobile coverage and often a long time between cars.

We had a recent bad experience with a breakdown on a road elsewhere that had traffic every few minutes but no mobile coverage. We manged to contact help ourselves (coverage was within cycling distance) but I was astounded at how few slowed down to see if we needed assistance.
Exactly! And when we see a breakdown on the Alpine way we stop and check they are ok cause who knows how long before they will see another vehicle passing by.

Barras

Addicted
Aug 15, 2011
Exactly! And when we see a breakdown on the Alpine way we stop and check they are ok cause who knows how long before they will see another vehicle passing by.
I don't get phone coverage from Khancoban to Thredbo, and we didn't get phone coverage along most of the Barry way either.

Parts of the Barry way are still unpaved gravel.
Not unpaved gravel but dirt, or mud in my case for about 100K's, i would have loved to have gravel to drive on.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I don't get phone coverage from Khancoban to Thredbo, and we didn't get phone coverage along most of the Barry way either.
My only concern is safety. Because we assume most places have mobile phone coverage it becomes an issue when something happens when we don't have coverage. Most of the people we have helped on the Alpine Way have been quite shocked that there was no phone coverage. We rescued a family with 2 really young children at 9pm at night one time. They had set of from Khancobin in a vehicle with an overheating radiator. We were the only car they had seen. They had no idea that they would be unable to phone the NRMA if something happened.

Even some of the road between Jindabyne and Thredbo has no coverage. But there is enough traffic that it is less of an issue.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
My only concern is safety. Because we assume most places have mobile phone coverage it becomes an issue when something happens when we don't have coverage. Most of the people we have helped on the Alpine Way have been quite shocked that there was no phone coverage. We rescued a family with 2 really young children at 9pm at night one time. They had set of from Khancobin in a vehicle with an overheating radiator. We were the only car they had seen. They had no idea that they would be unable to phone the NRMA if something happened.

Even some of the road between Jindabyne and Thredbo has no coverage. But there is enough traffic that it is less of an issue.

No phone reception. You mean i've got to talk to a stranger? Funny how it is seen as such a big issue today, yet 20 years ago noone had a mobile phone and up until 5-10 years ago reception in many areas was much worse than it is now.

In a few more years there will be a whole generation of people that can't walk to the nearest assistance and ask for help, flag down a passing car etc.. Hard for people to know you need help if you can't ask for it.

Reactions: GS

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
No phone reception. You mean i've got to talk to a stranger? Funny how it is seen as such a big issue today, yet 20 years ago noone had a mobile phone and up until 5-10 years ago reception in many areas was much worse than it is now.

In a few more years there will be a whole generation of people that can't walk to the nearest assistance and ask for help, flag down a passing car etc.. Hard for people to know you need help if you can't ask for it.

Twenty years ago there were hardly any deer on the roads either. If there's no reception how does one instantly upload the pic of a deer sitting on the bonnet?

I love the Barry way but as has been said, lots of care required. Rode the motorbike from Jindy to Black mountain turnoff a couple of years back when the road was dry and had the front step out more than once, even on the straight sections - the back wheel was hardly ever behind the front. Parts of the road are very greasy, wet or dry. Awesome corner of Aus mid winter when it seems the entire route is devoid of people.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I am looking at driving the Cann River to Bombala to Jindy to Guthega Power station route in Late August. I will use it either from Melb. or to return to Melb. I would assume that a motel stop in Cann River would make the trip between Jindy and Melbourne( or vice versa) a two day journey.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am looking at driving the Cann River to Bombala to Jindy to Guthega Power station route in Late August. I will use it either from Melb. or to return to Melb. I would assume that a motel stop in Cann River would make the trip between Jindy and Melbourne( or vice versa) a two day journey.

We use this way quite a bit from the SE burbs. It’s a pretty good road these days - mostly - there’s a short section of gravel on the ‘short-cut’ on the way to Dalgety/Maffra. But the short cut is still worth it.

you’ll be fine and it’s more interesting (fun?) to do a circuit. If by chance the snow is deep at Dead Horse Gap, then the Monaro is even better value.

Cann R is quite small - there’s only a few motels, a Hotel, a Caravan Park and some guest houses.
If it’s late and you’ve got the time in your program, why not stay? You could visit the coast for a day/half day on the way out/back? But it’s doable in a long day if you keep it moving. It may be getting dark or be dark if you leave at say 9am.

You could stay at Dalgety, there’s some affordable cabins and you’re less than an hour from Jindabyne but without Jindabyne hassles or pricing? You can access Dalgety via the shortcut off the Monaro too.

Apple Maps says it’s about 600 km or 7 hours (without stops) to Dalgety. And another hour to Island Bend. Then add some time for peak traffic (foodie stop?) through Jindabyne. Simple! :cool:

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
We use this way quite a bit from the SE burbs. It’s a pretty good road these days - mostly - there’s a short section of gravel on the ‘short-cut’ on the way to Dalgety/Maffra. But the short cut is still worth it.
I assume you are talking about the The Snowy Way. I can report good news that it is all sealed now.

I have used this route over 30 times + return in the last few years. Unfortunately to often at night. Have hit one wombat in that time. At least 10 very close calls.

The worse sections for animals I found to be the bushy section, Jindi side of the Maffra Rd intersection. Also just before coming into the eastern side of Dalgety and just before The Station Resort. Mainly roos and wombats on these sections. Have had issues with loose cattle on the section between Dalgety and Ando.
The rest of the trip is a lot easier. The Monaro from Ando through Bombala to the Vic border was rarely a issue. Care needed from the the Vic border to Cann River, wombats and very big deer. Didn't see many live animals between Cann River and Bairnsdale, but there is certainly plenty of road kill. Maybe the secret is to follow a truck and let them "Plough" the road!
Oddly enough one of the biggest scares I had was on the highway between Sale and Taralgon, coming back from Thredbo. 1hr from home and all the hard driving done and right in the middle of the lane was a huge wombat. I missed it somehow despite the heavy eyes.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
We drove home from Jindy via Cann River in 2019 because of heavy snow on our last day. We got away relatively early as my wife dislocated her elbow the previous day, so as appealing as the powder was, the priority was getting her and our then-3-year-old home. For the journey from Jindy I had originally planned to overnight in Cann River, but because of the earlier start we opted for accommodation in Sale to make the second day shorter.

I'm based in the north of Melbourne, just near the Ring Road, and unless there's good snow forecast which could close the Alpine Way, I'd opt to travel via Khancoban as it's about 100km and 1.5hours shorter for me.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
We drove home from Jindy via Cann River in 2019 because of heavy snow on our last day. We got away relatively early as my wife dislocated her elbow the previous day, so as appealing as the powder was, the priority was getting her and our then-3-year-old home. For the journey from Jindy I had originally planned to overnight in Cann River, but because of the earlier start we opted for accommodation in Sale to make the second day shorter.

I'm based in the north of Melbourne, just near the Ring Road, and unless there's good snow forecast which could close the Alpine Way, I'd opt to travel via Khancoban as it's about 100km and 1.5hours shorter for me.
Bit of a no-brainer from the north - I could suggest you’ve got the ideal base for the ‘bigs’ up north, inc. NSW. From the Caulfield /SE subs it’s much more 50/50 - especially leaving in the peak - or going to Jindabyne/ Perisher.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I assume you are talking about the The Snowy Way. I can report good news that it is all sealed now.

I have used this route over 30 times + return in the last few years. Unfortunately to often at night. Have hit one wombat in that time. At least 10 very close calls.

The worse sections for animals I found to be the bushy section, Jindi side of the Maffra Rd intersection. Also just before coming into the eastern side of Dalgety and just before The Station Resort. Mainly roos and wombats on these sections. Have had issues with loose cattle on the section between Dalgety and Ando.
The rest of the trip is a lot easier. The Monaro from Ando through Bombala to the Vic border was rarely a issue. Care needed from the the Vic border to Cann River, wombats and very big deer. Didn't see many live animals between Cann River and Bairnsdale, but there is certainly plenty of road kill. Maybe the secret is to follow a truck and let them "Plough" the road!
Oddly enough one of the biggest scares I had was on the highway between Sale and Taralgon, coming back from Thredbo. 1hr from home and all the hard driving done and right in the middle of the lane was a huge wombat. I missed it somehow despite the heavy eyes.

Thanks for the update, my group are travelling that way in early September. With wildlife, definitely better to go daytimes as always - but most of Gippsland, especially east of Bairnsdale.

The big wildlife scares me a bit, have had a few close ones. I use roo scarers - they seem to work but then again, I haven’t hit an elephant either! ;)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The big wildlife scares me a bit, have had a few close ones. I use roo scarers - they seem to work but then again, I haven’t hit an elephant either!
No need for an elephant as a wombat will do. A friend is currently in Canberra hospital with a long recovery ahead after hitting a wombat. So everyone driving out of daylight hours please take care.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Thanks for the update, my group are travelling that way in early September. With wildlife, definitely better to go daytimes as always - but most of Gippsland, especially east of Bairnsdale.

The big wildlife scares me a bit, have had a few close ones. I use roo scarers - they seem to work but then again, I haven’t hit an elephant either! ;)
We drove the snowy river way years ago before dawn and in fog.
Didn't see many animals...
Until the sun rose.
We were surrounded by hundreds of Kangaroos just chilling in the paddocks.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Its only 7.5 hours from perisher to Melbourne CBD.

Early departure do it in a day.

Stopping over makes me think you want to drive after skiing, during the dark.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

I always do long haul drives when I am fresh and have had a proper night of sleep. I might not rush through East Gippsland and visit a few places of interest en route . Therefore a night halt makes sense to me.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

I’d never do it that time Ozgirl, we like our stops too much! In addition, out Master SG gets quite carsick, so we where we gain 10 mins on the Alpine way to/from Khancoban, we lose 30 mins in the um, recovery? And driving even slower! :eek::oops:

The journey for us 50 somethings is part of the trip. But not super keen on late evening arrivals at each end.
FWIW: The Monaro/Snowy way is probably a bit straighter overall, it’s been a few years, perhaps I forget windy bits near Maffra (NSW)?

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
If we go vis Cann river and up, we stay at Orbost , great Motel on the main highway , very comfortable ,, mostly good road , the windy bit up from Cann river to the border is a road to take care on IMO after that morning tea / lunch on Bombala , across the Monaro which i really like driving ,on into Jindy

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I always do long haul drives when I am fresh and have had a proper night of sleep. I might not rush through East Gippsland and visit a few places of interest en route . Therefore a night halt makes sense to me.
Sounds like a good plan! Share spending on both sides of border? There’s some nice spots nea the coast you probably know well as a surfer, walker. Conran, Bemm River, Sydenham Inlet... not sure how far past CR you want to go?

Limited driving stunts is good too. I hope you have the opportunity to change the strike? Mrs SG & I tend to do ~ 90-120min shifts to stay fresh, so yes a R&R stop (even if only 5-10m), longer if coffee, lunch or scones, cream & jam are involved! :p

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
No need for an elephant as a wombat will do. A friend is currently in Canberra hospital with a long recovery ahead after hitting a wombat. So everyone driving out of daylight hours please take care.
Does this friend own a ski shop ;)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Does this friend own a ski shop ;)
Yeah.

The wildlife is taking its toll. My mogul skier hit a roo on the way home on Monday. Go the Volvos, only headlight, blinkers and 3 panels damaged. I think we will leave the doors with dints in them till the end of winter. Only have 1 spare set that are the same colour. And weird that the blinker on the other side of the car was broken.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yeah.

The wildlife is taking its toll. My mogul skier hit a roo on the way home on Monday. Go the Volvos, only headlight, blinkers and 3 panels damaged. I think we will leave the doors with dints in them till the end of winter. Only have 1 spare set that are the same colour. And weird that the blinker on the other side of the car was broken.

Sounds like they were lucky? Do they (you) use roo scarers or Shoo- Roos? For ~ $20 a pair at Repco, they’re good value - most animals (like deer?) are bounding away as we approach. :thumbs: :cool:

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Yeah.

Wildlife is very bad, my luck with them appears to be running out.

Last year a Kangaroo ran into the back of my vehicle just out of Jindy, resulting in rear bumper replacement.

I went up to Perisher pre-season this year almost cleaned up a Kangaroo at 1pm in the afternoon, luckily spotted them and stopped in time.

The headlights in my SUV are rubbish, worried I going to hit something at dawn and dusk. I think I may give those Shoo- Roos a go, placebo maybe, but at $20 better than nothing.

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I think I may give those Shoo- Roos a go, placebo maybe, but at $20 better than nothing.
Placebo - yes. Tested them thoroughly. What works much better is slowing down at night. Better still staying off these roads at night. The main cause of vehicle right offs around Cann river are collisions with deer. Mostly because people still drive at 100 kph.

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
Then you will need a Shoo Roo Black (an Animal Repeller Sonic Whistle). These sonic repellers are an aid in reducing the likelihood of animals colliding with motor vehicles. Wonder if they work?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am talking these little fellas: (I don’t do a 100 km/h at night though in animal territory).

not these expensive things:

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
I am talking these little fellas: (I don’t do a 100 km/h at night though in animal territory).

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/anyone-used-a-shuroo-to-shoo-the-roos.77970/

A couple of posts have links to academic articles. This is the conclusion from one of them"

"Conclusion
The promotional literature proclaiming the scientifically proven efficacy of this ultrasonic deterrence device, the Shu Roo, grossly exaggerates its capabilities. The results of the signal characteristics and behavioural responses generate four clear conclusions:
• The Shu Roo is not purely ultrasonic.
• The Shu Roo does not produce sound that is detectable at 400 m.
• The Shu Roo does not alter the behaviour of either eastern grey kangaroos or red kangaroos.
• The Shu Roo makes no difference to the number of kangaroos hit when fitted to vehicles."

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/anyone-used-a-shuroo-to-shoo-the-roos.77970/

A couple of posts have links to academic articles. This is the conclusion from one of them"

"Conclusion
The promotional literature proclaiming the scientifically proven efficacy of this ultrasonic deterrence device, the Shu Roo, grossly exaggerates its capabilities. The results of the signal characteristics and behavioural responses generate four clear conclusions:
• The Shu Roo is not purely ultrasonic.
• The Shu Roo does not produce sound that is detectable at 400 m.
• The Shu Roo does not alter the behaviour of either eastern grey kangaroos or red kangaroos.
• The Shu Roo makes no difference to the number of kangaroos hit when fitted to vehicles."
Good to know, thought as much… placebo, I will save the $36 :)

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
The back way is awesome on a bike! Bit of a climb!

Drove Dartmouth to Omeo a back way once, looked good on paper, 3hrs to do 100 though......wonder what Siri would have said.

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015

Drove Dartmouth to Omeo a back way once, looked good on paper, 3hrs to do 100 though......wonder what Siri would have said.
If you went via the Razorback, Wombat Post Office and the low road to Omeo Valley now it would take a lot longer than 3 hrs (apart from the seasonal closures). A section of the low road (Kellys) has been closed because it is so bad. Down to Wombat is starting to degrade again. Siri would have enjoyed the scenery. We have done the Razorback and Lightning creek track on the bikes. Need good brakes. Glad we didn't do it the other way though.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Through to Sassafras Gap and Benambra? Some nice, remote country up that way. Much of it has been hit hard by heavy logging and recent fires. I hope it can recover eventually.

FWIW: I recall the ‘old’ Vic Alpine Walking Track used to go further north than the modern version, passing near Mts Sassafras and Pinnibar.

Then Dartmouth was flooded, which apparently blocked the VAWT and the new (longer?) route, way south to the Cobberas was chosen.

My belief is it also took walkers away from the intensive logging around Pinnibar (even though the snowgum section is partly NP) and removed a potential source of conflict?

So now we just drive through the coupes instead! :oops::rolleyes:

or in a good year, ski Pinnibar! :cool:

Reactions: telecrag

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Sounds like they were lucky? Do they (you) use roo scarers or Shoo- Roos? For ~ $20 a pair at Repco, they’re good value - most animals (like deer?) are bounding away as we approach. :thumbs: :cool:
Lucky to be driving a volvo? You may all laugh but it is actually a conscious choice to be driving cars that are almost indestructible. Even old Volvos, which is what ours are, are safer than most modern cars wrt hitting wildlife.

Shoo roos, No we don't. We have heard mixed reports about them. The lightbars have made a difference wrt how early we see them. But.... only so much we can do. We have had a roo jump into the side of the car when we were stationary.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Wildlife is very bad, my luck with them appears to be running out.

Last year a Kangaroo ran into the back of my vehicle just out of Jindy, resulting in rear bumper replacement.

I went up to Perisher pre-season this year almost cleaned up a Kangaroo at 1pm in the afternoon, luckily spotted them and stopped in time.

The headlights in my SUV are rubbish, worried I going to hit something at dawn and dusk. I think I may give those Shoo- Roos a go, placebo maybe, but at $20 better than nothing.
Get a good lightbar. There are ones that really light up the side of the road a fair way ahead. In the most recent incident the driver saw the roo, slowed down steered around it but at the last moment it jumped in front of the car. So whilst there was damage it was less than if they had not seen the roo as afar ahead as they had.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Scam

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass