1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Salomon Guardian 13

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Serenity, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Last year I lashed out and got a pair of these frame bindings mounted on my Fischers and noticed that the mechanism to release the binding so you can walk in it is rather a pain. You have to angle your stock and lever away from you, which sounds simple and easy but is actually quite awkward. Does anyone else have this issue or can I modify it in some way so all I have to do is push directly down?

2. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Same problem... sometimes I get out of the ski and kneel down to release. Sometimes mechanism can freeze, so small can of WD40 is worth carrying

3. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Good idea Hermannator, will try that, might make the mechanism a little easier to use. I don't want to kneel down and release especially when I have a heavy pack on, had that issue with my Marker Kingpins.

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Yeah a little bit painful and can also do in a stock if you're not careful - broke a carbon stock tip off once in Japan.

I've tried a few variations. Cable tie at the right aperture, so I can grab it with my stock handle works OK at home. Can get a bit brittle and break in colder / deeper snow terrain but easy enough to carry spares.

5. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

I guess that begs the question, is there in fact a frame binding that has a push-down release as opposed to a push-back/slide release?

6. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Broke a metal pole tip off in Japan on my one trip using https://www.snowfit.co.uk/tyrolia-adrenalin-13-at-black-green-2018.html
    Same binding I think with co-branding.
    The sliding mechanism seems to be prone to getting stuck in lower temperatures. As well as wd40 maybe some getting loquid ski wax would work.

7. Goski

Disclosre...they were Aldi adjustable poles with hollow tips. I put a big screw in to make it usable again.

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Tyrolia Adrenalin and Fritschi Freeride

Annabuzzy likes this.
  9. Goski

To clarify I broke my pole tip transitioning from ski to walk mode on my Adrenaline 13s without exiting the binding. It is handy when on a flat bit to make the skinless shuffle easier but the mechanism needed more leverage than the pole could stand.

10. Goski

As @CarveMan posted the Tyrolia Adrenaline frames are a push down release to exit the binding like a regular alpine binding. Seemed to ski well but be aware your boot sole high is set a fair way off the ski to accomodate the frame running under the boot. About 30mm if memory serves me. Like having a substantial riser plate.

11. Goski

After busting my pole I put some cord loops onto the ski/walk slider lever to make it easier to use my gloved hand to operate it. If you were skinning then you'd exit the binding to pit skins on anyway and then change the mode by hand before clicking in so it's maybe no big deal to not be using a pole. If you were using a pattern based ski then it would be more desirable to be able to do so.

12. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Neither of these have a push down release for walk mode.

They do to step out of the binding which I’m sure you know. I think the question related to engaging walk mode.

13. Goski

Yes, it's a horizontal movement to engage walk mode or to put it back into ski mode for a Tyrolia Adrenaline binding and that was too much pressure for the hollow pole tip. This is where a nice advantage of the Fritschi heel is that it is a push down or pull up of the alpine style heel lever to switch modes which can be done without disengaing the tech toe. If the OP can afford it getting an AT boot with herl inserts and a Tecton binding would remove the need to bend over to switch modes on the fly. Or come over to the tele side :) Join us....though I've got both tech AT and 75mm tele setups, why be choosy? NTN will be be tried soon.